Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default card pricing question - please help!

Hi,

It seems as though $2.00 each/6 for $10.00 is a fairly common pricepoint for cards, however, (and I know this is probably a very silly question), I am not sure if these prices include matching envelopes. If not, how much extra should I charge and how elaborate should they be, (is a plain envelope in matching cardstock enough or should it be stamped also)? Thanks very much in advance!

Kristine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

If I was buying a card, I would expect the envelope to be included. Plain would be okay, but a small matching stamped image or a quick wheel across the envelope would be a nice touch.

I haven't sold any cards, so I can't comment on the price you listed, but would expect that it would vary depending on the complexity of the card. I do advise that you make sure that your price adequately compensates you for your time and effort. You shouldn't be giving either of those away!

ETA: You must have the most patient cat on the planet! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I sell my cards for $2.50 each and I add a little matching stamp to the envelope. I've already sold 40 cards in the last two months. Have fun!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I sell my cards for $3.00 each......they do include the envelopes..usually slightly decorated.......

Lori
Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the info, guys...

I have 25 cards to make - when you sell yours in quantity do you discount your prices at all? One of my samples is very labor intensive, (lots of cutting), but I can't believe I could get away with selling 25 at more than $2.00 each. What do you think?

Kristine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

hmmmm... iam wondering how you find people who buy handmade cards.

i gave the other day two of my sons teachers each 6 cards. one teacher came to me and she said how nice the cards are and that i should sell them. i thought she just makes me a complimet.

but i wouldnt mind if i could sell just a few cards a month. not to make money, just to get the feedback that they like my work.

so how do find people???? through work, through your husband, through your kids school???
do they asked you???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi, Claudia,

I got started by making some birthday invites for a friend. I didn't charge her anything, just told her that if anyone asked about them, to refer them to me, (thinking that I would get some new SU hostesses out of it). As it turns out, people liked the cards but wanted to buy them instead of learn how to make them. Go figure!

Kristine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by grin and stampy
Hi, Claudia,

I got started by making some birthday invites for a friend. I didn't charge her anything, just told her that if anyone asked about them, to refer them to me, (thinking that I would get some new SU hostesses out of it). As it turns out, people liked the cards but wanted to buy them instead of learn how to make them. Go figure!

Kristine
wow... that turned out great!!! congratulations!!!

did you post this card in your gallerie??? iam courious.
if you make cards to sell... how much cardstock do you use? just asking because i made 2 days ago 10 cards for my first cardswap and used from my favorites a card as a reverence. boy ... i noticed when i started how much cardstock some cards just needs. lot of layering etc plus i used the su cardstock for the base of the card too. i think this is a big part to consider when selling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I keep a basket of cards I made on my desk at work for various things (birthday, thank you, get well, sympathy, anniversary, etc.) and sell them for $2.50 each with a plain envelope, but tucked inside a clear envelope for protection. They are simply to moderately decorated. After doing that, I started to get requests for special or bulk orders. I normally still charge $2.50 per card, even on bulk orders. I don't really make much money on them, but a little extra here and there always helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreasitzman
I keep a basket of cards I made on my desk at work for various things (birthday, thank you, get well, sympathy, anniversary, etc.) and sell them for $2.50 each with a plain envelope, but tucked inside a clear envelope for protection. They are simply to moderately decorated. After doing that, I started to get requests for special or bulk orders. I normally still charge $2.50 per card, even on bulk orders. I don't really make much money on them, but a little extra here and there always helps.
still... it covers your costs for cardstock and you have the feedback they like your work. when i sent my cards to germany they have noooooooo clue how much this stuff costs.

my mom used to say... well then just make one of your own cards. you know with that undertone... homemade stuff is soo much cheaper than buying. yeah right!!! not to talk about that i have to look to have the time for stamping with my two little ones.

usually i get no feedback for my cards. my husbands comments are usually cute or nice :???: go figure
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I have had some departments come to me at work and order thank-you cards, etc. They are very willing to pay for the materials and $2.00 per card on top of that. I don't charge them for the adhesive/etc. - just the paper. Normally a few layers involved - but when I do it assembly style it doesn't take long. When people donate thousands of dollars to a University, a quality handmade card with a handwritten statement seems to work!! When I sell at craft fairs is is $2.50 each or 5/$10.00 - I sold about 200 cards last craft fair season and that was my first year stamping!!

Carmen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay...

I just uploaded my first two cards to the gallery. It might seem like a strange combination, but the lady said she wanted to combine train and water themes. This is all I could think of!

Kristine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by grin and stampy
Okay...

I just uploaded my first two cards to the gallery. It might seem like a strange combination, but the lady said she wanted to combine train and water themes. This is all I could think of!

Kristine
They're great! My favorite is the beach theme - great layering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

they are great.
i put an comment on your cards directly.

iam still not brave enough to start my own gallery. i usually just chase card ideas from here. seems i have no creative ideas my own
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

All of the cards I sell have plain envelopes (white or cream, depending on which matches better). I sell through special orders and at craft fairs. At the fairs, I do put them in clear envies to keep them protected.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

laura,
what a great web site you have!!!!
looks very neat and it is inviting to stay longer and look arround!

congratulations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

I sold my cards last october at a craft bazaar at my work. I sold them for $1. I think I shorted myself on the $ part. Now I would go $1.50 or $2.00 because my cards now have more detail. At the bazaar I sold about 40 cards over a 10 hour span. Which wasn't great, but I wasn't promoting bulk ordering like I could have. I mentioned it to a few people, and got a 90 card order the next work-day. I didn't lose $ actually, the $90 paid for the stamp-sets and supplies needed to make the cards (I used card fronts from a holiday mini swap as examples of what I could do bulk orders for). So the way I saw it they were paying me to make the cards, and in return I got to keep the stamp sets! Funny thing is, Jenny (the girl who ordered them) admitted she had both sets! She just didn't have the time to make them! LOL! I thought that was funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreasitzman
BTW - this is a great idea! I need to start doing this. TFS this idea!
Reply With Quote Likes