Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a best craft system and use drawers for my non-SU wood-mounted stamps. I label the drawers (Words - Birthday1(WB1);etc.) - I stamp off the words onto a sheet and mark the stamp so I always know which drawer it should go to when I'm done stamping. As I use my SU or other non-mounted stamps - I stamp them off on a page labeled with the category (BirthdayWB1) - note the set name or cling mount set - and keep the stamped off sheet in the drawer with my other stamps. So when I need birthday verses or inspirational or funny - I can pull only several sheets out from the drawer of that category and do a once over as to which I'd like to use. I've only done this for sentiments and there are so many great sentiments in the SU sets - but I too have so many that I can't remember which words I have and where the heck they are. In the course of organizing - I still have some in original box mounted - some in CD cases - where I cling mounted and some in zip locs - just the rubber. Now that I have this "mini" system I find it easy to add sentiments and I do that as soon as I get my order or bring my many random purchases into the house. I have found that when I add or stamp off the sentiments as I use them - I'm a little more relaxed then when I want to "organize" so much that I forget that the joy is in the creating.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #42  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTHView Post
ok, well if the cops haven't charged you yet, then I'm going to do that too!
So many times, I pull out an older set, and forget that there was a beautiful verse that went with it.
Yup, that's what I'm gonna do.....
I have been spending a bit more time now in my craft room, my husband just passed away 7 weeks ago today, and bit by bit, I'm getting some of my "spark" back, and this would be a GREAT project to do!
Thanks for telling me it's OK.. !:p
My deepest sympathy for the loss of your husband. I love my "decentralized" system -- hope you do too!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmoore1View Post
OK . Still don't have the guts to discard all those beautiful plastic cases the stamps come in. I'd have to come up with a project to recycle them.
I use my boxes for embelishments. I have chip board in one, die cuts, flowers etc.
Just as I typed this I thought of using the boxes to give sets of cards away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

I have kept a binder with stamped images of all my stamps....never even occurred to me to just scan them instead of stamping!!! Thanks for a faster way to "file"!!! In my binder, I have even placed a sample of each punch I have....of which I have way too many...but it makes it easier to to decide what I want to use for a card.....and a section for techiques or fold instructions, usually with a sample tucked in the page protector. A bit ****......but it makes my life so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Frames

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I know this might cause a gasp all across SCS-land :eek: but I recently took all the sentiments out of my stamp sets and put them all together by category. I'll start by saying that I don't have any intention of selling my SU sets. I too was always looking for just the right "happy birthday" or "thank you" stamp. I have one of those paper towers made of the wire cubes that I didn't especially like for paper (the corners always seemed to be getting caught and dinged). Anyway, I bought some 11 X 14 acrylic box frames, took out the cardboard insert and used the frames like trays. One frame fits great into one paper slot. All the Happy Birthdays into one tray, Thank Yous into another, etc and now I have a one stop shop for whichever sentiment I'm looking for. I know it's a radical idea, but it's working for me so far! ;)
Hi Stampin Sooz. Can you post a pic for us so we can visualize what you use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #46  
Inking Addict

I also have a xerox copy of the label before the stamps are mounted, that I keep in the case with the stamps. I have since made a copy of that copy and placed them in two notebooks, with dividers. Since I have over 200 SU sets plus SU wheels, and don't have a count of how many other company sets & wheels (and after reading these postings I'm not the only one that figures the person with the most stamp wins ). There is a big notebook for the SU sets & wheels, it is divided by Christmas sets, background stamps, word sets, wheels, etc. The second notebook contains copies of labels for other brands.

My first demonstrator was having a meeting with some of the SU bosses. She wanted to know if anybody had any suggestions for SU. My suggestion was they put two sets of labels with the stamps, one to leave whole and stick on the case so you know what stamps belong in that set. I have not heard anything back from her, about the idea or if she even remembered to bring it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

All this information has my head spinning. I knew I should have started a system when my stamping obsession began (some 300 SU sets ago). Thanks for sharing all the ideas. I may have to take the time and start seperating my sets. That would save lots of time for crafting and SCS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Because I have hundreds of retired SU sets, I've started *combining* sets in the largest SU boxes just to save space. 4-5 of the Hostess and SAB sets will fit in these boxes!

Something I started to do, but never finished, is to index just my sentiment stamps. I use cheap white cardstock (from Walmart, for example) and I'll write "Thank You" on the top. Then I'll stamp each "thank you" stamp on that sheet (and I know I'll need to add a second sheet!). I write which set it's from. It's hard to categorize the more "general" sentiments like "Delight in life". <g>

Another thing I started doing recently is to separate sentiments from sets that are mainly images. I do this only for my retired sets - I want my current stuff to stay as is until it's retired, so I can pull them out for Stamp Camps/Workshops and I don't have to worry about reuniting stamp families! <g> Also, there have been some sets that have various kinds of sentiments in them - can't remember the one I'm thinking of, but it has "think pink" and "boy oh boy" in it - it was from a Mini a few years ago. Since I have a granddaughter and another grandbaby on the way, and my daughters' friends have started having babies, I need baby sentiments frequently, so I'm putting all my baby stamps together. So I'll put those baby sentiment stamps in a box that has a baby set in it, but room for a couple more stamps.

When I make my BIG stamp index, I plan on cutting apart old catalogs - I have lots of those since I'm a demo - of course I don't cut up my ONLY copy of a particular old catalog!

Hope this helps someone!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanasnanaView Post
Hi Stampin Sooz. Can you post a pic for us so we can visualize what you use?
I'm pretty handy with the ink and paper , but a bit of a techno-phobe . . . but I'll give it a try this weekend. I might open up a whole new world for myself!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, my head is spinning as well. I use the extra large recipe cards and stamp the set on them with price and name, then I stamp the "word" stamps" by category. I just have these held together with the round rings. The few times I have deleted a set I pull out the card for it and then cross out the stamp in the word section so it is a little messy but I don't get rid of many stamps.
I love the fact that the actual size is right in front of me so I can see if it fits in a punch or where I want to put it.
The one thing I have done with the boxes from SU - I make a better label that I can actually read when searching, and I have some stickers that I added - flowers for mostly flower sets, Christmas stamp for those, letters for those with word stamps in them. I used to mark the retired sets when I was in an exchange that needed current sets only - but don't need to do that any longer. (the depressing day when the retired list came out no longer makes me cringe!)
I also like to print out saying and keep a cheap photo album with verses in it that I think I will use again. Those are filed by category.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilysuesueView Post
Here's what I do:

When I purchase a new set, I make 2 copies of the sticker sheet. One I put in a binder in alphabetical order by stamp set (and that's how I store them in my cabinet). The other is trimmed down and adhered on the inside of the front of the stamp box so I can see just what stamps belong in that box. If I forget to make copies, I just stamp all of the images on paper.

For sentiment stamps, I use a rolodex. I stamp the sentiments on a rolodex card and then write the name of the stamp set at the top. I have made categories to put them under (b-day, get well, love, wedding, thinking of you, etc). If a sentiment fits more than one category, then I stamp more than one card and file them in the correct category.

I used to have a binder w/pages for each category. I would stamp the sentiment and then write the stamp set name under it on the correct page. But, since I'm a demonstrator, I usually get rid of my retired stamps and I was having to mark through the retired ones and it was getting messy. This way, if a set retires, I can just pull out the cards that go w/that set and move on. If I decide to keep a retired set, I write 'retired' in colored marker under the stamp set name and file them at the end of the category they are in.

What's great about stamping the sentiments instead of just typing them in some file is that I can look through the file and find one that would fit the space I have or that would fit the punch I'd like to use. During my classes, if we're making a birthday card and someone really needs a get well card, they can flip through the rolodex and find a sentiment that would work in the same space and just let me know what stamp set it's in. Voila! Card is just what they need!
I really like your idea. I'm off to guy a Rolodex with extra cards this weekend! It will be a big job, but I will tackle it slowly, a little bit at a time. Thank you for sharing your system with us.

Have a happy stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Empty Plastic Clamshell Containers

This is one of those "it doesn't hurt to ask" posts

For all of you wonderful ladies that are no longer using the plastic clamshell containers that SU stamps come in:

Anyone that would be willing to send me one, I would really appreciate it. It doesn't have to be big, in fact I prefer small. The approx 5" x 4 1/4" one would be ideal. I'd like to get my Three For you Stamps out of that large turquoise metal tin and into something that doesn't take up so much space.

I'm sure I can find some ribbon, etc to send to you to express my gratitude.

Now back to the original topic:
I, like others, photocopy the sticker sheet first. One copy gets cut to size and goes in the clamshell. The other copy goes in a binder. Most of my design work comes from sitting down with the binder and looking at what I have. Just the other day I need a small stem and ended up getting it from Wild About You - otherwise I never would have thought of looking there. I don't have many stamp sets so this works for me for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #53  
Compulsive Stamper

I would very much like to separate my sayings stamps too. What do you do with sets such as short & sweet that come with little stamps like a heart, cup cake, etc. or Just B that comes with the letter B and sayings and words that go with that letter but also include a flower and a bee stamp? Do you just combine these miscellaneous images with other stamps sets? I fear if I do this before I know it I will get carried away and all of my stamp sets will be mixed up.

I might be okay with that too, but I think I need to take this in "baby-steps". KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I know this might cause a gasp all across SCS-land :eek: but I recently took all the sentiments out of my stamp sets and put them all together by category. I'll start by saying that I don't have any intention of selling my SU sets. I too was always looking for just the right "happy birthday" or "thank you" stamp. I have one of those paper towers made of the wire cubes that I didn't especially like for paper (the corners always seemed to be getting caught and dinged). Anyway, I bought some 11 X 14 acrylic box frames, took out the cardboard insert and used the frames like trays. One frame fits great into one paper slot. All the Happy Birthdays into one tray, Thank Yous into another, etc and now I have a one stop shop for whichever sentiment I'm looking for. I know it's a radical idea, but it's working for me so far! ;)
Great minds run together!! I too did a similar thing. Most of my stamps are wood mounted non-SU in the acrylic trays. I keep my SU in the cases. I stamped my SU sayings on CS and placed these in the appropriate drawer, Happy BD, Thank you, Quotes, Off the Wall, Baby, Wedding, etc. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Now you are really going to gasp!I recently UM all but current sets and alphabets. Now all of my sentiments are on storage panels together. Next step, stamp them all and put the sheet in clear plastic page protectors so I can read them. Some with poems and script letters are almost impossible to read in reverse.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Gasping -- with laughter!!! :mrgreen: I, too, have done the unthinkable and separated the sentiments from their rightful place in their designated SU box. And guess what I've discovered, the stamp police have not bothered to come to my house and demanded that stamps be put back in the boxes!!!! ;)

In all seriousness, it is one of the most productive things I've done with my stamps because I have immediate access to EVERY sentiment stamp that I own and I can choose, use and replace the stamp within seconds. No bumbling with boxes, checking sheets in a notebook and locating a set - I simply open the drawer for appropriate occasion and my entire inventory is there to see. It makes me smile everytime I use it, which is often. :cool:
I think I would love to do this, but I am scared to death of regretting my decision and even more scared of the stamping police!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTHView Post
ok, well if the cops haven't charged you yet, then I'm going to do that too!
So many times, I pull out an older set, and forget that there was a beautiful verse that went with it.
Yup, that's what I'm gonna do.....
I have been spending a bit more time now in my craft room, my husband just passed away 7 weeks ago today, and bit by bit, I'm getting some of my "spark" back, and this would be a GREAT project to do!
Thanks for telling me it's OK.. !:p
So sorry to hear about your DH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
I think I would love to do this, but I am scared to death of regretting my decision and even more scared of the stamping police!:-D
I promise to stop the stamping police in their westward march! ;)

In all seriousness, I did take one baby step first -- I put all the Little Layers pictures and backgrounds together, each in their own large SU clamshell box. And all the speckledy backgrounders (Fun Fillers, Background Basics, whatever else they're called) also into one large SU clamshell. When that worked and my personal stamping world didn't implode, I just went wild! Try it . . . you'll like it !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #59  
Cardstock Collector

A new subscriber here, I have been reading all your comments with much interest as I too have 100's of SU sets, plus others mounted and & unmounted. I have been stamping for about 9 yrs and you guessed have accumulated a LOT of stamps which desperately need cataloging.
I have a SU database with all their stamps available in it and just tried inserting an image as suggested....works a dream so I think this will be an excellent way to keep track.
Now I just have to set up a database for all my PB's, Art Impressions etc etc.

Thanks for the tip

Ellie in Australia
cardz4me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

I have about 70 sets and 30 individual stamps. I'm beginning to forget what I have also. A few days ago someone posted the idea of stamping on index cards and putting them in a file box...I thought I would do that. Like you, I hadn't thought about stamping them...ironic, yes! I'm kind of looking forward to this job. It will be fun to get out all my stamps. Putting them in binders as stated above is also a possibility...hmmmm. I'm also considering pulling all my sentiments and putting them in boxes by category, as someone else posted a few days ago. Lots of good ideas on here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Someone should come up with an excel sheet that has photos of all of the Stampin Up sets that have ever been produced, so we could personalize it by deleting sets we don't own and adding sets from other companies. I would definately pay for that! I have nearly 700 Stampin Up sets as well as hundreds of single stamps and sets from other companies. It would be too huge of a job to try to index them now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #62  
Glitter Guru

700?????????? Whoa! Well, I started my indexing the other day. I decided to go with actually stamping the sentiments on themed pages, and writing the name of each set underneath. I stamped the sets that are in clamshell boxes in brown, and I'm in the process of doing the ones in CD cases blue. I'll choose a different color for my clear stamps that are in different packaging. Thanks for all the ideas!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #63  
Kookie Creator

Wow Kiwistamper - 700 stamp sets!!! That is awesome. How do you store them all? I have half as many and can't seem to keep them organized nicely. I am blessed with built-in shelving, but there never seems to be enough room. You are right an excel listing would be awesome. I am computer challenged when it comes to creating those types of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I admit it, I'm an organization nut, but stamping everything into a notebook to look up to see what I have and then getting out the stamp set seems like making two steps in the future every time. Therefore--go ahead and get ready to gasp--I take apart all my sets and reorganize them by topic. I use the original clam shell boxes where ever possible, but not always for the set they came in. I have all my flowers together, but further separated into daisies, roses, etc. Same for trees, leaves, fruit, buildings, designs. Each large category is in a drawer or drawers depending on how many stamps I have of each. All sentiments are done the same. Thank you, birthday, holidays, are all in their individual boxes. I have purchased some of those plastic picture frames that work like trays and they have worked really well for my many heart stamps. This way I don't have to look in a binder, I just open the drawer and take out all the, say feathers, for the project I'm working on. It's how I stamp, too. I do a theme for the month, or occasion. I might do clocks/watches/timepieces for January. All birthdays that month get a card with that theme using as many different techniques as I can incorporate, as besides being an organizational freak, I'm also a technique geek. I will make a few of a style I really like while I'm at it for thank you notes, sympathy, get well etc. to have on hand. Sorry about my rambling, but I have never regretted separating my sets and love how they are all on hand for me. I do keep a list of what stamps are in what set in case I want to find out what some wonderful artist here on SCS has done with the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! I'm impressed. I wish I had the room to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I doubt it takes up any more room than keeping the sets together would, at least not with the storage I have. I don't have shelves, but drawers that I can stack the plastic clam boxes two deep. It would be the same no matter how I organized them. However, I can see that if people stack vertically on a shelf, that it would take less space to do it another way. I have a small room (about 10X11), but I just love it anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good evening. I am not a true Stampin Up lady. I only buy at rummage sales and DO NOT keep them as sets. But.....what I do, do, is, "in pencil", I write how much I paid for each stamp individually and if I KNOW the name of the set, I write both of them on the end of the stamp.

I was reading this set of posts and it got way too long to read all of them so I quit. If someone else posted this, I am sorry for the duplicate. :O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #68  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootsvView Post
Good evening. I am not a true Stampin Up lady. I only buy at rummage sales and DO NOT keep them as sets. But.....what I do, do, is, "in pencil", I write how much I paid for each stamp individually and if I KNOW the name of the set, I write both of them on the end of the stamp.

I was reading this set of posts and it got way too long to read all of them so I quit. If someone else posted this, I am sorry for the duplicate. :O)
I'm even more of a rebel, I write this info in pigma permanent marker on the end of the block. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes