Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Commenting on SCS Cards
Always comment 27 10.63%
Sometimes comment 216 85.04%
Never comment 11 4.33%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Commenting on SCS cards.

Do you always comment, sometimes comment or never comment on SCS cards?

I was just wondering because I have a friend that never comments. I usually comment on the ones that really impress me or sometimes I look for cards w/o comments.

Just thought I'd ask.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I comment on cards that I love or will put into my favorites. Also sometimes if there's one element that makes the card stand out, I'll make a comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

When I find the time to actually get in the gallery... I usually leave a comment... if I like that card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do leave comments, but not often. I actually haven't been to the gallery very much lately. Like you, I'll post something if a card or other item really grabs me with an unusual color combination or an out of the box use for a stamp or accessory. I also try to say something specific instead of just writing "nice card" or "very pretty" because IMO that does nothing to tell the person just what was good about the design.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I usually leave a comment on any card that I click on to see the larger image. If it interests me that much, I say so....especially nice when the thumbnail didn't do it justice. Just leaving comments on the 47 cards that did my VSN challenge was so hard!! I am on a gallery break for a few days now.

ETA....doesn't it bug you to see ( or get) like 75 views and no comments??? Even if it is creative critisism, you can always find SOMETHING to say.

Last edited by Disneywed; 02-15-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I comment on the cards that I open up to look at. It is only fair to do that I think.

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsByPia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I, too, usually leave a comment on the ones I take the time to open and look at closer. There's some reason I want to look at them so think it only fair to the stamper that a comment is given. My .02 worth :>)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

I look for cards with no comments and add something. If I LOVE a card that already has 30+ comments I probably don't comment. I wish the newbies could get better comments and more often... that's where I try to help out.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2
I, too, usually leave a comment on the ones I take the time to open and look at closer. There's some reason I want to look at them so think it only fair to the stamper that a comment is given. My .02 worth :>)
what she said.

On a sidenote, Jovi I love ur monkey avatar, so cute!!

Easwari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I try to comment if I have something specific to comment on. If a card is just spectacular and I can't pinpoint why, then I leave the generic "nice card"

I probably comment on about 70% of the cards I open to look at big.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
I look for cards with no comments and add something. If I LOVE a card that already has 30+ comments I probably don't comment. I wish the newbies could get better comments and more often... that's where I try to help out.

I agree with this - I try to comment on the ones that don't have a lot of comments on. I know that when I started posting pics, I was doing that to get some input on whether it was a good design or not, if I had added enough elements, or if it could use a little something more. Not against the ones that have 30 or so posts on their cards, but we already know they do an awesome job! I love the cards to, but I think encouragement is needed for the ones just starting and trying to get their own creative juices going. I have only been stamping since July, and I feel I have come a long way, but getting some opinions helps us all out, gives us new ideas and gives us the confidence to keep at it in a slump. Just my opinion!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

Each day I make time to post comments on cards because I know how much I appreciate the time someone takes to comment on my cards, and we all love getting that positive reinforcement. I also try to find at least one card a day where maybe someone hasn't received a comment yet. I don't always get the time I would like to get through the day's new additions. There are the FAVS out there that always get tons and tons of comments on their cards because they do make absolutely stunningly gorgeous creations, and I comment on their cards as well. Just because they are a lot more talented than I and get so many comments doesn't keep me from remarking on theirs. Just taking a minute for a word of encouragement for someone else's creation on this hobby so many of us love really turns a person's day around!
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilLuvsStampin
Each day I make time to post comments on cards because I know how much I appreciate the time someone takes to comment on my cards, and we all love getting that positive reinforcement. I also try to find at least one card a day where maybe someone hasn't received a comment yet. I don't always get the time I would like to get through the day's new additions. There are the FAVS out there that always get tons and tons of comments on their cards because they do make absolutely stunningly gorgeous creations, and I comment on their cards as well. Just because they are a lot more talented than I and get so many comments doesn't keep me from remarking on theirs. Just taking a minute for a word of encouragement for someone else's creation on this hobby so many of us love really turns a person's day around!
PURRRRFECTLY SAID!!! I agree 100% :smile:
I'll add to that with: even though I do comment on cards with zero or very few comments, I NEVER use 'empty' words. There is usually something about each creation that is praise worthy.

I've been stamping for about 8 years, and if I ever want a good laugh, I just go in my closet and pull out some of my first creations.... man.... is that ever funny!!

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually go through the new uploads everyday and make comments on the cards that Wow me. I've been sick a lot lately, so I've had some catching up to do. I'm afraid I'm going to miss something so awesome I'd want to CASE it! It's also made my wish list grow! LOL!

Because I make so many comments each week, I'm the kind of person that tends to give short comments like "super cute" or Beautiful". I see nothing wrong with it because I wouldn't take the time if I didn't really like it. I love all comments on my cards... short or detailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I am out of work..so I try to leave 10 comments a day (I saw someone say they did that), and I do look for those with no or few comments, and since I have the time, I want to encourage others. I'm pretty much a newbie myself, and I appreciate others leaving comments for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with the ideas concerning items that don't have many comments. Again, nothing against the cards with many comments - there just is not enough time to mention all of them.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel like it is the very least I can do is enter a comment when I like a card enough to save it to my faves ..... but it takes way too long to download (or whatever it does) and then sometimes it does not even record what I have typed (it ends up as something like

).

It ends up that I don't comment half as often as I would like too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #18  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Great thread!

I usually look at many cards through the week and comment on all that stand out to me - which is pretty often. However, I do not post a comment that has been said 25 times. If I'm going to be completely redundant to the last 10 posts to the card then I will not say the same thing (unless my fingers get away from me and I can't help it :-). )

Also, if a card has 50 responses I do shy away. At the same time, if a card has 0 replies I usually will make an extra point to be specific about what I like and let the artist know with a comment.

I just have to add.... when I post new art in my gallery and see that 150 visited and 2 left comments .... I wonder what the other 148 visitors thought- don't you?

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithful
I feel like it is the very least I can do is enter a comment when I like a card enough to save it to my faves ..... but it takes way too long to download (or whatever it does) and then sometimes it does not even record what I have typed (it ends up as something like

).

It ends up that I don't comment half as often as I would like too.

Sometimes I'll post a comment, and it seems to take forever. When this happens, I just click again on "post a comment". Then, I usually get a quick new box stating that I have a duplicate comment so it won't be posted. I don't know why that comes up so quickly and the original comment doesn't, but it works like a charm. I usually go back to check, and sure enough, my comment is there. I don't remember seeing the

, but I might just not be observant.
So, try clicking again on post a comment. It's worth a try!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I opened my gallery a few weeks ago, I was elated to see that anyone found my stuff interesting enough to even take a look. When I get a comment posted it is icing on the cake, but my feelings aren't hurt if people just stopped by to take a peek. If I posted a comment on every card that caught my interest, I'd be at this keyboard 24/7/365 and headed for divorce court. If I see a card that catches my eye and has no comments, I am trying to make myself slow down and take the time to let the poster know what I liked about their card. The only problem is, the more comments I make, the less cards I have time to view--what's an SCS addict to do????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2
Okay, but what happens if you get a closer look and you don't like anything about the card? Do you make something up? Or do you make yourself find something to like?

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Comments...

Im finding that the more you comment on cards, the more you get on your own!!! I like to comment on all the challenge cards cuz thats where all the regulars are and they usually comment on my stuff! Hopefully they truly like my stuff cuz I trully like theres! I usually find something I like out of each card even if its just the saying or the bg or something real small! Everyone appreciates the comments!

My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #23  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I definitely comment if I save it into my faves.

I usually don't comment if there are already a lot of commentss. I'm more likely to comment if there are few other comments.

Sometimes I'm doing the slideshow - I guess that counts as viewing - but I don't stop it to comment if I'm browsing quick like that.

I don't care if someone just says "Very pretty!" Just the fact that they took the time for two words still makes me feel all warm inside. (Okay, I'm a sucker.) I know people are busy and I don't need anything elaborate!

I don't care about how many comments in relation to views either, I figure other people might be doing the slideshows too.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say sometimes..one thing I have started doing is when I feel the urge to eat, I got leave some praise instead!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

My feeling is if I took the time to open it then I have time to comment on it. I know there is a reason that I wanted to look closer at the card and sometimes when I click on it there is even more of a WOW!

