Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Novel Series....

In the March 2010 issue of Cardmaker Magazine, there is an ad from Annie'sAttic advertising three novels in a new mystery series created for craft lovers. Has anyone gotten any of these books so far? Your reviews?

Thanks!

Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I haven't seen the mag, but last summer I read three books from Cricket McRae's Home Crafting Mystery series, and they were fun. "Lye in Wait" (about soapmaking), "Heaven Preserve Us" (about home canning), and "Spin a Wicked Web" (about wool spinning).

I know there are a lot of authors out there who have craft related books, like Debbie Macomber and her knitting/quilting books. I think it's Laura Childs who has a scrapbooking series. Any others out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I enjoy the Laura Childs series and now I've found another I really like. Joanna Campbell Slan has written Paper, Scissors, Death and Cut, Crop and Die. They are quick, easy, enjoyable reads. I don't have time to read a really in depth book so these are just right for sticking in my purse and reading during my lunch break. I've also read a couple of books by Terri Thayer. They are mysteries with touches of stamping thrown in and Lucy Lawrence has written some with decoupage and mystery.
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #4  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

While not really paper craft related, it is craft related. There is a mystery series that is crochet related. Hooked on Murder, Dead Men Don't Crochet and By Hook or By Crook by Betty Hechtman.
And Maryrose is correct, the scrapbooking series is by Laura Childs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 523 Likes on 235 Posts

There is a Maggie Sefton series of knitting mysteries...
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #6  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

here is a link to the books to which the op is referring http://www.anniesmysteries.com/
It is a book club. Not my cup of tea, I don't like clubs that send you things automatically. I also prefer my mysteries in paperback so I can carry them around to the different activities I sit through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Default Crafty Mysteries

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpt58View Post
I enjoy the Laura Childs series and now I've found another I really like. Joanna Campbell Slan has written Paper, Scissors, Death and Cut, Crop and Die. They are quick, easy, enjoyable reads. I don't have time to read a really in depth book so these are just right for sticking in my purse and reading during my lunch break. I've also read a couple of books by Terri Thayer. They are mysteries with touches of stamping thrown in and Lucy Lawrence has written some with decoupage and mystery.
Kathy T

Terri Thayer, Betty Hechtman and I are blog sisters at Killer Hobbies. Both women are wonderful authors and crafters.

Cricket McRae and I have the same publisher. She's a total sweetheart!

Maggie Sefton and I are going to be on an upcoming panel together.

There are so many nice authors out there who love crafts. A bunch of us did a special "craft room" at a big mystery conference. The response was fantastic.

<snip>

Last edited by stamp_momma; 04-18-2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: remove promotional posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

wow straight from the horses mouth!

I wonder how you find out about a mystery conference or if that is just for author's.
If so, If you authors want to come to the Valley Forge area I will happily run a craft workshop for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Default List of Novels

I've attached a list of novels I made up for my local library so they could get the books for me on inter-library loan.

It's an MS Excel spreadsheet. I hope it helps!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Reading List.xls (20.0 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

There are also a couple of specifically "card-making" mysteries by Elizabeth Bright. I liked them, but I haven't seen any new ones lately. I think they're still available through Amazon . . .

Happy reading! (And may I just say how nice it is to have Ms. Slan with us?!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna C. SlanView Post
Terri Thayer, Betty Hechtman and I are blog sisters at Killer Hobbies. Both women are wonderful authors and crafters.

There are so many nice authors out there who love crafts. A bunch of us did a special "craft room" at a big mystery conference. The response was fantastic.

My first two books are available on Kindle, and the third in the series--Photo, Snap, Shot--will be out in May just in time for National Scrapbooking Month. I hope some of you will check them out.
Thank you for the heads up, Joanna! I will definitely look up your book this May! I thought that the publishers did a great job with Cricket McRae's series...nice cover art, a really comfortable size paperback with nice print (I think I must be a book snob, but sometimes a book just fits well in your hands...and in a handbag!), a a great hook to promote the other books in the series. Best of luck with your newest publication!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Mystery Conferences

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
wow straight from the horses mouth!

I wonder how you find out about a mystery conference or if that is just for author's.
If so, If you authors want to come to the Valley Forge area I will happily run a craft workshop for you!
Actually, there's a big one every year in the Washington DC area called Malice Domestic. I just moved to this area, so let's talk about that craft workshop!

Malice is for cozies, which is a type of mystery like Jessica Fletcher did on Murder She Wrote or Agatha Christie wrote. No graphic violence or sex. A fun puzzle to solve. Anyone can come to Malice. Just google them, but be sure to check that it's this year's event--April 28 through May 1, I believe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Default Cricket's series

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Thank you for the heads up, Joanna! I will definitely look up your book this May! I thought that the publishers did a great job with Cricket McRae's series...nice cover art, a really comfortable size paperback with nice print (I think I must be a book snob, but sometimes a book just fits well in your hands...and in a handbag!), a a great hook to promote the other books in the series. Best of luck with your newest publication!
MaryRose, Midnight Ink does the BEST covers. I love my artist, Kevin Brown. They staged the photos for Cricket's book and our editor loaned the yarn spindle as I recall. This size of book is called "trade paperback." They are bigger than the small drugstore paperbacks. I like the type size and the quality of paper. I'll share your kind thoughts with them. Heck, everybody can use a little "atta girl" once in a while, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I don't know how to send private messages, but thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I try to respond whenever I see my name mentioned. I really appreciate it when someone spreads the word about my books, so the least I can do is stop by and say, "Thanks!"

You all made my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

My first two books are available on Kindle, and the third in the series--Photo, Snap, Shot--will be out in May just in time for National Scrapbooking Month. I hope some of you will check them out.
Cool..............A real live author.................makes me giddy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I've read a few of the Laura Childs books, and I have to say that they aren't my thing. I find the mysteries to be so simplistic that I've solved them before I'm half-way through the book, and the scrapbooking references seem forced and out-of-date. I do like that they take place in New Orleans, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #17  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Actually, there's a big one every year in the Washington DC area called Malice Domestic. I just moved to this area, so let's talk about that craft workshop!

Malice is for cozies, which is a type of mystery like Jessica Fletcher did on Murder She Wrote or Agatha Christie wrote. No graphic violence or sex. A fun puzzle to solve. Anyone can come to Malice. Just google them, but be sure to check that it's this year's event--April 28 through May 1, I believe.
oh I have read every cozy my library has to offer. I even roam the aisles at B&N and can't find something I want to read that I haven't already. LOL! I know we have a local bookstore that has a better mystery section, I am just never down that way. I even pick the shelves at used bookstores but more times than not I pick up a book i donated to them!

Are you in the dc area or the Phila area? I love to play! I will go google Malice Domestic.
thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #18  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I don't know how to send private messages, but thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I try to respond whenever I see my name mentioned. I really appreciate it when someone spreads the word about my books, so the least I can do is stop by and say, "Thanks!"

You all made my day!
to private message you click on the individuals screen name to the upper left of their post, then click on the send a private message link.

We usually respond to each other just the way you are by quoting and well, responding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #19  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I've read a few of the Laura Childs books, and I have to say that they aren't my thing. I find the mysteries to be so simplistic that I've solved them before I'm half-way through the book, and the scrapbooking references seem forced and out-of-date. I do like that they take place in New Orleans, though.
I am actually reading a Laura Childs book right now. It is her Cackleberry Club series. I am not crazy about some of the situations she lets her lead character get into. I mean really, what woman in her right mind stops the car at a desolate, deserted ruin of a church/ graveyard in the dark, gets a flashlight and decides to look around? Of course she is going to find a dead body, who wouldn't. (LOL)
I love having a cozy in the car, one on my bedside stand and one somewhere on the first floor of the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #20  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Just "googled" you Joanna, I have read your first novel. I really enjoyed it, I will set out to find the 2nd when I see a bookstore on my daily errand run. Unfrotunately, when you read these books as quickly and as often as I do they start to blur together and the author's names get lost in my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Ooh, I'm a cozy-lover, too. To tell the truth, I think I just want to BE Jessica Fletcher when I grow up...tooling around a little New Enlgand town on my bike with a basket of flowers attached to the handle bars. Ah, bliss! ;)

I've enjoyed M.C. Beaton's books a lot...her Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series are a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Joanna....Loved your books...I got so excited when I saw you post on here!!! I'm a fan and can't wait for the next one...

My husband said...."It was him or scrapbooking"...I took pictures of him packing and made the cutest pages!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #23  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Mary Rose I would rather Mrs Pollifax, I believe she drives and walks around town, not to mention travels the world! LOL!
by the way i believe the Mrs. Pollifax series is what got me hooked on Cozies, I think I started reading them when I was a young girl (after Nancy Drew).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #24  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

hopefully Joanna will come back to get inspired for her next scrapbooking novel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #25  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Death on the Forums
a thread of death
digital death
a dirty dozen death
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 366 Likes on 191 Posts

I agree with the others, I'm a bit starstruck to know that there is an actual author amongst us- exciting! I printed out the excel sheet (love Excel) with the listing of books and I'm headed to Borders tomorrow. Joanna, I don't know where you live, but if you are ever in Southern CA, let me know. I will invite you to my stamping room any time!! Thanks for stopping by to say hello.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Even my author friends and I have trouble remembering who wrote what. The really silly part is that many authors have pen names, so once when Monica Ferris called my room and left her real name, I didn't know who it was!

As for Jessica Fletcher, I loved her but no one would ever want to be her friend. Everyone wound up dead.

Regarding the visit in the dark...that's a situation we cozy authors find ourselves in often. How do you put your sleuth in realistic danger? I always try to give Kiki a compelling reason. Usually someone she loves is at risk.

Okay, off to edit Book #4, which is tentatively called--Make, Take, Murder. (I say tentative because authors don't control their book titles. I think my publisher will like my title, but we'll see!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I've compiled a more complete list after doing some research. It's still an excell spreadsheet!

Some of the books are not yet available but I've added them to the list as well.

Enjoy your reading!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Reading List.xls (27.0 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

ohh just found this thread. Looking forward to getting some more good reads! I just finished Tragic Magic by Laura Childs.. love that series. It's light and perfect for before bed reading

Another series I loved awhile back was the China Bayles series by Susan Wittig Albert..seems to me it involved herbs or a greenhouse sorta thing. It was set in south Texas where I grew up so I enjoyed that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Joanna- I really loved your books and can't wait for the third in the series. As someone has said they are nice easy reads and since I'm originally from St Louis and a scrapbooker they really won my heart. I love to see that you are also on the boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #31  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

hey Joanna if you come back here. Could you talk to your publisher and tell him I would really love it if they would put the number on the spine (eg book #1). I get tired of pulling all the book titles out to find the year it was copyrighted so i read them in order.:rolleyes:
thanks

Last edited by SuG; 03-05-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Okay, off to edit Book #4, which is tentatively called--Make, Take, Murder. (I say tentative because authors don't control their book titles. I think my publisher will like my title, but we'll see!)
This reminded me of a funny story. A few years ago, I was a columnist for a suburban paper in the St. Louis area. I'd written a column on vanity plates, and came up with the witty headline "Vanity, Thy Name is License Plate". The editor loved it and used it.

Well, a week later, the St. Louis Post Dispatch (the parent paper of the one I wrote for) ran a front page headline for a link to an online feature. Yep, you guessed it: "Vanity, Thy Name is License Plate". No credit to me or my column whatsoever.

I held up the paper that morning and told my husband "Honey, look! I was plaigarized by a Pulitzer-prize winning newspaper!" It was a proud moment. (And btw, who would've thought a cloumn like that could get so much hate mail?)

I've sinced moved and don't write columns anymore (heck, who can get a job in print these days?), but this thread has reminded me to get back to writing.

Joanna, I picked up "Paper, Scissors, Death" today, and I'm going to feature it on my blog this weekend! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mississippiscrapprView Post
Joanna- I really loved your books and can't wait for the third in the series. As someone has said they are nice easy reads and since I'm originally from St Louis and a scrapbooker they really won my heart. I love to see that you are also on the boards.
How sweet! I'll be back in St. Louis in May doing signings if you are in town. I miss "the Lou," don't you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Default Number on the spine

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
hey Joanna if you come back here. Could you talk to your publisher and tell him I would really love it if they would put the number on the spine (eg book #1). I get tired of pulling all the book titles out to find the year it was copyrighted so i read them in order.:rolleyes:
thanks
SuG, your wish is my command. I had actually asked my editor why they didn't do this, and she said that she thought it was a good idea. So...they are planning to put a "button" on the cover somewhere with the book number.

One of the problems is that a lot of bookstores only stock the latest books, not the "old" ones. So publishers don't want you to walk away empty-handed. That said, it's my job to make you enjoy every one of my books whether you start with the first one or the second or the third. I work REALLY hard not to ruin Book #1 (Paper, Scissors, Death) for you with Book #2 (Cut, Crop & Die) or Book #3. And believe me, sometimes it takes a lot of tapdancing.

But I need the exercise!

j
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a neat thread to come across. I'm starting "Cut, Crop, & Die" tonight. We're staying in a small town for a hockey tournament and I knew I'd need a good book for down time at the hotel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

I had so much fun reading "Paper, Scissors, Death". I think I finished it in two days...I couldn't put it down! Joanna references so many places (and a few people...lol!) from my time in St. Louis. Babler State Park (I lived just down the road from there!), the Archivers store in Chesterfield Mall (my happy place!), Breadco, and so many others. The mystery had me guessing right until the end. I can't wait to read the others!

I also loved Kiki's tips for scrapbooking that were included in the book. Reading about how passionate the main character was about scrapbooking has actually inspired me to get back at it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Joanna, so happy to see you here. I think I took a class from you in Nashville at the Simply Southern event serveral years ago. I really miss those events. I never journaled in my scrapbooks, just who,when and where. (maybe) because after all they were my albums and I already knew the who, what, where...... LOL I now try to journal at little more on the pages, thanks to you. I'm looking forward to getting your books and readying them, I love to read........... welcome.
Thanks for all the reading material all you ladies have listed and for the spread sheet. I see a lot of reading that I have missed out on.
I have read just about everyhting that Laura Childs has in the Scrapbooking and Tea Room series. I haven't read anything from the other series. But I enjoy her books because they are funny, entertaining and a quick read.
Thanks for this thread. I will be sure to check back often.

Estelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

I just wanted to add that I picked up another crafty mystery this weekend. I found "Framed in Lace" by Monica Ferris, part of her Needlecraft Mystery series. I thought it would be fun, seeing as my other hobby is needleart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Perhaps you're thinking of the Sisters, Ink series by Rebecca Seitz?
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

I can only "chat" for a minute--my editor is eager for Book #4, which I've tentatively called "Make, Take, Murder." (At this rate, we'll all be afraid of crafting, eh?) Beth, I hope you enjoyed "Cut, Crop & Die." MaryRose, my son was just home from college, so I went to Panera Bread (aka St. Louis Bread Co, but what do folks in DC know?) and brought home two huge bags of their food. Love it! MamaHowe, I really enjoyed the Simply Southern conventions. Do they even exist anymore? My mom went with me to one. She died in July, so the times we spent "on the road" are some of my best memories. Okay, off to editing chores. Must put on thinking cap--
Reply With Quote Likes