Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crooked Layers!

I am so frustrated with myself. I have a great paper cutter and can cut good layers -- at least I think I do -- but I always mount them crooked. It really makes a difference. It looks so unprofessional when the layers aren't even.

Will perfect layers make a difference -- or will my layers still be crooked? Any tips on how to adhere them without making a big mess??? Thanks:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:21 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes my layers come out uneven too. I end up trimming and trimming till they look even. It is frustrating and I've ruined so many cards and scrapbook things.

I don't know what else to do except put my layers together without adhesive, and when it looks right, I put tiny pencil marks to align things, then stick them down.

By the way, I went to your gallery and your cards are beautiful.

Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:24 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I always do my mounting first, then trim around all 4 sides using the same mark on my trimmer. Then I mount my next layer. Working from the tio down instead of the bottom up. Does this make sense to you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been having problems also with crooked layers too. I start with the image than mat (layer). It has been frustrating I tried to line it up with the lines in the middle of the cutter instead of bumping it all the way to the top. IE on the Carl cutter I slide the c/s down to the top line of the grid or even down then over to where I want to cut it and align it with the bar thing that helps to align it. I found that helps a little, but it is still frustrating.
I too was wondering about the layering tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkKitty
I always do my mounting first, then trim around all 4 sides using the same mark on my trimmer. Then I mount my next layer. Working from the tio down instead of the bottom up. Does this make sense to you?
I do the same thing, too, and Perfect Layers makes this even easier! I have the same problem- crooked layers- plus I hate measuring. Perfect Layers has helped me avoid both those problems.

The only (slight) negative about it is that it can waste more paper than traditional measuring and cutting (since you have to make the mat a little larger in order to cut it down). But, since it sounds like you're wasting some paper trying to make things "perfect" anyway, you might not notice much of a difference.

Hope that made some sense!

Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkKitty
I always do my mounting first, then trim around all 4 sides using the same mark on my trimmer. Then I mount my next layer. Working from the top down instead of the bottom up. Does this make sense to you?
This is what I do as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Here's another vote for Perfect Layers. It's like Stamp-ama-Jig; once you use it you'll wonder how you did without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I've been pleased with Perfect Layers too. I was having a WHOLE lot more trouble with layers not being just right until I started using it. I think it's worth the expense. There's little more frustrating in stamping/card-making then to have a card assembled & glued, and then it just look 'off'. I've had times when I look at a card I made and keep trying to justify using it (well, it doesn't look THAT off....). That doesn't happen nearly as often now.

"All that glitters is not gold; all who wander are not lost"....Tolkien
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have tried mounting and then trimming and have had uneven results (no pun intended). I may buy Perfect Layers when I go back into buying mode, or maybe I just need to slow down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Have you tried adhering your layers with Mono Multi glue? It takes a few seconds to dry, so there's a little time to wiggle the layer to get it perfectly aligned. I love Mono Multi for that reason, plus it sticks like crazy once it's dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Joan

slow down? hmmm maybe I need to try that too!

Actually - I usually layer in rectangles or squares. So to start with I cut in this order

bottom layer: 5.25 x 4
next up 5 x 3.75
next up 4.75 x 3.5
and so on.

Or - if I'll adhere my top layer to bottom and trim (same technique as stated above - using my trimmer marks - same one for all sides).

That said - I usually have a much easier time if I am stamping and layering using the grid paper. Somehow lining up the bottom layer on the grid seems to help layer the next one up so that its straight. A visual eye trick maybe? but it works!

Happy stamping. COLTS ARE SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS! Oh how I wish SU made a horseshoe stamp!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also have perfect layers and like it alot. But I don't use it all the time.
What I do if I'm not using the perfect layers is to cut all the pieces (usually I layer in 1/8 inch pieces so if my top layer is 1 inch, I know to cut the layer piece 1 1/4 inch). I then take the 1 inch piece, put adhesive on it, and then line up the bottom left corner onto the 1 1/4 inch piece - leaving a 1/8 inch border of course. I find that I can estimate the corner quite well and then before sticking the whole piece down, I will line up the top left corner. Once those are lined up, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Also, I find that if you use the mono multi liquid glue, it gives you enough "wiggle room" to move the layer a little before drying.

Clear as mud?

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Perfect Layers Tool?

Can someone explain how the Perfect Layers tool works please? I've seen it in the catty but it's a small pic and it looks like just a ruler to me! I'm curious as to how it works. TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 AM   #14  
LSN
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I am so frustrated with myself. I have a great paper cutter and can cut good layers -- at least I think I do -- but I always mount them crooked. It really makes a difference. It looks so unprofessional when the layers aren't even.

Will perfect layers make a difference -- or will my layers still be crooked? Any tips on how to adhere them without making a big mess??? Thanks:mrgreen:
Yes it will! I love my tool for this exact reason. Perfect layers works because you actually mount/attach the cardstock to the other piece of cardstock prior to cutting. Essentially, you create the mat around the piece so you have a perfect measurement going all the way around the piece. And then if you choose to mat that piece the same holds true (because you have permanently attached the piece you're trying to layer before you cut the mat).

I love my perfect layers tool!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:23 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Default perfect layers?

If you want to try the concept of the perfect layers in a small, inexpensive way, try a small, six inch clear ruler by June Tailor that I found at WalMart. It was only $2.12 and I had seen a video on the CK website by Erin Licoln that showed how to use such a tool. Check it out, then buy the ruler. I have used it so much - it's a small handy tool that may help you decide whether or not you want the larger Perfect Layers tool. Even if you have the PL tool, you may want this small, handy tool - it's definitely worth it! ;)

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Another vote for perfect layers! I love mine, although I don't use it all the time because I get lazy. Having a sharp hobby blade and a cutting mat are a must though to use with perfect layers. In order to save paper I usually mount my first layer to the corner of the paper (and eyeball it), and then I use the perfect layer tool to cut the other two sides.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubsyRuth
Can someone explain how the Perfect Layers tool works please? I've seen it in the catty but it's a small pic and it looks like just a ruler to me! I'm curious as to how it works. TIA!
Yup, it is kinda like a ruler (but there are two of them). And they have little lips on them that you line up against the edge of your first layer so you can cut the layer underneath. Between the two rulers there are 8 widths (2 on each side).

HTH!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutta
If you want to try the concept of the perfect layers in a small, inexpensive way, try a small, six inch clear ruler by June Tailor that I found at WalMart. It was only $2.12 and I had seen a video on the CK website by Erin Licoln that showed how to use such a tool. Check it out, then buy the ruler. I have used it so much - it's a small handy tool that may help you decide whether or not you want the larger Perfect Layers tool. Even if you have the PL tool, you may want this small, handy tool - it's definitely worth it! ;)

Jutta
Which video is it? There are a lot on that website.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna741
Have you tried adhering your layers with Mono Multi glue? It takes a few seconds to dry, so there's a little time to wiggle the layer to get it perfectly aligned. I love Mono Multi for that reason, plus it sticks like crazy once it's dry.
This is what helped me with making my layers perfect too!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Default crooked layers

I think it is one of the cutting basics, but I can't be sure because I can't get the blinkin' things to play this morning. But what it shows is what a previous poster mentioned. You can stick the upper layer on the next, then use the clear ruler to measure and cut a perfect mat. I bought the dinky ruler because it's easier to store in my pen and tool basket and haven't found the need to buy the longer one yet.

i finally got the video to run. It is cutting basics #1. Go to CK, then click on Let's Scrapbook, then click on video. Then click on cutting basics on the right hand column. I wish I knew why I can't get these things to run smoothly. They stop and go and make me crazy!! Don't let that deter you though, the videos are great! I've watched every one and learned a lot in the process and I've been scrapping and stamping for years. Check out the cutting basics #2 also. Have fun! ;)

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B

I have difficulty as well, Joan, but not usually with narrow margins; I can trim those on my 12" Fiskars very well, but, it took me like 10 years to nail it :oops: When I started, there were no Perfect Layers . . .

I seem to have the most trouble when I'm mounting a smaller focal image and there's like a 1-2" margin all around.

I can NEVER get it on dead-center! Drives me !!!!!!!!

Anybody got a solution for that????

I know that in part, it may be due to the fact that I *desperately* need a new eyeglass prescription . . . they told me I needed bifocals . . . I've been stubborn . . . for the last 3 years . . . snort!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Here's a tip I haven't read yet about the placement of your layers. If I read it correctly, Joan's concern was not so much an issue of measuring and cutting exactly, but more an issue of placing the layers crooked.

What I do is use my CM cutting mat (any mat with a good grid pattern will do, or even the SU stamping pad) and lay my bottom piece exactly lined up with the lines on the grid. Then when I go to place the next layer on top, I use my knuckles to hover the piece over the first layer as I visually line up the edges with the grid markings (most of my layers are 1/4" difference, which align perfectly with the grid). Then I lower the piece down.

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Love my Perfect Layers. One of the best investments I have ever made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Sorry to say I do not know what CK means. I googled CK and got Calvin Klein underwear, for goodness sakes!
So....could ya help me out here? :o)
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Default perfect layers

Ooops! I should have spelled it out! It's the web site for the Creating Keepsakes magazine. It's www.creatingkeepsakes.com. It's worth a look at the videos and the tips and tricks section. ;) Of course, the Calvin Klein underwear site might have some interesting images too......

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

I LOVE my Mono Multi glue just for this purpose alone! I put 4 SMALL drops on each corner and then I have time to "wiggle it around" to make sure it's straight. 2 minutes later it's dried and I'm set.

Did I say that I LOVE my Mono Multi????

I have the Perfect Layers and don't like it. I can't seem to use it correctly. It always moves on me and I end up with a wiggle waggle line. I have ruined more cardstock trying to figure out the darn thing. It sits in my drawer (along with 20 other things I HAD to have but haven't used yet) begging me to use it. Maybe I'll get it's lonely self out and try it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I use a quilting ruler. I line up the grid squares so it is even, then but the edge of the layer up against the edge of the ruler, check the left and right alignment, and then lay the whole thing down. Works great for even spacing in grid layouts as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm with Joan...I can cut just fine, but come morning I look at last night's project and wonder what the heck I was thinking?! I coulda SWORN it was straight last night! This is my favorite thing about Perfect Layers. It eliminates that problem entirely. Julie has a problem with 1 or 2" layers, I had a hard time with 1/16" ones. Could NOT get it right to save my life.

Julie...have you tried just taking your glasses OFF, lol? Even after I got my "old lady" lenses, I still found myself taking them off to see things better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

The ONLY way I can get my layers straight is with the perfect layers tool!!
I must have crooked vision or something????? lol

SAHM and SU! Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #29  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyQue
I googled CK and got Calvin Klein underwear, for goodness sakes! :o)
And don't they have the most yumshious models
Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

These are all great ideas. I'm not sure whether I'm cutting impaired or adhering impaired!! I am going to slow down and see if that improves things and also try using the grid on my mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Jutta how long did it take to watch that video. OMG the waiting is horrible. I couldn't do it. Its a good idea to have these videos but it takes for ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Sheila. Use the mono multi glue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I think you jinxed me. I stamped today and had to redo a bunch of things because of crooked layers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Perfect Layers! I don't use it all the time because sometimes I'm too lazy to pull it out but I love the results when I use it. My layers are actually *perfect* However, that said, I do eyeball a lot and my layers are usually off when I do it. . .I know it bugs me way more than the recipient though.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a clear ruler fan - without it I am definitely a part of the crooked crowd
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutta
Ooops! I should have spelled it out! It's the web site for the Creating Keepsakes magazine. It's www.creatingkeepsakes.com. It's worth a look at the videos and the tips and tricks section. ;) Of course, the Calvin Klein underwear site might have some interesting images too......

Jutta
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Just watched the video at Creative Keepsakes. WooHoo!!! I think I can save the price of Perfect Layers tool and get one of those gridded rulers instead.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

I use my CM cutting mat and the original blade to cut my layers. But I will say on triple layer items the going is tough... I tend to use Bazzill and SU alot in combination for scrapbooking.

Really want to invest in a good cutting system for my cardmaking, but Perfect Layers are out. I had it and sold it to my sis. Could not (and still don't) use an exacto style knife very well. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

I find I'm pretty good at "eye-balling" my layers and getting them lined up evenly. I think that a good deal of that has to do with working on a big cutting mat with grid lines. If I'm ever feeling iffy about a layer, I can set it down on the mat and double-check the alignment against the grids.

Then again, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to even spacing; to the point that crooked layers and uneven spacing gives me a headache. When I took my first journalism class in high school my teacher drilled the concept of internal margins (a one-pica space between all page elements) into us. I've been seeing things with a kind of virtual matting on them in my head ever since. It makes things like this scrap squares card easy peasy.

If you don't "see" spacing, you can help yourself see it by marking it with a pencil or subtle marker. Using a ruler, practice marking just inside the 1/16, 1/8, or 1/4" margins on your scraps and mats. A little bracket in each corner or a dashed line would be enough to help you see them. Then just line up your top layer so that it just covers your marks. If you cut your layers/mats precisely, you should be able to line up just two corners and have everything else be even. It does slow you down to start with, at least until you get used to seeing and judging the spacing without making the marks or using your ruler.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

You know I am one of the fortunate ones that can cut and layer pretty straight. But my mother on the other hand has an awful time of it. I told her that it is ok to be off center. It just adds to the "unique-ness" of the card!
Reply With Quote Likes