Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CRICUT cartridge recommendation for cards?

All you Cricut users...is there one cartridge that you like to use for "elements" on your cards? I'm talking about just "general" shapes that you might even pre-cut and keep on hand because they are basic and you know that you use them alot.

My daughter bought me ACCENT ESSENTIALS Accent Essentials RARE Cricut Cartridge Brand New *NOT SOLD IN STORES* | eBay for Christmas [she did NOT pay that much, by the way] and I need to haul my machine out to the kitchen table and cut some things to have on hand.

I was wondering if there are any others that might have the same type of shapes that you would find in the Nestabilities inventory. The ONLY problem I have with Cricut is that I have to use so much scrap paper to see what size my image is really going to be once it is cut. When I dial in 4" I think the shape will be 4" long and it "ain't necessarily so." LOL.

Thank you so much for your input on this!
Beverly
RavioliGirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

NO recommendations? Maybe no one uses their Cricut to make cards on this site. Huh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE the Art Philosophy cart from Close to my Heart... It has 700 images, boxes, bags, tags, 3-D flowers, envelopes, and more! And it has a lot of shapes that coordinate with their stamps. People who have dozens of carts, then got the AP Cart from CTMH, tell me it's the only one they use.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I love "George" - the one that came with my Cricut for basic shapes.

Also check out "Storybook" - wonderful images, many reminiscent of Spellbinders.

And "A Child's Year" - if you like silhouette images, this one can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Lacy Labels and Sentimental (?) and I tend to use those the most. I use my machine for shapes but not cards because it cuts the score lines. There are little cuts that it makes and they stand out and bug the heck out of me. Tip on size: the shapes print sideways and measure from the longest point. If you use the real dial size and hold the book like a book and not the way it's pictured, that helps a little
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Beverly,

I have 2 favorite all around go to cartridges

1) Plantin Schoolbook (it has letters, numbers, and basic shapes - I like it better than George & basic shapes)

2) Wildcard - I don't make the cards the way they say - I usually just want a component of it to make my card a "shape"

As far as the cutting issue goes - are you using the feature that makes it "true to size"? I saw a you tube on how to help with this. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I can't find the you tube video but it is what Craftymel2 is talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have many cartridges and seldom use them for cards but the one I specifically bought for card making is Ornamental Iron. I have only used it once but think it has great potential. This is the card if you want to take a look.

Gatefold Manor Birthday by Dockside - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

My current favourite is the Elegant Edges cartridge, most of the cuts are similar to the nestabilities. Here is a link to the handbook or there are lots of cards on Youtube using it. Good luck in your search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

There is a Cricut FAQ thread here in the Tool and Product Forum which might help you. I've always struggled with mine and I've found a lot of good information there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocksideView Post
I don't have many cartridges and seldom use them for cards but the one I specifically bought for card making is Ornamental Iron. I have only used it once but think it has great potential. This is the card if you want to take a look.

Gatefold Manor Birthday by Dockside - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Ann,

Simply gorgeous -- thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Wow! Once you gals started answering my question, you really came through!!! Why am I so surprised?! This is just the BEST place to find information.

I'll be checking out all these suggestions. I guess my problem is that if you're going to use your Cricut, you really have to plan out your card and then cut all the different pieces. I have to haul mine into the kitchen and then I end up having it out for days, just sitting there.

Anne, I have heard of that "Art Philosophy" cart from Close To My Heart. I'll have to look online at that.

Linda, I do have "Storybook" and, of course, "George." I've been lusting after "A Child's Year" for a long, long time. I LOVE those silhouette images!

Mel, thanks for the hint about sizing. I'm going to have to read that several times, [it takes me awhile to learn new "stuff"]. LOL. BUT, wasn't sure what you meant about it "cuts the score lines."

Patti, thanks for reminding me that I just need to get my "Wildcard" cart out and look at it!

Ann, your card is amazing. LOVE it.

Dixie, that Elegant Edges is truly a "Nestabilities" type cartridge. You are right.

Kay, thanks so much for the link to the Cricut thread. I know those threads have so much info, but they grow into such HUGE numbers of posts that I just don't have time to go looking for what I am in need of. I know we can "search" but I haven't been successful with that feature.

You are all terrific and I appreciate each and every one of you taking the time to educate me. Have a good weekend!
Beverly
RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Beverly,

You did a good job of reminding me of "planning" a card. Unfortunately, I never do. I just start playing with stamps, inks, etc., and it all kind of "morphs" into something. But I can't tell you how sometimes "painful" it is because I don't know what to do to "complete" the card. Sometimes I take the fun out of it because I agonize over it, or I just never seem to complete the card. I have all this stuff and I've had to go to the dollar store on more than one occassion to buy a card at that last minute (how pitiful...lol) It would serve me well if I would just plan the layout. That should be my New Years Resolution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
wasn't sure what you meant about it "cuts the score lines."
It puts a cut in the paper where you are supposed to score it. So then, when you fold it, the cut is there and to me, looks bad. If you have your computer hooked up to your machine, I have heard that you can "erase" the score parts with that Craft Room program, then it won't cut. Also, if you have a Gypsy you can do the same thing. I don't have either option available so I just cut cards and boxes by hand and use the machine for shapes and things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Size of image

I could never figure out what size an image would cut even using the 'Real Dial Size' feature. I am also Design Studio challenged but I have a Gypsy and now I KNOW what size image I am going to cut. I know that this is another $$$ investment but it has saved wasting paper for me.

My favorite cartridges: Paper Doll Dress Up, Everyday Paper Dolls for their 'extra' images (barbecue cooker, etc,), George for shapes, Plantin for a basic font, Life's a Beach has some unusual 'extra' images (a skull I use for Halloween cards) and Tags, Bags, Boxes and More. Just got the Art Philosphy from Close To My Heart and it looks to have a vast combination of images (from lace, snowflakes, Christmas stocking, 3D flowers, tags, card shapes and boxes (fries box, pillow box,etc)

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 01-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Here are the ones I use on my cards all the time:
- Lacy Labels
- Elegant Edges - use most
- Paper Lace

And my mom gave me Fancy Frames for Christmas. I haven't used that cartridge yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Ok, this thread is a bit dated, but just now came back and wrote down everyone's answers to my question. Now...one more question:

Once you get your Cricut out and you're planning on making cards, do you cut "shapes" in various colors/patterns/sizes for use on possible "future cards?" Or, do you cut the shapes as you need them? I'm referring to anything that would remotely resemble a Nestabilities type shape?

Thanks again for all your replies. I have a nice list of cartridges to look up and compare.
Beverly
RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

My two favorite cartridges are Elegant Edges and Art Philosophy....they are excellent for "elements".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I only cut what I need because I change my mind about how I want a finished card to look. Sometimes what I thought would 'work', doesn't fit anymore. Cutting images for future projects is a waste of paper for me. I know each person works differently but this is just me. Using my Cricut comes in cycles, sometimes I use it alot when I am making cards then I will stamp and color my cards.....

'Art Philosophy' is a Close To My Heart cartridge so you will have to get it from a CTMH demo. It does seem to have a large variety of images as I previously mentioned so might be a good investment. Check a Cricut cartridge image search site like mycutsearch.com is one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I only cut what I need because I change my mind about how I want a finished card to look. Sometimes what I thought would 'work', doesn't fit anymore. Cutting images for future projects is a waste of paper for me. I know each person works differently but this is just me. Using my Cricut comes in cycles, sometimes I use it alot when I am making cards then I will stamp and color my cards.....

'Art Philosophy' is a Close To My Heart cartridge so you will have to get it from a CTMH demo. It does seem to have a large variety of images as I previously mentioned so might be a good investment. Check a Cricut cartridge image search site like mycutsearch.com is one.

Wow! Never even knew sites like that existed. Thanks so much for this link. I have it in my favorites for future use. I really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

When I first get a new cartridge I cut out a few shapes, just to figure out the layering, etc. I keep those close by for adding to future cards, but for the most part I just cut what I need as I need it. If there are standard colours you tend to use, you could cut out some shapes in advance, but I would make sure to write the size you cut it at on the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixieRaeView Post
When I first get a new cartridge I cut out a few shapes, just to figure out the layering, etc. I keep those close by for adding to future cards, but for the most part I just cut what I need as I need it. If there are standard colours you tend to use, you could cut out some shapes in advance, but I would make sure to write the size you cut it at on the back.
Oh, excellent suggestion about writing the size on the back. You girls are so ahead of me in the thought process of crafting. I just go head first into it and end up wasting time and product. You are teaching me good crafting skills! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes