Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Cased Cards

I just had someone case one of my cards for the 1st time and I am very excited! That is a nice feeling, thanks lesliespringer!

So I went off to the gallery and cased 2 cards myself, one from Vonnie64 and one from sleepyinseattle. Thanks to everyone for all of the inspiration!

Don't you all think it is just the best compliment to have a card cased?
I do, just wondering how everyone else felt.

Isn't there a saying that says "Imitation is the best form of flattery", or something like that :-D Well, I agree!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

That is all I do is "case" other people's cards. I feel a little like I am stealing someone's ideas...My MIL's Mother's Day card is from LodiChick. I am thinking I should not only post I love the card, but that I made it for someone special because I liked it so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I love being able to look through all the cards for inspiration. Sometimes I case one exactly how it is, sometimes I use an element or layout on them.

I do always, like you laides have done, is point out who did the card that I cased from

It's great to see one that someone else made because your creation inspired them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, thank you so much for posting a Beautiful card for me to case!! You have a Beautiful gallery! When I saw your card I know that was the one to make for my mom. All so made a second one for my hubby's mom. I just have to allow more time for stamping. It took me over 3 hours to make those two cards! Two loads of laundry, vac & mop the down stairs, clean the kitchen and 6 phone call later the cards were done!!
I LOVE SCS! The inspiration here is Amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer
Well, thank you so much for posting a Beautiful card for me to case!! You have a Beautiful gallery! When I saw your card I know that was the one to make for my mom. All so made a second one for my hubby's mom. I just have to allow more time for stamping. It took me over 3 hours to make those two cards! Two loads of laundry, vac & mop the down stairs, clean the kitchen and 6 phone call later the cards were done!!

Ok if you can do all that in three hours will you come teach me how?????:shock: :shock: :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #6  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Ok if you can do all that in three hours will you come teach me how?????:shock: :shock: :shock:
Three days maybe...:eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
Three days maybe...:eek:
I know right???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I LOVE it when someone CASEs one of my cards... okay, it's only happened once that I know of, but I was really flattered... until I noticed I wasn't even mentioned and the person didn't bother to comment on my card, which kinda hurt my feelings.
But I was still flattered, anyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
I LOVE it when someone CASEs one of my cards... okay, it's only happened once that I know of, but I was really flattered... until I noticed I wasn't even mentioned and the person didn't bother to comment on my card, which kinda hurt my feelings.
But I was still flattered, anyway...
I'm with ya here! I LOVE when people CASE my stuff, but I do like to see my name mentioned in the comments! I mean if you are CASEing it, then you have the original right in front of you and now the gallery adds the creator's name to the filename. There isn't really any excuse not to name the original creator.

That said, I do get TONS of inspiration from SCS too. So I know I might have seen a technique, or element, or LO on here, but can't remember who made the original. I always try to find it, but sometimes I can't. I can understand if that's the case. (no pun intented LOL)

Just try to give credit where credit is due!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

maybe a category added to the gallery for cased cards would be awesome!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
The 2 cards in 3 hours I can do. It's all that other stuff....... I think they call it housework.:-D
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I tell you, I am so tired today! I was hopping yesterday! I thought I took to long doing all the "chores". Guess the 4 cups of coffee helped out some. Not much of a coffee drinker. I could use another caffine kick today! I have to make some cookies for the teachers lunch tomarrow. I could use a nap right now! I was thinking about buying a bday card for my dad instead of making one. Needs to be in the mail like yesterday! Maybe, start a card while the cookies are in the oven?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
I'm with ya here! I LOVE when people CASE my stuff, but I do like to see my name mentioned in the comments! I mean if you are CASEing it, then you have the original right in front of you and now the gallery adds the creator's name to the filename. There isn't really any excuse not to name the original creator.

That said, I do get TONS of inspiration from SCS too. So I know I might have seen a technique, or element, or LO on here, but can't remember who made the original. I always try to find it, but sometimes I can't. I can understand if that's the case. (no pun intented LOL)

Just try to give credit where credit is due!
I agree with you but sometimes when I see a card I like I just jot down the layout and the colours of it very quickly. Then I make it later on. I guess I should also jot down the name of the card's creator. OK, next time I will do that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too love the inspriation here. I have cased alot of cards...sometimes altering them a bit and sometimes not. I just haven't posted them. I wasn't sure how people would react if they saw their hard time spent on a card just to have someone case it.
Now, I'll post more cards that I case and I'll be sure to give credit where credit is do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Oh I get the whole "inspiration" thing... but the one I'm talking about was really pretty obvious (maybe only to me). I too get inspiration from everywhere, and usually if I get inspiration from more than 2 cards, I consider it an "original" and don't credit the creators, but if it's from 1 or 2 then I always try to credit. Should I credit if I get inspiration from more people?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
Oh I get the whole "inspiration" thing... but the one I'm talking about was really pretty obvious (maybe only to me). I too get inspiration from everywhere, and usually if I get inspiration from more than 2 cards, I consider it an "original" and don't credit the creators, but if it's from 1 or 2 then I always try to credit. Should I credit if I get inspiration from more people?
IMO we all get inspiration here and its when we create a nearly identical cased card that credit really does need to be given. If you attach your ribbon the same way as "abc" but on a totally different color combo and stamp set, is it cased or inspiration? Not trying to be a smart butt, but trying to understand. I always want to give credit where it's do, but wondering what others think?

I usually get ideas here, but have not yet created an exact match of somebody's work. Now I'm starting to worry if I've cased and not realized it??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer
Mop??? Ya mean the floor isn't supposed to be sticky??? Uh Oh :oops:
Old 05-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

This is always a touchy subject.

I think if you use an element (like the ribbon example) then it's inspiration. However if you use the same LO, same set, same embellishments, but a different color combo, then it's a CASE.

Here's my card
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

And a CASE'd one

Personally, I don't think anyone is going to "hunt you down" and force you to give credit. It's just the nice thing to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I don't have a gallery yet, so I get inspirations (private casing), make cards, and send them...

But, I am going to start going back and making a comment to the people in their comment areas, so they know that the card was that special, and it inspired me to use their ideas, perhaps with either a different stamp set, or different colors. I think the ones that are creating original cards deserve that.

When, I can create on my own, (which would take me 4 hours per card, sleep on it, and another 4 hrs the next day!), then I will have a gallery of my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
I don't have a gallery yet, so I get inspirations (private casing), make cards, and send them...

But, I am going to start going back and making a comment to the people in their comment areas, so they know that the card was that special, and it inspired me to use their ideas, perhaps with either a different stamp set, or different colors. I think the ones that are creating original cards deserve that.

When, I can create on my own, (which would take me 4 hours per card, sleep on it, and another 4 hrs the next day!), then I will have a gallery of my own.
I agree with you there! I have to admit, I don't always leave a comment (but usually I do), but I do give credit.

I am usually CASEing other people's cards, so when I make an original that I'm proud of (especially when it took me FOREVER), I'd love for someone to acknowledge that I inspired them! It really ISN'T a BIG deal, it would just really make my day for this to happen -- I also think it's really important for new stampers. I know someone who got their first CASE a while ago, and she wasn't too confident about her card-making abilities. It seemed to really boost her confidence!!

Everyone needs validation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

If I flat out CASE a card, I rarely upload it. I put in the comments that "I'm gonna CASE your card!" A lot of my cards have bits of inspiration in them and I hunt like mad for everything that I was inspired by and give credit, sometimes even with links like I did with my most recent "Inspired" card: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
If I can't find my inspiration, I at least own up in the description that I saw this someplace, but just can't find it. And I really like it when someone CASEs my cards and mentions me in their description. Makes me feel proud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #22  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
IMO we all get inspiration here and its when we create a nearly identical cased card that credit really does need to be given. If you attach your ribbon the same way as "abc" but on a totally different color combo and stamp set, is it cased or inspiration? Not trying to be a smart butt, but trying to understand. I always want to give credit where it's do, but wondering what others think?

I usually get ideas here, but have not yet created an exact match of somebody's work. Now I'm starting to worry if I've cased and not realized it??
I was thinking the same thing! I hope I haven't CASEd a card and not even known it. I have (so far) made a comment about the one I am CASEing and then I put the name of the person that I CASEd it from on my card. I say "so far" since I haven't been here too long and haven't cased too many cards, yet.
I used different colors and ribbon, etc. but I still put the name of the person that inspired me...guess this is the right thing to do

this is the one that "inspired" me:

and here is my version:

It is different because I didn't have the same ribbon and I added some flowers and used different colors but I still feel like it is a CASEd card...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hate this subject, lol. So many feelings tend to get hurt.

In my view, if I sit down with a card opened up at my desktop and literally re-make it, exact everything, that's CASEing. That's the only circumstance that could be called a CASE imnsho, lol.

I see so many cards anymore where the maker credits so-and-so "for the way the ribbon is tied" and so-and-so "for the color choice," etc., that I am TRULY saddened. We all get inspiration from the world we live in...dress fabric (ok, maybe that's just flakes like me?), Better Homes & Garden magazine layouts, papercrafting layouts, etc.

If you "CASE" from one person, are you sure that you are giving proper credit? Where did she/he get the inspiration? It's getting ludicrous.

This is a place for sharing. I hate to see people get so nervous about uploading their work for fear of being called on the carpet.

All that said....I have had a card cased, and it WAS flattering. Only she took it a little farther and I actually wound up preferring her version, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #24  
New Mommy

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts

I LOVE to be CASE'D!!! And, I love it even more when the person pm's me and let's me know so I can see their version. I know not everyone will take the time to do this, but I like it a lot and I do the same
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

You certainly could get redundant thanking everyone because you used the same color cardstock they did, or you tied a knot the way they did, but.... But, if you basically copy a layout(like I do), and have it in front of you(like I do), I think it is great to let that person know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Letting others know you have cased a card, well, it's like telling all us, wow, great card, so much I made one too! It's a compliment! You should be ticked pink!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree. I would be flattered too. It shows someone really likes what you did. I case all the time, my dh even teases me about it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

You said that very well, Betsy -- I'm with you 100%.

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I hate this subject, lol. So many feelings tend to get hurt.

In my view, if I sit down with a card opened up at my desktop and literally re-make it, exact everything, that's CASEing. That's the only circumstance that could be called a CASE imnsho, lol.

I see so many cards anymore where the maker credits so-and-so "for the way the ribbon is tied" and so-and-so "for the color choice," etc., that I am TRULY saddened. We all get inspiration from the world we live in...dress fabric (ok, maybe that's just flakes like me?), Better Homes & Garden magazine layouts, papercrafting layouts, etc.

If you "CASE" from one person, are you sure that you are giving proper credit? Where did she/he get the inspiration? It's getting ludicrous.

This is a place for sharing. I hate to see people get so nervous about uploading their work for fear of being called on the carpet.

All that said....I have had a card cased, and it WAS flattering. Only she took it a little farther and I actually wound up preferring her version, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes