Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default craft store teachers

I was wondering if anyone teaches at a Michael's of AC Moore. If so, do they have a curriculum set up, or do you decide what you would like to do? What percentage of the class fee do you get to keep? And do they provide the supplies you would need? I taught a few years ago at a JoAnn's, they had a set curriculum, I got to keep 75%, but the classes kept getting canceled because not enough people signed up. Thanks!
Sandy
www.stampsandy.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I stopped working at Ms for that reason...they kept cancelling my classes and they wouldn't advertise so no one signed up.

I made up my own classes, projects, and curriculum and I got to keep 90% of the class fee. I did get an hourly...but not if I held a class then I got my 90%. It pretty much sucked....

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Ditto for me at Michaels...although I can go ahead and have the class for one, they don't make me cancel. I find it hard to find sign ups there because they barely have room to display samples. My samples keep disappearing... hm... They barely have anything to "work" with so I have to bring in all my own stamps/supplies, it's hard to give a class there.

Taught at AC Moore in NC. That was better. I determined the class fee and was paid that. They provided most of the supplies, had a super classroom and also had a nicer area for displays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

My Michaels has been advertising desperately for a scrapbooking/rubber stamping/cardmaking teacher. Apparently....there's a huge interest cause there isn't really ANYWHERE around here for those kinds of classes. Anyway....I buy alot of stuff at Michaels and the lady there asked if I would bring some of my stuff in on Monday to show her. Yeah...I'm going to do it...not for money or anything, but because it's something I think I would enjoy (if I have students) ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had trouble at Michael's for alot of the reasons listed above, my classes hardly ever had sign ups, but I did get a good stamp club going of regulars and I volunteered to do alot of demos, most Michael's should offer demonstrations for new products, or request from specific companies, I would get an hourly rate for these. If you do decide to teach there I would try to make up your own displays, a board or something and make flyer's, make sure they have copies of their class schedule out for people to take home, you kind of have to push your own "advertising" to make it work there.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I taught at a LSS and got all the stamps I wanted at cost. That was a good deal for me. That business closed due to high fuel costs.
Recently I walked into a brand new LSS and offered my services. First class 2 people. Tomorrow I have 7. I think we need to discuss $$ again once it gets going. For right now she's giving me store credit.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've actually never heard of anyone having a "positive" experience teaching at some of the big name craft chains . . .

(When I say positive, I actually mean profitable, in terms of income for all the supplies/materials + prep and actual class time invested)

I think one problem is that they don't market and advertise their classes in any way comporable to the way that your LSS does/can/will. LSS's (as a general rule) strive very hard to personally invite every customer that walks through the door--they put fliers into every shopping bag, have fliers posted throughout the store in different spots, announce them on their website and through their e-newsletters to their customers, and even on postcards sent out in the mail to customers! They go to *much* greater effort!

Quite naturally, this is gonna be far more effective in increasing the number of participants that will then sign up, UKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 04:53 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah, if you want to talk about a locally owned stores I worked at one for 3 years with TONS of success, my classes were always full. Like Julie said I think alot of people don't realise the "chain" stores teach classes or maybe they all just go to the privately owned stores? Archiver's is the only store I've heard of where they have a really good turn out at their classes as far as the chain stores go.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #9  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Wow.. this is a little scary to read! I just signed to do classes for JoAnn's!

I have heard what others are saying, but I'm still going to give it a go.. for a learning experience if nothing else. I'm actually going to be a part-time employee.. so there might be a wee advantage in that (I get to promote the classes to customers on a regular basis). I have no set cirriculum.. it's completely up to me.. my only restriction is space. Their classroom only seats 10 (I'm being optimistic, aren't I!?).

The good thing is, I'm just doing this for fun. Any rewards reeped are gravy and will probably go to feed my insatiable appetite for rubbah!

I will be looking forward to keeping up with this thread.. I would hope at the very least, I will learn something.. who knows.. maybe there will be a 'success' story here and there

Peace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:06 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

And we will be interested to hear how your experience goes. You are such a talanated stamper--those lucky ladies to get in on a class by you. When do you start your classes? Have you already started working part time? Didn't mean to *hijack*, but keep us all posted on how it goes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy

I have heard what others are saying, but I'm still going to give it a go.. for a learning experience if nothing else. I'm actually going to be a part-time employee.. so there might be a wee advantage in that (I get to promote the classes to customers on a regular basis). I have no set cirriculum.. it's completely up to me.. my only restriction is space. Their classroom only seats 10 (I'm being optimistic, aren't I!?).

The good thing is, I'm just doing this for fun. Any rewards reeped are gravy and will probably go to feed my insatiable appetite for rubbah!

I will be looking forward to keeping up with this thread.. I would hope at the very least, I will learn something.. who knows.. maybe there will be a 'success' story here and there

Peace!

Rom 12:2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:21 AM   #11  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meema
And we will be interested to hear how your experience goes. You are such a talanated stamper--those lucky ladies to get in on a class by you. When do you start your classes? Have you already started working part time? Didn't mean to *hijack*, but keep us all posted on how it goes.
Aww ty, Meema! I don't want to hijack either.. so i will just quickly state.. first class October 14th with a 'preview' on September 23/24th to promote the class. I'll keep ya'll posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Yikes I just started teaching jewelry at Michaels. I was told that I get my hourly plus commission. I guess I will have to wait for my 1st paycheck to see for sure. Something tells me I was misinformed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 07:26 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

the worst part about teaching at Ms was that they didn't have current product, and the scrapbooking/stamping section was so small. I hated having to use only product that you could buy in the store for the classes...it was really limiting.

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #14  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

gonna bump this...

anyone else have any 'stories'?

My first JoAnn's class is coming up on the 14th of October. I'm really excited. I have 6 signed up so far.

I hope to have something GOOD to report when it's over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Toy- I took a couple of classes in other things at Joann's...from what I've heard they usually have packed classes and my classes were packed full when I went!!! And hey, congrats on your class! I bet it will be a blast!

lisa1022s- You know....I was told the same thing you were. My hourly plus a percentage of the class fee for teaching at Michael's so I don't think you were misinformed. ;) My event coordinator at Michaels has given me a schedule of events that are coming up at the store and has asked if I can demo things like Cricut, Sizzix, crop a dile, etc....so there is a couple more hours a week if I want them. That's what I like so far about being an instructor...I can work if I want, and I don't have to if I don't want to. ;)

I was also told by the event coordinator that if I wanted to bring in something from outside the store (like lunch tins or something) that it would be fine and she would work it into the class fee, or we would just tell folks where to get the stuff to bring in for the project. I don't know if every EC would do that, but mine seems to be pretty darn flexible!

Hope that helps someone!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Toy- I took a couple of classes in other things at Joann's...from what I've heard they usually have packed classes and my classes were packed full when I went!!! And hey, congrats on your class! I bet it will be a blast!

lisa1022s- You know....I was told the same thing you were. My hourly plus a percentage of the class fee for teaching at Michael's so I don't think you were misinformed. ;) My event coordinator at Michaels has given me a schedule of events that are coming up at the store and has asked if I can demo things like Cricut, Sizzix, crop a dile, etc....so there is a couple more hours a week if I want them. That's what I like so far about being an instructor...I can work if I want, and I don't have to if I don't want to. ;)

I was also told by the event coordinator that if I wanted to bring in something from outside the store (like lunch tins or something) that it would be fine and she would work it into the class fee, or we would just tell folks where to get the stuff to bring in for the project. I don't know if every EC would do that, but mine seems to be pretty darn flexible!

Hope that helps someone!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I have my 3rd class tonight and I have 7 students. Who Ho. The percentage isn't 90 % though . I got my first paycheck. Unless it goes up the more student you have. The class I was paid for I only had 1 student. Thanks for the info it is helpfull. I can teach A stamping tech. class if I want but was concerned about doing things like tiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

well I had 6 students come. 1 signed up last minute so there were 2 that didn't show. If you do the demos you can get more to sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #19  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I hear you Lisa. I did the demo day at JoAnn's. It was fun and I got alot of interest. My class is still at 6 people. I'm hoping for 10. Still 2 weeks away.

I'll keep ya'll posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm thinking about doing classes at Joann's too! I'd love to hear how it turns out for you!

Click HERE to go to my Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've taught in 3 LSSs, with both good and bad experiences. The most important advice that I can give you is to get everything in writing. I can't stress this enough. When everything is clearly agreed upon and signed, then there is a meeting of the minds. After I had a horrible experience, which I won't get into now, I wrote up a contract and use one any time I teach or sell things on consignment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #22  
Vintage Vixen

Wow--this is an old thread! Some of the early answers may not be too helpful now (3 years later--LOL!).

Anyway, I don't think our Joann's offers any classes in stamping or scrapping. It's a very small store without a lot of product. And unless they pull some chairs up to the fabric cutting table, I don't even see a large enough spot to offer a class!

Our local Michaels isn't teaching many classes anymore either, except for Wilton cake decorating and a few classes geared toward kids.

I teach at a locally-owned store and I receive 70% of the class fee as payment. I do not have to supply the materials for the class--I pull everything from the store or the owner orders it for me. After all, the main purpose of offering a class is to entice people to buy things at the store. Therefore as much as possible I want to use products that are in stock or available at the store. People get frustrated if they see a sample in the store or make something in class, and then aren't able to buy the same things to use at home.

The cost of materials (including whatever I use to create my class/store sample) gets divided among those who attend the class as a "materials fee" which is on top of the class fee. Initially I used some of my own stamps because it was a new store and they did not yet have a large inventory of stamps that fit my style. I don't mind doing that occasionally when necessary but I try to make sure that the stamp is still available so that we can get it for the store.

In addition to receiving a portion of each class fee, I also receive a 20% discount on anything I buy for myself at the store.

Another benefit: I get to make suggestions of products and papers to carry in the store. To me this is one of the best "perks" of teaching! This ensures that I have a local source for the types of paper, inks, and embellishments that I like (at 20% off!). :p All of the teachers get to look through the catalogs and tell the owner what we'd like to see carried. Since the teachers all have different tastes and styles (and different "specialties"), it ensures that the store will have products that appeal to a wide variety of people.

We've never had to cancel any of my classes and in fact, we had to discuss setting an enrollment limit on certain ones! I have 11 people signed up for my class tomorrow night (a Prismacolor pencil class). Our Cricut class is offered on 2 different nights and is usually full both nights with 16 people each. We've had to start wait lists on certain classes (like my Prisma pencil class and another teacher's card club) or have discussed offering the classes a second time so that everyone who wants to attend can attend.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my very positive teaching experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW! It seems as though people have had varied experiences. As a teacher for my "day job" I always thought it would be fun to teach something crafty at night. Our local Joann's is looking for teachers but I think I might wait to apply. I would love to hear other's thoughts on the subject!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #24  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post

Peace!
I would TOTALLY take your class! I am a BIG fan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know this started as an old thread but I have a related question.

How do you get into teaching the class? We have a good sized Michaels with a great "classroom" but they never do scrapping / stamping classes. Seeing as how they recently upgraded their entire stamping section, it would really benefit them to have a stamp / scrap class.

How have you gone about approaching the store for this?

Thanks for any input! Money is very tight around here (DH has been laid off this month) and I'm trying every angle to not have to go back to work. If I could do a little teaching and earn a few bucks while being able to stamp and maybe get some discounted supplies, it would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Unless things have changed, Michaels has stopped offering anything other than Wilton and kids classes unfortunately. If you have a local LSS you might check to see what classes they offer and whether they bring in "outside" teachers.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I never taught at a big name chain store, but did teach at Local stores. Here the teachers (at the LOCAL stores, not the chain stores) get 100% of the class tuition. The benefit to the store is that you bring in the people to take your class and you are expected to use materials you can find at the store for the class. That's the limiting part. But I have also had stores give me product in exchange for creating a class and teaching it (and I also got the $ the students paid).

Students are expected to pay in cash before hand or on the day of the class. That's between the student and the teacher.

I have never done classes for any chain stores. The JoAnns here is beautifully maintained and has a HUGE class room area. I think those classes probably do well as I see classes advertised all over the store.

Holley

A new project everyday!
http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

I taught knitting and scrapbooking and stamping classes for Michael's before they discontinued their classes. BTW, I understand from two store managers that classes are "in the works" for Michael's again. (So stay on the lookout if you are interested in teaching there.) I received an hourly amount (somewhat negotiable) and 90% of the tuition fees. Some classes are corporate classes and they have some curricula attached to them. Other classes were my own...I made them up and taught them. Michael's gave me the supplies I chose for the classes. They kept the things I made. If I wanted to create a class, I had to purchase the materials for it. I absolutely agree that Mike' did NOT really do much advertising for the classes. When I asked about this, I was told I could buy my own ad in the local newspaper! Mike's also provided a 25% discount on their products all the time, and in the Fall, 50% off the store for one week!!

Now I'm at JoAnn's. I get a 15% discount and I have to buy all my yarn myself to make samples. For the class I just get 70% of the tuition. No hourly. I feel that J's does more advertizing of my classes than did Mike's. The classes are to a set syllabus and I believe the courses are well-put-together by Corp. I know I'm really getting ripped off by J's, but I just love to see people learn new things, so I'm doing it. The money isn't so important for me as I am retired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #29  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
I know this started as an old thread but I have a related question.

How do you get into teaching the class? We have a good sized Michaels with a great "classroom" but they never do scrapping / stamping classes. Seeing as how they recently upgraded their entire stamping section, it would really benefit them to have a stamp / scrap class.

How have you gone about approaching the store for this?

Thanks for any input! Money is very tight around here (DH has been laid off this month) and I'm trying every angle to not have to go back to work. If I could do a little teaching and earn a few bucks while being able to stamp and maybe get some discounted supplies, it would be wonderful!
In my case, they approached me after hearing good things about me from a friend of mine and after seeing some samples of my work. Since they had already seen some samples, they asked me what types of courses I'd like to teach. They were already teaching some classes, but the things I do and my style are very different which was appealing to them.

If you have to approach them (like a "cold call" for a salesperson), first do some homework. Read their website, newsletter, or blog. What types of classes are they currently offering (if any)? Do they carry products from companies that fit your style (stamps, papers, embellishments, inks, etc)? Do they have up-do-date products and store samples using a lot of different or interesting techniques? Do they sound willing and eager to carry new products that are being requested by customers or that you would need to teach your classes? Are teachers expected to do things other than teach, such as contribute to a blog, create store samples (other than the ones created for class), do "make-n-takes" or demonstrations at crops or for special groups? In short, what expectations do they set for their teachers?

Determine whether you can teach something that is different or a "step up" from what they're currently offering. Create a portfolio of projects to show them. Your portfolio could be something as simple as a 3-ring notebook with photos of past projects. It also helps to have some samples to show them in person. If you have a blog, be ready to direct people to it.

Call or stop at the store and ask if they are looking for new teachers. If yes, ask to set up a time to speak with the person who does the hiring. Then go in with your portfolio and be ready to discuss specific ideas for the types of classes you could teach. Having a sample or two to show them is even better.

If the hiring person isn't available, or if they seem reluctant to set up a meeting, offer to leave your portfolio or some samples for them to look at, with a business card so they can contact you. Let's face it--people are busy and may not want to make time for you unless they have some idea of what you can offer them.

You have to treat it just like a job interview. The bottom line for them is: can you help them make money via the classes you teach. But you also need to know what the bottom line for YOU is. Why do you want to do this? For fun? To have access to the newest products? To make some straight cash? It needs to be mutually beneficial for it to really work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Smaller stores seem to be the way to go if you want to teach. I wouldn't even waste your time with the larger chains - sounds like some "not so positive" experiences there.

I'm going to be teaching some Copic classes at some smaller scrapbook stores. One store approached me (my name is listed on the Copic site as an instructor and they contacted me off of that) and the other is a store in the area that I actually contacted. They both were willing to negotiate payment. For both, I set up an actual price per student that I wanted as my fee and set a minimum number of students. They will be ordering and supplying the markers, so I told them what to order and they are then setting the class fee to cover my fee and the cost of supplies.

There are a lot of different ways to set up and negotiate cost and fees. My suggestion - make sure to get everything in writing and don't sell yourself short. (And if you have to travel - make sure to get mileage or include that in your fee.)

Reply With Quote Likes