Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Coluzzle cutting mat

Has anyone here found a good replacement for the discontinued Coluzzle cutting mat?  Mine is nearly unusable after these many years. Every discussion I have found is so old that the suggestions are where to buy the real thing, but those are no longer available.

Thanks to the thread on this site, I was able to replace my old Coluzzle cutting knife.  The HobbyLobby branded one works perfectly.  Now I just need a surface to work on.  Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Coluzzle has sat unloved for a long time I’m afraid... since I have circle and oval dies. I never use it anymore. Good for you to still be coluzzle strong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I still use my  Coluzzle for making letters but I can't remember where I got my mat.  It is white an self healing.  I don't even think it is a real mat just a flat piece that came around something in a box but it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2020, 04:48 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually used by Coluzzle for the first time in years the other day. I remember thinking, before things like the Cricut and other machines came out, how amazing it was!

Would some other kind of self healing mat work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2020, 05:18 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

If I'm remembering correctly, the mat was like thick, dense packing foam. Maybe a shipping service like UPS or PostNet would have something similar. Another option would be to check places that regularly ship or receive heavier items (like auto parts) that need the heavier foam and see if they have any they could just give to you rather than throwing it out. You could also follow duranfan's suggestion and try an actual self-healing mat rather than the foam.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes, it's the cellulose packing foam.  I've saved several pieces from packages "just in case."  You can find it on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Thank you!

I'm thrilled with the feedback!  I tried my usual self-healing cutting mat that I use for most everything - mainly cutting card stock with my Exacto.  While I was able to use the Coluzzle die and swivel knife with it, it took an extreme amount of pressure to get the knife to swivel on such a hard surface.  I moved on to trying some foam packing material I have, and it worked also, only it also cut the shape from the foam.  Third try, I showed my crafty daughter a scrap of the mat, and she was able to give me a 5x7 sheet that seems just like the orginal.

Scrapjanny - cellulose!  Yes, that sounds like the perfect description for what I am looking for.  All I could think of was Styrofoam, and that is generally too thick and too crumbly.  Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This works!

I hope this answer doesn’t show up more than once because I’ve answered it more than once but I keep hitting the wrong button. I have air purifiers and they require a black type of foam filter in the back. The ones I have you can get on Amazon and they are the Veva brand for the guardian air purifier. This brand is a knock off from the Guardian brand filters which cost a fortune. This is a six pack and they cost $14.99. I just happened to see them in the garage and thought they might work. They do! I love my coluzzle and I’m so glad I figured this out. Thanks to everybody and good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbysGrammyView Post
I still use my Coluzzle for making letters but I can't remember where I got my mat. It is white an self healing. I don't even think it is a real mat just a flat piece that came around something in a box but it works great.
I also still use my Coluzzle on occasion and my poor mat bit the dust years ago. I noticed some packing material that looked just like that old mat when I opened up a box of something that I ordered. It worked perfectly. I read somewhere else that a thin packing material that you wrap around stuff to protect it when you store or ship it can work. My mom used to own a gift shop and she had rolls of that stuff around. Wish I had kept it when she passed away!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardCountessView Post
Has anyone here found a good replacement for the discontinued Coluzzle cutting mat? Mine is nearly unusable after these many years. Every discussion I have found is so old that the suggestions are where to buy the real thing, but those are no longer available.

Thanks to the thread on this site, I was able to replace my old Coluzzle cutting knife. The HobbyLobby branded one works perfectly. Now I just need a surface to work on. Thanks!
Oh, thanks for mentioning that Hobby Lobby swivel knives work with the Coluzzle templates too. I only have one lonely old Coluzzle knife and would have a fit if I lost it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Change of tune

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

Oh, thanks for mentioning that Hobby Lobby swivel knives work with the Coluzzle templates too. I only have one lonely old Coluzzle knife and would have a fit if I lost it!
my Hobby Lobby swivel knife broke after just several uses. I used the replacement blade and it broke too. For the last months I have been using the Fiskars Fingertip Swivel knife. There was a little bit of a learning curve, but I am comfortable with it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardCountessView Post

my Hobby Lobby swivel knife broke after just several uses. I used the replacement blade and it broke too. For the last months I have been using the Fiskars Fingertip Swivel knife. There was a little bit of a learning curve, but I am comfortable with it now.
Oh no, that sounds terrible. The Coluzzle knife is practically indestructible so that's too bad the Hobby Lobby version isn't the same. It took me along time to get the hang of the Coluzzle knife. A friend gave it to me, along with some templates, after she realized she didn't like using it. She misplaced the knife somewhere in her craft room, but fortunately, someone had given me an old one. I keep hoping my friend will eventually unearth her old Coluzzle knife but it's been several years and nothing yet.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I forgot all about the coluzzle. I think I have several brand new mats and blades. Just need to find where I stashed it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I have a virtually brand new coluzzle mat and knife if anyone wants them -just postage required from UK. Never really got on with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 05:25 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Gave mine to my sister when I got my Cuttlebug and dies. She uses it to cut her photos to make cards. I bet I have some of that packing foam, though. I'll have to ask her if she needs a replacement pad. Thanks, everyone, for your quick answers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 05:51 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Uline carries these - Uline Foam Roll - 1⁄4", 12" x 85', Perforated - for 35.00. Not sure if they would work or not but you would get 85 12 x 12 mats
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I still use all my Coluzzles frequently. I bought up some exacto and Fiskar swivel blades the second I heard Coluzzle was discontinued, also several of the foam sheets. BUT after years, I am still using my original sheet because I followed someone's advice to tape the sheet to a piece of heavy chipboard (like the backing of a stenographer's pad, so thick it doesn't bend). I believe this literally has kept my foam sheet intact much longer. God willing I will never quit using my Coluzzles. I saw the cellulose sheets on amazon and believe if you tape or glue a few together and then tape that to a stiff chipboard piece, you'll be in business! XOX
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
I still use all my Coluzzles frequently. I bought up some exacto and Fiskar swivel blades the second I heard Coluzzle was discontinued, also several of the foam sheets. BUT after years, I am still using my original sheet because I followed someone's advice to tape the sheet to a piece of heavy chipboard (like the backing of a stenographer's pad, so thick it doesn't bend). I believe this literally has kept my foam sheet intact much longer. God willing I will never quit using my Coluzzles. I saw the cellulose sheets on amazon and believe if you tape or glue a few together and then tape that to a stiff chipboard piece, you'll be in business! XOX
Thanks for the tip about taping the sheet to thin cardboard. I can see how it will last longer if it has a little bit of protection from tearing. I bought Coluzzle spare blades when I heard they were discontinuing, so I'm set so far.
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 02-27-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a piece of heavy glass instead of the foam. Foam wore out too fast. I haven't had any trouble with it for 7 or 8 years!!!
Reply With Quote Likes