Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONSIDERING BECOMING A SU DEMO

I HAVE BEEN CONDSIDERING BECOMING A SU DEMO EVERY SINCE I STARTED STAMPING ABOUT A YEAR AND AHALF AGO. I HAVE A QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO IS A DEMO. HOW MUCH DID YOU HAVE TO INVEST UP FRONT BESIDES JUST THE BASIC STARTER KITS? DID YOU PLAN AHEAD AND SAY LIKE - I PLAN ON DOING AT LEAST 4 SHOWS A MONTH WITH THREE TECHNIQUES AND GUESTIMATING ABOUT 6 TO 8 PEOPLE AT A SHOW AND YOU PURCHASED EXTRA CARD STOCK AND INKS LIKE THAT? I KNOW THE QUOTA IS $300.00 EVERY THREE MONTHS I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS I KNOW I COULD SPEND ABOUT $100.00 A MONTH ON PRODUCTS ALONE. I PLAN ON BUILDING UP MY STOCK FOR A FEW MONTHS BEFORE I ACTUALLY START DOING WORKSHOPS. DO YOU SUGGEST THAT I DO THIS. I KNOW I ALSO WANT TO DO THE IN HOME WORKSHOPS LIKE EVERY OTHER MONTH AND WITH DOING THIS I KNOW MY OLD DEMO USED TO CHARGE LIKE SIX DOLLARS FOR THREE PROJECTS AND FOR ALL ORDERS OVER $25.00 YOUR NAME WENT IN A DRAWING FOR A FREE STAMP SET. SO WHAT I AM THINKING IS YOU REALLY HAVE TO INVEST IN LITTLE MORE THAN WHAT IS OFFERED IN IN THE STARTED KITS. I KNOW I AM RAMBLING ON BUT I AM JUST LOOKING FOR HONEST OPINIONS ON THE BUSINESS AND I AM GRATEFUL FOR ANY IFORMATION ANYONE HAS TO OFFER THAT WILL TURN THAT UNCERTAIN FACE INTO A SMILE THANK YOU
PRICELESS
You can take away all my stamps, but you will never take away the stamper in me.

Last edited by BSTAMPINITUP; 08-23-2005 at 03:46 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

This is a GREAT time to sign up. The starter kit gets better every year Plus, if you sign up by the end of the month, you get an entire color family of classic pads to go with it! I don't think you need anything else to start out. A lot will depend on what you want projects you want to demo. I bought a lot of stuff when I first started out 1 1/2 years ago, but that is because I wanted stuff, not because I needed it ;) There are a lot of samples of things to demo with just the starter kit items.
Also, I would start doing workshops, classes right away. Not only can you earn free stamp sets with Stampin' Start, but you may find that the $ you make from workshop sales will buy any additional items you may want.
Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. You will also get a ton of wonderful advice on this site. Good luck with your decision. I love being a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #3  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

If you know people interested, there's no need to wait to start having workshops/parties. You will get enough variety and diversity with your starter kit to go straight to work!

You don't need to buy ahead unless you know who's coming. Best thing to do, plan your first workshop using stuff in the starter kit. And go from there. Do you have an idea in mind if you will have a large customer base from the start, or will you have to build one?

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:00 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

The starter kit really is designed to give you everything you need to start with. I think when I signed up, I paid full price for the kit and the only other SU thing I had was the Hydrangea stamp set and a small prono one with a flag one it. Back then we had the option of a basic starter kit or a bigger one and I paid I think $249 or $299 for the bigger one because it had more options and included more. Then each time I had a workshop of a club order, I added some of my own stuff to the order (and usually gor a little free stuff, too because the workshop total was higher!).

The one thing I wish I had sone at the beginning was purchase more supplies and less stamps. It's easy to purchase all sorts of stamp sets, but you can demo endlessly with just a few sets if you have a variety of papers and other embellishments.

PM me if you want some more input.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:23 AM   #5  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I signed up to be a hobby demo in January and have NOT HAD A SHOW YET!! I keep my minimums just by friends and family ordering right now. I have sent out an email to all my customers about having classes and have asked them what they would be interested in doing. Remember the first minimum you have until the end of the following quarter to make!! So that means if you signed up in August you have until the end of the year to make your first minimum. I had an Open House to kick off my "I am a SU Demo now" and that was very successful too I have not regretted signing up and wish I would have done it sooner actually, but NOW is the best time so you can get that free set of ink pads!!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Just chiming in to say that yes, you can do two or more workshops with the things in your kit alone. Remember that not every workshop needs to be totally hands on. You can stretch your supplies quite far if you just demo 2 projects, and let guests make a card and a tag.

As others said, you can also take your instant income, and reinvest in your business with your beginning workshops by adding a couple of packs of cardstock onto those orders. That way, you're not dipping into your personal funds to get going. I will say, I did spend money on business cards, but that's the only other startup expense I had.

Stampin' Up also offers a Business Booster kit within the first year, which is a bundle of business supplies, including IBCs and minis, at a greatly reduced price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

I signed up to be a hobby demo, and have since found so many things to do with the stamps that come in the starter kit, that I have already had my first party, and scheduled more!!!
The thing that I found that I could use more of is PAPER!! So for my first hostess order, I ordered a TON of paper!! You get 30% off of first order!! So far that has been the only thing that I have found that I needed before I did anything.
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 06:43 AM   #8  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

well when I started I had 2 BIG drawers full of stamps already, and ALL the ink pads & markers so I was set on that end. My first order was with my Open House that way I took all my instant income from their orders and put in $200 more on my part and got a lot of "supplies".
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BStampinitup--please do not take offense? This is just meant to inform, just in case you, or others, weren't aware . . .

All caps is considered shouting in netspeak, as it is very hard on the eyes to read?

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, only to offer a helpful suggestion for those that may not realize that about all caps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Default STARTING FROM SCRATCH

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
If you know people interested, there's no need to wait to start having workshops/parties. You will get enough variety and diversity with your starter kit to go straight to work!

You don't need to buy ahead unless you know who's coming. Best thing to do, plan your first workshop using stuff in the starter kit. And go from there. Do you have an idea in mind if you will have a large customer base from the start, or will you have to build one?
I AM STARTING FROM SCRATCH WE RECENTLY MOVED TO FAYETTEVILLE,NC AND I I KNOW ONE PERSON, SHE USED TO WORK IN MY HUSBAND SQUADRON WHEN LIVED IN JAPAN.AND I KNOW SHE WILL PROBABLY BE MY FIRST SHOW AND SHE HAS BEEN HERE FOR ABOUT A YEAR SO SHE KNOWS PEOPLE. THANKS FOR RESPONDING.
PRICELESS
You can take away all my stamps, but you will never take away the stamper in me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny2nh
The starter kit really is designed to give you everything you need to start with. I think when I signed up, I paid full price for the kit and the only other SU thing I had was the Hydrangea stamp set and a small prono one with a flag one it. Back then we had the option of a basic starter kit or a bigger one and I paid I think $249 or $299 for the bigger one because it had more options and included more. Then each time I had a workshop of a club order, I added some of my own stuff to the order (and usually gor a little free stuff, too because the workshop total was higher!).

The one thing I wish I had sone at the beginning was purchase more supplies and less stamps. It's easy to purchase all sorts of stamp sets, but you can demo endlessly with just a few sets if you have a variety of papers and other embellishments.

PM me if you want some more input.....
THANKS SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING
PRICELESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
I signed up to be a hobby demo in January and have NOT HAD A SHOW YET!! I keep my minimums just by friends and family ordering right now. I have sent out an email to all my customers about having classes and have asked them what they would be interested in doing. Remember the first minimum you have until the end of the following quarter to make!! So that means if you signed up in August you have until the end of the year to make your first minimum. I had an Open House to kick off my "I am a SU Demo now" and that was very successful too I have not regretted signing up and wish I would have done it sooner actually, but NOW is the best time so you can get that free set of ink pads!!!
THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING WORDS.
PRICELESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
Just chiming in to say that yes, you can do two or more workshops with the things in your kit alone. Remember that not every workshop needs to be totally hands on. You can stretch your supplies quite far if you just demo 2 projects, and let guests make a card and a tag.

As others said, you can also take your instant income, and reinvest in your business with your beginning workshops by adding a couple of packs of cardstock onto those orders. That way, you're not dipping into your personal funds to get going. I will say, I did spend money on business cards, but that's the only other startup expense I had.

Stampin' Up also offers a Business Booster kit within the first year, which is a bundle of business supplies, including IBCs and minis, at a greatly reduced price.
THANKS!!!!!!!
PRICELESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxiejan
I signed up to be a hobby demo, and have since found so many things to do with the stamps that come in the starter kit, that I have already had my first party, and scheduled more!!!
The thing that I found that I could use more of is PAPER!! So for my first hostess order, I ordered a TON of paper!! You get 30% off of first order!! So far that has been the only thing that I have found that I needed before I did anything.
Good luck!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
PRICELESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
well when I started I had 2 BIG drawers full of stamps already, and ALL the ink pads & markers so I was set on that end. My first order was with my Open House that way I took all my instant income from their orders and put in $200 more on my part and got a lot of "supplies".
THANKS !!!!!!!
PRICELESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

When I started I had nothing but the starter kit. Within the first 3 months or so I spent $1500 on supplies so I didn't feel limited. I got all the ink pads, markers, lots of accessories, and quite a few stamp sets. This was about 9 or 10 months ago and haven't spent that kind of money since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #17  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
BStampinitup--please do not take offense? This is just meant to inform, just in case you, or others, weren't aware . . .

All caps is considered shouting in netspeak, as it is very hard on the eyes to read?

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, only to offer a helpful suggestion for those that may not realize that about all caps!
What she said.... I remember back in the seventies when computers could ONLY do all caps! LOL But we are so spoiled now, and it really is harder to read, plus ... okay yeah, my eyes are older too.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of the best suggestions I got when I started was to concentrate on buying the inks and paper first and borrow stamp sets. Of course, my upline is only about 10 minutes away from me so I'm very lucky. If you have an upline or sideline close by, maybe you could borrow from them until you've established your business a little more....?
I spent about $500 in the first few months b/c there were some additional supplies I wanted (embossing powder, heat gun, additional paper, etc.) but you can definitely use what comes in the starter kit to have several awesome workshops! Actually, it may benefit you to use only those items and show everyone that you don't have to spend a ton of time or money to make cute and fun things!

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Smile US Military Demo Policy

International and Military Activities

This policy describes the authorized selling area; how demonstrators in the military may participate in Stampin� Up!; and the rules regarding the two status levels that apply to military demonstrators.

Sales Activity

Stampin� Up! catalog merchandise may be sold through Stampin� Up!, Inc., only within the 50 states of the United States, District of Columbia, the United States Territories (American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Marianna Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands). Stampin� Up! catalog merchandise may be sold through Stampin� Up! Canada, ULC, only within Canada. Demonstrators who desire to sell in Canada must comply in all respects with the many complicated laws that govern such activity and sign up with and comply with all the rules of Stampin� Up! Canada, ULC.

Any demonstrator who relocates outside of her designated selling area jeopardizes her demonstratorship unless she qualifies for military or military special override only status.

All activities must be in accordance with applicable military regulations and the most current edition of the International and Military Activities policy described here and any other updates or revisions released by Stampin� Up!

Qualifications

To qualify for military status, a demonstrator must:
  • be attached to or stationed at a US military base in a foreign country as: a US military member OR a civilian employee/contractor of the US Department of Defense OR a legal dependent thereof;
  • live on base or in housing near the base with an Army/Air Force Post Office [APO] or Fleet Post Office [FPO] address.

Annually submit a Military Acknowledgment Form signed by her unit or base commander OR a copy of base policy or letter from appropriate authority indicating whether or not she is permitted to sell and/or recruit on base.

All demonstrators who meet these qualifications will qualify for military status, regardless or whether or not they are permitted to sell and/or recruit on base.

Demonstrators may sell to customers living abroad only if the customer can provide an APO/FPO address. All sales activities must take place on base or in military housing.

If a demonstrator is not permitted to sell and/or recruit on her base, she will still receive regular company mailings and may place orders for her personal use. She may also place orders for customers living in the designated selling territory and on other bases (assuming they can provide an APO/FPO address), as permitted by her base regulations. However, she will not be eligible for the Annual Achievement Awards program.

Demonstrators who also meet the following additional qualifications can apply for military special override only status:
  • not permitted to sell on base
  • $3,000 net personal sales during the previous 12 months
  • at least one active downline member

Military Status

Military status demonstrators have the option of selling products and recruiting. It will be the responsibility of the demonstrator to learn whether sales and recruiting activities are allowed on base before she participates in these activities.

Military status is similar to active status (see �Status�), except no quarterly minimum sales requirement must be met (due to the limited nature of the market). Therefore, unless requested, these demonstrators will not be placed on pending status or dropped while on military status. They must meet their $250 monthly minimums to qualify for any override commission.

Military status demonstrators will receive promotions, retitlements, and title reinstatements (see the �Promotions and Title Maintenance� section in this chapter) based on their sales and downline promotion activity. Only demonstrators who are permitted to sell on base are eligible for Annual Achievement Awards. Those who are not permitted to sell on base are ineligible.

Demonstrators may not sell or recruit off base in a foreign country, including selling to or recruiting US citizens living abroad that can not provide an APO/FPO address. They may sell to friends, family, and established customers in the US by having their orders shipped directly to their customers in the US.

Military Special Override Only

Demonstrators on military special override only status may not sell product to customers either inside or outside the US.

Demonstrators who meet the aforementioned qualifications for military special override only status will not be placed on pending status or dropped while on this status and will receive a two percent override commission on their downline�s sales.

Demonstrators on this status may place orders with Stampin� Up! for items for personal use, submitted on a Demonstrator Order. They may retain the 20 percent instant income from these orders but will receive no volume rebate. Their titles will not change while in this status, and they will not be eligible for Annual Achievement Awards or the Great Rewards program. (Demonstrators should redeem any outstanding Great Rewards points before applying for military special override only status. They will not be able to redeem prizes after they are placed on military special override only status.)

Paperwork Required to Obtain and Maintain Military Status

When demonstrators learn that they are being relocated to a military installation abroad, if they wish to remain Stampin� Up! demonstrators they must submit a Military Acknowledgement Form within 30 days of the transfer date. This form is available on the Demonstrator Web Site under Business Tools and can also be obtained by contacting Demonstrator Support. Once this document is received and processed by Demonstrator Support, the demonstrator will be placed on the military status appropriate to her situation.

New recruits on military bases must submit a Military Acknowledgment Form with their Independent Demonstrator Application and the Starter Kit Order Form.

Demonstrators on both military and military special override only status must renew their paperwork annually by submitting a Military Acknowledgement Form signed by their base or unit commander. Please be aware that this is the demonstrator�s responsibility, and Stampin� Up! does not guarantee that each demonstrator on military status will be reminded to do so. Failure to submit this renewal could jeopardize the demonstratorship.

Upon returning to the United States, the demonstrator will need to submit a Military Return Form (available on the Demonstrator Web Site under Business Tools). Once this form is received, the demonstrator will be placed back on active status. The demonstrator will not be required to meet the quarterly minimum sales requirement until the first full quarter after Stampin� Up! receives the appropriate paperwork.

The foregoing constitutes the complete �International and Military Activities� policy and is considered fully incorporated into the terms and conditions of the Stampin� Up! Independent Demonstrator Agreement, as well as the Demonstrator Manual as it is amended from time to time.

The terms of this policy shall govern in the event of a conflict among documents. Failure to abide strictly with the terms and rules may result in suspension or termination of your Stampin� Up! demonstratorship, as more fully set forth in the Demonstrator Manual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Default no longer apo

hi, thanks for that information, i am no longer in japan ( i need to update my profile). but it is useful if we are ordered to go overseas again. thanks
PRICELESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 05:07 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should sign up. I did. If you do it before the end of Aug, you'd get a free set (one color family) of classic inks. So you'd start out with 18 ink pads instead of 6. Plus once you sign up...you get a one time incentive of 30% off an order. After that you get 20% off...So your $$ goes farther with the discount and you can build up your collection that way.
Reply With Quote Likes