Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious - about Amuse Stamps

Good Morning, Everyone!

Curious - one of our LSS alluded to some changes at Amuse Stamps - they have placed their last order with them and it appears that either they will no longer be around or have changed their sales practices....anyway something has changed. I tried to google the company but couldn't find anything. They seemed to be a popular line - and with a bunch of classes.

Does anyone know what's going on with Amuse Stamps? Are they going out of business? merging? changing their sales practices? something eles? I'm sure that I missed something....just curious!

Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go right to their site and shop all you want! They are not going out of business, your store just may not want to buy them or they have something else in mind...

A Muse: Rubber stamps, COPIC markers and Mandy's World

I shop here all the time!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

isn't jullieHHR on their design team? JULIE??? Where are you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

A Muse will no longer be selling wholesale, however, you are welcome to shop from their own site and in their brick & mortar store in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle. There are some new and exciting changes coming to A Muse!!

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 01-04-2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: removed promotional language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, and you can follow them on Facebook and on their blog. There are links to those features from their main website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
Good Morning, Everyone!

Curious - one of our LSS alluded to some changes at Amuse Stamps - they have placed their last order with them and it appears that either they will no longer be around or have changed their sales practices....anyway something has changed. I tried to google the company but couldn't find anything. They seemed to be a popular line - and with a bunch of classes.

Does anyone know what's going on with Amuse Stamps? Are they going out of business? merging? changing their sales practices? something eles? I'm sure that I missed something....just curious!

Thanks in advance!
I got this email too for Ink About It. I usually always get a few Amuse stamps when I make a trip up there. I am disappointed that Amuse isn't selling wholesale anymore. While I have ordered from their website several times and their shipping times are always REALLY fast I always like the option of being able to get them at a brick and mortar store and not having to pay for shipping.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I got this email too for Ink About It. I usually always get a few Amuse stamps when I make a trip up there. I am disappointed that Amuse isn't selling wholesale anymore. While I have ordered from their website several times and their shipping times are always REALLY fast I always like the option of being able to get them at a brick and mortar store and not having to pay for shipping.
I think their shipping is high. But they are having a really good sale right now on their seasonal stamps. :p.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I got this email too for Ink About It. ....fast I always like the option of being able to get them at a brick and mortar store and not having to pay for shipping.
Yep! this is where I found out about it....in Ink About It's newsletter...Hadn't heard anything else before or more till these responses.....I agree, it's sometimes nicer to see a stamp in person and save on the shipping.

Thanks to all for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
I think their shipping is high. But they are having a really good sale right now on their seasonal stamps. :p.
I didn't think shipping was that bad, at least for what I have ordered. It was the actual cost for to send it USPS Priority.

I so far have resisted the sale, but I may cave.

I also realized that they only sell their paper in packages on the website. I love the Shimmer Couture Damask, but I am not paying $16 for a package of one color. Maybe if the sold a variety packs of it I would (I know they have a variety pack of the solid shimmer couture). At least at the brick and mortar store I could buy just one sheet.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I didn't think shipping was that bad, at least for what I have ordered. It was the actual cost for to send it USPS Priority.

I so far have resisted the sale, but I may cave.

I also realized that they only sell their paper in packages on the website. I love the Shimmer Couture Damask, but I am not paying $16 for a package of one color. Maybe if the sold a variety packs of it I would (I know they have a variety pack of the solid shimmer couture). At least at the brick and mortar store I could buy just one sheet.
They do! View 8.5 x 11 Cardstock \\ Shimmer Couture at http://www.amuseartstamps.com

I've always been super impressed with their shipping. I live not too far from the A Muse store, but with little kids at home, I still opt to shop online most of the time. It's not uncommon for me to receive my packages the next day! Crazy!

I am on the design team, so I'm obviously a huge fan, but I don't get special treatment as far as shipping. Their shipping is just really fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
They do! View 8.5 x 11 Cardstock \\ Shimmer Couture at http://www.amuseartstamps.com

I've always been super impressed with their shipping. I live not too far from the A Muse store, but with little kids at home, I still opt to shop online most of the time. It's not uncommon for me to receive my packages the next day! Crazy!

I am on the design team, so I'm obviously a huge fan, but I don't get special treatment as far as shipping. Their shipping is just really fast.
Clearly I don't pay attention to details, I just looked at the grid of colors that are included in the variety pack and assumed it was just the solid colors. I never looked at the title or the drop down menu!

