Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 808 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Can you make money with SU in this economy?

I'm just in the thinking stage...

After looking at Michelle Zindorf's creations and web page I found myself looking at Stampin' Up's website.

It just seems as though in such a rough economy, there is less disposable income. You'd have to not only purchase the start up kit, but continue to to buy new things so that you could sell. Do you think you can really make money now?

I'm in an area with no local stamp stores because they all went out of business. This is not an area full of stampers. There are less conventions and events, and even on SCS "Get it Together" you can't find stampers in this area. When you look for stamping stores or events in the back of magazines or on the internet, you just don't see them in SC.

I recently took early retirement and hoped to get a non-teaching job in the technology education industry. Then the economy tanked and the jobs dried up. I'm not ready to be totally jobless yet! I'm too young for this:cool:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it has much to do with the economy but how much work you put into it. I think if you work really hard then yes, you can make money, a lot of it...there are many who do. BUT it takes a ton of work, home based businesses are NOT easy, especially one targeted to a certain audience..I mean almost every woman wears makeup, uses purses/tote bags and all that kind of stuff.

I just hate to see people sign up thinking it's a get rich quick thing, it's not but it is possible!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Exactly what Minders said! I gave up my SU! demoship in April. I was spending way too much and didn't have the time to devote to it to make it a real business. I already have a full-time job so I wasn't looking to make SU! my full time job. But, others that do, have been really successfull. I think you have to have "salesman" personality, which I do not. I still love SU! products, and I am so happy to just be a customer now. No pressure. I think it also makes a difference if you're in an area that is already saturated with SU! demos. It could be harder in that situation to get customers because they already have a demo. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Pretty much what Minders said. I have been a demo for 10 years and love it! Do I make money, a little...enough to pay my social security almost every year (I am now retired and have a gov. pension). I have two classes per week, teach at 2 senior centers a month, have parties (usually one or two per month and do a workshop about once a month. This economy? I haven't noticed a down turn in my sales...just the opposite. I think more people are staying at home, doing things that are home based and not buying "luxury items" like big ticket items. My customer base has increased and my sales are climbing slowly but surely. I sold over $20,000 last year. First time in ten years! Can you make money...yes if you work at it and spend wisely. Good luck in your decision. I have NEVER regretted mine to become a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think too. If you live in a area where there are no Craft stores.

You would do good. Most people would have to buy online to supply their stamping/scrapping habit.

So if you were to be a demo. You might just have the upper hand in this.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I'm not sure about SU, but I know there are people who are starting good businesses and making some money with A Muse. I think part of it is because there is a lot of excitement about a new direct sales company and people already love and miss the product from when they used to sell retail in stores.

But a lot of it is about how much you put into it like others have said. You don't need to be a "salesman" but you do need to put yourself out there, call people and share your enthusiasm about the product.

I think areas with not as many LSS options do well because people still love to craft and it is nice to have a personal touch and lessons instead of buying everything online. People love to go to workshops and have a girl's night out.

Another factor in "making money" is how well you resist the temptation to buy. You can plan your workshops carefully to make the best use of products so you don't have to order tons of stuff. I try to only order what I need for my workshops but then I do fall prey to the temptation to shop for myself, LOL! But at least I make some $$ back on the things I buy for myself, unlike when I go to M's to shop, ha ha! I also have gotten lots of free stuff that help me to keep my kit supplies fresh.
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I think you should also do some research into how many other SU demos there are in your area. If there are already a lot, you may have difficulty getting customers. It would also help if you have a few friends who could have workshops for you, so you'd have some business to start off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I think it is possible to make good money in Direct Sales. I've done it with another company (different product) before kids. As others have said, it takes work but it can be worth it with the right company. I too have been intrigued by A Muse Studio. I have always loved A Muse products and it sounds like they have a great program and now that my kids are back in school I have some time that I can devote to it. I am going to listen in on a call next week to learn more about it... just read about the details on their facebook page.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #9  

Received 808 Likes on 330 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyemmertView Post
I think you should also do some research into how many other SU demos there are in your area. If there are already a lot, you may have difficulty getting customers. It would also help if you have a few friends who could have workshops for you, so you'd have some business to start off.
that's a great suggestion, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not an SU consultant, but I've been with CTMH for 16 years, so I've seen all sorts of ups and downs... and YES, you can make money, but the important thing is to always think of it as a business. Make purchasing decisions based on what you can demonstrate to create business. Instead of buying everything you love, buy a few things at a time (or put together a party for yourself with items you will use over a couple of months) and create workshops/demonstrations from those items.

I've actually seen my sales increase in this economy. People have put off buying a car, remodeling their house and making all those big purchases and they are more careful about what they do spend their money on. Our business is fun, it gives them a night out and gives them fun crafty ideas that help stretch the money they do spend.

But as stated above....it is a lot of work!! But you said you're retired...so why not?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Not sure what part of SC you're in, but there are still some good LSS in Columbia and the Greenville area. I live right across the state line in GA and drive to those cities to shop occasionally since all of ours closed last year. We have quite a few SU demos here and they seem to do pretty good sales. There's a lot of people really into this hobby here and workshops seem to be what people want. The small gift workshops sell out and the stamp-a-stack are really popular. I think people want to get out and socialize but not break the bank and walk away with something useful they can give as a gift.

You should give it a go and see what happens. I met my demo by using the consultant locator so you might be surprised how many come out of the woodwork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

While I'm not with SU, I'm a consultant for CTMH. It truly is possible to make money in this business. But...and that's a big but....in order to make money, you need to purchase wisely. I think when we all get a new catalog we go through it and see so many stamps/papers that we "want". The key is to purchase what you "need", not what you "want". There will always be a few items that we just have to have. That's ok. But, you need to keep those "wants" and "have to haves" at a minimum. If you're going to be doing classes, center those classes around the items that you have fallen in love with. This will give you the opportunity to have the products that you want, yet you're able to use them for your classes.

As with any business, you will have to spend money to make money. The key, tho, is to spend wisely. hostess rewards are also a great way to get either the items you want for your classes, or those must have, can't live without products.

You will need to invest time in your business, and you will need to find that your niche will be in your market. As with any new business, it takes time to get it off the ground. Now, if you have a bunch of stamping/scrapping friends, you may have a head start. Before joining tho, as some have said, check the consultant locator for SU and see if the market is saturated in your area. If it is, you might want to look to another company.

Suz

Last edited by craftdoc; 09-02-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: removed promotional link per Site Posting Rules
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

You've gotten a lot of good advice here--I just wanted to say good luck deciding what is right for you and your family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Another thing to consider is that your earnings are limited and require a lot of selling...unless you recruit downline and they recruit downline and they recruit downline...and all of them are selling well. The folks in SU (or any other multi-level selling system) who make more money are earning on their 5 levels of downline that sell well.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #15  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can definitely make good money with SU and other home businesses. You just have to WORK. : ) Most people aren't willing to put the effort into it consistently and do the legwork in the beginning that will pay off in the long run.

People say the only way to make $$ is off your downline and that is simply NOT true, at least with SU. You CAN make money off your downline, yes, but the majority of my income comes from my own efforts. You really are in charge of how much you want to make. You don't have to depend on others to make your income for you.

Last edited by craftdoc; 09-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: site posting rules
Reply With Quote Likes