Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can't get a clear black image with Botanical Garden!

I know that with some new stamps with solid images, it's difficult to get them well-inked. So I've cleaned and scrubbed on dry fabric several times, as well as re-inked my black ink pad, and even inked with a brayer, but I STILL cannot get a good image! I was so looking forward to doing some of those beautiful cards where Botanical Garden is stamped in black and then colored in in bright colors. Are there any other suggestions?

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #2  
The Digi-Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried lightly sanding??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

You may have already tried this but this is what I do. I rub them back and forth and then stamp up and down. Does that make any sense?

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #4  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Chalk inks

I would try the petal point black chalk pad. I get better coverage with that than with my classic ink pad. I can't think of anything else you could do... have you tried the butt stamping method? Maybe you're just not pressing hard enough.

I was going to try out the same stamp set tonight... I hope I can get it to work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My customer had the same problem...

One of my customers had the same problem, but I sanded it down for her, using one of our white sanding blocks. I kept testing it as I went. It required a lot more sanding than I typically do, but I was able to get it to the point where it stamps well using a classic pad.

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Kimberly and Stephanie, I'm new to this idea of sanding, so I don't have one of the white sanding blocks. Would something else substitute? Maybe a nail buffer?

I have done the back and forth, up and down thing, and haven't officially tried the butt-stamping method on this particular one, but I THINK I couldn't press much harder, especially since I've tried cardstock on top with my hand and with the brayer. Still, it's worth a try!

And, I was excited about the possibility of the chalk pad option, even before my original post, because I just got those in the same shipment as the Botanical Garden, but the ink is actually a dark brown, and while it is pretty, it doesn't give the deep, sharp contrasting look that I was hoping for with the black. And when I did try it, even it was a bit splotchy like the black.

I guess my best hope at this point is sanding, perhaps combined with some butt-stamping. Can I use the nail-buffer?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

If you are nervous about sanding, use an eraser! Works like a charm every time. The whole idea behind this is to get rid of the residue that is sometimes left behind in the stamp-making process. This residue is what sometimes prevents the ink from completely adhering to the stamp.

Mary Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by spedabstbit
Kimberly and Stephanie, I'm new to this idea of sanding, so I don't have one of the white sanding blocks. Would something else substitute? Maybe a nail buffer?

I have done the back and forth, up and down thing, and haven't officially tried the butt-stamping method on this particular one, but I THINK I couldn't press much harder, especially since I've tried cardstock on top with my hand and with the brayer. Still, it's worth a try!

And, I was excited about the possibility of the chalk pad option, even before my original post, because I just got those in the same shipment as the Botanical Garden, but the ink is actually a dark brown, and while it is pretty, it doesn't give the deep, sharp contrasting look that I was hoping for with the black. And when I did try it, even it was a bit splotchy like the black.

I guess my best hope at this point is sanding, perhaps combined with some butt-stamping. Can I use the nail-buffer?

I think my next try would be versamark and black EP!
Just a thought.....
(and try buttstamping! It works!!)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #9  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by spedabstbit

I'm such a dork! :oops: I have the chalk ink pads and always thought it was black... um even though I applied the little stickers and could have read the color. DUH (can you tell I haven't used that color yet?) :lol: How about a black craft ink pad then? How about a black staz on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Under the Hackberry Tree, Deep In The Heart Of Texas

I have discovered a trick that works well with stamps that don't make good contact. I use a foam sheet under my cardstock. I bought it at the craft store 2 for $.99! This seems to allow just enough give that I get good contact everytime without smudging.
Reply With Quote Likes