Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card Pricing??

Hi! I'm sure this has been addressed already, but I haven't found it (yet), so I'm hoping I can get some ideas from all you experts! =)

I have a couple of craft fairs upcoming and want to make sure I'm pricing my cards in the general ballpark. Of course, nobody is going to make any 'real' money at handmade cards, especially when you factor in our time, but I'd sure love to hear your experiences with card sales.

My DH has been out of work for about a year, so I found myself selling personalized notecard sets last Fall. Did okay, I guess...I think from about mid-October until Christmas I netted about $450, but I practically lived in my craft room (on top of a fulltime job and two other p/t ones!). Although I started with almost 100 individual cards, it seemed the monogrammed notecard sets were the hot sellers. Alas, not enough ready-made inventory ~ too many custom orders. Trying to prepare better this year. Hoping I'll be in a position to sell just what's already available and trim down the custom jobs.

Anywho, I'm hoping to sell more of the general cards this year. Might bundle some into sets (2 BD, 1 get well, 1 Thinking of You; etc.). I've been selling my cards for $3 each, generally. Really detailed ones I've sold for $4, but most are $3. The four-card notecard sets (packaged in clear boxes) generally sell for $12 - $15, and eight card sets for $18 - $20. All my envies are stamped to match the design on the card.

These were the A2 size...but I read the recent thread about the larger sizes selling better, so I invested in some larger cardstock and am now making most my cards 5.25 x 7.25 (A7?). I always package individual cards in clear protective covers.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Many thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Question hey kitkat

What size is your larger CS? I'm thinking of making larger cards alo and I was wonderin where you buy your supplies, such as CS, clear envies, and regular envies. What will you sell the larger (A7) cards for?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
What size is your larger CS? I'm thinking of making larger cards alo and I was wonderin where you buy your supplies, such as CS, clear envies, and regular envies. What will you sell the larger (A7) cards for?

Jutta
Jutta: I found some really awesome, heavy white cardstock at my local Papers Plus. It's 100# stock, and it looks/feels just like my beloved lux 8.5 x 11 cardstock from PTI. It's 18 x 14, I think, so I can easily get two cards from one sheet, plus lots of extra for stamping. I have to score this in order to get the center fold to look crisp, but it's worth it. The ream of extra large paper was about $30, if I remember correctly, but it will last me forever! I also found the A7 envies at Papers Plus. I didn't get the really nice ones that I usually prefer (with the squared flap), because they were significantly more expensive. But I found some that are just fine for about $24 for a box of 250. Not too bad. Now I just need to figure out what to charge......

OH! And as for the clear covers, I usually buy them from a local online company for a reasonable price. In fact, I think the A7 sizes were recently on sale. Still need to purchase those and will probably shop around for the best price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually sell for $3.00 each and I make a few thousand every Nov and Dec. I hope you make a lot!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

oops..I should clarify..I only make the 1/4 cards and they are what I sell for $3.00 each...sorry. And I purchase my clear envelopes from myself. I have several sizes including clear card jackets so you can see the inside of the card.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Wow!! Where do you sell your cards at that you make a few thousand?? I need to go there!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I usually sell for $3.00 each and I make a few thousand every Nov and Dec. I hope you make a lot!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustBecauseView Post
Wow!! Where do you sell your cards at that you make a few thousand?? I need to go there!!
AMEN, sister! I'd love to have that kind of business!!

I'm expecting poorer sales this year from my two craft fair booths. One is at the California State university where I work (campus furloughs and layoffs causing everyone to watch their dimes) and a local retirement community. While everyone LOVES the handmade cards and will ooh-and-ahh over them, it seems like everyone is buying their cards at the Dollar Tree (2 for $1 ~ and they look like it too!).

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Have you tried selling your cards on Etsy? They are cheaper than Ebay. Its $.20 to list an item and 3.5% of final value. It isn't a bad way to get started considering you can reach all of the US! However, you are competing with other crafters on there with amazing cards of their own. I would like to find out where I can sell cards for thousands!! LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
AMEN, sister! I'd love to have that kind of business!!

I'm expecting poorer sales this year from my two craft fair booths. One is at the California State university where I work (campus furloughs and layoffs causing everyone to watch their dimes) and a local retirement community. While everyone LOVES the handmade cards and will ooh-and-ahh over them, it seems like everyone is buying their cards at the Dollar Tree (2 for $1 ~ and they look like it too!).

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes