Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I love Christmas! This year will be very different as my husband will be deployed at sea and miss it. We will still do everything as usual: tree, gifts, church, dinner, but we will miss him. I'm sending him with hundreds of Christmas cards to hand out to lonely sailors.
(Will post photos of the cards soon, I promise!)
Mary Beth

Wow, prayers for a safe deployment for your husband and thanks for his service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardLadyTooView Post
I have taken some pictures - but my computer is being a brat of late - it is going to be cleaned out this week so as soon as it is done I will start posting pictures of everything - including the invitation, thank you cards and the favors that I made for my great-nephews Baptism - hoping to sneak in a photo of his outfit that I made also.............
Can't wait to see pics!!! Would you be able to post some links when your computer cooperates (technology :rolleyes??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

What are Journal Jars? Do you have a picture? :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I'm doing journal jars for my sisters and their husbands, along with altered composition books for each, with the theme "For My Childrens' Children". I've typed questions that will be cut into strips, then curled (like curling ribbon with scissors). Then each person can pull out a strip, attach it to a page in the book, and answer however they like. I'm going to put everything in a basket for each couple. Those mugs would make a great addition - will have to see if I can find some of those!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing...because I love EVERYTHING Christmas ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

There's got to be more Christmas ideas out there!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

So I have a friend who wanted to make all the gifts for her family. She has wanted to make handbags for years. Fabric, decorated, you know. Well, I said okay, I could do that for a couple of people. Now I need three and she needs - hold on - 10. OMG. I am completely finished with one, almost with two and starting three. I am helping her with hers and they are in various stages of being finished. I also did a beaded bracelet for one friend. I am going on a cruise with my in laws in a couple of weeks (don't ask) and will make a scrapbook for my MIL. I have to say I do love all of your ideas. I will keep stalking the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by suni19View Post
Great ideas ladies!! I'm trying to come up with some items to make too.

I'm planning to make a couple pre-Christmas items...cookie sheet countdown calendars and pillow cases for the grandkids. They are almost 5 and 3 so know they will love both. Both their birthdays are at the end of November so will probably include these as part of their birthday gifts. That way they have all month to enjoy their pillowcases and can start the countdown calendar on December 1st. Depending on money and fabric I may try to find some winter type fabric for an extra pillowcase too.

Other ideas I'm planning to do:

Name frames ~ these are new to me and I think everyone will love them!

Notecards/tin for daughters and daughter in-law to be.

Some type of Christmas ornament for everyone.

I will be watching this thread for more ideas!! Thanks ladies!!

Tammy
I love all the ideas on this thread! So glad I came by tonight as I was just nagging myself for not having a list together for gifts to make. DH and I are making an Ikea run tomorrow and I want to know what kinds of things I need to pick up (jars, etc).

For the highlighted item above: What are the Name Frames? This sounds like a great idea but I can't picture them in my mind. lol (Blonde moment) Anyone have any photos or links?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

This idea I used for a wedding shower for each of our 2 daughters, but it could easily be a Christmas gift idea, too. I bought a recipe box and then made recipe cards and type of recipe dividers (main dishes, desserts, however you want to divide). I then sent a recipe card along with a letter of explanation as to what I was doing to members of our daughters and their husbands-to-be's family members and good friends. I asked them to handwrite one of their favorite recipes and then mail it back to me. I assembled the box with all the wonderful recipes (in each person's handwriting) and gave them to our daughters when it was each of their showers.
They were so thrilled! Everyone seemed to think it was a great idea. Since then my Mom and Grandmother have passed away and it's really an awesome keepsake for our girls to have recipes in their handwriting.
You could do this with family members, neighborhood group, child's classmates for a teacher, etc.
Pretty inexpensive and alot of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Sophia...you can find the name frames under the Anything but a card gallery...then go to the framed art section. I think these have been popular for the last couple years.

Basically you stamp the person's name...some people used shaped tags, some just rectangles or squares. Then you can decorate, add bling and embellishments...etc. to personalize it.

I've seen some for new baby's, some using the family name for a housewarming gift...really the possibilities are endless. Our kids (all grown) have problems finding their names on items so thought these would make great presents for Christmas. I bought black frames at walmart...think they are about a size 4x12...you could do them any size though.

A couple other items I'm hoping to do are the post-it-note holders on the acrylic frames. You can personalize these with a theme or name too. I also want to make some of the cookie sheet calendars. You could do Christmas countdown or just a regular year round calendar. You put magnets on the dates and such and they are stored on the back side of the cookie sheet. I'm hoping to do a year one and have special numbers for certain months...like Halloween and Christmas.

Love the recipes and box ideas Loretia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Finally got a chance to upload my Christmas cards!!! Here they are

My mom, sister and I went Christmas shopping this morning, and we're going out again tonight - I love love LOVE this time of year!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Oh, I love your Christmas card! The pearls and embossing are gorgeous! I have that same angel stamp, so now at least, I have an idea of how it will look on a card or scrapbook page. I was thinking about doing mine in sparkling embossing powder, but not sure. Your card is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Oh, I love your Christmas card! The pearls and embossing are gorgeous! I have that same angel stamp, so now at least, I have an idea of how it will look on a card or scrapbook page. I was thinking about doing mine in sparkling embossing powder, but not sure. Your card is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it!:-D
Thanks so much for your kind comment!!! I actually used EP on my card, but I guess it didn't show up too well in the picture :rolleyes: Hope you have fun with your stamp - it's one of my favorites!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Default snow flakes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
What a great idea! And I can see why you would want the cardstock backing. It would be a limp snowflake without it.
I save the white cardboard from tights packages and any other white , fairly stiff stuff and cut snowflakes out of that. I made some snowflakes garlands last year and used PTI twine to tie them together. They were so pretty and can be used again this year. Very Martha-looking! I will make some to send to my kids away from home. I may need to break down and buy some white cardboard for all of those garlands!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I save the white cardboard from tights packages and any other white , fairly stiff stuff and cut snowflakes out of that. I made some snowflakes garlands last year and used PTI twine to tie them together. They were so pretty and can be used again this year. Very Martha-looking! I will make some to send to my kids away from home. I may need to break down and buy some white cardboard for all of those garlands!

Jutta
Oh these sound so CUTE!!!!! Do you happen to have any pictures of the garlands? I told my mom about them, and she is very interested
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Default snowflakes

Oh, Rebekah! I am digitally pathetic! I'm lousy at posting pictures and I realized I had not taken any pictures of the garland anyway.

I used the large snowflake die from SU! and it is WONDERFUL! So worth the price! I cut out many snowflakes and would use the twine to string them on. It's so simple; the design of the snowflake has open places in it. Just thread the twine or crochet cotton or whatever you want to use through the open spaces in the design. You can put them as close together or asa far apart as you prefer. You could run them through the Xyron and glitter them also, but for as many as I made, it was too much trouble, plus, it gets messy when you make it and when you hang them.

I was think ing of making metal ones this year. I found an aluminum oven liner pan at WM several years ago and it was great for punching out metal embellishments for scrapbooking. That was before I bought my CB! I'll bet the snowflakes would look good made out of that. I looked to see if I had any left so I could tell you about it, but I didn't have a large enough piece left. You could use any heavy aluminum fom roll pans, or whatever. I just cut out two from a piece of double sided silver/gold cardboard that I had saved from some packaging. they are so pretty, and since they are double sided, I think I will use them on the tree.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by suni19View Post
Sophia...you can find the name frames under the Anything but a card gallery...then go to the framed art section. I think these have been popular for the last couple years.

Basically you stamp the person's name...some people used shaped tags, some just rectangles or squares. Then you can decorate, add bling and embellishments...etc. to personalize it.

I've seen some for new baby's, some using the family name for a housewarming gift...really the possibilities are endless. Our kids (all grown) have problems finding their names on items so thought these would make great presents for Christmas. I bought black frames at walmart...think they are about a size 4x12...you could do them any size though.

A couple other items I'm hoping to do are the post-it-note holders on the acrylic frames. You can personalize these with a theme or name too. I also want to make some of the cookie sheet calendars. You could do Christmas countdown or just a regular year round calendar. You put magnets on the dates and such and they are stored on the back side of the cookie sheet. I'm hoping to do a year one and have special numbers for certain months...like Halloween and Christmas.

Love the recipes and box ideas Loretia!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm making a bunch of "early" Christmas gifts for friends and family. The little Holiday Planner skinny-mini-notebooks and matching pen. Here is a link to Mish Mash's blog showing lots of examples. Scroll down about halfway to see some:

Mish Mash: Notebooks

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile Really easy little Christmas Gift Bags for Gift Card Vouchers

I have never made Gift Bags before, but as most of my family members get a Gift Card Voucher (you know, the ones the size of a Credit card), I finally made a couple of Gift bags for them - and they will look so much better than wrapping the Gift cards in wrapping paper. They are also the perfect size for some lollies or a little present for your child's teacher or a hostess gift. My DD wants to make some for her school friends and once we make the bags, she will draw a little picture for us to attach to the side of the bag.

Honestly - they were dead-easy to make (and I don't like following instructions), and once I made one of the bags as a sample/try-out, I made about 10. The best thing is you can make the bags out of cardstock or designer paper (don't score as hard on the dp or you will tear it) - you can emboss the cardstock or leave it plain - the world is your oyster. You can make them fancy or keep them simple. The instructions for making them are here at the Stamping Videos Blog. There are other Gift bag tutorials here at SCS - just click on Resources at the top RH side menu.

Here are two of my bags: Purple Gift Bag and Snowflakes Gift Bag which I uploaded last night to my Gallery. Have a go at them - they are really fun!

Last edited by JoBear2; 11-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: typed boxes instead of bags
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I got an early start this year - got my cards done in March but still going strong with getting things done!! Made so far: 100 cards, 14 tote bags, 3 scarves, 25 memo note tins, 20 pebble magnets, 7 folio note pad holders and an afghan! - Working on: 12 cocoa holders (need cocoa packets), 45 holiday smores (need the snowman peeps), 2 quilts (the tops are all assembled - working on the hand quilting), 1 afghan and 3 more totes!! Still need to make (have the ideas and supplies) 20 Christmas Eve invitations, 25 cards for work, 20 chocolate/caramel covered pretzel rods, and mine as well throw in a partridge in a pear tree! LOL - thinking I may need another month or so before it arrives!

Plus 24 Pumpkin poop, 25 Thanksgiving Cards, 45 Thanksgiving treats, 12 Ghiradelli chocolate boxes and 12 heart purses for Valentine's Day and have 18 baskets prepped for Easter!!!
Do you sleep--LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Loving all these handmade ideas.... I too am making some christmas gifts... I hope to figure out the camera thing so maybe I can get some pictures uploaded. I have been getting so many ideas here on SCS from all you creative ladies~ thank you so much for sharing links, and templates, and ideas of fun gifts. LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #61  
Embossing Fanatic

I'd love to have a list of the questions you are putting in the journal jar. I LOVE this idea.
It's hard for some to journal and this would give them a jump-start!

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Everyone is SO busy! I've made about half my cards and am making some 'Zindorf' style framed stamp art for DD of winter scenes, I got the frames on sale at Hobby Lobby. (She's going to be moving to TX and will miss winter and snow) I plan on making some other pictures for some friends to. In the past I have made gifts for my brothers (hard to make for guys). I did the tumbled tile coasters with old pictures of family. The best one I did was make a recipe book of ones our mother used to make when we were growing up (I had her recipe file). I added little things on each page...like remember how mom ALWAYS had breakfast for us in the mornings? And sometimes cut oranges with powdered sugar on them? I did a nice stamped cover with a picture of our mom (she had passed away) while making her famous cookies. Then I bound it. My brothers all sat around reading it and present opening stopped completely. One year I did gift baskets with a bottle of wine, homemade biscotti and something else I knew they would like like coffee or something.

I have not clue what I'm going to do this year. Perhaps just a bottle of something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #63  
Embossing Fanatic

Please, what is "Zindorf" style? Sounds very interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Whew! You make me tired!

Quote:

I got an early start this year - got my cards done in March but still going strong with getting things done!! Made so far: 100 cards, 14 tote bags, 3 scarves, 25 memo note tins, 20 pebble magnets, 7 folio note pad holders and an afghan! - Working on: 12 cocoa holders (need cocoa packets), 45 holiday smores (need the snowman peeps), 2 quilts (the tops are all assembled - working on the hand quilting), 1 afghan and 3 more totes!! Still need to make (have the ideas and supplies) 20 Christmas Eve invitations, 25 cards for work, 20 chocolate/caramel covered pretzel rods, and mine as well throw in a partridge in a pear tree! LOL - thinking I may need another month or so before it arrives!

Plus 24 Pumpkin poop, 25 Thanksgiving Cards, 45 Thanksgiving treats, 12 Ghiradelli chocolate boxes and 12 heart purses for Valentine's Day and have 18 baskets prepped for Easter!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaunView Post
Please, what is "Zindorf" style? Sounds very interesting!
Michelle Zindorf.....took one of her classes one time. Great! Do a search on here for Zindorf....you will be amazed. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #66  
Cardstock Collector

where did you get the questions for the jar? could you email me a copy of the questions? I have been looking for those questions for years. My email is [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #67  
Mad Swapper

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I have wrapped all the presents I have so far and have been wrapping as I bring them home. Last night I started making the gifts tags. I try to make them unique every year. No pictures yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #69  
Inking Addict

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #70  
Embossing Fanatic

What a great source! Thank you ladies for all the fabulous ideas. I've been looking for another idea for my Christmas Gifts Stamp Camp and the Tissue Box Cover wins!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #71  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
Do you sleep--LOL
UM............not too much!!! Sleeping takes away from crating time! I have so many things that I want to get done that I can't shut my mind off enough to get more than 5-6 hrs sleep on a good night!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

[Q UOTE=HollyWatts;17556358]Whew! You make me tired![/QUOTE]

SORRY!!! LOL Remember though I started in March!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #73  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Because of unemployment need to keep things simple. Sorted through my stash and found enough material to make new pjs, and 2 quillows. Also going to make some perpetua birthday calendars. Have started cutting pieces for my cards but haven't finished one yet. Will be doing some snowman soup in a paper mug. And keeping it simple. Hubby and I will have nothing but as long as the kids get something that is all that matters.

As for journal jars I have done those in the past. With a composition notebook it can be a nice gift--and a family treat if you can get people to share their thoughts etc. Always fun to hear of an event with a different perspective.

I think I will put the questions in a separate post. so see below.....

So they are lengthy---and there are plenty of others out there--just some I have saved. Hope they help give you some ideas.

Last edited by bound4london; 11-10-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #74  
Mad Swapper

Journal Jars questions for kids (obviously if doesn't apply don't use them)

Who are some of my favorite people? Why?
Who am I closest to in my immediate family? How did our relationship grow?
What are my goals and dreams?
What do I look like?
Who is my best friend? What is she/he like?
Who are some of my "school friends"?
Have I ever learned something from being in an argument with someone? If yes, what?
What is the most valuable principle I've learned through my experiences with others?
What is my most embarrassing moment?
When was I the most proud of myself?
When were my parents most proud of me?
Have I ever stood up for what I believe, even when it was very hard? When?
What are some of my jobs at home?
What does my bedroom look like? Do I share a room? Am I comfortable in my room? What do I like best about my room?
Have I ever written a story, poem, or song I would like to add to my journal?
Who are my church leaders?
Who's my favorite school teacher? Why?
What do I think of myself?
Am I pleased with what I look like? If I could change any part of myself what would it be?
What is the weirdest dream I've ever had?
Do I like school? Why?
What's my best subject in school?
What's my least favorite subject in school?
Am I involved in any clubs or extra-curricular activities? (Sports, dance, choir, etc.)
What are some events that are happening in the world right now? (Include newspaper clippings).
What is my most favorite thing to do at home?
What's my most favorite movie, book, poem or song?
What are some of my talents?
Do I enjoy my everyday life? What's it like?
What's my favorite Christmas memory?
What's my favorite Christmas present I remember getting?
What are my favorite family holiday traditions?
Where is my most favorite place to go, what is it like?
Have I ever had a "crush" on someone? Who, and do I still like him/her now? Describe him/her, and what attracts you to him/her.
Do I have a favorite sport, talent, etc.?
Describe each member of my family in my journal.
What's the best thing I've ever done with my life?
What is my favorite area in nature?
What pets have I had? Which one was my favorite?
What is my full name and who am I named after? If I could change it, what would I call myself?
What is my favorite scripture and what thoughts or feelings does it provoke?
Has anything major happened since the last time I wrote in my journal?
Describe a time when I lost myself in the service of someone else. How did it feel?
What is my favorite food? When I cook for my family, what do I enjoy making most?
What childhood experiences do I remember, (funny stories, accidents, memories playing, etc.)?
What's my favorite music group? Why?
What's my favorite movie?
What's my favorite book in the scriptures? Why?
What's my home life like? How could I improve or strengthen it?
What are my goals for the future?
What do I want to do after I get out of school?
What talents do I have that I want to strengthen?
What challenge or trial do I really want to overcome? How am I going to do it?
Am I a good communicator? How can I improve this?
Am I a good listener? How can I improve this?
Am I a forgiving person? Is there anyone I need to forgive and what's the game plan?
Am I a good friend to other people? If so, how? If not, what can I do to improve this?
Did I have a blanket or a favorite toy growing up?
What was my favorite birthday? What was the best birthday gift I ever got?
Describe my first driving experience.
Write about feeling loved and by whom.
Write about something or someone in your life who helped to grown and change.
Write about having to apologize to someone and patch things up.
What are the things I love and admire about my mother?
What are the things I love and admire about my father?
What are my relationships like with my brothers/sisters?
What was I into when I was a child? (Barbie, My Little Pony, etc.)
Who was my favorite elementary school teacher?
Who is/was my favorite junior high teacher?
Who is/was my favorite high school teacher?
What has been my favorite family vacation? Why?
What do I know about my grandfathers?
What do I know about my grandmothers?
Am I close to any aunts, uncles or cousins?
Describe your favorite summer activities.
Describe your favorite winter activities.
What qualities do I want in a husband/wife?
What kind of mother/wife father/husband do I want to be?
Do I have any favorite names for future children?
If I could live anywhere, where would it be? Why?
If I could have anything I wanted out of life, what would it be?
Write about something you are grateful for.
Write your feelings about the scriptures.
Write about how a prayer was answered.
Write about something that drives you batty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #75  
Mad Swapper

Journal jar questions for adults (older adults)

Did you special names for your grandparents?
Did you have special feelings when going to visit grandparents?
Do you have a piece of furniture or family heirloom? What is it?
Describe your family home. Was there any special view from it?
What was your bedroom like? Did you have to share it? What did you do to
make it your own?
Did you have a special object that you slept with? blanket? doll?
stuffed animal? Did it have a name?
Can you remember what you daydreamed about as you looked out your window?
How did you receive your mail? Can you recall getting anything special or
exciting?
Did your family eat in the kitchen or the dining room? Did everyone have
a special place to sit?
What kind of appliances did your home have when you were a child?
Who delivered to your house? Milkman? Iceman?
Was there much music in your house? How did you listen to it?
Was there any place in your house that scared you? Basement? Attic? Any
place where you felt especially cozy?
Did your home have a lawn? Flowers? Trees? Vegetables? Did you help care
for it?
What was your favorite season of the year?
Did you have a family "library"? Did your family read often?
Which news stories made the greatest impression on you?
Did your parents have friends over often? Can you remember what their
parties were like?
Which room did the family gather in most often?
How did you keep cool in the summertime?
What magazines did your parents have around? Did you read them?
The first time you went away for more than a few days, what feelings went
through you when you came back and caught sight of your house?
Who was your best friend in your neighborhood?
Did you and your friends play at your homes, in the streets, playgrounds
or fields? Did you have a playhouse?
Did you collect anything? Bugs, baseball cards, marbles, china figures?
How did you go downtown and get back home? Car, trolley, walk, etc.
Were you ever in a flood, tornado, snowstorm, earthquake, or other
natural disaster?
Did anyone in your neighborhood have a fancy garden, gazebo, pond or tree
where you liked to play or visit?
Did you go to the library?
What were your favorite board games?
Did you ever go door-to-door trying to sell anything to neighbors?
Where did you go swimming?
Did you have an imaginary friend when you were growing up?
What family customs do you recall which may have had their origins in a
foreign land? Describe family traditions that you remember from your
childhood.
How many brothers and sisters do you have? Describe them. Tell a story
about you and each of them-
Describe a perfect Autumn day.
How old were you and your husband when you were married? How old were
your parents when they were married?
What do you think about movies? What is your favorite movie?
What is your advice to those younger than you?
Did you and your father share any interest? Tell about your relationship.
Describe a perfect summer day.
What do you remember about shopping with your mother? Any particular
store?
What was your favorite store?
What did your father do for a living? (How did he get to work,
what time did he go and get home, did he take a lunch, who did he work
with, and did he get any special training for his job?
What political party comes closest to representing your own point of
view?
How do you feel about politics?
Where were you and what were you doing the day President Kennedy was
shot.
Where were you and what were you doing the day the first man landed on
the moon?
Tell about the birth of your first child.
What special things did you do with your Father?
Do you remember any special feelings you had as a child regarding fears,
fantasies, etc.?
Describe your favorite type of clothing.
Between the ages of 5-10 what was your favorite activity?
Thinking back, was there a teacher or class that had a great influence on
you?
Tell about how, when, and where you learned to drive, and any memorable
experiences while learning.
What were your father's best traits? His worst? Ones you share.
How did you like being the oldest, youngest, or middle child? Did it have
any particular advantages of disadvantages?
Describe a typical school day as a child in elementary~school.
Do you recall any special event which took place on your block or
in your neighborhood while you were growing up--fires, accidents, etc.
What do you feel has been the most significant world event that has taken
place during your lifetime and why?
Describe a favorite vacation in your married years.
Where did your grandparents live? What was their home like?
Tell about any pets you had as a child.
Tell about any religion practices in your home. Tell of any faith
promoting stories.
Tell about any exciting experiences in scouting, camping, or hunting.
Were there any events, world or local, that changed your life?
What do you remember about yourself as a teenager? What was important to
you? What were your dreams?
Tell about your teenage social life. Tell about your friends, dances,
movies, dating, outings, and church functions.
Tell about your early romances?
Did you serve in the military? If so where and when? What do you most
remember about the experience?
Tell about some of your neighbors as a child.
What things do you enjoy doing today that you also enjoyed as a child?
what is a special smell you remember from your childhood?
Tell about a special date you had with a boy/girlfriend, your fianc�?
Tell about your favorite aunt.
Did you wish you had more sisters or brothers? Why?
What Is your greatest joy? What is your greatest sorrow?
What is the biggest lesson in life you found to be true?
What is the most important lesson,message, or advice you've learned that
you'd like to pass on for others to profit by?
What is ONE WORD on how to live successfully.
Describe a night at grandma's house.
Have you met or worked with any famous people? Where, who, when.-
Tell about a frustrating experience you've had with your car.
Tell a courtship story about your parents, how they met, etc. Then tell
the same about you.
Would you choose differently if you could choose your occupation again?
Why, how, and any advice?
What was your most (really!) embarrassing moment?
Describe your mother's wedding dress. What do you know about her wedding?
Describe getting a Christmas tree with your family as a child, how was it
decorated, and when did you put it up?
Did you go to college or take any special vocational training?
Describe a typical day during high school years.
Tell about your marriage. When, where, by whom, parties given,
receptions, maid of honor, best man, colors, flowers, special music.
How did your first meet your in-laws?
What convinced you most in your choice of a spouse?
What are some of your favorite smells?
Describe your cooking skills as a young spouse.
How did your mother or father wake you up in the mornings?
What are you frightened of?
Did you have a bicycle? What was it like?
Share a principle you have learned, or one you have taught.
What was the first piece of furniture you bought?
Describe a perfect spring day.
Describe a childhood Christmas.
What special things did you do with your mother?
How was discipline carried out in your home?
What is the most adventuresome thing you've ever done?
Were you ever in a drama, speech, sport, pep club, etc?
Describe a perfect winter day.
Tell about how you came to acquire any family heirlooms.
Do you have a favorite author? Who? Any favorite books as a child?
Tell about your favorite uncle.
Do you remember any of your four grandparents? What were their names and
do you have any memories of them?
Describe your wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses, tuxedos.
Describe a typical school day during your Junior high years.
Describe a "sound" from your childhood.
Do you remember a special birthday party you've had, given or been to?
Describe your first paying job. What was the salary?
How do you feel about winning and losing?
How did you become engaged?
What did you want to be when you grew up?
What did your grandfather do for a living?
Describe walking down main street of your hometown.
What do you think about television?
What were your mothers best traits? Her worst? The ones you share.
Describe your Sundays.
Tell about any conditions surrounding your birth that you are aware of
and tell any interesting stories about your beginnings.
Tell about your parents philosophy of raising kids, discipline, and
rules.
Tell about your mother's personality, characteristics, stature,
coloring, talents, temperament, family stories about her, her role in your home, etc.
Tell about your father, his personality, characteristics, satire,
coloring, talents, temperament, family stories about him, his role in your family, etc.
Tell about any interesting or important visitors to your home.
Tell about a favorite vacation from your childhood.
Describe your first home/apartment as a young couple.
Describe your first "crush" and what he/she was like.
Describe your wedding day.
Did you have a close relationship with your grandparents? Explain.
What is your principal occupation and what circumstances led to it?
How did your mother spend her time?
Where did your parents live when they first married? Tell about other
places they lived an well.
What musical instrument do you wish you could play?
What was your favorite Saturday activity as a child?
Do you have a favorite brother or sister? What makes them special?
If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
Tell about each of your children, names, etc. Characteristics and
differences, problems, joys, sorrows, accomplishments, etc.
What is your child rearing philosophy?
Tell about your grandchildren..how many, names, how you feel about being
a grandparent.
Tell about your life as the children left home. New interest, what you
didwith the extra time, new employment, moves, hobbies etc.
What is your secret for good health?
What are your food preferences? How did they come about?
Tell about any civic or political activities you are involved in.
What do you think brings good or bad luck?
Tell about home cures, or old wives tales such as hiccups, warts,
toothaches, colds etc.
Handed down talents: Foods, clothes pin dolls, willow whistles, pottery,
quilting, meat drying, etc.
Tell about any ancestors you know about, dates, names, etc. for
historical purposes, and any stories about them.
Tell about the changes you've seen during your lifetime; society in
general, technology, fashions, fads, morality, politics, etc.
Tell about your philosophy for handling money.
What are your most precious and deeply imbedded values?
What personality trait do you admire the most about yourself.
If you had your life to live over again, what would you change?
Did or do you look forward to retirement? Tell about it.
Do you feel that you had a career, or just a job?
What was the best part of being a parent? The worst?
Do you like to cook? What is your favorite recipe?
Do you doodle? What figures tend to come up? Boxes? Circles? Faces?
What is the first thing you turn to in the newspaper?
Have you ever taken your grandchildren on a trip with you? One at a time,
or in a group? Did you have fun?
What was the hardest thing that you ever had to do?
What big things do you regret? Was there a turn in the road you think you
should have taken?
What was your biggest challenge? How did it turn out for you?
What's the biggest bargain you ever bought? What did you spend way too
much on? What was your most foolish purchase?
How would you like to be remembered by your children? Grandchildren?
How is your sense of humor? Do you like to tell funny stories? Do you
like to play practical jokes. Have you had one played on you?
Do you speak any foreign languages?
What have been the names of your pets?
Did your family take vacations? Did you go to the same place or did you
travel?
Do you remember any special stories your grandparents told you?
Did your grandparents live nearby? Did the house have any special cooking
smells? How big was the kitchen?
Did your family pass down any superstitions?
Did anyone in your family do handiwork? Needlework? Woodwork etc?
Describe how your family dressed. Any special clothing?
Did your mother wear a special perfume you remember?
Did your father wear cologne or after-shave?
What was it like when you took your spouse to meet your family?
Did the Great Depression affect your family?
How was your name chosen? Are you named after anyone?
Do you remember any special Aunts and Uncles?
Are you right-handed or left-handed?
Did you have any major illnesses as a child?
Did you have your tonsils out before going to school?
Do you wear glasses? Have you always worn glasses?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #76  
Mad Swapper

And another one for adults

FOR ADULTS:

Why was your name chosen for you?

What was happening in the world when you were born?

What is your earliest memory of home?

What was your favorite hiding place as a child?

What is your favorite hiding place as an adult?

What was your favorite store and why did you like to go there?

What were your chores as a child?

What did your mother do during the day?

What did you do on summer days?

What did you enjoy in the winter?

What was your favorite fairy tale or bedtime story?

What was your favorite doll or toy?

What was your favorite treat?

What pets have you had?

What pet did you always want?

Do you remember what an ice cream cone cost when you were a child?

What does one cost today?

What kind of car did your family have?

Describe how people dressed when you were a child.

Describe your favorite outfit as a child, and as a youth.

How were children expected to behave?

How did you learn about God?

Who set a good example for you?

What was your favorite scripture as a child?

What is your favorite scripture now?

What was your favorite television show as a child or youth?

Describe getting a Christmas tree with your family as a child. How did you decorate it?

When did you put it up, and when did you take it down?

What is your favorite season of the year?

Describe the sights, sounds and smells of that season.

In your opinion, what has been the most significant world event that has taken place during your lifetime and why?

Write about some places you went with your mother.

Tell about your civic or political activities.

What frightens you and why?

What is your advice to those younger than you?

What is your child-rearing philosophy?

What is your greatest joy?

Greatest sorrow?

What is your personal secret to happiness?

What is your secret for good health and long life?

What lessons did you take as a child?

What personality trait do you admire and why?

What was your most embarrassing moment?

What would you like to be remembered for?

Where, when and why did you go to college?

Write about some places you went with your father.

Describe your mother�s wedding dress.

What do you know about your parents� wedding?

Describe the downtown and stores of your childhood at Christmastime.

Did you and your father share any interests? Tell about your relationship.

Did you have a close relationship with any of your grandparents?

Tell about it. Did you receive your education somewhere other than school?

Did you wish you had more (or fewer) sisters and brothers? Why?

How do you feel about death?

Tell about your philosophy of life after death. How, when and where did you learn to drive?

Have you had any memorable driving experiences?

List each of your aunts and uncles and tell one thing about each of them.

Tell a courtship story about your parents: How they met, etc.

Tell the same thing about your courtship.

Tell a story about you and each of your brothers and sisters.

Tell about a special date you had with a girlfriend or boyfriend.

Tell about a teacher or class that had a great influence on you.

Tell about family traditions: Christmas, birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc.

Tell about home cures or wives� tales: Hiccups, toothaches, colds, warts, earaches, etc.

Tell about retirement: When, where, what you will do with your time.

Tell about teenage social life: Your friends, dances, movies, dating, church activities, etc.

Tell about your first "crush". What was he or she like?

Tell about your first Christmas as a married couple.

Tell how religion was practiced in your home, faith promoting stories, etc.

Were you ever in drama, speech, sports, pep or glee club?

Tell about it. What are your favorite foods?

What foods do you detest?

What color was your house, your bedroom, your living room as a child?

What convinced you most in your choice of a spouse?

What did you do as a child that got you in the most trouble with your parents?

With your teacher?

What games did you play in your home or neighborhood?

What kind of music do you like?

How does it make you feel?

What places in the world do you want to visit, and why?

What was winter like where you grew up?

What did you like to do on winter days?

What were your fears, expectations and anticipations about getting married?

What is the biggest lesson in life you have found to be true?

What is the most trying experience that ever happened to you?

What is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to you?

What is your favorite book?

What do books mean to you?

What is your favorite color? Why?

What are your most precious and deeply embedded values?

Where did your grandparents live?

What was their home like?

Did it have a certain smell or look?

Where is the most exciting place you have ever been?

What made it interesting?

Which of your mother�s personality traits do you share? Which of your father�s?

Would you choose differently if you could choose your occupation again? Why and how?

Do you remember any of your great grandparents?

What are your memories of them?

Tell about the changes you have seen in your lifetime: Society in general, technology, fashion fads, morality, politics, etc.

Tell about the houses you lived in up until the time you got married.

Do you remember any addresses or phone numbers?

Tell about your life as the children left home: New interests, what you did with the extra time, new employment, moves, hobbies, etc.

Were you responsible for any household chores?

Which household chores did you enjoy the most?

The least?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of your position in the family of oldest, youngest or middle child?

What is the most important lesson, message or advice you have learned that you would like to pass on to others?

Tell about your father: Personality, characteristics, stature, coloring, talents, temperament, his role in your home, family stories about him. What are his best and worst traits?

Tell about your mother: Personality, characteristics, stature, coloring, talents, temperament, her role in your home, family stories about her. What are her best and worst traits?

Where were you and what were you doing when these events occurred: World War II ended, John F. Kennedy was shot, the Berlin Wall came down, Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, and the space shuttle Challenger exploded?

Tell about each of your children: Names, birth dates, where they were born, circumstances surrounding their birth or adoption, characteristics and differences, raising them, problems, joys, sorrows and accomplishments.

Do you have a best friend?

Tell about him or her. How did your father support your family?

How did you become engaged?

How do you feel about winning? Losing?

Tell about your bicycle experiences.

One word on how to live successfully. Explain.

Tell about a favorite vacation from your childhood?

Tell about family reunions.

Tell about some family words or phrases.

Tell about the pets you have had.

Tell about your Boy Scout or Girl Scout experiences.

Tell about your family�s cars. Do you have a favorite author?

Who is it and why?

What do you think brings good or bad luck?

Describe a childhood birthday.

Describe your Sundays.

Tell about your wedding day.

Describe a trip downtown as a youngster.

Describe a favorite Christmas with your children.

Tell about a favorite vacation from your childhood.

Tell about a favorite vacation in your married years.

What is your favorite movie and why?

What do you think about movies?

List all the places you have worked and tell something about each one.

What things do you enjoy doing today that you also enjoyed as a child?

Do you remember any special fears, fantasies, etc. that you had as a child? Tell about them.

Describe your first home as a young married couple. Have you met or worked with any famous people?

Who, where and when?

Tell about a frustrating experience you have had with a car.

Tell about skills you have learned from your elders: Food preparation, willow whistles, pottery, quilting, whittling, etc. What kind of music do you like?

How does it make you feel?

What is the most important lesson, message or advice you have learned that you would like to pass on to others?

What musical instrument can you play?

What games did you play in your home or neighborhood?

What is the biggest lesson in life you have found to be true?

What was happening in the world when you were born: President, news events, movie stars, hit songs, etc.

What has been your biggest disappointment in life?

What is the thing you love most about being a mother/father?

What is the most difficult thing a mother/father has to do?

What does real success in life mean to you?

What is the value of pursuing a vocation, hobby or activity that you love?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Whew! Quite a collection of journaling prompts. I did this last year for my DIL and Granddaughters. Covered a peanut butter jar with deco paper, cut each of the prompts and stufffed them in the jar. They loved it ~ and are still using it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #78  
Crimping Master

Smile

new computer should be arriving late next week - once I get it set up I will upload photos of my gifts to my gallery! It is so depressing to not have my desktop - I have been using a mini laptop and it is SOOOOOOOOOOO small! LOL but at least I am not having withdrawal systems!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Wow....thank you for all the journaling prompts..... what a great conversation starter....

This would be great to use in my job in Activities in a Nursing Home.... I hear lots of stories. Great way to add some topics. Thank you so much for sharing. Love all the ideas for gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinglakeView Post
Hiya, Do you have the instructions for the calendar as i'd love to make some for gifts.xx jo xx
I got the idea from here: Stamping Scoops

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes