Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying from UK to USA?

I am considering buying from Crafter's Companion, UK site because they have more than on the US site. I have easily purchased from ********** but not from any other store outside of USA. I tried to find out about customs/duty/VAT? but have found no info. Has anyone purchased from UK to US? I am wondering if there are extra costs involved. Perhaps I should give up my foolish idea.... Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have purchased from UK sites multiple times. I have purchased from Clarity and they add an extra charge for shipping to the US but that is more than offset from not having to pay the VAT tax. I've also purchased from another website that does not refund the VAT but I get free shipping even to the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I used to enjoy shopping on their UK website because they offered more than what the US site had available. However, over the last year or so, shipping has gone too high, and now, depending on the daily rate of exchange, you have to spend close to $200 US to get free shipping. CC is charging between £25 and £50 depending on your order amount; that's a little high for me for crafting supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I used to enjoy shopping on their UK website because they offered more than what the US site had available. However, over the last year or so, shipping has gone too high, and now, depending on the daily rate of exchange, you have to spend close to $200 US to get free shipping. CC is charging between £25 and £50 depending on your order amount; that's a little high for me for crafting supplies.
I was considering spending about $200 to get the free shipping. What did you have to pay for customs or VAT? I'm not sure if that depends on the purchase amount - whether you spend $50 or $200 - and if you don't have to pay if it's less, but do if it's $200.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

VAT is a % of the price of the goods. Currently it's 20% in the UK, so you should expect to pay 5/6 of the VAT-inclusive price once they have either taken the VAT off on the site or refunded it afterwards. I usually email a new supplier first to check that they will refund or deduct the VAT and to find out how it happens. The key thing is that if you are outside the EU, then VAT is not payable.

Customs charges will be levied by your own country and there should be a site somewhere which explains the charges. I'm in New Zealand, where any local GST (VAT equivalent) and duty are calculated at entry and are payable before the goods are sent on. I don't know how that works in the USA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedeemedView Post
I was considering spending about $200 to get the free shipping. What did you have to pay for customs or VAT? I'm not sure if that depends on the purchase amount - whether you spend $50 or $200 - and if you don't have to pay if it's less, but do if it's $200.

To my knowledge, VAT has never been added on to my order, because (to my understanding from doing some work over there), I'm not a UK citizen. That's why you apply to be reimbursed for it when you leave the country.

I also have never had to pay a customs fee for crafting items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
VAT is a % of the price of the goods. Currently it's 20% in the UK, so you should expect to pay 5/6 of the VAT-inclusive price once they have either taken the VAT off on the site or refunded it afterwards. I usually email a new supplier first to check that they will refund or deduct the VAT and to find out how it happens. The key thing is that if you are outside the EU, then VAT is not payable.

Customs charges will be levied by your own country and there should be a site somewhere which explains the charges. I'm in New Zealand, where any local GST (VAT equivalent) and duty are calculated at entry and are payable before the goods are sent on. I don't know how that works in the USA.

Thank you for clarifying that for me; obviously I was given the wrong information. As I mentioned before, with all the various overseas sites I've used for crafting supplies, I've never been charged a customs fee on my end. I was charged a custom fee once, however not for art or craft supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedeemedView Post
I am considering buying from Crafter's Companion, UK site because they have more than on the US site. I have easily purchased from ********** but not from any other store outside of USA. I tried to find out about customs/duty/VAT? but have found no info. Has anyone purchased from UK to US? I am wondering if there are extra costs involved. Perhaps I should give up my foolish idea.... Thank you!

I wish people would not buy from Ali Express. They steal designs and copy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by skm330mksView Post
I wish people would not buy from Ali Express. They steal designs and copy them.
I know what you mean but ********** is a giant amazon/ebay with 1000s of products and sellers and you can't throw out the baby with the bathwater, not every ********** seller is a criminal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

And a lot of Chinese sellers now sell through Amazon, so you can't assume that just because it's Amazon it's not grey market goods.
Reply With Quote Likes