Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #281  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemickeymostView Post
I have cards I want to mail, but can't until the 15th. I've already seperated them by catergory & labeled them. Should I still send them even though it is after the deadline or should I send them directly to the organization that is doing this project?
If they are coming from the U.S., they should probably go directly to Shilo. The address is A Card For Home, P.O. Box 40, Shilo, MB, Canada, R0K 2A0.

Thanks for sending! I appreciate it. I know there are others through SCS that have sent directly to them. As long as they bring joy to a soldier's family, that's all that matters to me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 AM   #282  
Polyshrink Goddess

Three Cheers to Carolyn for doing this. I know I can speak for all who sent cards to you - THANK YOU

Remember - good things will come your way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #283  
Rubber Obsessor

I'll want to 2nd the cheers. My husband is in the military & serving in Iraq. He is always amazed @ how kind strangers are when they get care packages from unknown people. This will make a difference for the soldiers & their families. Thank you for given us all a chance to support our soldiers. so many want to help, but just don't know how. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #284  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

WooHoo!! Way to go Carolyn!! So glad I could be a part of this!!!
Jacqueline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #285  
Crimping Master

Thanks to a good friend from Spruce Grove and her contribution, our card total went up slightly - but every one counts! We now sit at 3,094!! I will be out of the loop for a few days, so if there's anybody that can bump this up, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by heartwig; 11-14-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: forgot to add a sentence
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #286  
Crimping Master

Good evening, ladies. I can finally say why I was out of the loop. A friend and I were flown down to California on Thursday to surprise a third friend who moved from Canada in the spring. We have had a great time, and she was TOTALLY surprised that we showed up. We've power shopped, wandered around Old Sacramento, ate at an authentic mexican restaurant, toured Beringer's in the Napa Valley, bought fancy chocolates to take home to the family, worn sandals and capris! Tomorrow we're heading to San Francisco for the day to do more touristy things. It's been a great girls' getaway. I'm going to come home on Sunday exhausted, but hey - we've got 6 hours to sleep on the plane ride home! I know none of this had to do with military cards, but it's been so much fun I just had to share. Thanks for indulging me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #287  
Rubber Obsessor

Girls weekends sure can energize you. I'm so glad you are having such a great time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #288  
Pearl-ExPert

How wonderful for you! Enjoy yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #289  
Crimping Master

I'm now back from California. We had a great girls' weekend, but I sure came back exhausted. We had full days of activity the whole time we were there.

While I was gone, I received another pack of cards from a friend, so the card total now sits at 3,104! Kind of nice to get to that next milestone.

I think things will be slowing down here now, but that's alright. If anybody is sending cards from now to the end of the year, send them directly to A Card For Home (address at www.acardforhome.com). They will gladly accept them.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #290  
Rubber Obsessor

Once again thank you so much for doing this. It really does mean a lot to the guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #291  
Crimping Master

Default Do we want to continue?

Hello all,

I took the 5 boxes of cards into the military base this morning. The guy (yes, a guy;) ) asked how long it would take to make each card. I told him about 15 minutes to half an hour to longer. He then sat there and calculated how many cards we had (3,104) and said "do you realize how much work is in these boxes!?!" Global News Edmonton came and filmed again, so I will be on the 5:00 early news with them.

They were wondering if we were up to making more cards for the military. There is a huge deployment (i.e. 2,500+) going out in February, and they would love to have boxes of cards at Canada House (don't ask me where that is - does anybody know) so that the soldiers can pick cards before they are sent out to wherever they are working. Not only are regular army going out, but reservists are going as well. And not just to Afghanistan, but other locations (names have slipped my mind).

So...is anybody up to the task? I know I'd like to help, but I can't do it without you. They need birthday, thinking of you, hello, etc. but probably not Christmas or occasions that are further in the year. Ones that can be used for a number of occasions, or blank are really good because they can decide what holiday they need it for. They also asked for french ones, if possible.

Please let me know. We don't need cards before Christmas, but starting in the new year would be good. This is really dear to my heart, but if you don't want to, I understand - I've asked alot of you already, and I am so appreciative of it.

Anyway, this has been long enough, I'm just so excited about the prospect! :p Hope to hear from some of you again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #292  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Count me in!!! There is a retiring list coming out at the beginning of December and I will have a ton of samples that I need to get rid of. I was using them as a fundraiser for a friend who had cancer but she passed away last week. I will be off work for a few months due to surgery so hopefully can get lots of personal stamping time in!!! I have 6 sets of stamps that I have not even cut the rubber for!!!
Jacqueline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #293  
Gallery Gazer

A group of ladies in my hometown get together every few months and spend an afternoon making cards for our soldiers overseas. Some of the businesses in town donate envelopes, or money to purchase supplies and I donate paper. I have a customer whose son will be leaving after the New Year, and being a small town we've all know him since he was little. His mother is the one that puts this all together for us here. We have someone always going to Shilo or close to Shilo that are willing to take the cards down for her.

It's nice to see so many people take the time to make the cards for these soldiers. Hope you can keep this going!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #294  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieheadView Post
Count me in!!! There is a retiring list coming out at the beginning of December and I will have a ton of samples that I need to get rid of. I was using them as a fundraiser for a friend who had cancer but she passed away last week. I will be off work for a few months due to surgery so hopefully can get lots of personal stamping time in!!! I have 6 sets of stamps that I have not even cut the rubber for!!!
Jacqueline
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope through the midst of sadness you have fond memories of her. And surgery for you - hope all goes well, which it seems you have a positive outlook - more time for stamping! :p

We're going through a tough time ourselves - my MIL just got out of the hospital on Tuesday after being in since Oct. 22, and today she went back in again. And my dad is waiting to find out if he'll be cleared for surgery - cancer in his jaw. If the cancer has spread to his lungs or throat they're not doing surgery; if not, he'll have a 10-15 hour operation where they will remove the jaw and surrounding tissue and fit him with a prosthetic jaw. It's going to be a long recovery for him. Considering the circumstances, he's keeping a positive attitude although my mom says at times he gets overwhelmed by it. I just want to try and be there for him as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #295  
Polyshrink Goddess

And in the midst of this, you are still thinking of others. I am amazed at the strength of people.

Cookiehead, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.
Heartwig, my heart goes out to you and your family.

I'm in for more cards. I took some pictures at the New York Botanical Gardens at the Kiku Japanese Chrysanthemum exhibit. Hoping they will bring color and joy to the soldiers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #296  
Die Cut Diva

Count me in! I even have some french greetings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #297  
Crimping Master

SurfLola - I'm so glad you're "in" - I love your photo cards. I tried doing pics in San Francisco - haven't developed them yet, but I'm sure they won't measure up to yours.

Laderme - YEAH!! :p So glad to see you can contribute too.

You all ROCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #298  
Crimping Master

Good evening ladies,

I'm going to start the card count from "0" again, since to me, this is the start of a new project. I know it will take awhile to build the numbers again, but it excites me to see the progress.

Happy Sunday to all - it's SNOWING!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #299  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartwigView Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope through the midst of sadness you have fond memories of her. And surgery for you - hope all goes well, which it seems you have a positive outlook - more time for stamping! :p

We're going through a tough time ourselves - my MIL just got out of the hospital on Tuesday after being in since Oct. 22, and today she went back in again. And my dad is waiting to find out if he'll be cleared for surgery - cancer in his jaw. If the cancer has spread to his lungs or throat they're not doing surgery; if not, he'll have a 10-15 hour operation where they will remove the jaw and surrounding tissue and fit him with a prosthetic jaw. It's going to be a long recovery for him. Considering the circumstances, he's keeping a positive attitude although my mom says at times he gets overwhelmed by it. I just want to try and be there for him as much as possible.
My grandfather has had jaw surgery & cancer. If you ever want to talk let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #300  
Crimping Master

Thank you for the offer - we're just in a holding pattern right now. I'll let you know when I get more news.

You know, ilovemickeymost, I just figured out your siggy line: "it all started with a mouse". I thought it was about a computer mouse, but it's not! :p I'm such a ditz!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #301  
Crimping Master

Just bumping up - next deployment is in February 2008 - I would love to see some cards come in for these people that sacrifice every day!

Will you help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #302  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

So good to see what you've been doing with this project, especially with all you have happening in your life right now. I won't have time to add to the numbers for a while yet for a variety of reasons but this project is near and dear to my heart. My DD's BF has been in Afghanistan since July and he was seriously injured last week. He should be back on Cdn soil in the next few days but it has been a long week for all of us since he was hit. Keep on supporting the troops - even the small ways of showing support matter a lot. If you're the praying type remember them that way too...
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #303  
Crimping Master

I'm so sorry for your DD's BF. It breaks my heart everytime I hear about injuries or death - makes me think that it's someone's husband, brother, son, friend, etc. (and wife, sister, daughter).

I'm really not expecting many cards until after the new year when life settles into a routine again. I know there are S/U demos out there that are waiting for the retired list to send me cards. If you can't send anything till later, I understand (I can't even get to making cards for awhile).

Know that I pray often for our military. They need and deserve the arms of protection around them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #304  
Crimping Master

Happy Friday, ladies! Just wanted to bump this up to see if anybody else would like to jump in and say they want to contribute cards, even if it's in the new year. I know this time of year is very busy and I won't be making many until then. I'm sure you're all feeling the time crunch, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #305  
Swapper of the Month - May 2013

I would love to donate some cards for our troops. Great idea.
I have PM'd you for your address. - norma -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #306  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm in. It will be in the New Year most likely. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #307  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by normatView Post
I would love to donate some cards for our troops. Great idea.
I have PM'd you for your address. - norma -
Thanks! I'm about to PM you back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 03:14 AM   #308  
Polyshrink Goddess

Bumping for a great cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #309  

I have to wait for the new snowfall to let up, so that I can get
out of my house safely to mail these cards. But I have some
pulled and ready for mailing. They will be on their way by Weds/Thurs.
for sure.
-norma-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #310  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have to wait for the new snowfall to let up, so that I can get
out of my house safely to mail these cards. But I have some
pulled and ready for mailing. They will be on their way by Weds/Thurs.
for sure.
-norma-
Thank you! I really wanted to hibernate today - with the windchill it's about -28! We don't have a whole lot of snow, but this cold wind is really annoying!

Stay safe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #311  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Just went through all my card fronts from the retiring list and those I have seen enough of so, about 100 or so (probably a little more) coming your way. I am hoping to actually stamp while I am recovering. A french teacher friend of mine is going to bring over her french stamps and hopefully we can get a whole whack of those off to you in the new year. Surgery is Dec. 12th so probably won't be doing a whole lot except trying to get ready for Christmas so you will most likely get these early in the new year!!!
Jacqueline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #312  
Crimping Master

Thanks so much Jacqueline! I can tell I'm going to be busy mounting card fronts!

Hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #313  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

I just ordered two packages of white paper so hopefully I will be able to mount most of them!!!!
Jacqueline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #314  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieheadView Post
I just ordered two packages of white paper so hopefully I will be able to mount most of them!!!!
Jacqueline
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #315  
Pearl-ExPert

So, are we still sending them to you Carolyn? I'll have a few more, but I'll most likely wait until New Year, so I can send a bunch at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #316  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by annascreationsView Post
So, are we still sending them to you Carolyn? I'll have a few more, but I'll most likely wait until New Year, so I can send a bunch at a time.
Yep...didn't expect them (at the Edmonton Garrison) to ask me to continue collecting cards. Into the New Year to send to me is just fine. I'm hoping to have a box (holds approx. 800 cards) together by the beginning of February to go out with the deployment and then keep sending them boxes as they are full.

Hope that answers your question!

Are you enjoying snowy weather today?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #317  
Crimping Master

Hi Ladies,

Until I can figure out what's going on, DON'T go to the A Card for Home website. I tried looking on it today and it goes to some wierd website and kept on locking up my computer. I will e-mail them directly to see what's happening and let you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #318  

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartwigView Post
Hi Ladies,

Until I can figure out what's going on, DON'T go to the A Card for Home website. I tried looking on it today and it goes to some wierd website and kept on locking up my computer. I will e-mail them directly to see what's happening and let you know.
I had a similar experience with their website. It looked weird, so I decided
to hang on to them, until I contacted you again. - Thanks for the update.
Will wait for your instructions. - norma-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #319  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I had a similar experience with their website. It looked weird, so I decided
to hang on to them, until I contacted you again. - Thanks for the update.
Will wait for your instructions. - norma-
A Card for Home is fine. She's spent numerous hours on the phone with her website provider trying to get it sorted out.

Keep checking back with the website - it should be up and running sometime soon (at least that's her hope!)

Norma, you're welcome to send the cards to me - they will go in the boxes that are being delivered for the deployment in February.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #320  
Polyshrink Goddess

bumping for my friend
Reply With Quote Likes