I still do like the option of just buying single sheets though.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
Yep! this is where I found out about it....in Ink About It's newsletter...Hadn't heard anything else before or more till these responses.....I agree, it's sometimes nicer to see a stamp in person and save on the shipping.

Thanks to all for the info!
Linda had posted a message to followers of the A Muse Lounge (A Muse Forum) announcing the change. If you weren't a member of the lounge, you would have missed the announcement.

I agree, it's great to see and feel products in a real brick & mortar store, but they are disappearing all around us, which I'm sure, resulted in their decision to change the way they will do business. You are lucky to still have a B&M store nearby. Be sure to support it with purchases!!! Unfortunately, many folks do not have this option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #13  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts

The last time I was in Ink About it, they mentioned the change, I then came home and did a little research and could not find the answer. I figured that they were just selling them themselves. I will miss seeing then "in person".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm disappointed too. It has been a great way for me to support my LSS: Stamper's Cottage in St. Charles, Illinois. They are selling their current inventory, but no new stamps will be coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

No stores near me sell Amuse so I order from the website all the time. The shipping is fast to Canada. Right now is the first time I have waited for a package for over 2 weeks (I am in Canada and I usually get stuff within a week of it being posted), but I think its just because of all the Christmas closures with the post office etc. So I'm hoping maybe the package will be in my mailbox tomorrow (my last day before going back to work) - it would be a great way to end my holiday. I also have a second order just shipped today! Yup, love Amuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I'm disappointed too. It has been a great way for me to support my LSS: Stamper's Cottage in St. Charles, Illinois. They are selling their current inventory, but no new stamps will be coming.
I'm from Illinois, too, and like to look at the various new releases at local stores. With so many vendors going strictly online or from one store in a place like Seattle (which doesn't help those of us in Illinois, LOL!), it makes it that much harder on the local stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
I'm from Illinois, too, and like to look at the various new releases at local stores. With so many vendors going strictly online or from one store in a place like Seattle (which doesn't help those of us in Illinois, LOL!), it makes it that much harder on the local stores.
I think this will hurt stores who carry Amuse. I know for myself one of the primary reasons I go to 2 LSS is because they carry Amuse. As much as I want to support LSS it might not be as worth for me to go since one store is 45 mins away and the other is an hour away.

I tried to go to Amuse Lounge to see the annoucement, but no threads show up when I look at the forum.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I think this will hurt stores who carry Amuse. I know for myself one of the primary reasons I go to 2 LSS is because they carry Amuse. As much as I want to support LSS it might not be as worth for me to go since one store is 45 mins away and the other is an hour away.

I tried to go to Amuse Lounge to see the annoucement, but no threads show up when I look at the forum.
I know, i agree. I assume it's more fiscally advantageous for companies to take these measures, but it is a bummer for the local stores which often tend to be owned by people who truly love this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I think this will hurt stores who carry Amuse. I know for myself one of the primary reasons I go to 2 LSS is because they carry Amuse. As much as I want to support LSS it might not be as worth for me to go since one store is 45 mins away and the other is an hour away.......

Well, I do think it will have an impact on both of our local stores (YES, we are very Lucky!) I know that the Amuse A Palooza's were popular promotions/events... and pretty well attended. Once in a store, you may intend to buy just one thing but I don't know a crafter around that does just that - more often we walk out with more products because we've seen something new on the shelves or a sample using a product and it inspires us - so we tend to buy more. So the LSS's will need to find something new to replace the events.

Also, it will probably affect the local AMuse Demo (Jen S.) who came up to teach Amuse classes.... I'm assuming that it will affect her greatly. She was a great promoter of the product, teacher....etc. and maybe had her own store (??) I'm guessing that she will need to make a change in her "job" too - to find a source of income to replace the Amuse work.

I do understand these decisions, but there is always a trickle down effect and I hate to see it impact the little people. I do buy a lot online, and business is changing, but I support our local LSS's alot too. I'm sure that they will find replacement products....but we do need to support them so that they don't go away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The lounge was closed on Dec 31, 2010.

I was an A Muse instructor as well. Yes, this does affect the stores us instructors were teaching at but we have also been affected by the stores around us closing even when A Muse was still selling wholesale. Just as A Muse has had to find new ways to survive, local stamp stores have to find new ways to survive. The responsibility for them to find creative ways to stay in business does not fall on on the manufacturers they were carrying, who may also be struggling to stay alive. Store closings have been occurring left and right for a couple of years now, most especially in the last two years. This is not because A Muse closed their wholesale doors 5 days ago.

It's a Catch-22. The vast amount of online retailers, in general, has hurt the brick & mortar stores. Yet as brick & mortar stores close, it pushes those businesses to either shut down or go online to continue doing business. Same with the manufacturers that relied on these B&M stores to stay open. As their inventory of sales opportunities has shrunk, probably in half, by stores closing, what option do they have to stay in business? I live in a Seattle suburb. Seattle is the home of A Muse, Memory Box, Savvy, Impress, Rubber Soul (who apparently also announced they are closing) and probably a few others I can't think of at the moment. Yet, I've had many LSS's in my own area close in the last few years. It's tough out there. I'd love to see what the number of B&M craft stores out there is (not including chain stores) now compared to what was out there 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #21  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I am not sure what A Muse A Palooza is specifically but my first thought is the owneres of the store will have to create something as fun or more so on their own to keep the excitement going, if it was a big draw for them.

I was just lamenting the closure of the only store in our area (closed about a year ago) and I was also thinking they did nothing exciting or fun. A back room crop now and again, but eh to that. The owner didn't even have exciting ideas posted around.
Unfortunately for her I only discovered she was in business a few months before she closed. I am that shopper that goes in to look around and comes out with well over $100 worth of merch. every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I'm already missing the lounge!

And while I'm sad to see A Muse leave my local shop (Ink About It), I'm pretty excited to see what A Muse can do now that they don't have to spend so much time on the business and logistics of a wholesale operation. At least half of my LSS purchases were A Muse products, but I plan to shop there regularly because their selection is far better than the big box stores and their staff and instructors are fabulous.

Next to holding all that fresh rubber and wood in my hand as I shop, I think the things I'll miss most are the A Muse shoe box swaps organized in the lounge and hosted at IAI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, Sarah, I know my A Muse stamps aren't going anywhere. You can host an A Muse swap and challenge right here on SCS or your own blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't quite understand why the Lounge had to close because A Muse isn't selling to stores anymore.

What did I miss?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

It appears that A muse is evolving into something new these days. The offerings at the A muse store look more like the offerings from a Borders bookstore...silly bands, Japanese erasers, journals and pens and the like. The focus on rubber stamping and paper craft trends just isn't there. I've always thought that A muse and the shop are a very west-coast/Seattle style that doesn't always translate to the rest of the country. A muse has it's own style, and it really hasn't changed a lot in the past five years.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some serious re-branding going on behind the scenes. I have no doubt that it's becoming increasingly expensive to supply to stores. Internet-only stamp companies seems to be the trend these days. Stores carry a huge overhead expense, and I'm sure that Linda has her hands full just running the operation out of her own storefront.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in 2011. Best of luck to all of you A muse gals! Can't wait to see what the future holds for all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer StylesView Post
I don't quite understand why the Lounge had to close because A Muse isn't selling to stores anymore.

What did I miss?
That's a good question -- why did the Lounge close?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorgradView Post
That's a good question -- why did the Lounge close?
I was wondering that, too.

I have always liked Amuse, but I have also always thought they were kind of high priced for their size. it seems prices are kind of rising on stamps, now, all around, and Amuse doesn't seem as bad to me as it once did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer StylesView Post

What did I miss?
I am wondering why it did too. When I went on last night to see what was posted about them not selling wholesale it let me sign up, even though I thought I had already signed up. If it was closed why would they let new people sign up and you would think there would be a not saying that it was closed. I didn't see anything posted on their blog about it or anything in their newsletter (I may have missed it thought). You would think if they wanted to get the word out to everyone that they are no longer going to be selling wholesale they wouldn't have announced it on The Lounge and then closed it so no one could see the news.

From some of the pictures I have seen with the products they are carrying other than stamps and stamping supplies it seems like they are going for a retail store similar to Paper Source.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #29  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by criminalgraceView Post
I'm already missing the lounge!
i've been having withdrawals as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryrose
It appears that A muse is evolving into something new these days...
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch
From some of the pictures I have seen with the products they are carrying other than stamps and stamping supplies it seems like they are going for a retail store similar to Paper Source
i've been a huge a*muse fan for several years. since i'm about as far as i can be from the Seattle store, i've only visited there once. but, the walls are covered with stamps, papers, ideas, etc. i know they sell other things that most likely appeal to their walk-in markets.

although i'm anxious to hear how they're changing their business, i doubt they're leaving their line of really cute stamps.

many posters hers are lucky to have a LSS near by. i don't. and haven't for several years. so, i've purchased from a*muse's online store to get my 'fix'.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
i've been having withdrawals as well!

i've been a huge a*muse fan for several years. since i'm about as far as i can be from the Seattle store, i've only visited there once. but, the walls are covered with stamps, papers, ideas, etc. i know they sell other things that most likely appeal to their walk-in markets.

although i'm anxious to hear how they're changing their business, i doubt they're leaving their line of really cute stamps.

many posters hers are lucky to have a LSS near by. i don't. and haven't for several years. so, i've purchased from a*muse's online store to get my 'fix'.

I don't think they are leaving their line of stamps. Paper Source has their own stamps too. I meant it just seems like they are expanding their selection of non stamping items and the pictures that I see on their blog of the store remind me very much of Paper Source selection of products.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #31  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I don't think they are leaving their line of stamps. Paper Source has their own stamps too. I meant it just seems like they are expanding their selection of non stamping items and the pictures that I see on their blog of the store remind me very much of Paper Source selection of products.
paper source... another store that's not near me ;( i'm JEALOUS!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll never forget the day i came home and found a huge box of Amuse supplies from Linda, the owner. she had read on my blog about some hard times and just sent a bunch of stuff to me. I don't know her at all!

She's first rate in my book and I always bought something amuse when I went to my LSS. I'm anxious to see what Amuse has up its sleeve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You'll notice most of those items are pictured on their blog and not listed for sale on their website. Their retail store is in a retail neighborhood. Lots of passersby who need gifty items to purchase. Cat is right. If you'd ever been to the store you'd see it's chock full of stamps, papers, inks, ribbons, markers, etc, etc. Anything a paper crafter would need. And this is a small shop, people, not a ginormous store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
Having now thought about what I posted, I would like to apologize for my post. I should have contacted the company before complaining about the shipping cost. I didn't give them an opportunity to explain or even to check to see if the shipping calculator was working correctly. That was unfair and I regret my post.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
You'll notice most of those items are pictured on their blog and not listed for sale on their website. Their retail store is in a retail neighborhood. Lots of passersby who need gifty items to purchase. Cat is right. If you'd ever been to the store you'd see it's chock full of stamps, papers, inks, ribbons, markers, etc, etc. Anything a paper crafter would need. And this is a small shop, people, not a ginormous store.
This makes sense, Novell. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm sure the biggest operation at A Muse is the shipping aspect. It's gotta make the job so much easier to ship directly to customers rather than fill shop orders. Perhaps there just needs to be two A muse blogs...one for the store, and one for the craft. As it is now, it makes it appear as is A muse has a split personality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #36  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

in case you're not a subscriber, a*muse sends out weekly newsletters. you can sign up here. not sure if they're continuing it, but each week they have 2 stamps for just $2! i always wait for the newsletter before making my purchase, just in case there's a $2 stamp i have to have i've really built my collection that way.

also, they're having a huge sale going on right now where all holiday stamps are 50% off or more.

not affiliated, just a big fan!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

As mentioned, "like" them on Facebook and sign up for the newsletter.

"If everything stayed the same, there would be no butterflies"! And butterflies are always beautiful!
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all...been lurking up to now.

Did you all see this...They posted a really funny video on a new Facebook page: A Muse Studio | Facebook

Looks like we're gonna' find out what's going on with A Muse pretty soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
No stores near me sell Amuse so I order from the website all the time. The shipping is fast to Canada. Right now is the first time I have waited for a package for over 2 weeks (I am in Canada and I usually get stuff within a week of it being posted), but I think its just because of all the Christmas closures with the post office etc. So I'm hoping maybe the package will be in my mailbox tomorrow (my last day before going back to work) - it would be a great way to end my holiday. I also have a second order just shipped today! Yup, love Amuse.
I adore A Muse and love their stamps (I own a ton). Unfortunately, (if their site is acurate) shipping to Canada is just too high for me. Very interested to see the new changes though...

Last edited by J-Bo; 02-17-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #40  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
i posted some links in this thread... there's a give-away coming up!
now why would SCS delete my thread? and not even say anything to me about it?