Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Problems

I can't seem to cut or score a straight line. The cards I cut look okay from the front but turn them over- and what a mess. I have a Fiskars (with the extending arm) and a Carl 12" Profesional Rotary Trimmer. How do I cut the "pefect" card?

TIA!
Malia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

You may already be doing this but be sure to alway pull the cutting blade toward you on the Fiskars cutter (if your paper is lined up at the bottom edge). When cutting in the other direction it can often move the paper away from you since there isn't a "brace" and will cause it to be crooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

My suggestion is to buy a Making Memories rotary self sharpening cutter. AC Moores and Michaels sell them for about 54. If you use a 50% coupon you get it for half that. My reason for suggesting it are these: 1) you get straight lines with a rotary cutter 2) it has a self sharpening blade 3) it comes with a magnetic ruler 4) it folds in half to about 6 inches, but when it unfolds it has a base of 12 inches, not the little stick part that most cutters have that fold out so you can lay a 12 inch piece of paper on it flat, 5) great customer service - there was another thread posted that others claim to have trouble with the marks for different sizes wearing off and they wrote the company about the problem and they sent them a new cutter. Did not ask for a receipt or for the old one to be sent back. I have 3 of them. one for the car for travel, one for home, and one I use at school. Have not had my lines wear out, but I may have the newer verision in which I think they fixed the problem. I went through many different cutters before I found this one and I love it. It is heavy, but that doesn't bother me as long as I have straight lines, and it is not heavy enough that it bothers you to carry it from place to place if you need to do so. Hope this helps.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
My suggestion is to buy a Making Memories rotary self sharpening cutter. AC Moores and Michaels sell them for about 54. If you use a 50% coupon you get it for half that. My reason for suggesting it are these: 1) you get straight lines with a rotary cutter 2) it has a self sharpening blade 3) it comes with a magnetic ruler 4) it folds in half to about 6 inches, but when it unfolds it has a base of 12 inches, not the little stick part that most cutters have that fold out so you can lay a 12 inch piece of paper on it flat, 5) great customer service - there was another thread posted that others claim to have trouble with the marks for different sizes wearing off and they wrote the company about the problem and they sent them a new cutter. Did not ask for a receipt or for the old one to be sent back. I have 3 of them. one for the car for travel, one for home, and one I use at school. Have not had my lines wear out, but I may have the newer verision in which I think they fixed the problem. I went through many different cutters before I found this one and I love it. It is heavy, but that doesn't bother me as long as I have straight lines, and it is not heavy enough that it bothers you to carry it from place to place if you need to do so. Hope this helps.
sam
Amen, Sam. I'm one of those that got a brand new trimmer when the lines faded on mine. This is a wonderful trimmer, and a great company makes it.

I think you are right about them fixing the fading problem. My trimmer was purchased a while back. The new one they sent me seems to have a different finish on the base, so the lines don't fade at all.

Like you said, this is the best trimmer I have had, and I had several different ones before I found it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I really, really think some of the paper we buy is cut crooked to begin with. I can't tell when I have cut it, but then when I score and fold a card, the edges do not meet perfectly. My trimmer cuts very straight unless I do not put it in straight to begin with. And I am using my scor-pal to score. The edges never, never meet perfectly straight on my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the same problem with the uneven paper and I am using a Fiskar trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.....I have several different cutters that are each very good for different purposes.

The trimmers with the extension arms are fine but you need to remember to extend that arm out so it is totally lever with the top of the cutter. Also don't bend your paper down to see the marking for length of your cut, you will add on a fraction of extra paper.

All cutting should be from top to bottom no matter what cutter you are using.

When you use your Scor-Pal also score from top to bottom. Then gently fold the paper with the mountain to the inside. Take your bone folder and work from the middle of your fold out to the end creasing. Go back to the middle and do the other side from center to outside edge. Then finally crease from top to bottom. That way your corners will line up.

I do also agree that not all paper is cut square from the manufacturer. The only way to deal with that is to use a T ruler to mark and cut the paper square.

A way to check also is to measure from side to side in 3 different places on your paper to see if it truly is squarely cut.

(by square I mean corners are at perfect right angles)

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I bought a 30-60-90 drafting triangle from Staples. I butt it up against the top or bottom of my trimmer at the right measurement and then snug my paper into the 90 degree corner that it makes. I get MUCH straighter cuts when doing this. There is just too much chance to "wiggle" the paper particularly if there is no line all the way down for the measurement that you are using.

It was only about $4 or $5. And if you have two triangles, you can make amazingly accurate parallel lines by sliding the triangles against each other. ;) (I spent quite a bit of time drafting LOL~)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have a dreamkuts that I use a lot for cutting cards becuase I can cut a piece of paper in two perfectly. Works like a dream.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Tonic paper cutter and Scor-Pal makes it perfect every time...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I bought a 30-60-90 drafting triangle from Staples. I butt it up against the top or bottom of my trimmer at the right measurement and then snug my paper into the 90 degree corner that it makes. I get MUCH straighter cuts when doing this. There is just too much chance to "wiggle" the paper particularly if there is no line all the way down for the measurement that you are using.

It was only about $4 or $5. And if you have two triangles, you can make amazingly accurate parallel lines by sliding the triangles against each other. ;) (I spent quite a bit of time drafting LOL~)
While I've never 'drafted', I do use a similar straight-edged quilting ruler with my Carl Cutter to be sure the paper is butted up snugly to a straight edge. My cutter makes a marvelous 'cut', but I do feel the added straight-edge barrier is a requirement for straight cuts. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes