Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Carson Convention

Hi Ladies,

Anyone else attend the Carson, CA convention this past weekend? Anyone else disappointed in it? I was excited that there were new vendors, but VERY disappointed that some of the old ones chose not to attend. I was also surprised to see that one whole hall of the convention center was not used as it usually is. Are these conventions getting smaller cuz there are so many or because the cost of attending is sky rocketing? I just know that this is the 'premier' convention on the west coast and I was deeply disappointed. Anyone else?

Jeri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

I was disappointed too! It was very strange not having the west wing open. I missed some of the regulars, but was glad printworks was still there, all though I missed some of their goodies that they normally have. I did win a raffle, so that was nice, although the stamp i got really isn't my taste. I did get some free cardstock from judikins though!

I heard the owner of the Rubbernecker telling someone that she wasn't going to be back next time, because the fees were so high. I think that is why a lot of vendors haven't been coming back.

It sure isn't the same convention that it used to be, that's for sure. I do happen to still spend lots of money though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile carson convention

Yes I went, and althougth I was somewhat dissappointed, I thought Thank Goodness. I almost had to mortgage the house because of all the stuff I bought!!!! LOL I did speak to one of the vendors and she said that it is getting smaller and smaller every year.. I also LOVE printworks and dropped a bundle at their space. What did you all buy!!!!!

Bea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

A lot of the vendors I know have all been saying the same thing, "Sales are way down!" Many are cutting back on how many shows they do because it is too expensive to make it worth their effort. Besides the show fee they have to factor in travel, lodging, meals and shipping. The numbers really add up. It's also a lot of time and work on their part so a "so-so" profit from the show just may not be worth it to them.

No one seems to have a sure fire answer as to why the sales are going so far down.... economy, too many local stamp stores, too many chain stores, too many conventions, not enough "new" stuff to keep the seasoned stampers shopping, a shift from stamping to scrapping, an increase in internet shopping.. the list goes on and on but no one knows for sure.

In my area we have had a ton of local stamps stores as well as all the big name craft stores. Some of the LSS have been closing. I also think we are saturated with conventions. One of the conventions comes twice a year and there is another just a few miles away that comes once a year. Then there is a third one about 100 miles away. I've heard the second one may be gearing up to be a twice a year show. All this makes me less excited about going to the conventions. It use to feel like a big event and I didn't want to miss one because it would be a long time until I could get to the next one. Now it's more like going to the stores at my convenience except I have to pay $6 to get in the door. Once inside I don't feel like there is much that looks new and exciting. I don't know it that is because I already have so much or if the companies really are becoming stagnant.

My guess is that Carson is suffering from the same woes as all the other conventions. Let's hope it hangs on and the future gets brighter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I completely forgot about the convention this year. I love to go to the Printworks booth, too. They usually have some good deals there. Was this year different??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I wanted to go down to that one but I just could not justify the long drive and the high gas prices on top of that. I figure maybe it is because it is summer with everyone away? Anyway I will be going to the Scrapbook Expo that is closer to me in Ontario, CA. So that should be fun.
The Angel Company Demonstrator #1260
Team Leader of The Elegant Diva Stamp Angels!
Email
Reply With Quote Likes