Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #1  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clamshell uses?

I notice on the BST boards the empty clamshells get snatched up rather quickly. What are you all doing with them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know too. I have LOTS of them, sitting empty because I am unmountinmg all my SU! stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #3  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I know my Mom uses some of her extras for doing the marbling technique. No mess all over the table or ink on everything since it is all contained.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #4  
neglecting the kids and housework

I'm not unmounted but the ones I get with my background stamps I put my CB folders in them. ANother I have odd packs of brads and such in it. I use them to hold pieces to cards that I'm working on if I need to move from here to there. I should make one with all the adhesives I need at once. That would be handy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I use them for glitter and embossing powers. I keep a sponge moistened with water and a little dishwashing detergent in one to clean my stamps while stamping. I store finished cards in them. I use them to store non-SU wooden stamps. I have LOTS of uses for them as you can see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

They are great to store other wood mounted stamps so that you can stack them. However, now that I have mostly gone unmounted, I second Victoria's response. I have used mine to organize my paper scraps, die cut shapes, dies, buttons, glitter, markers, paint daubers, card projects, .... seriously I could keep going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use mine to store all the flowers I've been making. I sort them by colour, so this way I can see what colour is in each container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I use 'em to store my dewdrop stamp pads. You can easily fit up to 9 dewdrops in the medium-ish cases and then they're easy to stack on the shelf

Also, like others here, use them for finished cards, unfinished bits of projects . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I use mine for storing opened packets of things - like chipboard alphas, or chipboard shapes.
I also have extra letters/numbers stored in them from my alpha dies - when I change my mind about a colour or title and I have already cut them out
I have flowers in them - from various packets opened, and the leftovers

I do like the idea of using them for dewdrops.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #10  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

so mostly storage, I was thinking someone was altering them into neat projects. I guess I will keep mine around and start storing little things in them. I like the precut alpha idea, I am always throwing away alpha pieces that cut when I need a letter.
thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, LOVE the clamshells! I have all my scraps in them, divided by color. All my refills, all my cartridges, even the jumbo ones fit in there.

But the thing most of my customers use their extras for is for making purses. Just use your Crop A Dile to punch holes to insert a ribbon handle. You can line them with DSP and then the purse will stay nice because the plastic protects it. The ones that hold background stamps are the best because they fit envelopes as well. You can get a LOT of cards in the purses, depending of course on how thick your cards are. I have pictures on my blog if you look under 3-D items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #12  

I use them to replace mine when my cases are dented or damages. I also use them to store things in them. I really like the divided ones for storing my wheel ink cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Location: New Jersey....but born and raised in TEXAS originally.
Default clamshell uses

I dont have extra clamshells because I dont unmount my stamps.

However,

I actually buy clamshells to store the misc. stamps I buy......and would love to buy any that anyone has if they are interested in selling.

I also use my bought clamshells for storing what unmounted stamps I have bought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Storage! Not just stamping storage, but things in general. Here are a FEW of the things I use the clamshells for:

The smallest one:
*to store a set of micro-point Sharpie markers (the kind that are small enough to fit on a keychain).
*to store the cords (charger, headset) for my cell phone.
*to store spare flash drives and the adaptors you use to make your teensy smart cards from your camera or cell phone fit into the media drives of your computer.
*to store die cuts I made on my Big Shot and from my paper punches.
*to store my limited supply of sponge daubers.

Medium sized ones:
*to store foam make up wedges and binder clips that I now use in the place of sponge daubers.
*to store miscellaneous gel pens I have acquired (jelly roll, sparkle, etc.).
*to store brass stencils

Large one:
*to store stipple brushes and other brushes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccboobooView Post
They are great to store other wood mounted stamps so that you can stack them. However, now that I have mostly gone unmounted, I second Victoria's response. I have used mine to organize my paper scraps, die cut shapes, dies, buttons, glitter, markers, paint daubers, card projects, .... seriously I could keep going on.
oooo I never thought of storing my other wood mounted in there. Great idea! I only have three that held background stamps. I bought DVD cases for them and didn't mount them on the wood, so I had a few clamshells left. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #16  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I put cards in my desk at work cards in my DH desk at work. They hold the markers perfectly, hold lots of things around the stamp room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a lot of them after unmounting my sets.

I use them to store my stickles, pens, pencils, markers, and other tools. I took my ribbons off the spools and keep them in clamshell cases sorted by colors. I also sorted my embellishments by color & store those in clamshell cases. I made my own ink spots & keep those in the cases; also my small ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh Thank You, blueheron!!

I had been using mine for many of the things mentioned -- my stampin spots storage (I have multiple sclerosis and the full size stamp pads tend to get dropped or can't get the proper pressure for proper ink coverage.) I also keep my addional SU markers that were purchased after my color group sets and white gel pen in one. I keep die cuts in a couple. I keep my daubers in one. I keep ribbon scraps (up to 10") in one. I keep dazzling diamonds ep in one so can just "dip" in the piece to be embossed, shake off, and no mess.

BUT the idea for the cell phone charger struck me as great! Had been using a ziploc sandwich bag -- and replacing it when the prongs poked holes in the bag...or when the cat decided to make a few tooth holes too. Hurried to grab a small on and try the tip out. Perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I store all my Michaels $1.00 stamps in them by category. I also store my cats eyes and other small pads in them. They are great for this.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Like Lyssa was saying, I use my smaller ones (the smallest and second to smallest sizes that individual or small sets come in) to make little purse gift card/money holders. Perfect for both big and little girls because its just another cute little thing they are getting besides the gift card. I have had people tell me they then use them to store change in in their car so its in a cute container, one puts her small earrings & rings in it.

The bigger sizes are great to use for card holders. If you give cards, these are easy to decorate the front of and wrap a pretty ribbon around it (or I usually make a belly band and throw a tag on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #21  

I forgot to mention that if you can get your hands on them, the old alphabet clamshells with the ridges built in are totally awesome for storing sponge quarters. I don't think they make those anymore, but you'd only need one or two.

Love these... a friend just gave me twenty all the same size--it's like Christmas! : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Oh, LOVE the clamshells! I have all my scraps in them, divided by color. All my refills, all my cartridges, even the jumbo ones fit in there.

But the thing most of my customers use their extras for is for making purses. Just use your Crop A Dile to punch holes to insert a ribbon handle. You can line them with DSP and then the purse will stay nice because the plastic protects it. The ones that hold background stamps are the best because they fit envelopes as well. You can get a LOT of cards in the purses, depending of course on how thick your cards are. I have pictures on my blog if you look under 3-D items.
Any chance you could give us a direct link? I looked and looked under "3-D objects" and couldn't find your project!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #23  

Quote:

I forgot to mention that if you can get your hands on them, the old alphabet clamshells with the ridges built in are totally awesome for storing sponge quarters. I don't think they make those anymore, but you'd only need one or two.

Love these... a friend just gave me twenty all the same size--it's like Christmas! : )
I did mention this before, but in case anyone missed this. Those alphabet cases are great for storing the wheel ink cartridges too and then you don't have to worry about them leaking because they are stored in the plastic container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

This forum has been great with ideas to get me to think through how I store my things. I have to laugh because I use the white plastic eclair containers-without the lid on- for my ink refills, glimmer mists, dabbers...you name it. I write on the outside what's in them and have many for different uses. My shelving is white so they fit in just fine. I have saved those clam shells but only use them for leftover die cut outs or scraps of paper of projects I made before. If I don't see things I forget about them. Though my art room looks a bit busy or untidy to someone else, I know where everything is and just love my special room. Hubby comes in grinning when I am working and is so happy for me in my little corner of the world. His is in the workshop with grease and loving it, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #25  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

ok I have something better for the sponge and daubers. I use the insert from the Petite Ecolier (spelled wrong) little schoolboy cookies. This justifies me buying and eating boxes of these most awesome and way too expensive cookies. Unfortunately i think i almost have enough.

You guys are really making me regret throwing away the huge box of empties I tossed when I first started unmounting. I have about 200 more sets to go so I think I will be ok. Some really great ideas out there. I have a hard time thinking outside the box (pun intended).

keep your original ideas coming ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #26  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Lyssa i went back to march of last year in 3d and didn't see any clamshell purses. Do you remember an approximate date?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #27  

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
Lyssa i went back to march of last year in 3d and didn't see any clamshell purses. Do you remember an approximate date?
I am really sorry I don't have a link! I am SO MAD at Lijit right now, their stupid search feature for my blog has been returning ZERO results to keywords I KNOW are all over the place on my blog. I can't find anything via search including my Easter projects just from last year. It is super annoying and I have sent some strongly worded emails to them, let me tell you! Unacceptable!!

I will look in my photo files really quick and see if I can find and attach it. I know I took pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Lyssa,

Thanks so much! I can't wait to see how you used the claim shell cases for little purses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #29  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

oh gee I found your easter projects while I was looking for the clamshell project, that is how far back I went LOL! I saw so many great projects. Love perusing blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes