Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I started on the original stop spending thread and all it did was make me want to buy so I opted out of the thread. However, I did not go back to my original spending.

Almost all the stamps and dies I've bought this year have been used in my classes.

I only go to Michael's, JoAnn's, & LSS if I need something.

I have bought only a quarter of the paper I used to buy. Most paper purchases were tied directly to a class and only repurchased colors when I needed them for a class.

I sold off retired stamps I knew I'd never use again.

I have bought more big shot dies and embossing folders but again these have all been used in a class. When I buy a die, I factor it into the class cost so the class is actually paying for the die.

Where I've spent money this year is making sure I have refills for all my stamp pads and copics and I only added 15 new copic colors.

I've been using up supplies, paper, and embellishments and I don't replace them. It feels good to be using up what I have.
That's awesome! I think that is the purpose of the threads, to get us thinking about our spending and just being wiser. I think we are all doing a great job!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #82  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts

Well, I'm doing a lot better than I used to. Kind of bummed after looking at how much we owe this year. Had vet bills and had to replace our heating/air unit. But it feels nice to not have to worry about the heating/air going on in the coldest part of winter. We used it as long as we could, and got all we could out of it. It lasted twenty years. Can't ask for more than that. I just hate owing money. We saved for a big chunk of it, but they are so expensive, and I won't even go into how expensive vet bills can get. But I have cut way back on frivalous spending, so that helps. I just have to control my spending for Christmas. It'll be a little skimpier, but we only buy for kids now anyway! Thanks for continuing this thread; I have to stay focused!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #83  
Rubber Obsessor

Since I've stopped my generaous scrapbook spending, it has been so nice to have a few $$ left in the checkbook before the next pay day. I always managed to pay the cc bill, but some months I had to be creative!;) So that is a definite plus this cold turkey thread has helped me with. I'm following the getting organized webinars at Thescraprack.com and am really trying to get my stuff organized. It can be a real eye-opener when you get it all in one place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #84  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd run out of adhesives pretty fast since I do a massive project every so often.

I try not to get a new stamp set or tool unless I know exactly what I'm using it for...not for just because or I like it.

And until my sis-in-law moves away, we share craft tools. We know who has what punch, stamp set and tool each other has.

I still don't know why I keep buying paper when I need to use what I have, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #85  
Mad Swapper

sdscrapper,
I checked out TheScrapRack Organization for the Scrapbooker and it is amazing! While I can't afford to purchase the system, just knowing her categories will be a HUGE help in organization. And, I love the whole color category. As a huge fan of ROYGBIV, I can't believe I haven't thought to use it as a sorting tool for my scrapbook supplies. I have my paper sorted that way, but that's all. Now I can do EVERYTHING by color and find it easier. I'm going to start sorting today. Thanks so much for this very helpful site.

I continue to do very well at not spending, but did relapse yesterday because Joann's website is offering 40% off scrapbooking and no shipping fees. But I kept it under $25!

I really appreciate reading about everyone's ideas and "struggles" to...LOL...stop the madness. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

paper - ohhhhhh that is a real weakness for me. I have so much paper I wont' need to buy any for 15 years and I'm not exaggerating. And scraps? It pains me to toss a scrap in the trash! Just in using scraps, it wil take mem awhile before I really need to cut into a whole piece of paper for lots of things! But we live and learn. And I'm learning that I don't need everything new tool or paper line they come out with! Really, I don't!
I think I will do some work this weekend on sorting some of that precious paper into the theme, calendar and rainbow that she suggests - oh and the letters, numbers, thing - another good section. I can't justify getting the scraprack right now, but I hope that in the future, it might make its way to my home. But realistically, I need to use up some stuff first. I'm shooting for my ultimate organizing goal (besides being able to find things) as getting rid of my paper racks . . . . . . it's a process, but kind of exciting to work on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #87  
Mad Swapper

Wow...where is everybody? Surely not out spending money? heehee......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #88  
Hardware Hotshot

OMG I fell off the wagon so long ago that the wagon is not even it sight anymore.
I decided to forgive myself and try again next year LOL

The Copic pending increase in August and the new Spellbinder dies were my weaknesses
I went overboard on both and I am not sorry LOL

I am really really really going to give it a better effort in 2012!!

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-17-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #89  
Hardware Hotshot

Are we going to try this thread again in 2012?? I would like to do that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #90  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

PLEASE don't stop this thread. I have learned much from so many and am definitely doing things differently in my life as a result of that. It is wonderful to use thing up that I already have and so freeing to realize I don't have to use those coupons. I can say "NO" to myself till it is something that is really NEEDED.

I hope this thread continues because there is more for me to learn from all of you. Have I done it perfect - NO but am I willing to stay on this journey of discipline - YES!

Thanks to each of you who have been involved. You're a great group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd love to see a new 2012 thread started for newbies to the thread (like me!)
I thought about joining in here, but saw the "mid-year review" and felt like I showed up too late. What does everyone else think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #92  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW ... I recently registered for the upcoming ScrapRack "Get Organized in 2012" Webinar. It's free! http://thescraprack.easystorecreator...lenge-2012.asp

And I also joined ScrapRack's organization Facebook site (even though it says 2011 it's for 2012, too. At least I think so. LOL) If you join and you see me there, say "hi".

BTW ... I don't own a ScrapRack. I have a couple friends who have and swear by them. I'm not so sure it would work for me. It takes up more table space than I have to spare. But I do love the idea of organizing by Alpha-Numeric, Rainbow, Theme and Calendar! I just finished organizing my paper last night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #93  
Glitter Guru

I've been a BAD girl! LOL! I see a desire to start afresh in the new year also! I bought myself a few Christmas presents. But I have to admit, they were awesome deals; I would never find them at that price ever again, and I've been using them already.
I think I haven't posted due to my shame. :p Seriously though, I'll have to tighten up the belt again after the holidays! It's a constant struggle for me, so these posts are SOOOO helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #94  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does it count that I usually walk in and out of our Joanns and Michaels with out buying one single thing, even if I have coupons? I also cut WAY back on ordering stuff to about 4 times a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #95  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
Does it count that I usually walk in and out of our Joanns and Michaels with out buying one single thing, even if I have coupons? I also cut WAY back on ordering stuff to about 4 times a year.
Yes that definitely counts!!
Some wanted to just stop buying altogether and use what they had. Others wanted to spend more responsibly . Looks like you have been spending more responsibly .

That is my goal, not to stop all buying
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #96  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Cindy in Oregon - wow, that sure does count! Shows discipline and commitment. Hope this thread continues. My buying habits have improved a lot since finding this thread. It wasn't not buying at all for me, but being wise and responsible like Barbara Jay said. I'm looking forward to the new year and tracking myself like some have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #97  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an interesting and hopefully article I saw on CNN today regarding spending/shopping as a compulsion or hobby. Other than the woman buying beads for making jewelry that sat unused, no reference to crafting specifically, but the ideas should relate.

Compulsive shopping: When spending is like substance abuse - CNN.com

I think some of the tips are useful - don't buy anything without waiting at least 24 hours first, ignore the "rush before it's sold out at this great deal" sales around the holidays, think about why you buy stuff (what mindset you're in or what need you're trying to fill), and track your spending if money is going into a black hole so you know what you spent it on (sometimes a sobering thought when you add up the totals).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #98  
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! Just "found" this thread. OMG do I ever need to quit spending so much on crafting! I have a drawer full of things I've bought and never used and keep buying! If I were to set a goal it would be to not buy anything for the first half of 2012 with the exception of adhesives but it won't work out that way. A friend is a SU hobby demo and I'm committed to help her maintain her minimums each quarter to help keep her stay active. She has two other friends who are helping which makes my share $75 per quarter or $25 per month. I also joined a Stamper's Club for a social/learning outlet and will have to place 3 $25 orders in the first half of 2012. That's a total of $225 on crafting items I really don't need! I think if nothing else I need to make a commitment to stay out of the local craft stores coupon or no coupon to keep my spending down to my "have to's" and not recommit to another stamper's club when this club commitment ends in May.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #99  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
That is AWESOME!
I think I might start a Saving Journal and give myself credit for when I do save. I tend to be a compulsive type person, so I do better if I can make a reasonablel goal. I think I'm going to write down how I've saved money. For example, read on a thread here about making your own glue to seal envies. That saves me money by keeping me from buying Scor-tape or on regular envelopes, and I already had the vinegar and glue, so $0 extra dollars spent, and I can figure what it would have cost to buy them and give myself a visual credit. I nickle and dime a lot, and it adds up. So hopefully, that can help me see how small amounts add up to large amounts spent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #100  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Here's an interesting and hopefully article I saw on CNN today regarding spending/shopping as a compulsion or hobby. Other than the woman buying beads for making jewelry that sat unused, no reference to crafting specifically, but the ideas should relate.

Compulsive shopping: When spending is like substance abuse - CNN.com

I think some of the tips are useful - don't buy anything without waiting at least 24 hours first, ignore the "rush before it's sold out at this great deal" sales around the holidays, think about why you buy stuff (what mindset you're in or what need you're trying to fill), and track your spending if money is going into a black hole so you know what you spent it on (sometimes a sobering thought when you add up the totals).
Thanks for sharing this! I like the idea of writing down purchases to track spending and the waiting 24 hours. A lot of times if I wait, I can find something I already have that will work just as well, not in all cases, but in most! Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #101  
Rubber Obsessor

Are we going to start a new thread like this for 2013? I'm in. This time, I think I'm really in (meaning, I'm serious!). ANybody want to join me in 2013?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
Are we going to start a new thread like this for 2013? I'm in. This time, I think I'm really in (meaning, I'm serious!). ANybody want to join me in 2013?
I'm in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #103  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in. I don't need to go cold turkey yet, but setting a budget and keeping track of all my crafty spending would be a very good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #104  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in. Started a Christmas acct at bank last week. Remember saving as a kid? I will use the money for supplies I need next holiday season. Also I bought a clear plastic bank, for change after breaking a dollar. This bank fund will have to be what I spend. And I will only take cash with me when I shop. I will make do with supplies I have and use the internet to learn to stretch my supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #105  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

I will commit again. Didn't keep up with it this year, but in 2011 it did make a difference for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #106  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm in for sure. This last year I did pretty good...but a goal for 2013 is really concentrating on using what I already have (which is way too much).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this where we are tracking 2013 or is there a different thread?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #108  
Rubber Obsessor

I started a new thread for 2013. Please join in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #109  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Where is the new thread located?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #110  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Oops, guess this is it. Just noticed there are only three pages. Thanks for starting again. I'm in for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSCView Post
Oops, guess this is it. Just noticed there are only three pages. Thanks for starting again. I'm in for sure!
This is NOT the Cold Turkey 2013 thread, You needed to look 6 listing down from here and it is Called "Cold Turkey 2013"

Cold Turkey - 2013 by sdscrapper at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

Barbara Joy - thanks for putting the new thread in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #113  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Barbara Jay for directing me to the 2013 thread. I found it and am in. I'm inspired - new beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes