Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card Recipes

Can anyone help me here. I would just like some basic card recipes.. like sizes of mats.. etc... Not sure if I am explaining myself right..but would like to make some cards and not have to think about the different mat sizes..and just pull everything together with my own dp and cardstock..

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

For a standard A2 card, I usually use a mat of 4" x 5-1/4". when ever I mat something, I do it 3/8" larger than what I'm matting. hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I know this may not be what you want to hear but I have been where you've been and you may just have to get the ruler out and jot down some measurements. I have been a Stampin' Up! demonstrator for years and finally began writing down measurements on stickies that I put on my personal card samples. All you need to do is do it once but be sure to put those measurements in a place you'll remember, LOL!

For instance, as Roxy said, if you start with an A2 card or "quarter" card, we know that the card front is 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" no matter if you are using it horizontally or vertically.

How I start is to measure my first mat (whether it be card stock or background paper) at 1/8" narrower on EACH side. Keep doing that and you'll come up with something that looks like this if you were to mount each piece on top of one another:

Card = 4.25 x 5.5
1st layer = 4 x 5.25 and each layer would be 1/8" smaller on EACH side which means you deduct a total of 1/4" (1/8 + 1/ from each measurement (WHY does that second 1/8 have a smilie face with sunglasses??):
3.75 x 5
3.5 x 4.75
3.25 x 4.5
3 x 4.25
And so on...

Does that help?? Put some measurements on a Post It Note, tack it to your stamping area desk or at the bottom of your computer screen and use it for easy reference till you can do it automatically.

And have an alternate list with a larger mat. Let's do each one reducing by a total of 1/2" (1/4" on each side) for a different look...

Whatever you do.. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default thank you

Your right; not what I wanted to hear! lol.. I always have good intentions..jotting down measurements..but I have been so unorganized and scatter brained lately (might be the menopausal symptems lol) that I jot things down in too many different places. I am making myself a goal right here and now to keep a journal of sorts..with different mat sizes for different cards.. thanks for the "push in the right direction"
Quote:

Originally Posted by Star StamperView Post
I know this may not be what you want to hear but I have been where you've been and you may just have to get the ruler out and jot down some measurements. I have been a Stampin' Up! demonstrator for years and finally began writing down measurements on stickies that I put on my personal card samples. All you need to do is do it once but be sure to put those measurements in a place you'll remember, LOL!

For instance, as Roxy said, if you start with an A2 card or "quarter" card, we know that the card front is 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" no matter if you are using it horizontally or vertically.

How I start is to measure my first mat (whether it be card stock or background paper) at 1/8" narrower on EACH side. Keep doing that and you'll come up with something that looks like this if you were to mount each piece on top of one another:

Card = 4.25 x 5.5
1st layer = 4 x 5.25 and each layer would be 1/8" smaller on EACH side which means you deduct a total of 1/4" (1/8 + 1/ from each measurement (WHY does that second 1/8 have a smilie face with sunglasses??):
3.75 x 5
3.5 x 4.75
3.25 x 4.5
3 x 4.25
And so on...

Does that help?? Put some measurements on a Post It Note, tack it to your stamping area desk or at the bottom of your computer screen and use it for easy reference till you can do it automatically.

And have an alternate list with a larger mat. Let's do each one reducing by a total of 1/2" (1/4" on each side) for a different look...

Whatever you do.. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subscribing so I will remember to make a sample card. I think I'll just cut all the mats, write the measurement on the border of each, then stack them and band them. Then all I'll have to do for a new card is pull out the mats and play around with the sizes. Great idea!. For the original poster - you're looking for recipes, right? Try the challenges - I don't do them myself (I'm not organized enough), but they do give you the layout ideas, even though they don't include the measurements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first started creating greeting cards, I kept all the specific information for measurements and such on my computer. I create a different document in MS Word for each category. I'd never be able to keep track of a bunch of little sticky notes. I find it easier to keep all the information on my computer. I also don't hand write since I have a computer at my fingertips.

I like my mats a bit wider, so I make the first mat (for an A2 card) at 3.75x5. inches. Each layer is 1/4th inch smaller than the previous.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes