Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What Colour do you use as your Card Base?
I always use White or other light colours so I can write in it 24 14.20%
I use whatever matches my design, even if it's dark - I find a way to write in it anyways 55 32.54%
I mount my darker card fronts on a light colour so that I can still write in the card 32 18.93%
I insert a lighter piece of paper into the card for writing on 58 34.32%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Card Base Colours

I have a poll/question for everyone. When I make a card, I incorporate the colour of the base of the card into my design. Like in THIS card, i wanted to highlight the rose colour, so the base of my card is that colour. I sell my cards and have gotten comments on how difficult it can be to write on the darker colour cardstock. I always use gel pens in my cards, so I have never really thought about it. I use a colour that compliments the card. I don't like the look of always having a white or light base for my designs, and was just wondering how other people work around this? I have had customers request that I insert a light sheet of light-weight paper inside my card for writing on, and have done that for special orders, but it's not my standard practice. What does everyone else do? I'm just really curious about this, as I would like to start selling on ETSY and want to make as many people happy as I can.... Thanks for all your input!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah

I always line a dark colored card with either white or cream--depending on what colors are on the front of the card
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I chose the *always use white or light color* but I didn't start just so I could write in it. I did it because I like the heavy-weight of PTI CS and this way I just use either white, cream or kraft as a base no matter what and build on that. I just pick which one works best with the card I am doing. Sometimes my background only leaves a sliver showing on the edge.

Like this card...I had the same reason for edging it as you did on yours, but the actual BASE is still white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I normally use a colored card stock base and put a white or cream liner inside. I think it looks really nice and helps balance the front weight of the card if there are several layers on the card front.

"There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved." George Sands
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I used to just do what you do- use a color that coordinates with the rest of the design. Now however I will be using a basic light color for all my card bases.

I have a few reasons:
1. Most of my cardstock is 12x12, so I'll be getting a few basic colors in 8.5x11 to use as bases. This will just make things so much easier.
2. Colored card stock is too hard to see writing on.
3. This will ensure all my bases are nice and sturdy. I have a lot of textured cardstock and it isn't stiff enough to use a card base. No, not even Bazzill.

ETA: I also like the way it looks when there is a light base and a large layer of colored paper. Also makes it easier if I want a ribbon going around the whole front- no more cutting slits in the side or worrying how the inside will look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I use white for 99% of my card bases, not because of being able to write, but because it is a lot cheaper for me to buy GP110 white cardstock at Walmart and use that for my base and it makes my pieces of more expensive cardstock go farther. The white card base does then have the writeability benifit as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I used to have the base color as a colored CS and not a white CS. Then I would insert a liner of white CS on the inside to make it easy to write; one could use a nice linen paper instead to give it a royal touch.

However, now I've decided to keep a white base as my white CS is much thicker (approx 90-100 lb), cheaper and easier to write. If I don't want the white to show on the front of the card, I cut the bottom most layer of the card same as the size of the base. So if I'm making an 5.5" X 4.25" card, the bottom most layer of the card front would also be 5.5" X 4.25".

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I voted for the whatever matches the design. But really it's a combination of that and using a pale insert. If I am using the card myself and silver or gold will be OK, I'll write straight on the card. If I'm selling it or offering it for sale, I'll use an insert.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Most of the time I use a white or lighter color for my cardbase, but when I nave a dark color for the cardfront, I'll adhere it to a white cardbase - like [this card].

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I make card "fronts" and adhere them to a white cardstock base. I typically make cards in the standard invitation size, ie. 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, so I can get 2 card bases from each sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock.

The card front is also 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 so it completely covers the base, with no white showing around the edges. Like someone else said, this also makes a clean finish, with no brad "feet" or ribbon ends showing on the inside.

I always stamp the back of my cards and sign my name, so the white base works well for this also.

For card bases, I use white cardstock from Sam's called Image Plus by Georgia Pacific. It is 110 lb weight, has a nice finish, and costs about $11 or $12 for 250 sheets.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always make my card around the colors of the design including the base. I just cannot bring myself to use a white card base. I will however put an insert in the card if the base is too dark. Lighter bases (yellow, greens and light pinks etc.) I just write on the card. I personally think having the base match the card makes it more personalized and even look more expensive.

Having said that- I know a lot of "famous" stampers on this site use white card bases.....so whatever you prefer will work. Your personal style should always shine through on your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

If I am using a dark colored card base I usually insert a litter piece of cardstock that goes with the other colors or white/cream for writing on, I also like to take the ink pad and go around the edges of the insert cardstock so that it blends a little better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

for me it's half and half #1 and #3. i usually make my bases out of white, or kraft, and if it's a dark card, i'll mount it on white. very rarely do i make a card base from a dark colour, but when i do, i will put white on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I like having my card base match even if it is darker. I used to put a white or ivory layer on the inside of darker cards until I got a good white gel pen, then I didn't need it cause the white gel pen works really well (I like silver and gold gel pens as well but they can be hard to read sometimes).

I can see that when you sell cards, the people that are buying them probably don't stamp so they don't have gel pens (especially white) and with a blue or black pen how could they write their message on very dark CS. You could put in cheap computer paper (not CS) and it would work very well as a lining and your customers would never know that you used cheap paper, just as a suggestion, but I think if your base is light enough you don't need the lining.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I chose the last option on the list, but I actually take it a step further. I used to just add a white or vanilla piece inside to write on. But after seeing how some people decorate the inside to match the outside; I have been doing the same thing. I love the finished look and a lot of times it is a chance to use up scraps of DP or ribbon. Here are some examples of what I do:

Cookie Thoughts... by javagirl984 at Splitcoaststampers
Gina K Challenge #3 by javagirl984 at Splitcoaststampers
Gettin' Messy and Downright Grungy by javagirl984 at Splitcoaststampers

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I also like to use color coordination with my card base and the rest of the card. If the card base is dark, I've also used a nice piece of stationary to line the inside for writing on. I also punch the corners and I've been thinking of using my nesties on the inserts but haven't tried them yet with stationary, so will have to check that out before doing it.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll make my card front using whatever colors, light or dark, and then mount it onto a white card base. I usually add a piece of coordinating paper inside so it still looks a bit nicer, matches, the person can still write in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I use whatever color on the card body that makes sense to me and use a marker to work on the color - like white or silver....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I'd have to say that I never give much consideration to ease of writing on the inside of my cards, I just choose a base colour that matches in with what i want, and figure out the writing bit later, with lighter colours it's not so much an issue and with SU's range of markers there's always a colour to write with that compliments the card. However on the darker bases (brown/black) I have often used a slip of lighter card inside.

I feel it's a waste of cardstock to always use a light base even if I have no intention of it showing at the front, and it often make my card end up top heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

I love using colored CS for the card base. Just as you said, you can pick up the color in the rest of the card. It seems to unify it, I think. I do glue a (decorated) piece of lighter paper to the inside to make a writing space.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus... Col. 3:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use an insert. Even on white cardstock, I sometimes add a layer or two because it seems to balance out the weight when I've used more than a couple of layers on the front. KWIM? Plus I've started to decorate the inside to coordinate with the outside!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

I, like you, prefer to use all different colors for the base of the card being sure to carry that color through in the design. But, when using a color for the base, I always add a white sheet inside for writing. I know how difficult it is to read some of the writing on a colored card. I also like to coordinate the inside of the card with the front by carrying the colors in and decorating the inside of the card either by layering a sentiment with those colors or stamping with the colors. In my mind if I spend the time to decorate the front of the card, I'm going to carry it through and decorate the inside too!
This is a good question and I love to hear what others do! Thanks for asking!!

Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I use a base card that matches/coordinates with my top layers. If the base that works best is dark I line it with a light piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I use whatever coordinates with my layers, but try to use light colors, if possible. I rarely decorate the insides.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I voted: I mount my darker card fronts on a light colour so that I can still write in the card, but I also will adhere a light or white piece of paper if not on a white card base. It's rare that I have just colored cardstock for the sentiment and I decorate the insides when I'm in the mood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
I chose the last option on the list, but I actually take it a step further. I used to just add a white or vanilla piece inside to write on. But after seeing how some people decorate the inside to match the outside; I have been doing the same thing. I love the finished look and a lot of times it is a chance to use up scraps of DP or ribbon. Here are some examples of what I do:

Cookie Thoughts... by javagirl984 at Splitcoaststampers
Gina K Challenge #3 by javagirl984 at Splitcoaststampers
Gettin' Messy and Downright Grungy by javagirl984 at Splitcoaststampers
Your cards are amazing, Melissa! I love how you design the inside...it's like 2 cards in 1 and has such a professional, finished look.

This is my new favorite style!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to be a card front person, but after going back and mounting about 50 card fronts recently, I decided that I'm now in the camp of using a colored card base. I think it just looks nicer and you use less cardstock in the long run (though I know you start using more expensive cardstock). I ran into the problem that some of my card fronts (either received in swaps or ones I made) were not perfectly cut and so they didn't always line up on my bottom papers and so I had to do lots of extra trimmer. So, I say make it easy and use a colored base and if it is too dark, use a white/light insert.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I almost always use white as my base colour ('cause its cheaper!), but I also always line my card with a sheet of good quality white paper - makes your finished product feel *classier*!!
Reply With Quote Likes