Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting SU stamps to acrylics

I was wondering if anybody out there could help me:confused: I have a lot of SU stamps and I love them!!! The problem is that I like to take them to work with me so that I can stamp on downtime. They are a bit bulky in my bag. Is there any way to take them off of the blocks and make them so that I can use them on acrylic blocks? I figured that if I did this I would take more sets with me and store them in binders that would be easier to carry. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, is there any way to do this without making it too sticky?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Well, obviously, if you have new sets don't mount them on to the wood blocks. Instead use EZMount. They are double sided sticky with foam in the middle. One side is for your stamp and one side is for your block or binder page (during storage).

The new sets that are die-cut already, or for stamps that have been mounted onto a wood block, you can use this old trick. Put your stamp in the microwave for 10 seconds and you can easily remove the stamp from the block. It ain't going to be pretty on the melty sticky, but you can peel off the rubber easily. I wouldn't recommend longer unless it's really really stuck on the block. Even then, I would only do it on a 5 seconds increment.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that. Maybe I'll do some trial & error.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I have done this with ALL of my retired sets and most of the individual stamps that I have purchased over the last 20 years. EZ peazy! Sometimes you don't even need to use the microwave, they peel off pretty easily. And, not all of mine are on EZMount. Some of them I just put Wacky Tac (available on QVC) on the back of the rubber and use without cushion (I don't see a difference in the stamped image). I think it's personal preference whether you use the cushion or not. I store all of them in CD Jewel cases that I found here....www.rima.com (they are available without the inserts which I found were a pain to try to take out!). HTH Any questions, you can PM me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonmistView Post
Well, obviously, if you have new sets don't mount them on to the wood blocks. Instead use EZMount. They are double sided sticky with foam in the middle. One side is for your stamp and one side is for your block or binder page (during storage). . .
Since SU! stamps are already pre-cushioned, do you mean that you need to remove the cushion, and then apply EZ Mount, or do you leave the cushion and apply the extra EZ Mount?? :confused:

Couldn't you just apply vinyl cling to the sticky side of the pre-cushioned image (after you remove the liner paper, of course)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I found that when I was unmounting the SU rubber came off rather easy from only the wood block and I didn't always need to microwave. Just peel the rubber off and see how it goes before zapping it.

If you have stamps from other companies, those can bee a little more difficult. The rubber does peel off from the foam nicely or leaves a residue. You can try these in microwave.

What I ended up doing was purchasing both regular EZ Mount and EZ Mount thin. For the rubber that peeled off easily from the foam (it's wood, foam, rubber) I put on regular ez mount; for those that still have the foam attached I used the ez mount thin.

I just did another internet search and the seller on ebay w/shipping (Simple Treasures Collage) is still the least expensive on the ez mount. You will also want to purchase a hot knife, which is an electric xacto knife, many SCSers have purchased at various hobby stores w/coupon, I bought mine from Amazon.

Also, eventually someone will post a reply that you dont' have to use ezmount and will suggest Alene's Tack It Over And Over, double sided tape, plastic wrap, etc. Whatever, buy what you want.

Additionally, some folks will say use a CD case instead of binder sheets, it's your personal preference. Between me and WBF (wonderful boyfriend) we had a ton of CD jewel cases (not slim jewell cases) so that's the way I went. Much easier to stick 5 cd cases in your tote than a binder.

Check out U-Tube for tutorials on unmounting and using a hot knife. Pink Cat Studios (it's pink something studios) has a couple of great videos.

Lastly, some folks will say you'll need to make index of all your stamps and put that in a binder in addition to stamping an index cover for the cd case or binder sheet. What's the difference between flipping through a binder of images and flipping through a stack of cd cases?

One more thing....if you do go the cd case route, don't get hung up on stamping all the images on the cover all at the same time. I just labeled the cover w/the contents and will stamp the images as I use. Less stress. I was actually dreading having to stamp all those images. Instead I just labled the spine, I'll get to the stamping later.

Oh yeah, the reason I went w/CD cases, I gained like 10 feet of shelving space. Now I can take my paper out of the drawers and put it on the shelf. I really have to see the colors.

One last thing, really..... you might want to do a search on SCS regarding unmounting, there are tons of threads, cause you really can't turn a rubber image into an acryllic image, but I knew what you meant!
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

With the regular EZ mount you would want to remove the SU cushion and use just the EZ mount. Some people use thin EZ mount in addition to their SU cushion. I do not use this because they are too think to store in CD cases this way. You can use just vinyl cling but most people agee that it loses it's cling eventually unlike the EZ mount foam. I know some people do this, so don't flame me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfaddenView Post
Also, eventually someone will post a reply that you dont' have to use ezmount and will suggest Alene's Tack It Over And Over, double sided tape, plastic wrap, etc. Whatever, buy what you want.
I'll be that someone! I figure, why go and buy all new foam when it's already right there on the rubber (since the OP is talking specifically about SU stamps)? Just heat in the microwave, peel off the wood block, and I find that most times it's still sticky enough just like that to use with an acrylic block. Once it doesn't stick anymore, just coat the foam with a 50/50 solution of water and Aileene's Tack It Over and Over. One $3 bottle of that is a WHOLE lot cheaper than buying all that EZMount, hot knife, etc., and the bottle will last you forever! For brand new unmounted SU stamps, just peel off the paper backing and stick the sticky side on and off of a dishtowel until the lint has cut down on that initial tackiness. You'll be good to go! At the very least, it's a much more economical way to see if you really want to go the unmounted route without making a big monetary investment (and having to track down all those supplies). JMHO! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Since SU! stamps are already pre-cushioned, do you mean that you need to remove the cushion, and then apply EZ Mount, or do you leave the cushion and apply the extra EZ Mount?? :confused:

Couldn't you just apply vinyl cling to the sticky side of the pre-cushioned image (after you remove the liner paper, of course)?
Yes you could, or you can do what I did and place the image sticker on cushion and apply Ailene's Tack Over and Over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

When I removed my SU stamps from their blocks (no microwave, they peeled off easily) there was enough sticky on them that I just stuck them to the back of the acrylic blocks, no tack it over, no double side tape, etc. It's been a week, and they are still fine- once they dry out, then I'll figure something else out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Unmounting my SU stamps was my focus for a LONG time. Couldn't decide how to do it, so tried it all - EZMount, double-sided tape, etc. Have some in all different stages still. Best decision I ever made, though. Whatever you do, it will be so worth it. :-D

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all for the great ideas. You ladies are absolutely awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

May I suggest that you only do a few at a time and see if you like stamping with stamps that don't have an image on them? I have found that I prefer wood mounted with an image or clear photopolymer (that has stained!).

Of course, I buy unmounted stamps on ez foam and am happy to have them (!!), but when given an option I choose the indexed wood mount.

I'd hate to see you end up with a pile of stamps and wish you hadn't unmounted all of them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
May I suggest that you only do a few at a time and see if you like stamping with stamps that don't have an image on them?

I'd hate to see you end up with a pile of stamps and wish you hadn't unmounted all of them!!!
A great big WORD to Joan's suggestion. I use unmounteds and love 'em, image or no, but there's no rule that says you are required to unmount all of them. Try a set or two and see if you like them. Then you can decide if you want to unmount more.

Also keep in mind that if you're thinking you might want to sell any of these later, unmounting them will lower their resale value. Not an issue for me, because I tend to not get rid of anything, but it is something to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #15  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

EZ-mount thin is what I use. It's perfect for SU stamps because you can leave the original cushion on.

My storage is combination of Stamp N Store from Sunday International
Store More Stamps by little Monkeys
and the new Inque Botique clear 12x12 clamshell containers

Amazing how much room I've gain since unmounting them

Just need to figure out how to get rid of all my wood blocks

Original EZ Mount is for plain rubber with no cushion like the bella stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Were any of you that unmounted the SU! sets concerned about the value of them if you were to sell them later?

Also if you really wanted the image on the back of a unmounted stamp you could stamp the EZ Mount with Staz On and then align the stamp accordingly. That's what I do for all my Angel Company sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Since I am not a SU Demo, I don't worry about retired sets. If I love it, I keep it!

There are many people who would buy an unmounted set as fast as those that would buy mounted.

Mounted sets do not keep me from buying. I just take them all off. Saves space, time and $$ in the end.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #18  

I demo my sets on wood then when they retire I can unmount them. I hope someday SU will offer the unmounted option but so far it looks like it won't happen for a long while....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarystampingmomView Post
EZ-mount thin is what I use. It's perfect for SU stamps because you can leave the original cushion on.

My storage is combination of Stamp N Store from Sunday International
Store More Stamps by little Monkeys
and the new Inque Botique clear 12x12 clamshell containers

Amazing how much room I've gain since unmounting them

Just need to figure out how to get rid of all my wood blocks

Original EZ Mount is for plain rubber with no cushion like the bella stamps
Hi ,

I got the EZ Think Mount for my SU Stamps. But the only thing is that the clink part of that is black, so I cannot stamp an image of the stamp on it like i have done with my other stamps and the regulare ez mount. So, was wondering if you had any tips for it, so that I can see through the acrylic how I was stamping it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #20  

I use White Staz On to stamp on the cling side of the thin EZ Mount then mount my stamp to the sticky side and cut with the rubber facing me.

If you have a hot knife you can also stamp your image then hold the rubber side down while you trim. This will ensure that the image perfectly matches the stamp.

HTH

Alicia

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh_dallasView Post
Hi ,

I got the EZ Think Mount for my SU Stamps. But the only thing is that the clink part of that is black, so I cannot stamp an image of the stamp on it like i have done with my other stamps and the regulare ez mount. So, was wondering if you had any tips for it, so that I can see through the acrylic how I was stamping it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh_dallasView Post
Hi ,

Could you stamp the image on in craft white ink? That would give you a basic guideline to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

My unmounted have four layers: the rubber, foam, image sticker, and vinyl cling. I use crystal effects as glue to put on the image sticker if it is not sticky enough and also on the vinyl cling. I have used this method for over two years and everything is still clingy. I like having the image on the top side of the rubber especially for words I do store mine in CD jewel cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have several new SU sets and want to try the unmounted route. I don't want to purchase EZ Mount but prefer leaving on the cushion that's already there. I have some Tack It Over and Over if I need that. Once I trim the rubber and cushion and remove the paper backing, what's next? Do I need to apply the Tack It or just stick the stamp to the CD case? I don't know what vinyl cling is--can somebody help with that? I tried this with one small sentiment stamp and found that when I just cut out the stamp and removed the paper, it adhered itself to the CD case so well that it wants to tear the cushion off when I try to remove the stamp from the plastic case--not good. I want to go the unmounted route for space consideration. I'm not a demo and if I do want to sell any stamp sets later, I'll just mount them on the wood blocks that I'll be saving but storing where I have more space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I unmounted ALL my stamps a few weeks ago and haven't been happier with the results. I wrote a quick tutorial on how to do it and how to index the stamps once they're unmounted. It's on my blog:

http://kathy-prettyinink.blogspot.co...een-up-to.html
http://kathy-prettyinink.blogspot.co...long-post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20somethingView Post
I unmounted ALL my stamps a few weeks ago and haven't been happier with the results. I wrote a quick tutorial on how to do it and how to index the stamps once they're unmounted. It's on my blog:

http://kathy-prettyinink.blogspot.co...een-up-to.html
http://kathy-prettyinink.blogspot.co...long-post.html
looks really organized. Gratz!
Reply With Quote Likes