Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2015, 03:55 AM   #241  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scottitude,

I totally agree that it is possible to be an annoying DSA lady. I just disagreed with westimom saying that you had be one to sell DSA products. To me, it is the difference between the sales person where you leave the store happy with the customer service you received, and the one you will peek in the store to make sure he isn't there before you go again lol!

I just think it is rude to paint a whole group with a very broad brush. Or, to say well I only buy for myself and anyone that does otherwise is annoying and makes others want to run from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #242  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I think that Lela (SerenityStamper) makes a valid point when she brings up the global facet of anything/everything being bought or sold these days, and the overwhelming majority of businesses going to "online only". I think that one of the reasons we've seen Stampin'Up! do periodic releases (of photopolymer sets, for example) that you only hear about online may be that they're testing the waters there... Maybe they are trying to find a balance between a more prominent online presence and a "party plan/show up in person" sales model...? I know that many people (including myself) like to see things in person before buying (especially papers, for me), and nothing ever looks as good in a catalog (online or hard copy) as it does in real life. I would imagine that it is a very hard nut to crack (finding that balance), but may be what's necessary to survive in today's global economy. I can name several consultants for various companies who have a HUGE online presence and seem to enjoy sales there without being annoying or pushy - just prolific and inspiring! Maybe that will be a new trend?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #243  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My demo is not "that person" who is pushy etc. She is a crafter who loves to stamp and just happens to sell SU and, as said by someone else, I approach her when it's time to order or host a workshop.

She did contact her customer base this Salabration period to let us know she was having a special hostess share deal going on, but to me that isn't pushy, just letting us know. So non-pushy sales people do exist!

I am one who crosses the mall to avoid the avid skin care people! You know who I mean! I show an intense interest in the products in the stores opposite their kiosk haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #244  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not really read a lot on this thread, but I did google Stampin Up and bankruptcy, or something , and while I could not find any mention of bankruptcy - and I'm hoping SU stays afloat for as long as possible and I think stampin up will be fine , at least for a while , this article about Stampin Up laying off people in the Main office in Riverton was interesting. I'm not sure if it is a local newspaper, or what, but it seems to be a local newspaper in the Riverton area

Here is a link Stampin' Up! says layoffs imminent | Deseret News

Stampin' Up!, a Riverton-based direct sales company, announced Friday to its employees that layoffs are imminent and are expected to happen by the middle of next month. ......She told the Deseret News that the company's approximately 10 percent decrease in sales over the past two years has forced Stampin' Up! to make some difficult choices as it has tried to cope with lower sales revenues.....Robinson said that the company has already cut costs in virtually every part of the business to mitigate lagging revenue. This will be the first time in its history that the company has experienced major layoffs, she said.

So I think that Stampin Up is struggling, but I suppose many stamping companies are struggling, though some seem to be growing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #245  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Let me preface this by saying that I don't blame SU for this.

When I was an SU demo, about 11 years ago, I lost a very good friend because she thought I was trying to make money off her. I used to invite my friends about once a month to a stamping get-together, where we would make a few cards and play with SU products. I didn't charge for the get-together, and I never pushed the products. Some people bought, and some didn't. No pressure.

After about 2 of these get-togethers, my friend sent me a very long, very detailed email about her financial situation. She was very upset that I "kept inviting her," and she told me that she was't going to come anymore.

I was very hurt, and I told her that I never intended to make her feel pressured, and that I had invited my friends because I enjoyed their company. I didn't care whether or not they ordered anything.

Well, we didn't speak for a very long time, and we only saw each other at dance recitals and religious instruction a few times a year. I reached out to her when she sent a mass email about her daughter being in the hospital. We met once, and I haven't heard from her since - except a mass e-card that she sends to everyone in her email address book.

The moral of this story is that sometimes people get the wrong impression, no matter how hard you try. Even if you try very hard not to be "that person," there will always be those who misinterpret your intentions. I've been a direct sales consultant for 3 different companies, and I wasn't very good at any of them. I just don't have the personality for it. That doesn't mean that those who are successful are "those annoying people." There are many factors that affect success in direct sales. I hope the demos who want to hang on are able to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #246  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I've not really read a lot on this thread, but I did google Stampin Up and bankruptcy, or something , and while I could not find any mention of bankruptcy - and I'm hoping SU stays afloat for as long as possible and I think stampin up will be fine , at least for a while , this article about Stampin Up laying off people in the Main office in Riverton was interesting. I'm not sure if it is a local newspaper, or what, but it seems to be a local newspaper in the Riverton area

Here is a link Stampin' Up! says layoffs imminent | Deseret News

Stampin' Up!, a Riverton-based direct sales company, announced Friday to its employees that layoffs are imminent and are expected to happen by the middle of next month. ......She told the Deseret News that the company's approximately 10 percent decrease in sales over the past two years has forced Stampin' Up! to make some difficult choices as it has tried to cope with lower sales revenues.....Robinson said that the company has already cut costs in virtually every part of the business to mitigate lagging revenue. This will be the first time in its history that the company has experienced major layoffs, she said.

So I think that Stampin Up is struggling, but I suppose many stamping companies are struggling, though some seem to be growing.
I did notice the date of that article was March 21, 2009...and I remember when there were some really popular people at SU that left the company. That was a sad time...

That doesn't mean there aren't changes coming as globalization efforts more forward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #247  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOView Post
I did notice the date of that article was March 21, 2009...and I remember when there were some really popular people at SU that left the company. That was a sad time...

That doesn't mean there aren't changes coming as globalization efforts more forward.

Thanks for pointing out the date for me! I am sorry, I had thought it was March 21st this year! So sorry for my error! Thanks Chris O! I guess things just go up and down for a lot of companies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #248  
Insane Embellisher

WOW. I didn't think I was painting everyone with a broad brush. And to be called rude is over the top. If you knew me, which you don't, you would not be so judgemental.

No matter what you think, people associate you with your MLM business. In many cases, that's good. People know who you are if they choose to buy something. In many other cases, it is not so good and can cause people to avoid you. Jeanette has given a good example of that.

Years ago (many years), I had a coworker who had some kind of home party every month. It was exhausting. I still remember another woman saying "how come every time she invites us to her house, we have to bring our checkbooks?" This is the point I am trying to make. And I have seen demonstrators on the demo side here give advice like "make sure you approach everyone there about having a party" so yes, I would call that agressive.

SU puts a HUGE emphasis on recruiting. You don't need a math degree to figure out that not everyone can be a demonstrator. They have run the numbers to account for demonstrators leaving. If no one recruited, it would be a downward sprial.

I love the matchy, matchy of SU. And since I am an INDEPENDENT demonstrator, I can sell product at a discount one day a month to my friends. And even with that, they order less and less...... Still, they know that I don't make a dime off them and that keeps the dynamics as friends instead of customers.

There are reasons that SU is making these changes. I cannot imagine that someone will have a home party with sales of, for example, $180 for $18 worth or merchanidise. It's just not worth bothering your friends, making treats, cleaning your house, and delivering things. Yes, if the party is bigger, you will get a few percentage points more. Still not worth it.

I hope SU stays around but I would not care if they went retail and dropped their prices 20%. They would still be ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #249  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOCKEY FANView Post
Oh boy. I meant to send a pm. I am so sorry everyone. Admin you please delete my post. I did not meant put here. I am soooo sorry
I got that same PM pushing Fun Stampers Journey a couple weeks ago and I never posted anything about wanting to be a demo for any company.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #250  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post
I got that same PM pushing Fun Stampers Journey a couple weeks ago and I never posted anything about wanting to be a demo for any company.....
This is a PERFECT example of our discussion . One person thinks something is informational and another thinks it's pushing. It's all a matter of perspective. And all perspectives are legitimate!

MLM sales are an interesting animal!

I'm grateful to hear all the diverse perspectives on SCS, coupled with respect.

Kind blessings,

Lela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #251  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After 12 years in direct sales, from my experience there are different kinds of consultants just like there are different kinds of customers. It is not required to be the kind of consultant that is super pushy just like it's not required to be the kind of customer that has two parties a year.

There is something that ties into all of this together and that is what I will call "direct sales culture." The culture for consultants is what you see at convention with people getting excited about products, getting to walk on stage, and meeting people who are prominent in that culture. Every direct sales corporation tries to promulgate this because it helps get people excited about selling products. And there is NOTHING WRONG with this. Some people get really drawn into it, get fired up, and they do very well. Some people get very drawn into it, get fired up, and they fall flat on their faces. The trick is to figure out what you really want out of your business and not to feel bad if you don't want to buy into the whole culture.

There is no requirement to buy into it. You can step back and be a laid-back upline and a laid-back sales person. That is how I am. I don't push to recruit. When I get recruits, I don't push them to meet sales goals or recruiting goals to help MY business. I don't spend time on the phone asking people to have parties. I concentrate on selling online because it works well for me now that I am working full time. I will do parties when people ask me to do them, but I don't push for bookings at those parties.

When I first joined, I read a lot of issues of the company magazines,and I got really fired up and tried to be that demo the first year. And it worked pretty well for me. I went to convention and got even more fired up, figuring I would be one of the demos up on stage the following year.

The economy tanked. And my successful rise in direct sales took, if not a nose dive, at least it stopped rising. I felt really bad about it when I went back to convention the following year. I went through anger at myself, anger at the culture, and just disappointment that I was not where I wanted to be.

And then I took good long look at what I really wanted. When I joined, my original thought was to buy for myself and maybe sell to a few friends. Why did I get so caught up in someone else's dream? Did I really want to be the kind of demonstrator who spends their time on the phone trying to get recruits, booking, and sales? I didn't really. So instead I became myself again.

I still go to convention. I don't sit on the edge of my seat in classes and drink in every word, because I've heard most of them before. I concentrate on spending time with the friends I have made, learning new things about the products, and just having a great time relaxing away from my family and my job.

I'll repeat that there is nothing wrong with the culture. For women, particularly, direct sales can be an amazing experience. It can take someone who was unsure of themselves, uncertain around other people, and shy, and it can turn those women into self-assured, confident women. You can form friendships that will last you the rest of your life, both among your fellow demonstrators and with people who are your customers. I know that for *me*, my life has been totally changed by it. And for people who own direct sales businesses, this can be a major part of why their business is a direct sales business. There is a lot of gratification in helping women achieve these kinds of gains. I've met Shelli, and I am pretty sure that is how she feels about it. I'm sure that's why Stampin' Up! is still a direct sales business. It might seem fake to you standing on the outside looking in. But for people who have made a success selling in direct sales, it can seem just as weird that people on the outside looking in don't get it. They have gotten so much out of it, they think everyone should want to be a part of it.

For the people outside that culture, it can look pretty crazy. People getting so excited to meet prominent people in the company, screaming and pushing to get to the front of the line to get into an auditorium, fighting to grab prize balls as they are tossed into the audience (which doesn't happen at SU!'s convention any more because they went to something much more civilized), and getting starry eyed over meeting the leader of the company can seem weird and twisted. But in our culture of celebrity, there is probably someone you would go a little weak in the knees about meeting isn't there? This isn't much different than that.

On the other side of the culture are people who really enjoy home parties. If you can find those people, you can do very well. Most of those people will be consultants for one direct sales company or another, so they will take turns having different parties. I was lucky enough to find a couple of groups like this in my first couple of years.

Of course, just like demonstrators, customers don't have to get sucked into the direct sales party circuit. You can certainly to buy directly from consultants and never hold a party yourself. Most demonstrators would be thrilled to have someone buying from them, even if they never meet them.

So I guess my point is, you can be a demonstrator and not be "that demo" but there is nothing wrong with being "that demo" if that is your style. Some people like being a customer of "that demo" because they like that amount of personal attention. Other people don't. If you are a customer, you can certainly find a demo who is not "that demo" if you don't want "that demo" as your demo. :mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #252  
Insane Embellisher

I think it would be great if I could meet that person. Unfortunately, the ONLY MLM salesperson I have EVER met who was low key was a young friend of my daughters who was selling Lia Sophia and made no secret of the fact that she was trying hard to get a job in her field after graduating from college. She definitely did not see direct sales as her life.
No one ever thinks they are "that demo" and no one will tell you that you are. I have seen plenty of postings on the demo side here that scream "aggressive salesperson" from some of the same people who claim they are not.
As the subject was the SU changes, I think SU has to make changes. Papercrafting is not what it was ten years ago. When I saw Archivers and Two Peas go down, the handwriting was on the wall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #253  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
No one ever thinks they are "that demo" and no one will tell you that you are.
So true...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #254  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I think it would be great if I could meet that person. Unfortunately, the ONLY MLM salesperson I have EVER met who was low key was a young friend of my daughters who was selling Lia Sophia and made no secret of the fact that she was trying hard to get a job in her field after graduating from college. She definitely did not see direct sales as her life.
No one ever thinks they are "that demo" and no one will tell you that you are. I have seen plenty of postings on the demo side here that scream "aggressive salesperson" from some of the same people who claim they are not.
As the subject was the SU changes, I think SU has to make changes. Papercrafting is not what it was ten years ago. When I saw Archivers and Two Peas go down, the handwriting was on the wall.
I would think that the reason you have never met one is because the totally nonaggressive sales people will generally not even tell you when they sell for a company so how would you know? ;)

People who are successful, BTW, in direct sales generally aren't overly pushy. They offer you a cookie and let you decline graciously if you don't want one and they don't keep shoving in your face insisting you take one. There's a balance to it. People who are overly pushy just end up turning people off.

And yes, if changes have to be made, they should be made. If there is a choice to be made between making changes and remaining viable and fiscally responsible or not making changes and going out of business, it's pretty easy to guess what choice a good company makes.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #255  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a friendly SCS Mod reminder..

Solicitation of customers is not permitted anywhere on SCS. In the forums or by PM. If you receive PMs from someone recruiting please let any of the moderators know.

Back to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 AM   #256  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I would think that the reason you have never met one is because the totally nonaggressive sales people will generally not even tell you when they sell for a company so how would you know? ;)

People who are successful, BTW, in direct sales generally aren't overly pushy. They offer you a cookie and let you decline graciously if you don't want one and they don't keep shoving in your face insisting you take one. There's a balance to it. People who are overly pushy just end up turning people off.

And yes, if changes have to be made, they should be made. If there is a choice to be made between making changes and remaining viable and fiscally responsible or not making changes and going out of business, it's pretty easy to guess what choice a good company makes.
Yep! There is nothing pushy about asking a customer at a party, "Would you like to have a party." What is aggressive is refusing to take no for an answer. I also think this is a personality thing. I find that a lot of people that think every single DSA person out there are aggressive and annoying tend to be the same people that feel quilty if they don't buy something at a party, have trouble saying no to invitations, etc. I have no trouble going to a home show if I am interested in a product, listening to the consultant, and not buying anything if I don't find anything appealing. For other people, if they did that they would feel terrible, and I can see how that environment feels aggressive even if the consultant isn't. And, the anticipation of that feeling is even made worse by the consultants that are crazy aggressive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #257  
Pearl-ExPert

And, one of the things I really like about Stampin Up is their willingness to see that something needs to be changed and change. They see that the global papercrafting is expanding so they make use of their resources to expand and grow globally. They see that pocket scrapbooking tends to be where more and more scrapbookers are going so they partner with the leading brand within that subset of the community while still offering 12x12 to those who want the traditional scrapbook. That ability to grow and change, and yes make very tough calls, it what will keep them in business.

If you look at creative memories on the other hand, they weren't as successful with that. They had one bankruptcy, and other than dropping framing they changed little about their company. Then they lurched too far in the other direction, and went almost entirely to redone albums with ahni and Zoe. If you didn't want digital, pocket, or fast and fabulous (I think that was it) you were out of luck. and, now after another bankruptcy they seem to be back. Time will tell whether they can change enough while still retaining their unique character to capture some of the market back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #258  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't chimed in before but I've been interested in this thread. I had a SU party at my house the other night and chatted a bit with my hobby demo about the changes. As we were talking we remembered the announcement about apsotrophe a while back. I'm wondering whatever happened with that? I went through the vinyl products and jewelry ventures as a demo and wasn't thrilled with those branching out attempts.
As far as the "that demo" syndrome goes, I was a hobby demo and had had hopes at the beginning, just as one commenter said, that I might be able to make more of a business out of it. I quickly learned that I just wasn't cut out for it and wasn't in an area where there were folks with the time that also had the disposable income for crafting. I enjoyed hosting stamping nights monthly at my church for no charge, but it was tiring schlepping all the stuff around (my house just wasn't set up for doing it there). I developed one main customer and between the two of us I was able to meet my quotas. I always felt guilty though-I knew I could be doing better with sales if I were to put more time and effort into it. Then, if I did make some sales, I felt guilty because I knew that some gals were spending money that they didn't really have and others were buying stuff and never really using it. I also felt compelled to buy all the new colors and at least one item from the mini catalogs to demo. I sometimes bought things more in mind of what others would want to see rather than things I'd like myself. It has been much better for me to have the pressure off, especially once DH finished seminary and became a pastor...that's been pressure enough! Now my one good customer is the demo and I'm helping her make quotas! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #259  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
This is a PERFECT example of our discussion . One person thinks something is informational and another thinks it's pushing. It's all a matter of perspective. And all perspectives are legitimate!
I disagree: an unsolicited recruitment message is NOT "informational".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #260  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I disagree: an unsolicited recruitment message is NOT "informational".
In defense of the poster, Hockey Fan. She did ask that her post be removed. I actually wasn't offended, and do like to hear about new companies. She didn't send me one pm after posting, and has not attempted to change my decision to stay with SU. I've made my decision to stay with SU. This thread is a SU discussion and it shouldn't have been posted, my opinion after giving this much thought. So I will have to agree with our moderator here. Maybe there should be a place for members to post this type of information, maybe there is?
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #261  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
In defense of the poster, Hockey Fan. She did ask that her post be removed. I actually wasn't offended, and do like to hear about new companies. She didn't send me one pm after posting, and has not attempted to change my decision to stay with SU. I've made my decision to stay with SU. This thread is a SU discussion and it shouldn't have been posted, my opinion after giving this much thought. So I will have to agree with our moderator here. Maybe there should be a place for members to post this type of information, maybe there is?
I'm not concerned about that accidental posting, because I've totally done that.

But GirlFriday specifically said that she received a recruitment private message despite never having expressed an interest in becoming a demo, so, again, I disagree with the assessment that such a message could be considered "informational." I think most people who want that kind of information are capable of asking for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #262  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I'm not concerned about that accidental posting, because I've totally done that.

But GirlFriday specifically said that she received a recruitment private message despite never having expressed an interest in becoming a demo, so, again, I disagree with the assessment that such a message could be considered "informational." I think most people who want that kind of information are capable of asking for it.
I must have missed that post, and I agree. It's in the quote, and don't know how it didn't register. On to discussing SU.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 03-23-2015 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #263  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Another friendly reminder - site posting rules make making another member the subject of negative posts forbidden.

Please get back to the original thread topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #264  

I didn't know that PMs were not allowed too. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
Just a friendly SCS Mod reminder..

Solicitation of customers is not permitted anywhere on SCS. In the forums or by PM. If you receive PMs from someone recruiting please let any of the moderators know.

Back to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #265  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I haven't chimed in before but I've been interested in this thread. I had a SU party at my house the other night and chatted a bit with my hobby demo about the changes. As we were talking we remembered the announcement about apsotrophe a while back. I'm wondering whatever happened with that? I went through the vinyl products and jewelry ventures as a demo and wasn't thrilled with those branching out attempts.
Perhaps this is another hijack - I just went to their site. They look like they are still operating. There are a couple of kits that I thought were super cute! The fingerless mitten bracelet thingies, and the dream catcher. The wooden spoons were interesting too but I wouldn't do them, wouldn't use them. The SU! tie in (besides Sarah) is that the dream catcher is using the luscious lace that was in the SU! catty. I am glad they are finding ways to use extra stocked product.

Last edited by Serenity_Stamper; 03-23-2015 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #266  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
There is nothing pushy about asking a customer at a party, "Would you like to have a party."
Completely disagree, sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #267  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuLillaView Post
Completely disagree, sorry!
So what is pushy about a demo closing out your order and nicely asking, "Are you interested in throwing your own party." You say no thank you and she says, "Okay, your order total is x dollars."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #268  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
So what is pushy about a demo closing out your order and nicely asking, "Are you interested in throwing your own party." You say no thank you and she says, "Okay, your order total is x dollars."
She disagrees. I'm pretty sure she is not required to give an explanation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #269  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
This is the problem with having this kind of discussion only on a forum. I read the demo asking nicely and accepting graciously someone not wanting to have a party. Obviously, other people read this as pushiness.

I want to encourage everyone here to be kind to one another, even if you disagree with someone (or think you do). We all have opinions, we all make mistakes, we all are human and deserve kindness and respect. We are joined by a common love of crafting, and really, what is more awesome than that?

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #270  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I never said she was required to respond. I simply asked a question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #271  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post

MLM sales are an interesting animal!

I'm grateful to hear all the diverse perspectives on SCS, coupled with respect.

Kind blessings,

Lela
I don't know if I have ever quoted myself LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #272  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I tend to disagree... if you don't tell people you sell for a company, you're not going to get any sales, unless you're one of the fortunate who has a built-in network of customers for whatever reason. On a personal level, it depends how you define success. If success to you is meeting your quota by your chinny chin chin hair through your circle of friends, then I guess you don't need to tell people you sell for a company. However that is personal success, not business success. The company, as we know, considers you a hobbyist, not a successful sales person. No trips for you! [insert Seinfeld 'Soup Nazi' voice here ;) ]

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #273  
Insane Embellisher

I'm having a hard time picturing this non-aggressive salesperson. She doesn't tell anyone that she sells something. So how does she sell anything?

I also think it is aggressive to ask each person if they want to have a party. This is EXACTLY what I said........ people see this DS person coming and try to hide. Behind her back, they talk about how she always asks you to have a party, come to something, buy something. Of course the DS person doesn't know. They don't say it to her face.

I am sure there are a few successful people in MLM. VERY few. The huge majority spend more than they make. Many of those who think they are making money would do better working 10 hours a week at McDonalds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #274  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I'm having a hard time picturing this non-aggressive salesperson. She doesn't tell anyone that she sells something. So how does she sell anything?

I also think it is aggressive to ask each person if they want to have a party. This is EXACTLY what I said........ people see this DS person coming and try to hide. Behind her back, they talk about how she always asks you to have a party, come to something, buy something. Of course the DS person doesn't know. They don't say it to her face.

I am sure there are a few successful people in MLM. VERY few. The huge majority spend more than they make. Many of those who think they are making money would do better working 10 hours a week at McDonalds.
Asking everyone every time they see them to have a party or buy something is completely different then asking each customer at the end of a party if they want to have their own. Especially if they move on at the first no. If people can't see the difference between those two scenarios than I would say it is probably impossible to have a logical discussion about this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #275  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I also think it is aggressive to ask each person if they want to have a party. ...snip...

This can be viewed a couple or more different ways...
It can be seen as aggressive to ask everyone you see, come in contact with, if they want to have a party. It is being aggressive about the business.
It can be seen as aggressive to ask everyone at a party if they want to hold a party, but if they say no, do you ask again and again thinking they might change their mind down the road? Or maybe they said, not at this time, ask me again in 3 months or 6 months...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #276  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

This is not on the topic and is personal. Please refrain from discussing each other and discuss the topic. If you need a review of the rules they are in the footer of each page of the site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #277  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it's just a matter of one's own personal opinion. One person will walk in a store, choose to avoid any salesperson until checkout time & just find what she wants. Another person will actively find a salesperson to help her find what she wants. Same way by a DS instance. Some people will welcome any kind of help, or invitations to have a party or purchase something. Someone else will dodge all DS people. It's just a difference in people's thinking. I would love to go to parties, but noone in my area has them & I live 30 miles away from everyone so I don't have any myself. I think my hubby says it pretty well. Sales is the hardest high paying job, and the easiest low paying job there is.
I was writing this as Understand Blue was posting. It will probably get edited since I'm not sure about the rules - so just delete it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #278  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
This is the problem with having this kind of discussion only on a forum. I read the demo asking nicely and accepting graciously someone not wanting to have a party. Obviously, other people read this as pushiness.

I want to encourage everyone here to be kind to one another, even if you disagree with someone (or think you do). We all have opinions, we all make mistakes, we all are human and deserve kindness and respect. We are joined by a common love of crafting, and really, what is more awesome than that?
Thank you so much for saying this. Your thoughtfulness is like a breath of fresh air!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #279  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a little different view of this.
I think the home demonstration business model "creates" the idea of a pushy Demo or pushy friend

In this business model most of the next sales are gained within the current sale rather than though advertising where people seeking out the sales person or company to buy something

The Demo "must" ask if anyone wants to have a party is she wants to further her business AND the Demo also has an obligation to ask if others want to host a party because her hostess will get more credits for merchandise.

The customers or friends may feel guilty they can't or don't want to have a party because they know their friend would get more credits or merchandise if they did. Consequently they may be on the defensive.

I don't think either are wrong it is just the nature of the home demonstration business model .

The Demo is just doing her job by asking and it is up to the customer to smile and say No Thank You if asked to host a party. No elaborate reasons or excuses are needed .

It is no different than when a Demo in a store offers you a sample of something and you don't want it . I am sure you don't feel pressured or go into a long dissertation of how you are on a diet or diabetic or Vegan , you just politely say No Thank you .
That store Demo IS a sales person too ;)
Just my 2� worth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 02:12 AM   #280  
Pearl-ExPert

I completely agree with you about hostess getting less credit if someone doesn't book a party creating an air of pressure. I have always like that Stampin' Up gives you the same rewards even if no wants to have a party after you.
Reply With Quote Likes