Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

How much of a price increase is there going to be??

Are we talking 5%, 10% or a $ amount on stamp sets??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #122  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
How much of a price increase is there going to be??

Are we talking 5%, 10% or a $ amount on stamp sets??
I'm seeing clear mount sets as high as 38.95 no dies included. The Mothers Day clear set is $30.00, Build a Bouquet polymer $33.95, nearly $40.00 for Guy Greetings, for example. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're starting to raise stamp prices. They're just slipping them in here and there. That's just pure craziness.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 02-08-2015 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I'm seeing clear mount sets as high as 38.95 no dies included. The Mothers Day clear set is $30.00, Build a Bouquet polymer $33.95, nearly $40.00 for Guy Greetings, for example. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're starting to raise stamp prices. They're just slipping them in here and there. That's just pure craziness.
Are these current prices? And will there be another increase in Oct?

Just trying to understand. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #124  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not outraged~ I see the big picture. Many people have been talking about the demise of Stampin' Up! for years~ it is still a strong company and will be around for many years to come.

I will continue to be a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator and will continue to teach others the joy of stamping. I will continue to have hosts for parties and customers to purchase product.

The direct sales model makes it a unique business~ but I don't see that changing anytime soon either.

"The secret to change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old but on building the new" Socrates

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #125  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Are these current prices? And will there be another increase in Oct?

Just trying to understand. Thanks
These are current prices from the current catalog. I shutter to see prices in the next one, Ouch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #126  
Stampin' Fool

I love Stampin' Up! I just cannot agree this is a good thing.

Last edited by Annecards; 02-08-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #127  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is the problem when people only hear part of the story. If you were a demonstrator you would have all the info and know what was happening with the compensation plan, but you're not.

The compensation plan is going to help more demonstrators make more money as they work their business~ I think that is a good thing.

Once demonstrators learn the new plan most will embrace it~ some will quit.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #128  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddstampsView Post
This is the problem when people only hear part of the story. If you were a demonstrator you would have all the info and know what was happening with the compensation plan, but you're not.

The compensation plan is going to help more demonstrators make more money as they work their business~ I think that is a good thing.

I sincerely hope you're right. I don't even mind having to spend a little more money to help my demo be successful. But, I will tell you not many customers will feel the same. If Shelli wanted to sincerely help the demo, she would have given them an across the board commission increase, and focused on keeping products affordable for the consumer.

Now you've all heard enough from me. I will remain a SU supporter, unless I start seeing more of those $40.00 prices.��

Last edited by Annecards; 02-08-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #129  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Let me just say there is no announcement on prices. That's not part of the plan at all. Sure, prices may increase but that's the world in general. Please don't go thinking there's some secret price hike going on we are all in cahoots about :-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #130  
Die Cut Diva

Received 179 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not outraged by price increases, because I guess I haven't noticed them. The "From the Herd" stamp set of 13 stamps, one of which is quite large, is $24.95, $17.95, or $15.95, depending on your choice of wood mount, red rubber clear mount, or photopolymer. I think all 3 price points are in line with what SU has charged in the past for similar-sized sets.

You mentioned Build a Bouquet and Guy Greetings. Did you realize that those images are shown at 50%? These are big sets with lots of medium-sized images. With Guy Greetings for example, yes a $50 price tag is high, but when you consider that it's 22 stamps that's only about $2 a stamp, and none of them are tiny stamps. If you don't realize the 50% images, it does look misleading and likely overpriced. They show a couple select images in each set at the true size, but I think it's hard (for me at least) to extrapolate that to the other images. I think it would be easier if they showed those same select couple of images in both of the sizes, so you could see how much bigger they truly are when in real size. Actually, I hope they go back to always showing the true image size in the catalogs. I just have a hard time with it!!

I think what I noticed in this most recent Occasions Catalog is that there are quite a few very large sets, like Crazy About You that has 33 stamps, or Guy Greetings that has 22 stamps. And there are several sets that have really large individual stamps, like B.Y.O.P., or Butterfly Basics, or Big on You. Big images and big sets that have lots of individual stamps have always been at the higher price points. I guess I think that the medium sized sets with medium sized images are at about the same price points as what I've seen in the recent past.

Also, I have heard NOTHING about a planned across the board increase in prices. An increase in prices was NOT part of the changes that were released to demos, at least in what I've attended or read. That's not to say that will not happen at some point in future, but it wasn't mentioned as part of the changes for this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #131  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I will tell you not many customers will feel the same. If Shelli wanted to sincerely help the demo, she would have given them an across the board commission increase, and focused on keeping products affordable for the consumer.
Stampin' Up! will be around for years to come. Giving an across the board commission increase isn't a very wise business decision. The demonstrator that only does the minimum requirement will still get many perks, if she ups her sales to $450 a quarter she will see an increase in her commissions~ a 5% increase in commissions is pretty big these days.

I believe Shelli truly wants to help the demonstrators and that is why we will see an increase in pay with a little more "work". I am sure her focus is where it needs to be~ it's her business.

As for price increases Minders is right~ there is no deep dark secret about prices increasing.

I love that Stampin' Up! is manufacturing all of their stamps right here in the good old USA~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #132  
Insane Embellisher

Just an FYI..... I AM a demonstrator. I have heard all the new compensation plan. SU felt that they could only give a little bit of information every week so we could "absorb and understand" it, which was ridiculous and insulting. I do not "embrace" the change nor do the pages and pages of demonstrators on the SU demonstrator site.
I do like the product. I am considering a lot of things at this time. I will probably stay in but I will change some things for me. I have never sold a thing but I may start a group. Who knows?
Thankfully, I have a job that pays the bills so this is just for fun. I would be livid if I counted on this for income.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #133  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of the things I found at Leadership is people didn't really understand or absorb all of the information~ even though it was presented a little each week.

There are more opportunities for all demonstrators to earn cash and bonuses than ever before, plus we will have a great new points system that everyone will be able to participate in and earn product, trips, etc.

There were lots of changes with this new program and I think if you don't go through it step by step you won't see the benefits.

For a majority of Demonstrators the only cut they will see is the hostess benefits~ a huge majority of Demonstrators will see a pay/benefit increase. Personally I think we are lucky that Stampin' Up! allows us as demonstrators to reap the Hostess benefits too~ most direct sales companies do not allow it.

I think once everyone looks at the whole plan and not just bits and pieces most will see the benefits.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #134  

Received 806 Likes on 328 Posts

Frankly, I wish we could just end this discussion. What is it accomplishing?

Last edited by sc magnolia; 02-08-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #135  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
No one is under any obligation to read it or contribute to it if they don't care to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #136  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Someone stated earlier that demonstrators pay for online ordering. That's not the case. Demonstrators can have a business website, but it's not required. Customers can order from a demonstrator directly through SU's website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #137  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Customers who are buying for the freebies/sales/specials mentality don't care about "helping more demonstrators make more money" especially at the expense of the customer. Everyone likes a good deal! Also, the demonstrator will only make more IF the customer continues to buy. If a customer can get a comparable item for less elsewhere they will spend their hard earned money elsewhere. There's been some good points on different companies and their sales/free shipping/etc. specials. Times are still tough and people still need to make "wise" buying decisions, more bang for the buck and all that jazz. Time will certainly tell.
I don't think it's accurate to say SU! sales did not go up the way they expected when the hostess benefits changed (some say increased) as life circumstances changed and there is no legitimate or equal comparison, as everything, the cost of living went up considerable a couple of years ago and everyone was hit in one way or another and had to reevaluate their spending patterns. That alone had a considerable impact on why workshops and classes, etc. did not go up with that change. That has not really changed; so far, yes, fuel is down but nothing else really has followed suit yet. Again, time will certainly tell and SU! will reevaluate this change and modify if needed.

Last edited by Dandy15; 02-08-2015 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #138  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Isn't freedom of speech grand? Everyone has an opinion and can share it freely without fear of being stoned....as least for now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #139  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

One of the things I found at Leadership is people didn't really understand or absorb all of the information~ even though it was presented a little each week.

There are more opportunities for all demonstrators to earn cash and bonuses than ever before, plus we will have a great new points system that everyone will be able to participate in and earn product, trips, etc.

There were lots of changes with this new program and I think if you don't go through it step by step you won't see the benefits.

For a majority of Demonstrators the only cut they will see is the hostess benefits~ a huge majority of Demonstrators will see a pay/benefit increase. Personally I think we are lucky that Stampin' Up! allows us as demonstrators to reap the Hostess benefits too~ most direct sales companies do not allow it.

I think once everyone looks at the whole plan and not just bits and pieces most will see the benefits.
Well, frankly, I'm not hearing anything about benefits to customers, and without customers, demos aren't going to earn anything, no matter what the "whole plan" is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 AM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

There is literally one change that will directly affect customers, which is the new hostess plan. It will go back to 15 for the beginning of that hostess level, but will be based on a percentage of your sales so you can make more without jumping to the next level (yea for no more I need to buy 25 more dollars to get x more dollars in the next hostess level!). I love that customers will be able to earn more hostess money without jumping levels!

There will be indirect benefits IMO as well. For example, since demos that are doing even a small amount over minimums will get 25% they may be able to offer more at their classes for the same amount of money, because their costs will be down.

To me, the lessening of ten dollars (less if your workshop is over 150 in that level) is a fact of doing business. They couldn't keep throwing money at something that wasn't giving any results. I could have a hissy fit over it, and I am sure my customers will be slightly disappointed when they first here the news, but when the big picture comes through I think they will continue buying our products and having workshops.

I don't get too worried about threats of doom as I have heard them before. After the big color change I heard a lot of threats of doom on here, because customers would never put up with having to stock up on old colors and then buy new ones. When we had two catalogs a year it was how horrible Stampin up was, because they weren't giving customers enough time to budget for new items before retirement (now we don't give enough newness with only one catalog apparently). When we had to increase prices on paper it was that customers would never pay that for paper. Etc. And yet, Stampin Up survived through all those "doom" type events.

I am so blessed to be a part of a company that makes smart business decisions even when they know those difficult decisions are hard. The companies that don't are the ones that close no matter how much their customers love the product. But, as in the past, it is hard to convince the naysayers that anything but doom is coming. I will plan with joy for the future, and look forward to many more years of loving and sharing stamping. I guess only time will tell who is right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #141  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know the whole story on the changes to the demo compensation plan - and I'm not a demo, so I don't really want to know what it is, it's none of my business other than it was a part of my demo's decision to leave. Something that I have said before is that SU's best customers are their demos. Customers aren't forced to stock up on old colors and then buy new ones - but the demos are forced to buy the new ones. Demos are the ones who have to buy the new stamps every year and who have bunches of them that they can no longer use at workshops. Demos are the ones who bought Stampin' Up's heart punch and then had to buy a new one because they updated the shape just enough that it won't work with the new heart stamps.

My impression of the new compensation plan (what little I know of it, from what has been posted here) is that SU is trying to phase out the demos who are doing it only for the discount for themselves. If that's what they need to do to keep the company viable, fine and good. Businesses do what they need to do to stay profitable. But once those hobby demos leave and don't need to order from SU to meet their minimums, and they start discovering other companies, I think SU might be surprised at how much revenue they lose out on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 AM   #142  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I don't know the whole story on the changes to the demo compensation plan - and I'm not a demo, so I don't really want to know what it is, it's none of my business other than it was a part of my demo's decision to leave. Something that I have said before is that SU's best customers are their demos. Customers aren't forced to stock up on old colors and then buy new ones - but the demos are forced to buy the new ones. Demos are the ones who have to buy the new stamps every year and who have bunches of them that they can no longer use at workshops. Demos are the ones who bought Stampin' Up's heart punch and then had to buy a new one because they updated the shape just enough that it won't work with the new heart stamps.

My impression of the new compensation plan (what little I know of it, from what has been posted here) is that SU is trying to phase out the demos who are doing it only for the discount for themselves. If that's what they need to do to keep the company viable, fine and good. Businesses do what they need to do to stay profitable. But once those hobby demos leave and don't need to order from SU to meet their minimums, and they start discovering other companies, I think SU might be surprised at how much revenue they lose out on.
No one's forcing anyone to buy anything. Period. And I'm a hobby demo and sure not being phased out.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #143  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I can understand your thoughts on this but SU really doesn't encourage demos to stock up, in fact they warn us against buying too much so we don't have to worry about retiring products. If a demo were to work the plan as designed, they only need a minimum of stamps, ink, paper to hold workshops and they would sell their sets as soon as they retire. No a demo wouldn't use retired products at a workshop, but they certainly will use them at a class to show how their customers can use their existing products with new offerings.

The demos that have it all do so because they want to have it all. Yes, it would hurt SU if ALL the hobby demos dropped but IMHO it is the business demos that recruit that make SU grow. The company couldn't survive if it was just hobby demos making the minimum.

Yes, there are SUO demos but a lot of demos also buy from other companies. Personally, I think a demo that buys from other companies are better demos because they know what else is in the marketplace, where the competition is, what the new trends and techniques are and how they can off-set the differences using SU products.

I'm not going to worry to much about any of the changes because it's all up to me to stay or go but it does sting a little when there are misconceptions about how SU operates. Do I like all their decisions? Heck no, but if I want to control a business I better get off my duff and start one. Am I loyal to SU - yes, but not overly so. We all just need to see where this goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #144  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Well, frankly, I'm not hearing anything about benefits to customers, and without customers, demos aren't going to earn anything, no matter what the "whole plan" is.
There are no additional benefits for the customer. Demos correct me if I'm wrong. Customers will be loosing hostess benefits. We once received $25.00 in hostess rewards for a $150.00 order, for example. SU is cutting it to $15.00. You no longer have to jump to the next level to get more hostess dollars, because it's determined by a percentage of your total order of $150.00 and over. Basically you will receive a 10% discount (hostess dollars) on the total dollar amount of $150.00 and over.

Just keep in mind your demo. If you're like me, you will continue to support her. I think mine deserves a raise.

Unless you're one who constantly submits large orders, you won't be affected. If your demo wants you to host a party, you may want to rethink agreeing. By the time you buy food and drinks it's not worth it. It would be worth it if you held a cardmaking class, charged a few dollars a person, and received some orders. I certainly will not be hostessing any parties without tying it into a card class.

Last edited by Annecards; 02-09-2015 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #145  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I doubt they are trying to force out Hobby Demos because in a marketing plan such as this the Demos are their biggest customers.
All Demos hobby or business sign a commitment to buy X amount of product per quarter. I think their profits are sagging and they are reducing compensation to both Demos and customers in hopes producing more profits for the company. Their profits are sagging due to poor business decisions on their part and a lack luster economy.

I think they need to go back to their core business of stamps , matching CS, DP, ink, ribbon and limited embellishments. Many of the other products they sell can be purchased at a big box store or on-line with a 40% off coupon.

Stamp images of pre-school drawings went out of style years ago . They need to look at their successful competitors images or check the high prices on e-Bay for their older stamp sets or PSX sets to see what people want to buy
Cutting the compensations of the Demos and reducing the incentives for hostesses will only lead to more cuts in the future.
To believe the Demos are going to be eager to work a lot more hours or spend 50% more money just to earn the same amount of money they used to earn, is wishful thinking .
Just my 2� worth
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #146  
Pearl-ExPert

The precentage you get in hostess rewards from your workshop increase based on what hostess level you reach. The first level is 10% and the second level is 12% for example. Just thought I would correct that piece of misinformation.

Those who make only their minimum as demos will receive 20% off just like they do now. They are not being punished by choosing not to sell more, but Stampin Up is most definitely rewarding demos that sell just a little more. Which is a pretty smart business move.

Also, demos don't have to buy any product they don't want to. I don't currently own every color we sell, definitely don't buy a ton of new stamps every catalog, don't buy every punch or die, etc. I buy what I love and want to own. Stampin Up actually encourages us to be very wise about our purchases.

One thing I have learned about Stampin Up is they pay good attention to the numbers. If something isn't selling they stop selling that product no matter how much some people claim it is the best selling product ever. If they are continually selling a certain style of stamp set it is because that is the style that is selling. I for one am very happy they partner with other companies, because that allows us to have all the lovely dies and matching stamp sets we carry for example. I am also glad that my customers have the option to buy things like the envelop punch board from me. They don't care that they could get it with a coupon elsewhere. They like the service I give, know I will take care of them if there are issues with the product, and unlike the craft store employee I will regularly teach them new ways to use it and other items we carry (they don't like searching online and finding all the ideas themselves). Not everyone is looking for the lowest price. It is similar to quilting supplies. I certainly buy a decent amount of steals online, but I definitely buy a good deal at my local quilt shop, because I appreciate the services they offer and I want them to stick around. I certainly wouldn't wanted them to slash their prices (or keep prices that were hurting their business) just because they feared I would stop shopping there. Because, eventually they would be out of business, and I would no longer get to take part in their awesome store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #147  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it will be interesting to come back to this thread in a years time.
Here are my predictions:
  • Stampin' Up! will still be a company
  • Their growth will be positive in sales and recruiting more demonstrators
  • There will still be people predicting the demise of Stampin' Up!

Have a great week!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #148  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
No one's forcing anyone to buy anything. Period. And I'm a hobby demo and sure not being phased out.
Actually, if you want to keep your demo status you are being "forced" to buy/sell $300 a quarter. If you don't have customers because you are a true hobby demo, that comes out of your pocket, no matter what you spend the money on...paper, inks, ribbon, stamps, paper pumpkin, etc. Or you would not be a demo any longer...just sayin'. As far as being a customer, you are right, no one is "forcing" anyone to buy from SU! but freebies sure sweeten the deal and make it easier to buy more, no matter which company is offering those sweet freebies. It's a good thing we are all different and that what I consider a sweet deal may or may not be what you consider a sweet deal... a free stamp, a free ink pad, free shipping...etc.

ETA: SU! has not said they will or will not have monthly deals, offerings or change what they have now...a new photopolymer stamp set the 2nd Tuesday of each month, new weekly deals (every week), etc.

Last edited by Dandy15; 02-09-2015 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandy15View Post
Actually, if you want to keep your demo status you are being "forced" to buy/sell $300 a quarter. If you don't have customers because you are a true hobby demo, that comes out of your pocket, no matter what you spend the money on...paper, inks, ribbon, stamps, paper pumpkin, etc. Or you would not be a demo any longer...just sayin'. As far as being a customer, you are right, no one is "forcing" anyone to buy from SU! but freebies sure sweeten the deal and make it easier to buy more, no matter which company is offering those sweet freebies. It's a good thing we are all different and that what I consider a sweet deal may or may not be what you consider a sweet deal... a free stamp, a free ink pad, free shipping...etc.

ETA: SU! has not said they will or will not have monthly deals, offerings or change what they have now...a new photopolymer stamp set the 2nd Tuesday of each month, new weekly deals (every week), etc.
I thought being a demo for SU or any other company is voluntary. If anyone feels "forced" maybe they should rethink their options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #150  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I thought being a demo for SU or any other company is voluntary. If anyone feels "forced" maybe they should rethink their options.
RIF.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #151  

Quote:

I CHOOSE to be a demo, I'm not forced to do anything. I choose to spend what I spend (and I have a few customers here and there but not enough to consider myself a business demo). My reasons for being a demo are my own as are everyone else's so I'm not going into detail but it's a lot more than stamps and minimums. I can choose not to do it anymore any time I choose. Nothing about any of that says force to me. I'm just sayin'�.

And I like freebies and deals as much as the next person but I don't need or expect them every time I make a purchase�anywhere.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #152  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
One thing I have learned about Stampin Up is they pay good attention to the numbers. If something isn't selling they stop selling that product no matter how much some people claim it is the best selling product ever.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, CTAB. Isn't SU required to continue to offer a stamp, even if it's selling poorly, as long as said stamp appears in their annual catalogue? That would be a year, minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #153  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9or18holesView Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, CTAB. Isn't SU required to continue to offer a stamp, even if it's selling poorly, as long as said stamp appears in their annual catalogue? That would be a year, minimum.
Yes. I was referring to the poster who said that our type of stamps were no longer popular and thus weren't selling. But, if Stampin Up is selling the same type of simple line stamps year after year it is because those are the stamps that are selling when they are developing the new catalog. They have told time and again that they do look at sales numbers when deciding which types of stamps to continue selling, develop more of, and which stamps to retire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #154  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I CHOOSE to be a demo, I'm not forced to do anything. I choose to spend what I spend (and I have a few customers here and there but not enough to consider myself a business demo). My reasons for being a demo are my own as are everyone else's so I'm not going into detail but it's a lot more than stamps and minimums. I can choose not to do it anymore any time I choose. Nothing about any of that says force to me. I'm just sayin'�.

And I like freebies and deals as much as the next person but I don't need or expect them every time I make a purchase�anywhere.
We can argue technicalities all day long but the fact is that IF you want be a demo you MUST have $300 in sales each quarter. IF you do not make that minimum requirement you will no longer be a demo. Don't place that $300 in sales each quarter and see what happens. Whether or not you have customers and whether or not you have milestones you are trying to achieve and whether or not you have the money to spend yourself, is completely irrelevant. Yes, there is the one time exception... like I said, technicalities, whether you want to call it being "forced" to buy or not...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #155  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

We can argue technicalities all day long but the fact is that IF you want be a demo you MUST have $300 in sales each quarter. IF you do not make that minimum requirement you will no longer be a demo. Don't place that $300 in sales each quarter and see what happens. Whether or not you have customers and whether or not you have milestones you are trying to achieve and whether or not you have the money to spend yourself, is completely irrelevant. Yes, there is the one time exception... like I said, technicalities, whether you want to call it being "forced" to buy or not...
Like I said before, being a demo for Stampin Up or any other company is Voluntary.

I would think that someone who is interested in becoming a demo does research on the company. Additionally, a contract must be signed. IF any part of that contract does not suit a person, they do not have to sign said contract.

If any current demo feels forced to use their own money to keep their status, they must decide if this situation is to their benefit or not.

If said demo is a hobby demo and has no customers, they should have thought about spending $300 a quarter is worth it or not to keep demo status.

I just don't understand this Forced issue. No one tells me how to spend my money. No is a VERY powerful word. Just say no and continue on with life.

Again, no one is forced to be a demo. It is voluntary. Said contract was very Specific in their requirements. People need to read all small print before signing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #156  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Like I said before, being a demo for Stampin Up or any other company is Voluntary.

I would think that someone who is interested in becoming a demo does research on the company. Additionally, a contract must be signed. IF any part of that contract does not suit a person, they do not have to sign said contract.

If any current demo feels forced to use their own money to keep their status, they must decide if this situation is to their benefit or not.

If said demo is a hobby demo and has no customers, they should have thought about spending $300 a quarter is worth it or not to keep demo status.

I just don't understand this Forced issue. No one tells me how to spend my money. No is a VERY powerful word. Just say no and continue on with life.

Again, no one is forced to be a demo. It is voluntary. Said contract was very Specific in their requirements. People need to read all small print before signing.
I know just what you're saying. Unless you place an order qualifying for hostess rewards, you won't see any difference. Oh, there will no longer be 50% off rewards. I've only placed a couple of orders even qualifying for those, so no loss there for me. However, I think demos are loosing the most. It's hard to understand without hearing the whole story, but it seems demos are loosing their hostess rewards on their orders too. They're getting some kind of points or bonus points. SU is going to give them an extra 5% on quarterly sales over $300.00, or something like that. Anyway you cut it, it's simple math. It's a win for SU and loose for both demo and customer. Unless customers support their demos that 5% means squat. Now if a demo is a high performer the 5% may not look so bad. I'd say the hobby demo who makes the $300.00 minimum is loosing the most. Sure they get the 20%, but have to spend $300.00 a quarter. It wouldn't be worth it to me, and especially without hostess rewards.

Last edited by Annecards; 02-09-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #157  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't read through all of the posts...not sure if this can be posted yet, but thought I would ask since it's pretty much been aired that hostess benefits will go down to $15. My question is will this take affect with the new catalog in June?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #158  
Pearl-ExPert

People that have not read the entire compensation plan should really stop saying what it is, because it is spreading misinformation. Demos will still get hostess rewards on their orders. There will still be a 50 percent off item at a certain hostess level.

Oh, and most demos will make more money with the new plan. Those that only make their minimum get the same discount they did before. Demos that sell 1800 a year will make five percent more on their sales. I sell just a little over what we need to get the five percent extra, and I will make more on this new plan. I know, because Stampin up provided each of us a snapshot of how much we would make on the new plan if our sales numbers were the same as last year. The majority of demos come out the same or ahead with the new plan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #159  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
I haven't read through all of the posts...not sure if this can be posted yet, but thought I would ask since it's pretty much been aired that hostess benefits will go down to $15. My question is will this take affect with the new catalog in June?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #160  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reading back over this thread and realized that I sounded really crabby and anti-SU along with a bit of "ooh, they'll be sorry!" (which was a recurring tantrum I used to use back in the 60's, and which did not affect my parents' decisions any more than it is going to affect SU's!).

I want to apologize to any demos that I might have offended. You signed on as a demo because you loved the product, and you're right, no one is forcing you to do anything or buy anything that you don't want. Lord knows that the only times I've been guilted into buying something was when I was invited to a home party or when an exceptionally adorable child has a flyer from school.

I'm crabby because my demo, who I love, has decided to quit being a demo. She was somewhat upset about the changes to the hostess benefits; I also know that she has been very disappointed in at least the last two Idea books as well as the minis - she has found very few sets that she loved. So I'm sure that the changes to the demo side were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Will I still order from Stampin' Up? Probably, but not as much. I ordered a lot that I would have never even considered if I hadn't seen them at her classes. Is that going to make any difference to the company? No. I'm not a big enough customer that they'll even notice a difference. All I ask is from any company is that you fill my order in a timely fashion, that you do your best to make sure that it's correct, and that if there's a problem with it, you do what you can to fix it promptly. Stampin' Up has always met those requirements.
Reply With Quote Likes