Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #1  
Duchess of Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CASE'ing, Selling Cards & gallery questions!

This is a multiple question post, and I have NO idea where to put it, so here it is in General Stamping Talk for now!

I know there is a lot of discussion about case'ing someone's cards & whether it's okay or not. I've always tried to acknowledge the original creator, or at least acknowledge that I didn't create the design, just the card. I have a booth coming up at a craft type fair for my Pampered Chef business & I thought I might try to sell some cards while there. My question is, if you use elements from different cards, or make a card similar to, but not exactly CASE'ing, is it okay to sell? I would have no problem telling someone, "I didn't come up with the ideas to do such & such on here." I get SO many ideas on here, but normally don't have the EXACT materials anyway, so my cards end up being a mish-mash of other ideas, but not really a true copy of anything. Am I making sense with this question? Of course, I know about the Angel Policies of different companies & have already contacted companies to check on angel policies.

Next, if I am making cards to sell, can I put them in my gallery? NOT to say they are for sell on SCS! Just to have them there? I'm pretty sure I've seen people show stuff they will sell at a craft fair.

Okay, I THINK that is it! THanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

In my opinion, a CASE is when one sits down to literally copy item by item to make a duplicate. "Oh, what a fun fold," or "love using the ribbon for a tag that way!" to me is not really a CASE. If it makes you feel better, lol, you might do what I do, which is vary my "handstamped" stamp depending on circumstances. One says "designed by" while another says "created by." I know...splitting hairs, but sometimes it's enough to make ME feel comfortable, kwim?

What was the second question, lol? Oh yeah! Cards in the gallery... well, I've seen more than a few cases where people selling cards on ebay "store" the images here on SCS even though they do not participate as members. With 17,000+ posts, lol, I don't think you'd fall in that category, do you, lol? Don't worry about it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #3  
Duchess of Dork

Thanks, Betsy! That does help. Maybe it's an OCD thing with me & wanting to make sure I do it RIGHT! LOL!

Yeah, I'm pretty new around here & just drop in to sell stuff! tee-hee! Can't believe it's been over 4 years---and that you were here before me! It's funny to think back to the "old days" sometimes. I remember when they first made an "everyday chitchat" section & for the first time we had a "stamping" section & a "chat" section!

I feel better about this now. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #4  
Duchess of Dork

Oh, yeah, the angel policy stamps I have say, "Stamped by...." or "hand stamped." Now THAT is the truth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I say go for it! You're not making exact copies. So CASE away and good luck at your sale! (And my personal opinion even further - even if you WERE copying a card you saw online, who REALLY REALLY REALLY has copyrights to a card they've created and posted on the web for public viewing and inspiration. And why would anyone WANT to try and control that - isn't that why we post stuff online - to inspire other people!!! People just get too picky sometimes. You're not printing their directions, removing your name, and adding your own. That would be different! Ok, nuff said, LOL!)

And yes, I wouldn't hesitate to show off my creations in my gallery if I was going to sell them at a craft fair.

Last edited by IMBlessed5; 09-29-2008 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Even if it was an exact copy...as long as you dont claim you made it yourself there should be no reason you cannot use it. I normally will put handstamped on it with nothing else so I am not claiming credit other than it is handstamped.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef MamaView Post
Thanks, Betsy! That does help. Maybe it's an OCD thing with me & wanting to make sure I do it RIGHT! LOL!

Yeah, I'm pretty new around here & just drop in to sell stuff! tee-hee! Can't believe it's been over 4 years---and that you were here before me! It's funny to think back to the "old days" sometimes. I remember when they first made an "everyday chitchat" section & for the first time we had a "stamping" section & a "chat" section!

I feel better about this now. Thank you!
Its 'cause you're a dork!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #8  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggysueView Post
Its 'cause you're a dork!
Takes one to know one! And I'm glad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I had the same concern - was thinking of putting togther sets of all occasion cards to sell, but I am not a demonstrator - just a hobby, looking to help out with expenses.

Is it ok to do this? I am not familiar with the angel policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

You do not have to be a demo for any company to sell your creations. But definitely check the angel policy with the stamp companies that you are using. Their angel policy will tell you if you can sell items made with their images for profit, if you need any certain "copyright" image stamped on your project, or if you have free rein to do whatever you want with their images. Most of them do state that the images MUST be hand-stamped and not mechanically reproduced (like photo-copying).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have a problem with someone caseing me exactly and then selling the cards... as long as they aren't at the same craft fair as me ;)
Reply With Quote Likes