Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buckeyes

No, not the candies. I was given a bag of real buckeyes. Now all I need is a good idea or two of what to do with them in the next 2 weeks to sell at the craft shows. My third show is actually on the day Ohio States plays Michigan. Anyone have a poem or any suggestion at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buckeyes

Hi, I saw at my doctors office a couple of years ago around Christmas time a Buckeye Tree sitting on their counter. It was so cute - I wish I had a picture of it to show you. It was a small tree only about 2 foot tall. It had Buckeye Brutus' hanging all over it. It has been a couple years since I saw this tree so I can't remember exactly all the details - just know it was adorable. The person made Brutus' head out of the Buckeyes - painted his face on it. There was also a full Brutus - head made from the Buckeye, red pipe cleaner with small red and grey beads on it (I think). You'll have to try it out to see what looks the best. It was cute and if I would have had some buckeyes at the time I would have made one for myself. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, where to start! lol! You can make strands of garland (about 6') - I did this for a craft show last year and they went really well! You can do trees as mentioned before, or decorate smaller grapevine wreaths. There's the standard necklaces, or make smaller necklaces for rear-view mirror decorations. There's Christmas tree decorations that can be made..... The only limitation is your imagination! I live in the heart of Buckeye country (Columbus), so just about anything red/gray/buckeye can be bought or sold around here! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

You've heard of snowman poop, right? Why not package them and label them as wolverine poop? Bwa ha ha ha!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Michigander here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
You've heard of snowman poop, right? Why not package them and label them as wolverine poop? Bwa ha ha ha!

Hey now! Them's fightin' words!! ;)

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I collected a bunch of them and wired them together to form a grape-like bunch. The instructions are all in Martha Stewart's Wreaths book, and are probably online. It turned out really beautiful- I keep it on a doorknob all year and get a lot of compliments on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

DRS Designs, www.drsdesigns.com has a buck eye stamp....

http://www.drsdesigns.com/orderpages/f225order.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the above suggestions. Anymore ideas out there??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,014 Likes on 868 Posts
Default buckeye crafts

How about a key chain? Buckeyes may be kinda of big for cell phone charms......... If you google on e-bay, you can see the necklaces people wear with the buckeyes...

Thanks for the buckeye stamp link- I have been looking for one of those- we have a daughter that goes to OSU.......

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post

M Go Blue! (U of M grad and former Michigander too.) :twisted:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Oh, how I would LOVE to have a couple hundred buckeye nuts! As an Ohio native (Cincy area) my 'dream' is to make a long garland or two of them to drape onto a Christmas tree or wind through some garland.

A few years ago I stopped at one of the Ohio welcome centers and was given a bagful of buckeyes. I was going to make the Martha Stewart swag that another poster mentioned -- started on it but then decided I'd prefer a wreath, so I wired the 'bundles' of nuts onto a wire wreath form.

With the buckeyes I had left I made Christmas ornaments for the family: I took three nuts and drilled fairly large holes in them (maybe the size of a pencil?), ran ribbon through them and tied a bow at the bottom. That description probably doesn't do it justice; in the end, it was a stack of three buckeyes with a bow at the bottom and a loop at the top for an ornament hook.

I don't remember if it was Martha Stewart's instructions or my own idea, but before using the buckeyes I coated them with a layer of varnish or wax so that they'd have a little bit of a shine to them.

M. Carroll
Springfield VA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Love the ideas keep them coming! What is the easiest way to drill the holes without destroying the buckeye. Some of them are small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

It was a few years ago that I made my buckeye things; I used a power drill but I don't remember if it was my husband's 'regular' drill or the Dremel tool. The nuts were easy to drill; they're hard of course but it didn't take a lot of pressure to go through them. The size of the drill bit you need will depend on on how thick the wire, cord, ribbon, pipecleaner, or whatever is that you want to run through the holes.

If you don't have a vise that you can clamp them into (to hold them steady while you're drilling), for safety reasons I'd suggest wearing a heavy leather or canvas glove -- and/or a large pair of pliers -- to hold them in case the drill slips. If you think the vise or pliers might scratch the buckeye nuts, just cushion them with an old towel or washcloth.

Also, if you're drilling the nuts while holding them with your gloved fingers or pliers, put a cushion of some sort 'underneath' the nuts so that the drill won't damage your work surface (tabletop or floor?) when the drill breaks through the other side of the nut. A few layers of corrugated cardboard is good, or just use an overturned empty cardboard box as a work surface to drill on.

I'm sure this sounds like a lot of precautions, but it's easy. Kind of dull and boring, but easy.
Reply With Quote Likes