Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTMH Torn Off - Which Glue?

Hello all,

I was cleaning a little ballerina stamp (so~ cute) from CTMH set, and the girl's wrist torn off when I scrubbed it on the stampin scrub. I was so stunned. This never happened to me before. I wasn't even scrubbing hard and it was the first time I was using this set. I contacted my consultant and she told me the company can't replace it since I damaged it. She said it's delicate around arms and hands, so I had to be careful. I was surprised that CTMH doesn't guarantee their products. I thought they make the best quality acrylic stamps. I see even "gel-a-tins" will replace the stamps if it got damaged from normal stamping use. It's so disappointing.

*sigh*

Any recommendation on which glue to use to glue the stamp back together?

Thank you,
Sunghee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I had a clear stamp tear and I could not find a glue to hold it together. Instead I just keep the pieces separate and "fix" them together when I put them on the block. It worked OK.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried contacting CTMH directly? I would go to their main website and try to contact their customer service directly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I haven't tried it but I have heard that others have used CTMH's liquid glass to repair their torn stamps.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is why I am glad I only use rubber stamps. It would take some HARD, hard scrubbing to tear a rubber stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,064 Likes on 819 Posts

Gosh, I am surprised that they wouldn't stand over it in some way. I have only ever torn one clear stamp, which was about 3 or 4 years old and was a small sentiment which had been used and used and used, and probably cleaned with StazOn accidentally more than once. I think I'd try just positioning them together on the block, like when you cut a rubber stamp to use bits separately and then just piece them together if you want the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you ladies! I ended up contacting the CTMH via their online form, and this is what they said,

"Currently, the company does not replace stamps that tear or break down due to use. While our stamps are durable, some of the thin or delicate designs can be torn, so we advise the Consultants and customers use care when handling the stamps.

To fix your stamp, you can try using Liquid Glass to reattach the torn bits together. Just put a small bit of the Liquid Glass on the torn part, then hold the pieces together and wipe of the excess glue. Keep holding the pieces together for a good two minutes or so, and this may reconnect the stamp pieces. Though this is not a guaranteed or official technique, I have seen many Consultants recommend it."

I was surprised how fast they responded to my complain. I was able to fix the stamp with the Liquid Glass, but who knows how long it'll hold together. I'm still so sad.

Cook22, StazOn cleaner damages clear stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, this makes me sad. I just had the tip of an H in "Happy Birthday" tear last night and was going to ask here if anyone knew if CTMH might replace it.

I guess I'm going to have to try the liquid glass too (and hope I don't get a clumpy H)

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

this just happened to me today! :( I am so sad, it was the first time using a new stamp set that I just got, and it ripped taking it off the storage sheet! What a bummer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow -- I am going to have to be more careful I guess. Haven't torn one yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

IMHO if it rips when you are removing it from a storage sheet for the first time, you did not damage it while "using" it. Even cheap clear stamps should withstand normal wear and tear. Also, does CMTH put this "handle with care" warning in writing on the stamp sets? I have never purchased anything from them and likely never will after seeing this thread. If there's no written warning, I think there's a problem with trying to enforce their policy. They can't rely on this information to get passed on by their consultants beforehand obviously. I would write them again and let them know that I was boycotting them until they either replace defective product or start making it more durable. Federal and State consumer protection agencies might want to know about this.

That being said, yes, solvent inks like Stazon and the Stazon remover do damage clear stamps. In fact, I have read that even hybrid inks like Versafine or Palette will do it over time. Only dye inks can be safely used on them. There's a reason why they are so much cheaper than unmounted rubber-inferior quality and lack of versatility. I also think you get a much crisper detail with rubber. So unless it's a set you only want to use for a specific purpose for a short time, why bother?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

WOW I don't like the sound of that at all. I could understand if the stamp was 3 or 4 yrs old and it had been used a lot. But for a stamp that is under a yr. old to me this is a manufacturing defect so long as the stamp was well cared for. In fact the whole response leaves a bad taste in my mouth and kind of sounds like BS to me. They should have at least asked to see the stamp.
I think in this day and age that this is not the kind of customer service that ppl are looking for. I have bought from CTMH for years since way back when they were dots and never had a problem with anything. But you can bet next time I am thinking about purchasing from them this will come to mind and make me think twice if this is where I want to spend my money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

It's true that CTMH will not replace the stamp. I was a consultant for quite a few years when I ripped my first stamp. I was shocked and surprised because it tore while using my double scrubber. I wasn't even scrubbing hard. The stamp still works, but it's harder to clean. It seems to me that the newer acrylic sets are different than the ones they first produced. I still like their products, but this is just one of many reasons I resigned from being a consultant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I had left a post earlier about a brand new stamp getting torn today. I emailed the company (Stampendous) and they replied right away that they would replace the entire set. I just thought that was awesome and so great for them to stand behind the products, and it makes me want to tell everyone about them and their great customer service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW! I will not be buying any more stamps from them! There is no reason that they cannot stand behind their products. How sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi,
OP here. I feel guilty. I was planning on quitting SU and sign up with CTMH since I've been enjoying the clear stamps more lately. So, when I found out that CTMH wouldn't replace my torn stamp, I was very disappointed and vowed not to buy their products anymore. But after reading other posters don't want to buy CTMH stamps, I feel bad.

I overestimated CTMH stamp quality. I put the stamp on CTMH block, sprayed SU Stampin' mist (I think) on Stampin' Scrub and casually scrubbed it away. Maybe the stamp lost the clinginess, and the little girl's hand got bent while I was scrubbing and then it ripped apart, I think. I was just stunned to see her hand missing when I stamped it on the paper. So sad... I wish it was another company's stamp that I broke. I would've learned my lesson and would've been very careful with CTMH's. So sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #17  
scrapperazzi

Quote:

Originally Posted by sung1203View Post
Hi,
OP here. I feel guilty. I was planning on quitting SU and sign up with CTMH since I've been enjoying the clear stamps more lately. So, when I found out that CTMH wouldn't replace my torn stamp, I was very disappointed and vowed not to buy their products anymore. But after reading other posters don't want to buy CTMH stamps, I feel bad.

I overestimated CTMH stamp quality. I put the stamp on CTMH block, sprayed SU Stampin' mist (I think) on Stampin' Scrub and casually scrubbed it away. Maybe the stamp lost the clinginess, and the little girl's hand got bent while I was scrubbing and then it ripped apart, I think. I was just stunned to see her hand missing when I stamped it on the paper. So sad... I wish it was another company's stamp that I broke. I would've learned my lesson and would've been very careful with CTMH's. So sad.
Please don't feel bad about letting us know. It is always nice to know if you're going to order from someplace that is more buyer beware.

I'm sorry you lost your new stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes