Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Be careful of this e-mail!

I just got an e-mail from someone asking me if I would order some SU products for them and they would send me a check. They don't use credit cards because they always "lose" their wallet! I called SU because they have had these warnings on their site before and it sounded similar. Just want to warn any of you so you don't become a victim!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

I received the same or similar one today as well. It includes several misspelled words with very poor grammar. I marked it as "junk" and let it go "poof". ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttemby - Are you a demo? There are a lot of threads in the demo forum about the bogus emails we receive through out DBWS website. If you are not a demo that is so strange they would contact you to order for them. Definitely don't!

It really bothers me that some people have nothing better to do than scam innocent people.

I remember the first one I received through my DBWS. I was so excited when I saw I received an email and then I read it. I would love to have new customers but when you get those kind of emails it is such a let down. Bad bad people!!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, I am a demo I just don't subscribe to the demo forum here (not real computer savy).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I would love to help you figure it out but I can't even remember how to do it. I did it about 6 years ago but can't remember how.

These emails seem to be from the same source. They ask for specific products and they can't pay by credit card (usually because they are deaf) and would like to send a check as payment. On the demo forums when this comes up we wonder what being deaf has to do with using a credit card. It's really annoying.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

?? Why would being "deaf" prevent someone from using a credit card? Gee I could come up with a better scam than that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Joan, yep, most of the "customers" in these scam emails are deaf! It's pretty funny, actually! Not that being deaf is funny, just that this is the excuse they gave. I even had one say she was "deaf and dumb" - I considered writing back that I knew she was "dumb", but doubted the deaf part! I got another one this morning:
Hi, i am Serah by name i would love to order some Stampinup products through you, i have tried ordering from some local consultants here but i don't like the way they respond when they realize that .i would love to order some products through you and i will be so happy if you could be of help. You can send me a text to this number (281) 816-7463 but the best place to get through to me is via emailso please get back to me as soon as you can.
Serah
Lots of these scams come from Nigeria - and I know people spell names differently, but isn't Sarah usually Sarah and not Serah? :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #8  

You really should join the demo side. There is a LOT of talk about this and so many other things over there! It's easy. There is a button on the left side of your screen that says join a group. Click it and it will let you pick SU demo forums and follow the directions! Hope to see you on the other side! You'll get way more answers to questions over there!

And I got a funny one this morning with just terrible spelling and grammar and unfinished sentences! It started as Hi, I am Serah by name, just like Susans, lol!!!!! I'm going to start saying Hi, I'm Mindy by name, lol!!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Just for grins and giggles you can trace where the email originated from. Just follow these directions.

I knew someone who was attempting to online date but all she was hearing from were losers. Of course she didn't believe me because they were telling her what she wanted to hear -- in decent English, but the sentence structure and content was all wrong. Needless to say, she was pretty desperate herself and it showed. It wasn't until I could show her, time and time again, that they were all scammers -- from Nigeria, Egypt, Eastern Europe, etc. I even showed her how to do an image search -- and sure enough, some of these guys had even lifted the image of someone else off the internet.

The light finally went on, and she has abandoned her online search. Maybe one day she will find someone, but it won't be online, unless she fine-tunes some of her online communication/detective skills and deals with some of her own personal issues.

Last edited by Susan_Stasel; 10-10-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
?? Why would being "deaf" prevent someone from using a credit card? Gee I could come up with a better scam than that.
The only thing I could come up with is not wanting to/being able to use a credit card over a TTY relay-- I am sure the operators are supposed to adhere to some code of conduct, but I don't think I'd want to relay my cc that way either.

Of course, that doesn't really hold up once you account for, you know, the interwebz, but that was the best explanation I could come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
The only thing I could come up with is not wanting to/being able to use a credit card over a TTY relay-- I am sure the operators are supposed to adhere to some code of conduct, but I don't think I'd want to relay my cc that way either.

Of course, that doesn't really hold up once you account for, you know, the interwebz, but that was the best explanation I could come up with.
Here's something more for you to ponder - I used to work at a call center for a catalog company that carried a LOT of items that were apparently very attractive to the sort of people who would steal credit card numbers. (Knowing this, the company was VERY aggressive with verifying that the cards were legit - sometimes to the point of cancelling good orders because they weren't able to get in contact with the cardholder). We had plenty of orders placed with credit cards over TTY relay - and almost all of them were fraudulent. Customers who actually were hearing impaired just ordered from the website I'm thinking that it was foreign scammers who thought that the TTY relay would hide their accents. Thing was, the company sold tons of items internationally - an accent wouldn't have made any of the operators think twice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #12  

Scammers are just trying to play the sympathy card and hope some unsuspecting person will feel sorry for them. There is almost always some kind of sob story along with these emails from sickness and cancer to being "busy" planning a wedding and the deaf one among others.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #13  
cms
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who is very familiar with the Deaf community, I have to jump in here. I'm glad you all realize that these scammers are NOT deaf; they're just using it as a ploy. Also, I don't know of any deaf person who still uses a TTY (although I'm sure there are some still out there). There are new technologies that make a TTY nearly obsolete. Years ago there were "peddlers" who would try to get money by saying they were deaf. They usually had cards with the ASL alphabet printed on them. These people weren't deaf either! This kind of thing always makes me livid. It's also easy to tell these emails are a scam because a deaf person doesn't use the term "deaf and dumb"; that's as bad as using the "r" word for a person with Down's syndrome. It's just so sad that there are so many scammers around.
Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents!
Jimmie Johnson #48 fan! KS Jayhawk alumni!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
Joan, yep, most of the "customers" in these scam emails are deaf! It's pretty funny, actually! Not that being deaf is funny, just that this is the excuse they gave. I even had one say she was "deaf and dumb" - I considered writing back that I knew she was "dumb", but doubted the deaf part! I got another one this morning:
Hi, i am Serah by name i would love to order some Stampinup products through you, i have tried ordering from some local consultants here but i don't like the way they respond when they realize that .i would love to order some products through you and i will be so happy if you could be of help. You can send me a text to this number (281) 816-7463 but the best place to get through to me is via emailso please get back to me as soon as you can.
Serah
Lots of these scams come from Nigeria - and I know people spell names differently, but isn't Sarah usually Sarah and not Serah? :-)
I got this in my e-mail this morning:
Hi, i am elena by name i would love to order some Stampinup products through you, i have tried ordering from some local consultants here but i don't like the way they respond when they realize that i am deaf.i would love to order some products through you and i will be so happy if you could be of help. You can send me a text to this number (281) 816-7463 but the best place to get through to me is via emailso please get back to me as soon as you can.

I did the trace based on the directions Susan posted below ~ looks like this e-mail originated from Redmond, WA
Proud Fan Club Member

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Last edited by uvgotcarla; 10-29-2013 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: added to original message
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another One

Interesting ~ There was yet another sent today. New as a demo, but wondered what the Fancy Friends set was. . . . .Between current and retired, don't seem to find it. Notice towards the end, she states she's deaf and when I traced this one? Redmond, WA again yet she's in Missouri:

Hello and how are you doing today, My name is Mrs Smith Morgan and i work at a daycare I will like to order some product for the kids project for X-mas seasons greeting card and i was told by a friend of mine that Stampin Up as a lot to offer and told me all i need to do was just to contact a rep to help me work things out i have get through all this product and i love them i will like to make you my new Rep..hope to read from you soon thanks and God bless you ..

below is the item i did like to order from you :-

8 Set Of Qty:Fancy Friends Kit 132319 Price: $15.95
8 Set Of Qty:Holidays Sweet Pressed Cookie Stamps 132292 Price: $10.95 $8.21
10 Set Of Qty:Paper Pumpkin Try It Kit 132600 Price: $16.95
10 Set Of Qty:Brights Classic Stampin' Ink Refills 131162 Price: $24.95

Kindly get back to me with your full name and contact address and the total price of my order and shipping charges as my financial clerk will be sending you a bank cashier check or money order for the order cos i don't operate credit card or debit card as soon as i hear back from you .. the check will be delivered to you via fedex/USPS so you can process my order ASAP... your phone number will also be needed as i am a deaf woman and will need to text you if i need anything .. i guess i did not tell you about that before .

Here Is My Shipping Address
2016 Jacob lane
Farmungton Missouri 63640

Note :- i will want you to receive payment before placing the orders thank you
Proud Fan Club Member

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #16  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts
Default This One Includes an Order!

This is really becoming more frequent, IMO. Here's a new version that I received today ... It even includes "an order". ***shakes head*** And notice that everything needs to be asap!

Hello, My name is Mrs Lowery,I was going through your Stampin Up store online and find some nice product that i will love to order from you .. Payment will be made to you via Bank Certified Check or Money order so let me know if the mode of payment is accepted, as i do not operate credit card and i am a deaf woman, i'll also tell my friends about you so that they also can patronize you.

THIS IS THE UNIQUE PRODUCTS I WANT TO ORDER

(1) QTY 2.....

Endless Wishes Photopolymer Stamp Set 133455
Price: $13.95

2) QTY 2....

1-3/4 Inch Scallop Circle Punch 119854
Price: $16.95

(3) QTY 2...

Pop & Place Holiday Gift Tags Bundle 135921
Price: $19.95

4) QTY 2...

2013-2015 In Color Cardstock & Pad Kit 131204
Price: $29.95

I am gonna need you to kindly get back to me asap with your Total price,full name and contact address so that i can have the full payment sent to you asap so that you proceed with the order asap.I hope to do more business with you in the nearest future and hope to read from you soon.Below is my address for the shipment :

1616 Hillcreek Dr
Garland, TX 74043

Sincerely,

Michelle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default Scam Email

Here is the email that I received.

Jennifer Robinson [email protected] via cloud.webnx.co.in

9:24 PM (22 hours ago)

to me

Hello and Good Day,

Calvary greetings in the name of the Lord.I was browsing through the Stamin Up website, and I am interested in some products listed up for sales, I realized I could place order through a representative on the site instead of buying directly with Credit Cards, as I don't use Bank cards or Credit Cards,"Not Good for me" because I always misplace my wallet. All I need is to confirm if you can help me out while I use a Check as the means of payment.

Please get back to me as soon as you get my message so that I can forward the List of items I want you to order for me..

Write back soon and have a Good day Ahead
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

That's exactly the e-mail that I received that prompted me to start this thread. I then received another one from someone different the next day. It really irks me when they put a religious tone to the message. I sure hope no one gets caught off guard and gets used by these people. Why don't they put the energy they put into these e-mails into finding a "real" job instead of trying to scam innocent, good people?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I received that exact same email.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I often get e-mails( nothing to do with SU products) telling me I am the person named in the will of *************, to take charge of their estate & administer it, I will get X amount as payment, if I just forward my details , yes, including bank info, to someones e-mail. Or that I have won x amount in some international lottery.
I often wonder how many people get caught by these.
One to beware of, by the way, is the phone call from Microsoft, explaining that you have computer issues, they can fix it for you,will cost you 'x', just need your credit/debit card info for the payment. I actually know someone who fell for it, as well as getting their credit card scammed, it cost them �130 to get their pc put right after they'd done what they were told.
Reply With Quote Likes