Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by c s douglas
The coloring set idea is great! You could go one step further!
Last weekend, I was showing my daughter the new water color crayons. My 2 1/2 yr. grandaughter wanted to play, too. And I didn't want her breaking my new toys! I colored a few things real light with the wc crayons and gave her a paint brush and water. She couldn't get enough of that painting!
It's like when you buy - or used to buy- those little books that had dots on the pictures and you used water and a paint brush! But you've made it yourself!
OH MAN!!! I love love this idea!!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #42  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvnailart
Im a Nail Technician, I usually make gifts for my clients every year. Last year I made snowman soup gifts. This year I was thinking of candles, but I have 40+ clients. It gets hard to make and store all of these gifts, not to mention the cost to make all of them...
If you have a Big Lots in your area, they frequently have pillar candles for very little money. You could purchase the number you need, stamp some text weight paper and color the impression then afix the picture to the candle with your heat tool.

Some of our grocery stores sell packages of the little matchboxes at seventy-six cents/pkg of 10 boxes. Decorate a box of matches to go with each candle and attach the boxes with a ribbon. Or something.

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made some of these last year and ran out of time so I am making more this year (already have had hints for it) I took the little plastic photo albums (found them at dollar tree and big lots) Put a stamped insert in the front and then shared favorite family recipes from all my sisters. Recipe cards fit nicely in the photo sleeves and they can keep them in the photo book or add them to thier own card file that way. Gave these to some of the young adults who had just married and moved out. But I think I will add more recipes, and give them to all the adult women this year. I am also planning on making some card organizers and card assortment packs to give.

I also made candied nuts and packaged nicely and gave to the guys a few years back, I think I'll do that again. They all loved them and refused to share!
Still contemplating on the rest, hmmmm...... I love the card pack/crayon idea. I think I'll do this and use the WCC idea and add a brush, glue stick and stamped sentiments and make them a create your own card pack. I think some of the little ones will love that, they always beg to stamp with me. oooh, I'll throw in a handmade by stamp and a spot for them to sign the back, I am loving this idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Belinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

I was going to do coasters for all our helpers (50-60!) at our Awana club. However, our Home Depot doesn't sell the Botticino tiles anymore. They said they've discontinued them:( Maybe something with candy?? I have to get thinking now!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Love the idea of the recipe book from a photo album!

I made a few paper pins for my sisters birthday and everyone else in my family wants some now. I guess I will be doing those! But hey, they are cheap and pretty easy to make so that's okay with me.

Handmade cards sets for the moms and grandmas.

A few stamped candles.

A Christmas Carol book. I am getting all of my siblings (6 of them!) and my parents favorite Christmas songs, typing them up on the computer with who's favorite it is under the title and printing them out. I think I might go the easy route with that one and just buy some Christmas computer paper to print on. I am hopefully going to get a Carl Tozicle comb binder in a few weeks for my birthday so I will be able to put those together by Christmas. By the way, the Carl Tozicle comb binders run about $50. I like the Rubicoil but can't quite afford one right now.

Every year I buy calendars at the $ store and fill in everyone's birthday on my sie of the family and give them to all of my sisters and brother. That way they have no excuse to forget my birthday or anniversary (or anyone elses for that matter!!). They love them and say that I better never miss a Christmas!!!

Thanks for everyone sharing their ideas!! Keep them coming!

-Heidi :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #46  
GMC
Kookie Creator

Default Xmas gifts

I make the homemade Gourmet Apples and Pretzels--the ones with the caramel and dipped chocolate and nuts and more chocolate and toffee and more chocolate and more toffee and nuts and more chocolate. The apples end up being huge, as big as big grapefruit sometimes.

I have been making them for years. They are a lot of work, but I have my system down pat now. They make beautiful gifts and when it is all said and done, the apples cost about $5-6 to make--they sell in specialty shops and on the internet for up to and over $30. I package them nicely and put a huge bow or hot glue silk poinsettias or holly on them, and add a handstamped tag and they are a huge hit. I make for family, neighbors and teachers. They make an awesome hostess gift if you go to someone's for dinner and want to take the hostess something that looks like a million bucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 02:03 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Anxioxsly awaiting Keri's homemade biscotti recipe!

GMC, will you kindly post your apple recipe, too???? SOUNDS SO YUMMY!!!

Since I am expecting around the Holidays this year I have to really get crackin'. One year I got Ball jars and made Cowboy Cookies in a Jar. HUGE HIT with everyone who got them! They looked so cool with the layers - I put a baggie of pecans on the outside since not everyone likes them in their cookies and some are allergic to nuts. DH had people at work ASKING HIM if they were going to get one!

Since DH works in an all-guy environment I think I'm going to find a good homemade (meat) rub recipe and hand that out in smaller (jelly-type) jars. If anyone has a good recipe for this, please e-mail it to me!!! This should be quick & easy, right?

Other than that, family will probably get checkbook covers, maybe sets of homemade cards (for the ladies)... dunno what else yet (shrug).

'Looking forward to more ideas on this thread, though... esp. ideas for the guys in our family - always so hard to make anything for....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Send one of those apples my way GMC!!!! Sounds delicious!

-Heidi :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 03:12 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Please share your recipes

All of the recipes sound so yummy.

Please do share!

Thanks
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Default Jar Recipes

You can do a web search...or my favorite recipe site is allrecipes.com. You can type in "jar" and should get a lot of hits. Or for the person looking for a spice rub I'm sure you can find that by searching for rub. This site has people's reviews so you can try ones that are tried and true.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC
I make the homemade Gourmet Apples and Pretzels--the ones with the caramel and dipped chocolate and nuts and more chocolate and toffee and more chocolate and more toffee and nuts and more chocolate. The apples end up being huge, as big as big grapefruit sometimes.

I have been making them for years. They are a lot of work, but I have my system down pat now. They make beautiful gifts and when it is all said and done, the apples cost about $5-6 to make--they sell in specialty shops and on the internet for up to and over $30. I package them nicely and put a huge bow or hot glue silk poinsettias or holly on them, and add a handstamped tag and they are a huge hit. I make for family, neighbors and teachers. They make an awesome hostess gift if you go to someone's for dinner and want to take the hostess something that looks like a million bucks.
OMG!!! I LOVE these apples!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!

And, I don't have an awesome biscotti "recipe" to share, BUT, if you get stuck in a pinch, I cheat by buying biscotti at Costco and dipping them in dark and white chocolate, and I dip dried apricots, too.

I package them up in SU! cello bags, and now with Label Classics Set, I can buy full sheets of sticker paper at office supply store, and it will look even more "Martha" than I dreamed! I'm giddy over the whole thing!

I give these to my neighbors, and my husband's co-workers, and other family friends, my kids' teachers, etc. Always a big hit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default biscotti recipes

Hey Girls...don't want to upstage Kerri in any way...but, here are two biscotti recipes that I got from my Italian neighbor...they are KILLER!

BISCOTTI:

2 cups sugar
1 cup melted butter
1/4 cup anisette liquor
6 eggs
5 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder

Blend sugar and butter. Add anisette. Beat in eggs. Combine flour and powder and add slowly to mixture. Cover and refridgerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

Shape dough to form two long logs on baking stone measuring the length of stone (about 15 inches?) and about 3-4 inches wide. Bake at 375 for 2o minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and let cool only until you can handle. Slide log onto cutting board and cut into 1 inch slices and lay on cut side back onto stone. Continue with both logs. Bake for 5 minutes, flip them over and bake another 5 minutes. YUMMY!

CHOCOLATE DIPPED MOCHA BISCOTTI:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon cocoa
1 Tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon baking powder AND soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Whisk these together.

3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

Whisk these together.

Stir wet ingredients into dry just until moistened. Divide dough in half. Flour hands and shape dough into two flat logs the length of baking stone and about 3 inches wide. Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes. Remove and reduce oven to 300. Let cool ten mins. Slice logs into 1 inch wide cookies and arrange on stone cut side down. Bake 5 minutes on each side.

Melt 1/2 bag of chocolate chips in microwave. Once cookies are cool, dip in chocolate and place on wax paper to harden.

Hope you are able to use these recipes. I've given both as gifts and received raves.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Janet thanks for posting the recipes...life has been really busy here this week!
I had a mini workshop today, I am taking a familys portraits of tomorrow evening, I am doing a real full blown workshop on Wednesday and have a Southern Living At Home party to attend on Thursday!!!(thank god I am just attending)!!!

So thanks for posting the recipes...I will have to try them too!! They sound YUMMY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

These are pics of the framed scrapbook page I've done for one set of Grandparents for Xmas or Grandparents Day...not decided which yet
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas is only 5 months away, what gifts are you going to make this year?-img_2896_edited.jpg   Christmas is only 5 months away, what gifts are you going to make this year?-gpc-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

Smile MMM! Apples!

Dipped apples what a GREAT idea!! I work in a school and teachers get their fair share of mugs, soap, etc. ...but we would fight over a chocolate dipped apple!! Please share your system!!! My son is in Kindergarten and his teacher is a chocolate lover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Musical Christmas! That ROCKS. hehe

I totally love the idea about the favorite christmas caroles. My family is very musical. I think I'm going to take that idea! Thank you very much!!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm new to stamping so I have grand plans. Whether or not they happen is yet to be seen. I'm planning to make erasable memo boards with white tiles, small tile magnets, tile coasters, etched glass vases and possibly white tile clocks. All will be stamped using stamps that go along with the recipient's interest. My friend's husband and sons are fire fighters so I'm going to use Fire Brigade for them. And they will all get handmade cards -- of course.
Wish me luck. At least I still have "plenty" of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:24 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: The avie is my granddaughter & the bike that she races
Default wow

Such great ideas & suggestions. I have already finished an afghan & am working an some ornaments, but still have tons to do. my husband is one of 11 kids so it's a BIG family.
BTW, I love biscotti!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the Journals and Journal Jar I saw in someone's gallery, I'd like to make those for gifts. I found the directions for the Journals but I can't find anything for the Jars. Does anyone have those directions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 07:22 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

how do you make homemade biscotti??
would love to have that recipe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 07:23 AM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

A friend of mine decorated glass jars & made pretty slips of paper & her her kids list a whole bunch of things they loved about the person the gift was for, it was so cute as they are 6 & 4 so some of the things they said were too funny. They did it for 2 Grandmas & they were thrilled to pieces with it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Print Gocco MAchine

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasteen
What is this Gocco machine? I'm curious.

Print Gocco is a Japanese printing machine, about the size of a chunky laptop. In Japan they're really common as there's a tradition of sending hand-made New Year's cards. The process is kind of like a cross between screen printing and rubber stamping. I think gocco means fun and Print Gocco lives up to its name.

You can make your own designs, burn onto a screen and screen print/ serigraph paper, glass, bisqueware, fabric... anything really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I'm making

Card organizers and rolodex albums this year.
Last year I did the small checkbook sized planners and everyone loved them, but they are 2 year planners so I can't do that again.
I also have some of those caddy's you hang on the fridge that holds paper and a pencil. I altered those for gifts before, so may do a few of them for co-workers. They have them at Jo's right now with the school stuff that hangs in lockers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

mini 6x6 scrapbooks!
five page protectors tied together with ribbon, no album required.
our first baby is due in three days and family is going to want pictures of the little guy. i will give them baby pics in the mini scrapbooks i've already made. for some of the relatives, they will get one of these mini 6x6 "brag books" at different times of the year. and then when they have enough, i will get them an actual album to put them all in. i'm going to pre-order pics from an internet site...i think i'm going to need a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929
I like the Journals and Journal Jar I saw in someone's gallery, I'd like to make those for gifts. I found the directions for the Journals but I can't find anything for the Jars. Does anyone have those directions?
http://www.omnicron.com/~fluzby/sist...re/journal.htm

Try that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellanne
how do you make homemade biscotti??
would love to have that recipe

Look at post #52 There are some that sound yummy!
Reply With Quote Likes