Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default card makers vs scrapbookers

Is it just me, or is there a big difference between scrapers that make cards and people that make cards and don't scrapbook? It seems that scrapbookers make cards less about art and more fun..and stampers are SO artistic. I'm a scrapbooker turned stamper and I just feel like I can't make such beautiful cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I am both a scrapbooker and a stamper. I can be either "artistic" or "fun," depending on my mood or the recipient of the card. Some of my scrapbook pages are more artistic too. I just depends.... Most of my cards are stamped, but I do use my Cricut to make some cards as well. I don't think stampers are necessarily more artistic than scrapbookers, and vice-versa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm sure for some, but for me, nope. I would LOVE to get the scrapbook bug... I've had good intentions on that for so long! In fact, that's how I got into card making.... a failed attempt at becoming a scrapbooker. I don't feel at all artistic. I admire scrapbookers for the drive and determination to see a book through to the end. I think I have way too short of an attention span where this hobby is concerned... I get bored with on topic....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't scrapped in a while but want to get back to it. My scrapbook style and card style are pretty different. Scrapping, to me, is mainly about the photos and the journaling, so those are my focus. My pages are still clean and simple, but they often have dp on them, which I almost never use on cards. Cards, for me, are not about story-telling. They have a focused message and clear focal point (well, usually) and are all about the stamping.

Interesting question.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Oh goodness, I'd have thought that some of my favourite scrappers make what I would have called artistic cards. I've always liked to see cards made by people who are primarily scrappers - it's a shame you don't have a gallery, because I am sure I'd love what you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

I make cards and scrap, both involving stamping. I tend to make quick cards and spend oodles of time on each scrapbook layout. Sometimes I make "artistic" cards but I would rather spend that time scrappin. Every stamper is different and has their own style and favorite things to make.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they are the same except the scale the projects are on

Ive made cards that look like scrapbook pages and scrapbook page or two that has card elements on it! I think a lot of people are a bit versatile
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm with you, magnipotent1. I can sit down and scrapbook without a problem but when I sit down to make a card my mind is totally blank. I think it's because with scrapbooking I have photos to create around and with cards it's starting with a blank slate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a stamper that makes scrapbooks once in awhile. When it comes to style I switch artistic hats. There are things I use in scrapbooks that I rarely use on my cards like die cut images and stickers, however, I do use the techniques I use on cards on scrapbooks.

Not to offend anyone but I'm not overly fond of the style of cardmaking where a card begins to look like a scrapbook but this not to say I haven't made cards that are in that style, it's just not my first choice. I'm old school I guess but I enjoy techniques.

I am very thankful for scrapbookers because it were not for them I don't believe we would have all the wonderful papers, embellishments, tools, etc. that we have now.

For those that may have problems with making cards, try changing your focus to learning a technique and then incorporate your work into a card. Several of my card ideas are based on my playing with a technique and then using the pieces I like into a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I do both card and scrapbooks and to me it's all stamping. I use stamps in my scrapbooks, in fact, pretty much anything I use on my cards I use on scrapbooks. The only difference is the use of photos.

I really agree with one of the posts above that said with a scrapbook layout you have something to work around, but a card is a blank slate. I think that's why I enjoy doing both, I like giving myself a different starting point once in a while.

Oh, and I started scrapbooking before I made cards, and with the exception of the first year, I've always used stamps in my scrapbooks.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I started as a scrapbooker years ago and resisted the stamping. I knew if I started if would create a monster and I was correct. My cards are more about stamping and my scrapbooks are more about paper. I don't mix the two very often. I also find that card classes at my LSS and that is scrapbook are more about using up the pattern paper effectively for your cards. I don't really consider myself doing art but what I like to see, lol.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

i have only ever made one scrap page for a group im in, where everyone made a scrap page about themselves and we then had them all made into one book for a group members birthday gift as he is soo generous to us all.
i found it sooo difficult to do so i have stuck to my cardmaking, i dont tend to stamp very often either although i will be getting my new pepper and freinds stamps out soon for my christmas cards that is after i have made about a dozen or so cards using my new embossing folder that arrived today

Last edited by tracyandgirls; 11-13-2010 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: errors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I like to use ideas from cardmaking to make scrapbook pages; conversely, I will look at a scrapbook page and gain card inspiration. Depends on the situation and what I want as the end product. I like doing mixed media, and will use mixed media on my cards and scrapbooking; fabrics, fibres, strange colour mediums, odd pictures and stamps, papers and stuff. It doesn't always work out, but as they say, the journey is more important than the destination. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I love to do both. I think my style for both is similar usually. When I scrapbook, my focus is the photos and journaling. Everything else is icing on the cake. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I started out as a scrapper then I turned into a card-maker. My styles are similar with my scrapbooking being a little more "dirty" than my card-making.. I think I am artistic at both, but that's just me!! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I sarted out scrapping, then turned to stamping for a few years, this year I have started scrapbooking again. I like to think my cards or scrapbook pages can be both artistic and some days it's all about the fun stuff.
I do not use as many stamps on my scrap pages but I sure use plenty of dp on my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Many years ago, the girls at work were big into scrap booking. Having 3 kids and tons of pictures around, I thought I'd giver it a try. I have bunch of pages put together, but none in books. I then got invited to a SU workshop and it's been cards ever since. I suppose I should get back to the scrapbooks, but I just can't get into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love this topic! I think I scrap booked first. I made a pretty cool scrapbook for my oldest son when he graduated high school. I knew nothing! But the stores had everything! I organized his pictures from baby pages to graduation. Then I went to the scrap book store and bought everything I needed. I made that book in two weeks time. It really tells a nice story! It's not magazine pretty but it was pretty cool. I think that put the little thought in my head that I could make cards too! It took me a few years and a friend who asked me if I wanted to go to a Stamp Camp. I went. Boy did that hook me and reel me in! I became a card maker shortly after that. I thought I was just a card maker. Then my middle son asked me why I didn't make a scrap book for him that was like his brother's! Wheww did that make me feel bad! So I started on his scrapbook fairly recently. It's coming along nicely! I have a third son, and yes, I will be doing his soon too. Not only that, but I want to make a neat heritage collage for my in-laws. I also want to scrapbook our family tree in heritage style. I think I am more artistic with my cards. With my scrapbooks, I add some fun and cool details, but I mostly let the pictures and the journalling tell the story. Sometimes I get a great idea and make a page a little more artistic, but it's all just fun for me! What's nice about either craft, is you have most of the tools! You have sketch ideas, techniques, and can add interesting touches to both crafts! I love doing both crafts now! It's just finding the time to do it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Well I don't scrapbook, to me it is to putsy. Sorry, we don't take pictures really either. I find that I am not that artistic as I like to keep my stamping simple. I am in total aww of those that scrap as they are so artistic and creative. I just find that when I sit down to make a card I struggle with design. I get stamper block. I can be driving home from work and know exactly how I am going to design that card and well by the time I get home I have forgotten. Now to get my mojo back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I don't do scrapbooking only cards. But I like to use dp and embellishments and keep my style CAS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyOView Post
Well I don't scrapbook, to me it is to putsy. Sorry, we don't take pictures really either. I find that I am not that artistic as I like to keep my stamping simple. I am in total aww of those that scrap as they are so artistic and creative. I just find that when I sit down to make a card I struggle with design. I get stamper block. I can be driving home from work and know exactly how I am going to design that card and well by the time I get home I have forgotten. Now to get my mojo back.
I think I know what word you're trying to use, but I'm not sure. If it's the word I think it is, that's not a very nice thing to say about us scrapbookers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I think I know what word you're trying to use, but I'm not sure. If it's the word I think it is, that's not a very nice thing to say about us scrapbookers.
I don't think anything negative was intended towards people who scrapbook in MissyO's post. I took it that it's simply more time consuming than she prefers.

Jeannie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I just think she doen't like scrapbooking, not the scrapbookers. It's like me sayiing I don't like chocolate with nuts but I still love chocolate makers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #24  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnipotent1View Post
Is it just me, or is there a big difference between scrapers that make cards and people that make cards and don't scrapbook? It seems that scrapbookers make cards less about art and more fun..and stampers are SO artistic. I'm a scrapbooker turned stamper and I just feel like I can't make such beautiful cards!
there is a HUGE difference imo! But in a good way.

Just as in I think there is a SCS style and a 2 Peas style, which is again a scrappers vs cardmaker thing I think also.

I think that there is a TON of different styles out there that appeal to a ton of different people and that's a great thing!
I know not everything I make is appealing to everyone, and I am more than happy with it. I can appreciate all styles, but can't always pull them off myself.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can do both but keep them all CAS. way too much time can be spent on either hobby. Scrapped since 2002, Stamping only about 3 yrs now. Anyone asks me I say I'm a beginner.. lol I learned scrapping through CM and saw SU at a craft sale and love both! Cards are harder though as you start with a blank piece of paper....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking

I too feel that cards are harder (for me) pictures always give me a set mood and sometimes color. I do have to say a thank you to all the wonderful stampers on here. There are so many BEAUTIFUL cards that I've been stamping all week, not scrapping! : ) Nik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

You know I was thinking the same thing, I don't know any nice definitions for this word, but after reading the remainder of her post I don't think she meant it in a bad way, just not sure sure what meaning it has in this context
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I've always done both scrapbooking and cardmaking, but I would scrapbook more often. I've made 17 books already, and I've just barely made a dent in the pictures that need done! The styles aren't similar, but I have started using more stamps in my scrapbook pages in the last few years.

Visit my blog here: http://www.clickersistersgallery.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I am both!! A scrapbooker and a stamper. Both are different styles but that's OK. I am a simple scrapbooker, mostly just pictures and journaling. And with the cards it just all depends on the card. So there you go!!

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
You know I was thinking the same thing, I don't know any nice definitions for this word, but after reading the remainder of her post I don't think she meant it in a bad way, just not sure sure what meaning it has in this context
Yes, and it's also a vulgar term. I didn't think those words were allowed on this forum, even if they are used in a "joking" manner. I mean, if I used a similar term that begins with a "d," it would have been removed right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #31  
NwP
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyOView Post
I thought the intended word was 'putzy', meaning to putz around. I didn't read it as a judgment about scrapbooking as a legitimate hobby or about scrapbookers themselves. I thought she just meant that it can take a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a scrapper first, then a card maker, and now more recently a paper crafter. As others have mentioned, what I am doing will influence my style. My scrapbooks are predominantly clean and simple - pictures, journalling, and a few embellishments. And my personal preference is to have flat embellishments - no brads, chipboard (unless it is very thin), primas, anything else that has much dimension - so that my books always lay quite flat. So, unlike a lot of others, I use stickers quite a bit (but no "sticker sneezes" anymore - usually larger images and only one or two).
Even with my card making, it all depends on the use. If I am making them to sell, I usually stick with CAS style, and nothing that weighs too much or is too thick (but am okay with some dimension). If I am hand delivering, then I will go all out with dimension - sometimes they don't even fit into the envelope!!!
My favourite thing is to save all the scraps from my designer papers, and then use them on my cards. This year, I challenged myself to make all of the cards I sold (made about 200 cards this year) from nothing but paper scraps (except for the card bases) - I think that I did pretty well, as about 120 of them were nothing but scraps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh my goodness, I did not even notice the difference in the word (putsy verses putzy) I took it to mean...... "spending a lot of time with many design elements to create an artistic scrapbook that future generations will be interested in reading/looking at.".........
Well that seems to fit me well, I can spend loads of time creating a scrap page or sometimes a design will just happen in a matter of minutes. I love it either way, which is one of the reason I scrap my tons and tons of pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This is a very interesting topic to me! I had never noticed, but now I am going to pay more attention! I admit I have never been into scrapbooking. It's overwhelming to me, and as was already said, very time consuming imo. I don't have the patience. My scrapbooks are purely functional. Not at ALL attractive. lol. That being said, I created the one I have (it has pics from growing up, essentially) before I was a stamper.

But, I still think I wouldn't have the patience. I admire those that do scrapbook! I can't begin to ponder how people can put them together! I have dabbled a bit, but it's been smaller pages (or mini). I think it's mostly the size for me. With a card, as someone else said, it's a blank canvas. And it is finished a lot faster.

I will continue to just admire those who do scrap. Thanks for this fascinating subject!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Red face

Thanks everyone for your input..It's so neat to hear everyone's opinions! The reason I started this thread is because I've found myself SO critical of my cardmaking. With scrapbooking I can make mistakes and change things or cover them up. Since I started making cards I can't count how many times I've colored outside the lines..lol..or cut something wrong and had to start over. For me card making take so much more patience!! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #36  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnipotent1View Post
Thanks everyone for your input..It's so neat to hear everyone's opinions! The reason I started this thread is because I've found myself SO critical of my cardmaking. With scrapbooking I can make mistakes and change things or cover them up. Since I started making cards I can't count how many times I've colored outside the lines..lol..or cut something wrong and had to start over. For me card making take so much more patience!! :eek:
Isn't it interesting how different we all are? I have the exact opposite issues!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I feel that scrapbooking is just as artistic and creative as cardmaking. It's all paper crafting. Good design, creativity and a little bit of your heart are key elements in both. Whatever your style, whether you stamp or not, whether you create scrapbook layouts, cards or altered projects...it's all art and it's all good. It's just a matter of taste. enjoy!

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes