Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by love6kidsView Post

I understand your frustration, but just from curiosity, do the other companies offer any benefits when you place a large order? I'm honestly not trying to be contentious. I really don't know. I'm also curious about your description of outrageous shipping fees. $15 for $150 in purchases doesn't seem as outrageous as a lot of company's rates.
Whimsy Stamps has a bonus program where you get points for each stamp you purchase and they can apply them to a stamp(s) of your choice . So even if you only buy one stamp you get bonus points and cheap shipping.

Their shipping is cheap and free with a $75 order. Up to $10 shipping is $2.50--$10-$20 shipping is $3.50---$20-$40 shipping is $4.75 and so on
Shipping Information : Whimsy Stamps

They have quality rubber stamps with lovely designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreksView Post
If you have a relationship with a demo, wouldn't you rather talk to her about the changes than read partial info from a chatboard? Put yourself in your demo's position -- wouldn't you want the opportunity to talk to your customers rather than them getting potentially skewed info from SCS?
Would suggest you read the initial post on this thread (I'm the OP.) I do have a relationship with my demo and did speak to her. She informed me she's quitting SU as a result of the new changes going into effect this yr, and as I've learned on this thread, she's not alone. Out of respect for her agreement w/SU, she didn't feel she could (yet) divulge details of the changes, nor did I ask her to. That's what started all of this. I came to SCS in search of understanding, not "skewed info."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #83  
Die Cut Diva

Received 179 Likes on 56 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9or18holesView Post
Would suggest you read the initial post on this thread (I'm the OP.) I do have a relationship with my demo and did speak to her. She informed me she's quitting SU as a result of the new changes going into effect this yr, and as I've learned on this thread, she's not alone. Out of respect for her agreement w/SU, she didn't feel she could (yet) divulge details of the changes, nor did I ask her to. That's what started all of this. I came to SCS in search of understanding, not "skewed info."
I'm so sorry that my post came off as snarky. I didn't mean it to be that way, but as I reread the first paragraph, it certainly is snarky. I'm sorry for that.

My post was certainly not directed at you. I understood that you had a relationship with your demo, and I respect that you did not press her for details before the timeframe when they can be shared. I also feel really bad for you losing your demo who has provided you with so much. If she does resign, I hope you can find another demo in your area who is a good match for you.

My comment was directed at those who are making decisions about their future ordering plans, hostess clubs, etc. without knowing all the facts yet. One thing is certain: things are changing and that makes lots of people uneasy.

More importantly, my post was intended to be a plea to all customers to give their own demos a chance to explain the changes in their own terms in the coming months. I clearly did not word that intent well and I apologize for that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #84  
Glitter Guru

Received 251 Likes on 112 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreksView Post
For those of you in clubs with your demos, do you really think she won't inform you upfront of the changes when it's time to commit to another year of club? Do you think she'll try to "slip one past you?" I highly doubt that.

None of this takes effect for months, so demos and customers both have time to absorb the info, determine how it affects them, and make decisions on how to move forward. Give your demo some time, and if nothing has been said in a couple months' time, and you still have questions about the changes, ask her.

If you have a relationship with a demo, wouldn't you rather talk to her about the changes than read partial info from a chatboard? Put yourself in your demo's position -- wouldn't you want the opportunity to talk to your customers rather than them getting potentially skewed info from SCS?
Well said! As a demo, I have waited until after leadership to see if there was anything else being offered like the free hostess sets they used to do, but nothing was announced. So I will be talking to my ladies face to face about it. I want it to be a verbal interaction and not in an email. I have all the details in front of me and can now absorb it all and inform my customers with all the facts!
Angie~Jeremiah 29:11
My blog: http://angieannastamps.com/
https://facebook.com/stampingwithangie

Last edited by angieh29; 02-06-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #85  
Polyshrink Goddess

Getting to your original question, as a demo, I can't share explicitly all the details but as I just got done doing 2 video calls with my downline over the last couple days to go over the changes with them, I can say there is a lot to take in and almost all of the changes only impact demonstrators and not customers. In looking at my team of folks, it initially looks like they are going to be doing as well or better with the new plan (and those that aren't, only have small adjustments to be doing better than today). It is true, there is a smaller percentage of demonstrators who are negatively impacted by the changes but most of those folks are people who are fulltime demonstrators. It has been a lot for us to take in and process and I know some folks are having a hard time with change... but it may be the case that after they talk to their upline or have a chance to put all the changes into a bigger picture together they will see how they are going to be just fine or doing better! So you never know, your demonstrator may change her mind between now and October. Or in some circumstances, may drop and then rejoin a few months later (because of how her team structure may be changing).

I've been a demo for 6-1/2 yrs and have seen a number of changes that I thought were good and bad. I stuck with it because I love the products and I loved sharing new ideas with other people and all the friends I've made through the stamping communities and Stampin' Up demonstrator communities. I had reservations about the new changes but I can see lots of good things and lots of increased opportunities for folks who are demonstrators but not doing this as a fulltime business.

I know that the hostess benefit changes are a really hard change for some folks, but we'll see how it goes and I'll provide value to my customers in other ways that keeps me competitive with online companies. Some people are going to leave, some people are going to join, some people are going to not shop as much with SU, and others are going to stick around. And if it turns out to have been a horrible idea, you can bet SU will make changes to make things better for everyone as they will for sure be watching their numbers as the changes go into effect.

All the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #86  
Insane Embellisher

my comment from the beginning has been "what is the secret?" Every demonstrator knows the details now and there is really no reason for SU to ask anyone to keep it a secret. A comment was made that "they might not even notice" and that is simply wrong. The changes in hostess rewards is going to affect a lot of customers. Most of the rest of the changes won't affect customers and the customer doesn't care what your title is. SU should get ahead of the curve and just post the changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #87  
Stampin' Fool

I was a demonstrator for two years while working a job often requiring over 60 hours a week. I did get orders and held card classes, but decided it was just too much to fit in my busy schedule. Although I could have remained longer as a hobby demonstrator, I felt my demonstrator deserved the percentage. She is terrific, and works very hard for SU. Just my opinion.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #88  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
my comment from the beginning has been "what is the secret?" Every demonstrator knows the details now and there is really no reason for SU to ask anyone to keep it a secret. A comment was made that "they might not even notice" and that is simply wrong. The changes in hostess rewards is going to affect a lot of customers. Most of the rest of the changes won't affect customers and the customer doesn't care what your title is. SU should get ahead of the curve and just post the changes.
I think it is just like the current compensation plan and business resources that are available for demonstrators now, that have been around for ages. We can talk to folks in person, explain things... It is just we can't publish the parts or full business policies/rules. I'm sure part of that is competitive reasons (don't need to show all their inner workings to competing companies, just like CTMH doesn't share all their details publicly either) and part is because they don't want someone to publish part of some information and have a potential customer or demonstrator misunderstand it and not have a way to get access to the full set of information. Since how much a demonstrator is paid and how we are rewarded by the company doesn't usually impact a customer purchase decision (except in the very rare cases where a change causes sometime to decide whether or not to continue as a demo - and even in those cases, if you aren't the demo, what would you do differently if you did know all the details that only impact demos?), then no need to make big announcements to their customers. Just like if a big company like American crafts or We R Memory keepers changed how their business was structured and how they paid their sales staff, it might impact which scrap stores carried which of their product but most of us consumers generally aren't impacted enough to need to wade through all the details. If they were cutting a whole product line or something like that, then a bigger public announcement would make more sense (but nothing like that is happening. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 04:28 AM   #90  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

I don't think a company announcing changes to their "employees" before the pubic is keeping a secret. As I said before, it's business. Did someone say people won't notice? I may have missed a reply here or there but I don't think anyone will miss a change in hostess stuff however how would customers notice any changes in the compensation plan? We don't go around telling our customers what we make do we? Maybe that's more what was meant as there is ONE change affecting customers and MANY just affecting demos.

I agree that there is no point in making some big announcement now with months left in the current plan. Most other stores and companies wouldn't make a an announcement almost 6 months in advance I assume. I do appreciate they gave demos a lot of time to absorb the info. I still don't understand it fully but I've been distracted :-)

I am curious though, as you seem really disenfranchised with SU, why you continue to be a demo? I'm not trying to be snarky but really to understand. If I was upset by the changes or anything they did I'd simply quit. Just wondering.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #91  

And just out of curiosity and because he was in the kitchen (lol) I asked my hubby who is a VP at a large nationally known company about the changes and when to announce since business is his thing :-)

He said there's always a grace period where employees get announcements and can digest them before they announce changes. He said he'd announce it no more than one or two months in advance since it doesn't take effect until June. Just thought it was interesting to hear his take on it since he does this kind of stuff day in and day out…I totally don't understand what he does lol!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 AM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
Just like if a big company like American crafts or We R Memory keepers changed how their business was structured and how they paid their sales staff, it might impact which scrap stores carried which of their product but most of us consumers generally aren't impacted enough to need to wade through all the details.
Not sure it's fair to compare SU w/American Crafts or We R Memory Keepers since, to my knowledge, neither of them is a direct sales, rep and catty-based business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #93  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't purchased from SU in awhile and after reading through this thread it got me thinking. I agree with one of the posters about the direct sales model of doing business may be in for significant changes - especially due to so many internet companies. I always felt that SU products were rather on the expensive side and that demos put so much of their time and hard earned money to make very little. I think SU can be just as profitable (maybe more so) by becoming an internet store, and having regional craft fairs while eliminating the demonstrator altogether. They can have regional workshops and instructors (along the line of copic classes) and a top notch design team. Ditch the paper catalog and go completely online. This would be a complete change in the way they do business but may be the way to go for continued profitability and to remain competitive. I absolutely love their cardstock.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! I hope they never go that route. I love being a demo. And, I still have several customers that don't like buying stamps only. They want to get together with friends and play with products before ordering. I think sometimes people forget that just because they like ordering exclusively online that ain't what everyone wants.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
I haven't purchased from SU in awhile and after reading through this thread it got me thinking. I agree with one of the posters about the direct sales model of doing business may be in for significant changes - especially due to so many internet companies. I always felt that SU products were rather on the expensive side and that demos put so much of their time and hard earned money to make very little. I think SU can be just as profitable (maybe more so) by becoming an internet store, and having regional craft fairs while eliminating the demonstrator altogether. They can have regional workshops and instructors (along the line of copic classes) and a top notch design team. Ditch the paper catalog and go completely online. This would be a complete change in the way they do business but may be the way to go for continued profitability and to remain competitive. I absolutely love their cardstock.
Seriously???! What happens when there is a ZOMBIE Apocalypse and internet is down;)

Last edited by lesliespringer; 02-07-2015 at 07:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
Wow! I hope they never go that route. I love being a demo. And, I still have several customers that don't like buying stamps only. They want to get together with friends and play with products before ordering. I think sometimes people forget that just because they like ordering exclusively online that ain't what everyone wants.
Exactly!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 371 Likes on 202 Posts

I like having a catalog to look at. I don't have the SAB one and I HATE scrolling back and forth thru pages online to look at the items!

I don't order a lot online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #98  
Stampin' Fool

Default A Customers Point of View

It's a bad move, especially with so many other great products out there. Plus, most online companies offer coupons. SU certainly isn't thinking about the stiff competition out there, let's face it SU products aren't cheap. I'll remain a loyal customer, but many will not. I don't blame demos who are not happy with the new structure. Shelly's plan is to put more dollars into profits for the company, after all she's a business woman. I don't see that mentioned, unless I missed it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #99  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I agree that people like to get together and craft, and there is a huge draw for the 'classes' that I see SU demos do to sell products. But those classes can still happen through Meet-ups where you can get a % for the number of card kits (Pumkin?) you sell.

But the stamps are over priced (IMHO). I go for the card stock and matching inks/ribbons - about $100/yr. I buy a ton of supplies but not from SU for this reason. (I am a new demo.)

I loved the demo kit I got, but probably would not buy any more for the year. I'm just not that in love with the stamps to pay 25-30 dollars for the set when I can get Hero Arts and other great artist sets for half that price - and end up with a variety of styles.

My demo discount only eliminates shipping and tax (in CA) - I can buy from Scrap Mark and get free shipping and no sales tax!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #100  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I agree that people like to get together and craft, and there is a huge draw for the 'classes' that I see SU demos do to sell products. But those classes can still happen through Meet-ups where you can get a % for the number of card kits (Pumkin?) you sell.

But the stamps are over priced (IMHO). I go for the card stock and matching inks/ribbons - about $100/yr. I buy a ton of supplies but not from SU for this reason. (I am a new demo.)

I loved the demo kit I got, but probably would not buy any more for the year. I'm just not that in love with the stamps to pay 25-30 dollars for the set when I can get Hero Arts and other great artist sets for half that price - and end up with a variety of styles.

My demo discount only eliminates shipping and tax (in CA) - I can buy from Scrap Mark and get free shipping and no sales tax!
I totally understand. I think Shelly is underestimating the demo and consumer. She's already raised the price of stamps to offset the demo commission. If that weren't enough, she's cutting hostess rewards. Pretty sly putting a few more dollars into the demos pocket, knowing that most will need to kick the extra back to the consumer to keep their business. I've already read posts from demos who are thinking along those lines. It's a win loose strategy, win for SU and loose for the customer and demo. Lastly, she's put all of this on the demos back. Yes, you will be the ones having to deal with the backlash. I for one will not be blaming my demo and will continue to support her. She's just a little menow in a sharks tank of big business.

Last edited by Annecards; 02-07-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #101  
Insane Embellisher

I am curious though, as you seem really disenfranchised with SU, why you continue to be a demo? I'm not trying to be snarky but really to understand. If I was upset by the changes or anything they did I'd simply quit. Just wondering.

Thanks for asking. I AM disenfranchised. I think cutting those benefits to hostesses is the worst move they can make. And I watched every video every week hoping their would be a silver lining to all this. Never saw it. I see on the demo side that some bigger demonstrators are also dissappointed. But I DO love the matchy-matchy thing with SU and I do love their cardstock. I will likely stay with SU but just change the way I do things. I don't need another stamp set but I do need paper and ribbon. I have several "disenfranchised" friends who like the discount (which just barely covers the overpriced shipping and the sales tax) so we will work things out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Since the new catalog goes live in June, it will be in our hands in May. So I don't think NOW is too early to let customers know of the changes. This gives everyone time to think about the changes and if they want to put in one last big order before the changes take effect or wait. Then everyone can plan accordingly and do it now with SAB or when the retirement list comes out or no worries and wait until the new catalog goes live. This gives everyone time to get used to the fact that benefits will be down and if and how it will affect each of us individually, but to think about why we like buying SU! products anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #103  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten messages regarding my comment on SU and how I think that stamps and other products are over priced and the discount doesn't do much for me because I'm charged shipping and sales tax.

Let me clarify - I do this for fun and have a full time job to support my bad habits. This is not a business for me. I became a demo for the discount, but the cost savings just didn't materialize. I do not want to switch to another company - I don't want to sell these products. Thank you for the information though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #104  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I've gotten messages regarding my comment on SU and how I think that stamps and other products are over priced and the discount doesn't do much for me because I'm charged shipping and sales tax.

Let me clarify - I do this for fun and have a full time job to support my bad habits. This is not a business for me. I became a demo for the discount, but the cost savings just didn't materialize. I do not want to switch to another company - I don't want to sell these products. Thank you for the information though.
I feel the exact same way! I am doing this for the discount ONLY. I do not want to be the person that tries to get everybody to buy things, have a workshop, join a club, etc. The discount barely covers the sales tax and shipping charges. Of course, I could get an additional 5% if I would up my sales by 50% per quarter. Um.... no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #105  

What an interesting topic! I started with Stampin Up. I wouldn't be stamping today if not for them and for the demos. I've had four demos, some good, some not so good. I've met my best friends through them and their products are quality (mostly). A dear friend has informed me of the changes and in my opinion, they are not good. Customers are not rewarded for hostessing, demo's work too hard for their discounts and sets need to be sold SEPARATELY! Demos have to PAY for on line ordering! As we progress through stamping we all try new things, new techniques and new products and demos are severely warned, even top demos that using other products is a reason for termination. All they need is a good business manager (in light of the information I was given). This company could fly. For the demos out there, thank you for the fun years of learning! When children and grandchildren take over a company that was developed from scratch, they know how to sail a ship but do they know how to build one and make it float?

Last edited by stiz2003; 02-07-2015 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #106  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Oh, be still my heart! I adore getting together with my stamp groups! I have four right now! Three are SU. I don't attend all of them monthly. I have to admit that four is pushing it!!!

This month I will attend three of them, plus an extra Lawn Fawn class at my local stamp store. It's on a Tuesday afternoon, and I have a super flexible schedule at work, so I can arrange to be off be off off at 1:00 in the afternoon.

Also....when I order from my SU classes shipping is 10%. So if I order $30.00 worth of supplies it's $3.00 S&H. Works for me.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-08-2015 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:28 AM   #107  

Quote:

Thanks for asking. I AM disenfranchised. I think cutting those benefits to hostesses is the worst move they can make. And I watched every video every week hoping their would be a silver lining to all this. Never saw it. I see on the demo side that some bigger demonstrators are also dissappointed. But I DO love the matchy-matchy thing with SU and I do love their cardstock. I will likely stay with SU but just change the way I do things. I don't need another stamp set but I do need paper and ribbon. I have several "disenfranchised" friends who like the discount (which just barely covers the overpriced shipping and the sales tax) so we will work things out.
Thanks for your thoughts! Do any of us need another stamp set? :roll eyes: LOL! Just kidding, ha! I feel like I get a pretty good deal by being a demo (even with the changes) so I can see now how someone who didn't think that would be questioning everything.

I love (and need!) the matchy matchy thing too! :-) I think most of us will have to change some things but that's just how change works and I'm all for SU doing what they need to do to stick around I guess. Since I'm not working and we moved and I had a baby I haven't been able to buy as much or stamp as much or get any business going but I'm hoping I can at some time. Maybe that's why the hostess change isn't bothering me too much. I'm not ordering like I used to.

And this isn't quoting you�.but to those who have questioned Shelli's business savvy or lack of I don't think she's the end all be all of decisions. She has a whole team of people who help make the decisions probably just like my hubby's business. I think she's quite good having built SU out of her living room and keeping it as far as we know debt free! I just wanted to say that I don't think this is all one woman's decision. I really think she would be upset that so many people are upset about this. From what I've seen (I have met her personally) she is a super caring person.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:36 AM   #108  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I feel the exact same way! I am doing this for the discount ONLY. I do not want to be the person that tries to get everybody to buy things, have a workshop, join a club, etc. The discount barely covers the sales tax and shipping charges. Of course, I could get an additional 5% if I would up my sales by 50% per quarter. Um.... no.
They wouldn't need to go up fifty percent per quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #109  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Thanks for your thoughts! Do any of us need another stamp set? :roll eyes: LOL! Just kidding, ha! I feel like I get a pretty good deal by being a demo (even with the changes) so I can see now how someone who didn't think that would be questioning everything.

I love (and need!) the matchy matchy thing too! :-) I think most of us will have to change some things but that's just how change works and I'm all for SU doing what they need to do to stick around I guess. Since I'm not working and we moved and I had a baby I haven't been able to buy as much or stamp as much or get any business going but I'm hoping I can at some time. Maybe that's why the hostess change isn't bothering me too much. I'm not ordering like I used to.

And this isn't quoting you….but to those who have questioned Shelli's business savvy or lack of I don't think she's the end all be all of decisions. She has a whole team of people who help make the decisions probably just like my hubby's business. I think she's quite good having built SU out of her living room and keeping it as far as we know debt free! I just wanted to say that I don't think this is all one woman's decision. I really think she would be upset that so many people are upset about this. From what I've seen (I have met her personally) she is a super caring person.
I agree with you, but do have concerns and opinions that are a little different. Shelli may be a caring person, but she is primarily a business woman. Persona is a key part of the business savvy equation. She has not shared why the changes are being made, leaving us to speculate. It's sad the changes have been portrayed as somehow benefiting the demo, this strategy doesn't sit well with most. I am a diehard SU customer and willing to pay more to keep SU in business. I am concerned that the changes will negatively impact sales in the end. I think all demos need to start communicating their thoughts, concerns, and opinions to Shelli directly. I want SU to stick around too!!!

Last edited by Annecards; 02-08-2015 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 AM   #110  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I agree with you, but do have concerns and opinions that are a little different. Shelli may be a caring person, but she is primarily a business woman. Persona is a key part of the business savvy equation. She has not shared why the changes are being made, leaving us to speculate. It's sad the changes have been portrayed as somehow benefiting the demo, this strategy doesn't sit well with most. I am a diehard SU customer and willing to pay more to keep SU in business. I am concerned that the changes will negatively impact sales in the end. I want SU to stick around too!!!
I think there was some explanation at Leadership but I wasn't there so I can't comment. And yes, she is a business woman so she has to make hard decisions but I truly don't think she'd ever do anything to "try" to screw people over. She is one of the most genuine people I've ever met. Just my opinion, I know but that's what I think. That's just the way business works, gotta do what you gotta do. And I'm all for SU staying profitable. And as a person who doesn't like change and won't change things unless I'm forced (in life in general) I appreciate that SU isn't afraid to shake things up from time to time even if it doesn't work. Like when they went to the two catalogs a year. It didn't work so they fixed it but what if it was a great change and worked in their favor? They would never have known had they not tried it. I think a lot of companies (not just stamping ones) go under because they don't change things when they are needed. Just my two cents.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #111  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I think there was some explanation at Leadership but I wasn't there so I can't comment. And yes, she is a business woman so she has to make hard decisions but I truly don't think she'd ever do anything to "try" to screw people over. She is one of the most genuine people I've ever met. Just my opinion, I know but that's what I think. That's just the way business works, gotta do what you gotta do. And I'm all for SU staying profitable. And as a person who doesn't like change and won't change things unless I'm forced (in life in general) I appreciate that SU isn't afraid to shake things up from time to time even if it doesn't work. Like when they went to the two catalogs a year. It didn't work so they fixed it but what if it was a great change and worked in their favor? They would never have known had they not tried it. I think a lot of companies (not just stamping ones) go under because they don't change things when they are needed. Just my two cents.
Now that's a terrific response, you're two cents make a lot of sense. If the company is negatively impacted, SU sales stradigy will have to change again. I totally agree!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #112  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

I don't think this is the same thing as trying out 2 catalogs a year. I have never seen a direct sales company try out a new demo/hostess plan that has reduced benefits, and then raise them again if people aren't happy or they don't work out as well as expected. This isn't "shaking things up" to try something new. It's a business decision to give away less and profit more. I'm not saying that businesses shouldn't be profitable. That's why they exist: to make money. Despite all of the mission statements that businesses offer, their primary goal is to make money. Otherwise they would be charities or non-profit organizations. There is nothing wrong with a business making money, but let's not forget that SU isn't a charity. Shelly Gardner is running a business for profit - primarily her own. She's probably a very nice person, but business is business.

All of that being said, I will still buy SU products if I like them. In fact, I have an order in right now. None of these changes will affect me directly, because I never place an order large enough to earn hostess rewards. However, I think they will affect the way many SU customers shop, and how much money they spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

We are talking ten dollars less in free stuff, and since it will now be based on a percentage within the categories you will be able to make more than 15 before jumping a level in benefits so the difference will probably be even less for a lot of people. Somehow, I doubt that Stampin Up is going to see a major loss in sales over this change.

If you are a customer, and really worried about this change I encourage you to sit down with your demo, and talk about the change. She can let you know how to maximize the new plan, schedule one last party on the old plan if you want, ect. I assure you the sky is not falling. If your demo is wuilting ask them if they know of a local demo you can contact, or check the demo locator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #114  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I think a lot of companies (not just stamping ones) go under because they don't change things when they are needed.
Tho I don't see SU going under, they have a business model that can't be inexpensive to maintain...having to pay demo's in a pyramid style, cost of catty,
higher shipping costs, etc. They're also faced w/a wealth of competitors springing up, particularly online, whose business models cost far less to operate. Until reading posts on this thread, I had no idea there are even more of them out there than I could have ever realized.

Since I believe SU does their own manufacturing of stamps, it'd be hard to make any cost-lowering changes there, tho I'd guess the photopolymers are cheaper to produce than the wood block variety.

SU's are already among the priciest stamping products out there, so raising prices across the board would be vastly unpopular & could result in reduced sales.

It would help SU's bottom line if there were things that only SU could offer. At one time, I believe what we all refer to as the "matchy matchy" element was unique to SU. However, now they're not the only ones offering it.

What's left? Lower the pay-out to demo's and customers from sales. I'm certain this element had to be what finally pushed my demo over the edge when she told me she'd decided to end her relationship w/SU. Numerous demo's have posted here re: the amount of time it takes to prepare for their events, particularly make 'n takes. If it were converted to an hourly wage, it'd have to be very low. Apparently now it'll be even lower once the changes are enacted.

Look at other papercrafting companies like K and Co, Inkadinkado, Jolee's Btq and even Martha Stewart Crafts. Not long ago they were stand-alone companies. They're now part of the EK Success conglomerate.

I'm merely speculating here, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the eventual goal of Shelly and her family would be to have SU acquired by a larger co. If they're headed to lose a large % of market share/sales because of their current business model, that's what they'll do to avoid going under. They are, after all, a business. Assuming SU were in a healthy financial situation at the time of sale, this could reap a hefty chunk of change for the family. As an example, they could become part of a conglomerate that owns a paper manufacturer, capable of providing cheaper costs than SU is currently able to access.

Personally I would hate to see the demise of the SU of today. However, I don't believe their business model has long-term sustainability in the face of current, stiff competition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #115  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

We are talking ten dollars less in free stuff, and since it will now be based on a percentage within the categories you will be able to make more than 15 before jumping a level in benefits so the difference will probably be even less for a lot of people. Somehow, I doubt that Stampin Up is going to see a major loss in sales over this change.

If you are a customer, and really worried about this change I encourage you to sit down with your demo, and talk about the change. She can let you know how to maximize the new plan, schedule one last party on the old plan if you want, ect. I assure you the sky is not falling. If your demo is wuilting ask them if they know of a local demo you can contact, or check the demo locator.
I doubt my demo is going to make one bit of difference. Let us not forget the jump in prices of stamps. The price jump combined with the decrease in hostess dollars is a fact my demo or any other demo cannot sooth over easily unless you're a diehard SU customer like I. That's just the hard cold facts, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #116  

I didn't say it was a good example lol! Just the first thing that popped in my head to make my point that they aren't afraid of change…like I am lol! I feel that is a weakness of mine and I appreciate that they change things from time to time.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #117  
Insane Embellisher

Per CTab: They wouldn't need to go up fifty percent per quarter

Let's see......... Bronze level is $300 a quarter........ $1200 a year in rolling sales and gets 20% instant income

Bronze Elite level is $450 a quarter....... $1800 a year in rolling sales and gets 25% instant income.

That's pretty simple math. I would have to increase my quarterly sales by $150 (which is 50%........ ) in order to get an extra 5%. NOT HAPPENING

I have known people who sold everything..... Pampered Chef, Creative Memories, Stampin Up, etc. etc. Believe me, people say "Here she comes. Wants us to buy something, join a club, have a party........ " and that becomes who they are to everyone else. I don't want to be that person. I don't care if other people are. It's just not me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #118  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Let's see......... Bronze level is $300 a quarter........ $1200 a year in rolling sales and gets 20% instant income

Bronze Elite level is $450 a quarter....... $1800 a year in rolling sales and gets 25% instant income.

That's pretty simple math. I would have to increase my quarterly sales by $150 (which is 50%........ ) in order to get an extra 5%. NOT HAPPENING

I have known people who sold everything..... Pampered Chef, Creative Memories, Stampin Up, etc. etc. Believe me, people say "Here she comes. Wants us to buy something, join a club, have a party........ " and that becomes who they are to everyone else. I don't want to be that person. I don't care if other people are. It's just not me.

I agree with you.
Fortunately I don't depend on my Stamping Business for income, So I can enjoy my hobby.
But for those that do run it as a business, and it is their source of income, I realize the necessity of promoting to everyone.
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #119  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I thought you thought you to double your minimums to make it to the extra 5% when it is only an extra 600 a year, which can be spread out any way you want over those four quarters. Sorry, I definitely misread what you wrote. That's the danger of reading with little ones running around.

Personally, I don't think it is that hard to get the extra six hundred a year. For me that is 2-3 workshops overs the entire year. I am definitely not the annoying direct sales lady, and it is very possible to be successful without becoming one.

Obviously every demo that is just in it for the discount will have to decide if ten dollars less in hostess benefits (less if you order more than 150) is worth leaving over. For me, I didn't join just for the hostess benefits. I would just be a good customer if that was all I wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #120  
Stampin' Fool

Will someone please explain to me why on earth everyone is stuck on hostess benefits alone. It's not just hostess benefits, but the combination of price hikes and the decrease in hostess benefits. If a demo doesn't think this is going to hurt their business, they're just fooling themselves. Customers will be spending less money. It's common sense and simple math, the combination is bad for demos and customers period. I can't understand why any demo would defend it. Everyone should be outraged.
Reply With Quote Likes