I always love when people leave comments on my cards. It really encourages me to be more creative or to try different things especially when I thing the card is just blah and someone finds something about it that they like.

When I do a challenge I do try to post to others that have done the challenge because I know that they will look at mine and since I now know how to use the search button it is much easier.

I have been bad this past week and haven't been commenting as much as would like to or usually do (a lot of excitement around the house) and I think I am still trying to recover from VSN. Bad excuse I know, but I am glad I pulled up this thread because it is a great reminderfor me to "stop and smell the roses".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I do leave comments, but not often. I actually haven't been to the gallery very much lately. Like you, I'll post something if a card or other item really grabs me with an unusual color combination or an out of the box use for a stamp or accessory. I also try to say something specific instead of just writing "nice card" or "very pretty" because IMO that does nothing to tell the person just what was good about the design.
I need to do that more!

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by twink62
I comment on the cards that I open up to look at. It is only fair to do that I think.

I do the same..It is only fair....If a card has gotten my attention that much to open it up...I will leave a comment....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #28  
PAPER SCAPER

I leave comments often, I try to comment on all the cards in the challenge I join in on. I may leave a small comment like super cute, awesome card etc but it's much better than leaving nothing and sometimes those short comments is what time allows for me especially if the gallery is busy and running slow.
I don't mind getting a short comment because I know the person at least liked the card enough to make an effort. I do think a lot of new artist here at SCS get over looked and they need encouragement just as much as the well known names.
Personally I think if you take ideas from the gallery you should give back by making some comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 06:09 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

When time permits I like to participate in the challenges and do tend to look at the other challenge cards a lot and will comment on them - I will comment if I really like someone's interpretation of a sketch for example. The gallery tends to run quite slow for me and posting comments takes a long time so outside of the challenges I only tend to comment on cards I save to my favourites. That said while I was browsing todays uploads I came across a card that grabbed my attention that no one had commented on so I left one for them

Pootle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 06:31 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I love to leave comments in the gallery. But I don't get too as much as I want too. I have dial-up and sometimes it's so slow I just can't do more than 1-2. I know how I feel receiving them, so I need to try harder!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I sometimes leave comments especially if I think the item is great but not if it seems only so-so. Also, my computer is not real fast and it takes a lot of time to reply. I usually only have time to look at some of the entries and not all. I have a home and family AND I need to take time to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edited: I just reread my post and it didn't come out quite the way I intended it. A card can be great and it doesn't click for me. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it! We just find different things appealing. In that case I move on to the next card.

Last edited by greetingsbydebra; 02-16-2006 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #33  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by twink62
I agree! Although sometimes I don't comment on the DD designs :oops: because if they've already got, like 58 comments, I feel my extra "great job!" is a little pointless.

And yes, I do sometimes leave bland comments like "nice card" because I think any praise is worth having and I try not to repeat what others have said, which usually leaves me struggling for anything more creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I always comment on those that I link to to see up close. I think it's only proper. Each person works hard to come up with something creative and then posts it to share. For some that's a big step. I believe we all need some pats on our back and the wonderful comments you all leave can really pick someone up and make their day.

It's hard to see all the wonderful stuff in the gallery as time is limited, but I know when I get a chance, I'm always in awe. I walk away feeling inspired by all.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I comment on the ones that catch my eye for one reason or another. There are just far too many wonderful cards in the gallery to comment on every one I see and still have time left to make my own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,169 Likes on 502 Posts

yes, If I look it I do. And if konw them I do. BUt have been the gallery much!
Hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I usually leave a comment if I open it up - unless my computer is being real slow. There are so many great cards on this site - thanks to everyone for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes, and only when time permits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

I generally leave comments on those I save to My Favorites. Last week and this week I didn't because VSN and the amounts of cards in the gallery. Since I'm a scrapbooker first, I tend to comment more on pages than cards.

Taryn

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
I I do think a lot of new artist here at SCS get over looked and they need encouragement just as much as the well known names.
Personally I think if you take ideas from the gallery you should give back by making some comments.
amen sister!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes