Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OMG Joan, I had never been to your blog. What a hoot!! Love your "Anatomy of a Purchase" posts. Really brought several smiles to my face :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks. I used to think I was the "only" one with a problem on craft stuff. We are all in this together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that I posted on this thread about using what I have, then I placed a $60 SU! order today AND spent another $20 in the BST today. *headshake* I probably should not have also planned a trip to Jo-Ann after work, either...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #45  
First To Quack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my real problem is not buying more but not weeding thru the crap I already have. Y'all have challenged me to not be afraid to toss the cards I don't like, the images colored but not used because I don't like them, etc. I find I am spending more time trying to use up stuff then actually using my things o make something special. Tastes have changed a lot in the 10 years or more I have been stamping. Time to let go!!!

Cards from the Cabana
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Well if we are going to confession mode, I did just place a large order for embossing folders from Consumer crafts. At 2.97 ea including 5 x 7 size they are the best deal I have found and my collection was weak. Wont be now. I prefer that size as it is more flexible for different card sizes. Not that I wont do A2, but I prefer A7s, esp for background patterns.

Dont think I was not thinking about this thread! I therefore did not look at other stuff.

Next I need to look at my ink pads. Also anemic.

Joan your site IS great! I book marked it. First blog ever for me. Look forward to more!( I know you are taking a break.) And I totally get the "straggler" issues after a parent passes. It's like picking at a scab.

I have decided after reading this thread...IF I am going to buy it wont be just b/c it's cute and on sale. I do actually need some stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

and I had no black cardstock. and I need it! so I went to Michael's and got a pack of recollections 65lb because it is just for die cutting or layering and therefore only $4. And, I did not buy anything else.

A win.

Moratoriums, freezes, slow downs, splurges -- the older I get the more I acknowledge a time for everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my defense, $7.99 for the 12x12 DCWV pads is an AMAZING deal. I only bought two pads for myself and one as a gift for my mom as she's still a beginner scrapper and doesn't have any solid cardstock for bases!

I might have also bought some twine.

And enamel dots.

THEY WERE 50% OFF! ^_^
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

I knew this would be a long thread...lol

I go through this and I think everyone does. I just started my vacation today. I have 5 days to spend with my grandson before he flies back to Ohio. The last 5 days, I will be organizing my studio. It's a tiny room and I need to figure out my storage yet again.

I know once I get re-organized I will be fine (until I out grow my room...lol) as I'm pretty regimented about putting things back where they belong. I just took up some other projects, mainly making supplies and embellishments and that seems to have made things a bit more cramped.

I'm in agreement that I need to work with the supplies I have until I de-stash by utilization. Our problems are really that we love sales, clearance and a darn good deal with a coupon on a new item...lol

I actually stayed away from the stores for a bit. Today was the first time I went in over a month. I dropped my epic die cutter and broke the top off. It still works, but I decided I needed to have a back up. There just happened to be a Spellbinders grand caliber at my Hobby Lobby for $50 clearance, at least there was 6 weeks ago....lol. I couldn't believe it was still there so I grabbed it. It's deals like that, that gets me overstocked!!!

We all have to do the reorganization dance periodically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm another of Joan's blog followers, and LOVE her writing style! The post above is spot-on (as is everything else she writes)...

Another blogger that I've followed for a while (Danielle LaPorte) did a guest post on "The Divine Law of the Ugly Chair" (the blog she did the guest stint on no longer exists). Basically the gist of it was that the right chair wouldn't/couldn't show up while the ugly one was in its place. "You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you", she said. That's been something of a mantra for me since...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

that reminds me of this -

“If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
― William Morris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Lets face it, we all buy too much when it comes to crafts! But, this is our hobby and it makes us happy! When I look at some of the hobbies other people have, such as camping, boating, hunting, look at what they are spending! I don't see any of them wringing their hands and feeling guilty about their purchase! They are far too busy enjoying it! Even though I have a lot of stash, I don't think I spent anywhere as much as what a camper or boat would have cost me, and my hobby is not seasonal! And my hobby is useful! It allow me to use my God-given talent, and I can put a smile on somebody's face every time I send them a hand made card! SHOP ON fellow stampers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I have never regretted anything I got rid of. A few years ago I intended to sell my house and downsize. I spent six months selling, donating, and trashing years of stuff that had accumlulated in every room of the house. I was an avid sewer at that time and gave away 4 large plastic containers of fabric (I kept 3 and am getting ready to donate that too).

You know what? I fell back in love with my house. It felt clean! I actually had empty cabinets in my kitchen! There was room for all my clothes and shoes. It was liberating to not have to maintain a bunch of stuff I was probably not going to use and could be replaced if absolutely necessary.
^^^^This,This!^^^^ I regularly purge every area of my house and craft room and it is very liberating! Get the old stuff out and you won't feel bad about the new!
Most of the time I can't even remember what I've gotten rid of! I pass it on to friends that may want it. Hubby has a co worker whose wife and daughter like to scrap. I sent it to them and donate the rest. The only thing I'm not good at purging is stamps. I can't seem to let go of them for some reason.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
Lets face it, we all buy too much when it comes to crafts! But, this is our hobby and it makes us happy! When I look at some of the hobbies other people have, such as camping, boating, hunting, look at what they are spending! I don't see any of them wringing their hands and feeling guilty about their purchase! They are far too busy enjoying it! Even though I have a lot of stash, I don't think I spent anywhere as much as what a camper or boat would have cost me, and my hobby is not seasonal! And my hobby is useful! It allow me to use my God-given talent, and I can put a smile on somebody's face every time I send them a hand made card! SHOP ON fellow stampers!
Yes! I totally agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #55  
Proud Fan Club Member

Well said gram2boyz.

It is true that other hobbies are FAR more expensive (though I cant imagine calling a boat a hobby! Fishing in a rowboat yes but those big ones!) When I think what a single golf club can cost...or power tools...or what that rider mower vs the push one....we dont have that but I have seen them around. (I like tools so I look) Or the trophy car...even a modest one could be more than I will ever spend on crafts.

Perhaps we feel guilty about it because we keep the household purse strings and are thinking what the house needs, the kids want, etc etc and we put ourselves last on that list. Not to go all psycho babble, but you know....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #56  
Cardstock Collector

Well, I know that most of us can relate to this dilemma. I sure can. Here is a fun idea that my wonderful paper crafting Sista and I have done to make use of what we have and create some fun things in the process.
Choose some paper, an item from your "I'll use this for something, someday" box, or an embellishment that's been sitting around forever, and have a challenge with each other! We call it our "ugly paper challenge" (although it doesn't have to be paper). We have had a blast doing this and the results are so fun and surprising and we love it that we've used something that's been in our stash for too long.
Good luck and have fun with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

I have a stamping buddy across the street, and many times for Christmas gifts we will give each other a package of goodies from our stash! We include pre-stamped/digi images, brads, flowers, paper, whatever we think the other would like! It's fun to put together, fun to recieve, and we don't have to run to the crazy stores and spend more money! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm another of Joan's blog followers, and LOVE her writing style! The post above is spot-on (as is everything else she writes)...

Another blogger that I've followed for a while (Danielle LaPorte) did a guest post on "The Divine Law of the Ugly Chair" (the blog she did the guest stint on no longer exists). Basically the gist of it was that the right chair wouldn't/couldn't show up while the ugly one was in its place. "You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you", she said. That's been something of a mantra for me since...
I read about feng shui a while ago. In short, if you're single and looking, clean out your closet and drawers so there's enough room for his stuff. (How come that's all I can remember?)

-Single and NOT looking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I knew someone that knows how to re-organize. I hired someone in 2007 when I got new carpet in my craft room, and it was pretty expensive. she taught me the saying "shop at home" which really helped me stop going to Michaels and JoAnns so much. I really have a problem with paper/cardstock. and I don't like to put all the pieces away, so I guess it's time to bite the bullet and just toss all the pieces - large or small.
Hubby has dementia and hates a mess, so I can't pull large quantities of things out of the room and place them elsewhere until I have a few hours to re-organize... or maybe that's just an excuse.
I wish I could find someone to take a box of asssorted odd stuff, I tried Freecycle, but no takers. Tried selling some stamps on ebay without much luck, it's just not worth selling a set of stamps for $1.99 and taking the time to have to ship it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ginny...
Scraps I keep very simple. I have a plastic box that is like 13 x 6 or 7and 3 deep and they get dumped in there regardless of size or whatever. It comes out every time I work b/c I can often do a sentiment or piece with them. That way they dont become a massive pile.

Have friends over. They dont know your stuff so it's all new and interesting to them and can be very uplifting and motivational for you.

Give stuff to the local school to the art teacher. They can never have enough...or the grammer school. Or look at hospitals..they often have a craft space, esp if they treat children. Or do a craft garage sale and craiglist it if you have enough...if not a regular garage sale but make sure to say you have craft stuff.

In the end...you can donate it. Goodwill, etc. Goodwill actually sells a lot of stamping stuff online in lots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
I wish I knew someone that knows how to re-organize. I hired someone in 2007 when I got new carpet in my craft room, and it was pretty expensive. she taught me the saying "shop at home" which really helped me stop going to Michaels and JoAnns so much. I really have a problem with paper/cardstock. and I don't like to put all the pieces away, so I guess it's time to bite the bullet and just toss all the pieces - large or small.
Hubby has dementia and hates a mess, so I can't pull large quantities of things out of the room and place them elsewhere until I have a few hours to re-organize... or maybe that's just an excuse.
I wish I could find someone to take a box of asssorted odd stuff, I tried Freecycle, but no takers. Tried selling some stamps on ebay without much luck, it's just not worth selling a set of stamps for $1.99 and taking the time to have to ship it.
One way to tackle a large project is one small section at a time and don't reorg just yet. Go through one drawer and take out everything you don't want and put it in your give away box and toss anything that can't be used.

Once you have the things you no longer want then begin the reorg. The start moving like items together. You can empty a drawer or have a few small boxes or baskets. Every time you find ribbon, drop it in the box; brads, buttons, other like embellishments, drop them in the box. You won't create a huge mess and you can still find things you need.

A few times a year I give my old craft items to my DIL's school and I bet you probably have a low income school in your area that would like to have art supplies. When your give away box is full drop it off at a school or church.

It can be too overwhelming to think of the entire project, but 1 or 2 drawers is not so hard.

About paper scraps, stop keeping the little pieces because if you're honest, you probably don't use them. I don't keep pieces under 3" square.

Finally, don't feel guilty if you throw something away, including stamps. There is a good chance that if they are old no one wants them. I've tossed stamps that are strange images, too small to bother with packing them up, etc. The money is already gone so toss them and don't think about it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with everything Stamphappy said. After you have a box of goodies, contact the art teacher (if there is one) at your elementary school, or a primary grade teacher. I gave lots of paper to a second grade teacher, and she and the students were ecstatic! I hung around long enough to watch them create wonderful collages during a "free art" period. It made me so happy to see them so happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

Default donating

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Ginny...
Scraps I keep very simple. I have a plastic box that is like 13 x 6 or 7and 3 deep and they get dumped in there regardless of size or whatever. It comes out every time I work b/c I can often do a sentiment or piece with them. That way they dont become a massive pile.

Have friends over. They dont know your stuff so it's all new and interesting to them and can be very uplifting and motivational for you.

Give stuff to the local school to the art teacher. They can never have enough...or the grammer school. Or look at hospitals..they often have a craft space, esp if they treat children. Or do a craft garage sale and craiglist it if you have enough...if not a regular garage sale but make sure to say you have craft stuff.

In the end...you can donate it. Goodwill, etc. Goodwill actually sells a lot of stamping stuff online in lots.
Thanks for the input.... elementary school is a good idea. I can't do any kind of garage or yard sale because I live in a condo. great ideas. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #64  
Glitter Queen

Default Too many stamps

Quote:

I've been on a craft supply buying spree lately and ended up spending my whole day yesterday re-organizing and finding space for all the new stuff. As I would much rather be creating than cleaning, it put me in a real funk.:( I'm determined to just use what I have for a while. (Might even be able to put a few $$ in savings!)

Has anyone else gone through this? Why is it so much fun to buy stuff?
Yes, yes, and yes. I have many stamps that I have never used and still buy more. I don't even go to conventions any more because I will buy more without using the ones I have. So you are not alone but I am getting better, I think.

Good luck and what I have started doing is get out one of the stamps I've never used and create with it no matter what.

christina norton
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 AM   #65  
Proud Fan Club Member

I do a constant trading with my best stamping pal. Anything I dont want goes in a bag for her and likewise. If the other does not want it either we throw the net wider to other firends or mine go in a basket for a 2x/year garage sale. If they dont sell...off to charity.

It could be fun to have friends over and everyone brings what they are ready to let go of...dont call it something negative like "losers" or "rejects"...unless you all have the same sense of humor. Maybe "last call". It all goes in the middle of the table and people pick over it and take what they like.

If you can do it where everyone closes their eyes and just puts it down so no one knows what is whose...that can be fun too. Depends on your relationship with people.

I've been thinking...wouldnt it be cool if there could be a day of classes and craft sales? If the LSS had some classes in a school gym at one end or something and people could have tables to sell off what they dont want at the other? Then whatever they dont sell...can stay at the school. I'd make people walk past the sales tables though to get to the classes. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

I love the idea of a "last call." My craft group is meeting on Saturday and I'll suggest it to the host.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Default Organizing, buying more stuff

Quote:

I've been on a craft supply buying spree lately and ended up spending my whole day yesterday re-organizing and finding space for all the new stuff. As I would much rather be creating than cleaning, it put me in a real funk.:( I'm determined to just use what I have for a while. (Might even be able to put a few $$ in savings!)

Has anyone else gone through this? Why is it so much fun to buy stuff?
As the organizer told me when I paid her a LOT of money a few years ago "Shop from Home!"
That sentence has helped me a lot. Ginny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

We are going through a purge here at our house. I'm a bit under the weather the last several days, but I have managed to stand in front of my closet and fold up beautiful outfits that I no longer wear. I have mentioned on other threads, I have cancer and I've lost a lot of weight. I have purged more than 2/3 of my closet and shoes. I've kept ONLY what I can wear and ONLY what I'm SURE I will wear. I have a closet in my studio stuffed full of SHOES. OMGosh, I've pulled them out over the weekend. ARC is coming tomorrow. I managed over the weekend to donate 2 huge boxes of shoes, boots, misc belts, scarves and 2 huge industrial bags full of neatly folded clothes. That really felt great. I know that someone will purchase them and use them. They are lovely business attire and casual clothes. I tend to hang on to things. I would rather hang on to my craft supplies then clothes and shoes I can no longer wear.

Although, I have loads of craft equipment and supplies, I have no where near as most. I complain only because of the space I have. Purging the stuff that didn't belong in my studio is giving me more space for organization and storage. I'm actually prepping my studio to share with my sister (We live together, it's easier with my illness). She only wants a desk and a chair. We have that.

My son in law is going to hang some shelves up for me and mount the TV that is in that room. I actually will be ok as soon as those shelves go up. I have NONE at the moment. It will work out great because I have two work tops in my studio (actually 3 if you count the foot locker that I use as a coffee table in front of my chaise lounge and i can easily give her one of the work surfaces now.

I think I will just slowly keep purging here and there. Too many times we feel a need to hang onto things because we feel we will need it as soon as we get rid of it. I have that I've done that at times and bought more supplies. I'm making a promise to shop my stash the rest of this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry everyone, I pretty much said the same thing 2x in this thread...lol See I'm hoarding posts too!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes