Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cards for hire

Hello! This is my first time doing this, but I wanted some feedback from the many experienced stampers out there. A clientof mine, I'm a massage therapist, always buys cards from me and she asked me to make her Christmas cards this year. I think the quantity is around 50. I've done some research, but wanted to hear what the stamping community thinks how and what I should charge. Do I charge by the hour and for supplies? Or do I charge per card when they are completed? Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated. I want to be fair, but don't want to overcharge or give my cards away. I usually get $4 per card or sell them as 3 for $10. Thanks so much for your wisdom and guidance on this subject. Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

First off it's good to collect info from those that have been there. I've never sold in boxes of 50 - I've sold packs of 10 and the price varied from $7.00 = $25.00. Here are my thoughts:

You can never charge by the hour beacuse the cost would be too high. You have to consider this to be a way to make some money at doing something you love.

You always want to recoup your supply cost. It's best not to put costly embellishments. Try for enhancing the card with less expensive products that the card some pizazz. Think embossing powders, glitter, inexpensive ribbon, fantastic design, etc.

Consider that the cards will probably be mailed so keep them flat to save her on postage.

If you've never done what I call production work (making the same card over and over) it gets boring really quick so make sure your design can be done quickly. This means using any tools that you have that save time (sizzix, cuttlebug embossing folders, cricuit, punches, etc). You don't want to do a lot of intricate cutting.

Use nice quality paper but perhaps not "the" most expensive.

You might want to do a couple of prototype/samples of different price ranges. But make sure you can get or actually have enough of the supplies to make how many cards she orders. Nothing is worse than having someone order something that you can't get. The different sample allows her to pick a price.

I doubt she has considered that even at your discount the price would be pretty high. If you go with CAS (clean and simple) you could do the cards for $1.00 - $1.50 each. It still pricey but she is getting a unique product. The simplest thing is to ask what is her budget. If she says $25 then you may want to consider if it's even worth it. It would be nice if she says $100 + then you make some decent money. Some may say don't sell yourself to cheaply and charge $2.00+. It's all about no letting someone take advantage of you.

The last bit of advice don't do this unless you have the time. If you have gifts you want to make, parties, baking, etc. you just might not have the time and instead of enjoyring the process it might become a nightmare. Best luck on whatever you decide....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, what great advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

That really is great advice! It is so nice be able to ask experienced people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

stamphappy1650 Wow thanks so much for the advice, it was extremely helpful. I especially like the idea of making a few different samples with different price ranges. I made 80 cards to send out last year and vowed I'd never do that many again, but then I wasn't making any money off of myself. Thanks again for the very helpful info. Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

You're not kidding! Thank God for this website and it's resources.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

What great advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I absolutely second the idea about samples ... let her select the one she likes best, based on the price. I've done this before - 3 samples, 3 price ranges. The least expensive (CAS for sure) was mailable at regular rate. We went up from there!

A good rule of thumb... cost of supplies x3 to compensate you for your time.

And by all means, keep it fun. Just remember - someone posted on SCS about an order she did for holiday cards and she made 2,200 of them!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_PattiView Post

And by all means, keep it fun. Just remember - someone posted on SCS about an order she did for holiday cards and she made 2,200 of them!

Glad I could offer some suggestions -- ok but 2,200 cards - Holy Cow Batman -- no way, now how..... did she post some pics? I think if I tried to 2,200 of anything I'd need to sniff some glitter first .... boy I sure hope she was paid well!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It was me that made the 2200 cards. It took awhile

Here are a couple of suggestions for you now that I've been through something that big:

1. Keep it simple. And I mean simple. Depending on the number you're making, you could be at this for awhile and you need to like the design. You absolutely want to make them on an assembly line as the process is infinitely quicker than if you don't.

2. Let them make the choice, but give the customer samples in various price ranges. I gave the company six different samples, with six different prices, and they made the decision based on what was right for them. Since I'm an SU! demo, I wanted to make the cards with SU! supplies as I would then get the commission for them. This was factored into the price.

3. When putting together the quote, make sure you've accounted for EVERYTHING (I did), and add a bit of cushion for error.

4. If you're making a lot of cards (and 50-100 isn't really a lot), don't add glitter. You end up wasting more than you use because the stuff doesn't stick that well when you're handling them.

5. Find good, cost effective adhesive to put them together with. I splurged and bought an ATG tape runner for this project, and it was sooooo worth it. The cost savings on adhesive was enormous, and I know that the cards won't fall apart.

6. You need to consider how much you want to earn to make these cards. The quote that I sent in for the card that the company chose was about double the cost of materials. Because it was such a large order, I could get away with charging a bit less per card. If it's a small order, I think that 3x is probably the better way to go. My original order was 2000 cards, but they came back at the end of September and asked for 200 more. That completely threw me off because I was almost finished the original order, and the cards were made using Kiwi Kiss paper, which was retired in June. So, the cost for the remaining 200 was higher on a per card basis than the original 2000. I think in the end I made about $25/hr to make the cards.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, and the pics can be found on my blog in an entry from late September or early October. I can't post a link here to my own blog, but someone else added the link in the other thread.

I've officially banned Kiwi Kiss from my house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

As far as using cheaper supplies, BEWARE! I quoted a price for a business for Christmas cards a few years back using cheaper white paper for the sentiment inside (as opposed to my fave ultrasmooth TAC white). When I started stamping, I noticed how much it bled and looked really tacky. I compared it with the same thing on TAC's paper and KNEW I couldn't let the cheap stuff go out with my name and reputation on the line. So...I used the good stuff, but didn't make as much $ in the long run since it cost me more per card.

Just use caution... ;-)

(Yes, I had done a few samples in a few price ranges.)

Oh, and I cannot even begin to imagine 2000+ cards. Yikes!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I make 50-100 cards for a couple of local businesses, and I charge $5 a card. Period. I use GOOD PRODUCTS because those babies are going to be handled, and NOT with care, and at that price, I can afford to buy the good stuff!

With nice, high quality products I get more referrals every year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Considering what a nice Hallmark card costs, I think anything under 5.00 a card would be selling yourself short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

The boredom factor is a serious element to consider. I made 50+ invitations for my wedding earlier this year and I got so bored with it. You think because it is big event that you will really do something special and I ended up with something very complicated to produce and I got so, so bored with it. When it came to producing the thank you cards afterwards, I went for much simpler but it still felt like a chore churning out the same thing dozens of times and I struggled to finish them. One small way round this is to make something that you really like to begin with, that helps to keep your enthusiasm for the project. One year I made lots of scrapling Christmas cards and although the design was essentially the same, I often changed little details which kept my interest in the card and I still like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

My experience has been that when it comes to Christmas, because people need a lot more cards they aren't prepared to spend as much per card as they would for a one-off. So I would go with the suggestion of offering two or three options and letting your client choose, according to her budget. Even at 3 cards for $10, which sounds good to me, that translates to $166 for 50 cards, and some people might find that too high. Drop that to below $100 and I'd wonder was it worth it. Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erin.....There are many things to consider in deciding what to charge for your cards. First, the area you live in. In many parts of the country, you would get more for the same card than you would in other parts. I don't feel you can charge by the hour...your cards are a product charged by the piece, your massage business is a service which is charged by the hour.

I do feel many people overcharge for their cards. A card is just that.....a card, it is not a 3D gift as a handmade sweater would be. You can make a very nice and tasteful card without putting every kind of embellishment on it that you have in your supplies. I also feel the cards should be kept to a mailable size and weight. Making cards that you know will require more postage I feel is deceiving unless you honestly inform the person what each card will cost to mail.

Just my opinions.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, 2,200!! I had an order of 200 cards a couple years ago and thought I was gonna die by #40. LOL

I definitely agree with previous posters...don't do it for so little money that it's not worth your while. It definitely gets tedious doing mass production, and simpler is definitely best. I also think the sample route is a great one...give her some options of more intricate, detailed cards for a higher price, but allow her to choose her price range.

Figure your cost for supplies, envelope, etc, and let that help you decide your price points. It can definitely be worth it - that order paid for my Christmas that year! So go for it, and don't sell yourself short!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I charge $2.50/card or $3/card with envelope. This is the same charge for any of my cards, any time of the year.

I think if doing a large order I would vary the design or color scheme or something and not necessarily making them all the same, but have 2 or 3 designs.

I would also bring an example of your Christmas stamps so they can choose the sentiment they want for the inside/outside of the card. I have a binder with my Christmas stamps all stamped in the same area, then you can see exactly what it looks like and can choose. See if they have a preference for which image or style. Samples are a great idea for visual wow, so they can really see the quality of what you do.

Have fun and good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I charge $3.00 per card for everyone and every card...I make good money doing it too. I sell thousands of cards per year...good luck ladies...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MingoView Post
Oh, and the pics can be found on my blog in an entry from late September or early October. I can't post a link here to my own blog, but someone else added the link in the other thread.

I've officially banned Kiwi Kiss from my house!
Here is the link:
http://www.wendyslittleinklings.com/...day-cards.html

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you're ever in a situation where you have someone willing to put in a big order, consider checking out some of the sites where companies can order their holiday cards. If you're able to compete with their pricing, and still make some money, you'll do fine. The problem is that even though companies may like our handmade cards, they're not willing to pay our prices.

It's a decision that you, and only you, can make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If you're ever in a situation where you have someone willing to put in a big order, consider checking out some of the sites where companies can order their holiday cards. If you're able to compete with their pricing, and still make some money, you'll do fine. The problem is that even though companies may like our handmade cards, they're not willing to pay our prices.

ITA! I charged $4.00 per card on my big order, which included a printed image by an artist (the cards were for his customers), a custom printed insert, sewing, stamped envies, and clear envies. It was a very simple card, but I wanted to make sure it was worth my time. They wanted hand crafted cards, and thankfully they were willing to pay for them. I don't think I'd have done it for less...what a pain! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

like I posted earlier, I sell mine for $5 each. The companies that I make cards for tell me stuff like, "I had a long-time customer call me to thank me personally for the Christmas card they receieved. It's been 20 years and I've never spoken with them on the phone until today!" And many other stories just like that one!

That's why companies will pay for handmade cards. It really makes the difference, and REALLY fills you with the Christmas spirit. Don't sell yourself short!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I am just starting to sell cards, and one thing I often hear from people is that my cards are still cheaper than those in the card stores in the mall. In the Boston area we have a store called Papyrus and some of their cards go for $7 each! I agree, do not sell yourself short!

I think it's also important to consider how important word of mouth is. A local store has offered to sell my cards for about $1 less than I charge friends and family ($4 vs $5) but it gives me more exposure; I put my email address on the back of each card hoping people will contact me. I am hopeful that it all works out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Another thought - if you have a friend who likes to stamp, maybe she can help you. I had a friend who was a SU demo, and occasionally took orders for invitations and the like. She'd give me an order at her cost for my time for helping her out. We sat for an afternoon, put on a good movie and kicked them out. No boredom there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
Considering what a nice Hallmark card costs, I think anything under 5.00 a card would be selling yourself short.
I totally agree with Michelle! If someone commissions me to design a card, it can range anywhere from $15 to $25, depending on many factors! The only way I would charge less than $5 per card would be if it was a computer/Photoshop generated card where I did the design and then they were all printed on my inkjet printer!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I charge $3 per card and probably should be charging more. I feel that I make decent cards, but only manage to sell a small handful at craft shows. :( I feel if I hiked my prices there would be no buyers. Trial and error, I suppose.

With that said, I was just Goggling companies that sell manufactured cards to businesses and the ones I saw were at least $5 each not including shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know $3.00 might not seem like much to many but I feel the price point is right for me. I get so much repeat business and since making cards is what I love to do I am very very happy. The money is great!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the cards you ladies sell mostly A2-sized cards (4.25" x 5.5")? I've had feedback that these are too small to be compared to Hallmark cards that get the higher prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberneckerView Post
Are the cards you ladies sell mostly A2-sized cards (4.25" x 5.5")? I've had feedback that these are too small to be compared to Hallmark cards that get the higher prices.
I've done square cards too. But remember, I think in the states the shipping charges go up when you're mailing odd-size cards. Where I am (Vancouver, BC) I don't get charged extra for mailing square cards..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I know $3.00 might not seem like much to many but I feel the price point is right for me. I get so much repeat business and since making cards is what I love to do I am very very happy. The money is great!
blessings.
Amber - you've found what works for you and that is amazing!!! So many people strive to find their niche, and you've found yours. Congrats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

The key in all of this is that you have to do your research. Find out what will work for you in terms of mailing, stamping, gluing and pricing. It's NOT going to be the same for everyone. What will work for one will not work for another. If you're in a small town, and the options for purchasing locals cards are limited, you may have more luck than those that are in a big city.

I live in a metropolitan area that has 7-8 million people within an hour's drive of my house. There's lots of competition. I was willing to accept a lower value per card in exchange for my name getting out to 2200 people. Next year my price will be a bit higher, but not so much that I'll lose the business.

Just keep talking to people, and getting your name out there. I had lunch today with a friend who knows what I do, but didn't realize that I do custom cards. She and her husband own a business that has 500 clients. It's the 4th of November, but she may be ordering cards from me for this Christmas. I'm already trying to get my ducks in a row in case this comes through because I will have to make between 300-500 cards very quickly. Am I going to turn this down? No way. My first big batch of cards are going across Canada and to a few offices in the U.S. The cards we were talking about this afternoon will go around the world. With my e-mail address and blog address on them.

Stay positive, use high quality materials, work everything through on paper to ensure that you're making money at it, and if you're looking to market yourself to businesses, put together a portfolio. Make sure they know that you're willing to do thank you cards, birthday cards, congratulation cards, holiday cards, and any other kind of card you think they may want.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I sell most of my cards for $3 each. I do consider the audience (ie, seniors) and have sold them for as little as $2. I figure I get my material costs back, grow my business and earn some money to buy more goodies. I sell only about 50 cards a month average. As long as I am continuing to have fun and support my ever-growing habit--- I'm happy.

Business is continuing to grow as word of mouth gets out there. I decided that I don't want the commitment of a full time job, so I only sell in small numbers.

If you enjoy doing it and can make a little extra money--- go for it!

Fan Club Member
My Neglected Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I'm curious about the card size also. I've found that most people consider A2 a "note" size card, and they want something bigger for birthday, Christmas, wedding, etc. Wendy (Mingo) and others, what sizes are you selling?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Cool Getting paid to make cards

I am just starting out in this venture of selling my cards, and am charging $1.00 per card in Manitoba. This might seem like very little to other stampers, but that's what I think they are worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make ONLY a2 size cards. Because I have so many venus to supply: troops, church, swim teams and recently the youth at my church for a fund raiser twice a year, I need to be able to make lots and only buy one size of white envelopes. This works pretty well. You should see the boxes in my stamp room all labeled for the different things. Oh and a box for the hubbys desk too.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Stampin Erin,
Keep us updated on how this goes for you and what you've learned going through this the first time.
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 302 Posts

I havent even tried to sell any cards yet, although I've had offers to buy. But I make my cards A7, which are more comparable to commercial cards. I bought envelopes pretty reasonably online a couple of years ago, so matching envies wasnt an issue.
Mostly I make selections of various cards and bundle them as gifts. Lots of people say that I should sell them, but pricing has been the question for me, so this thread is interesting.
I agree with many others here: be able to mass produce and be aware of boredom, weigh profits with getting your work out there and recognized for the future, and be know your local area price point, prices are very regional.

Best of luck and be sure to share how it all turns out!
-Darlene

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

When I'm commissioned to design a card, I make the larger A7 size and I also make my own custom envelopes to match....these are the ones that I sell for $15 to $25, depending on the design. I don't believe I would take on a job of "mass producing" cards by hand, no matter what someone was willing to pay, because I KNOW I would get very bored with that!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes