Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know how her stamped projects came out with the black sharpie. how did that even stamp since it dries almost instantly.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemamaView Post
I wonder, did she use them for a project with a girl scout troup or Sunday School, or in general, with children? I guess given the situation, I would want to know what the circumstances were.
I would NEVER borrow someone else's stamps and then turn around and hand them to a bunch of kids! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore children and normally am pretty tolerant of little ones doing what they do naturally (I worked with GS troops regularly at my part-time job in grad school), but wouldn't dream of letting them use rather expensive craft supplies unless the lender had approved it ahead of time.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

I used to be a decorative painter and I always used vodka, very cheap vodka to take paint of of anything. It works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottswifeView Post
I used to be a decorative painter and I always used vodka, very cheap vodka to take paint of of anything. It works great.
I like this idea.....besides if it doesn't work and your stamps are ruined you can drown yourself in your sorrow! Hee Hee! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What in the world was she doing using what was it- indoor house paint? Hello?? Anyway, I hope you have success with your stamps, I'm lovin' all these tips....What exactly is Kiss off and where does one get it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Default Vodka suggestion

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
I like this idea.....besides if it doesn't work and your stamps are ruined you can drown yourself in your sorrow! Hee Hee! ;)
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Good luck with the cleaning process. I hope you have wonderful results. And I can't wait to find some Kiss Off to try myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinoviceView Post
What in the world was she doing using what was it- indoor house paint? Hello?? Anyway, I hope you have success with your stamps, I'm lovin' all these tips....What exactly is Kiss off and where does one get it? Thanks.
Kiss Off is a stain/spot remover...not sure, but I think the 'secret ingredient' is fuller's earth. Here's the site: www.kissoff.com and there's a store locator link there. Michaels usually has it (either in the paint department or by the register); it's in a large tube.

If you can't find it, The Master's Brush Cleaner is the same formula. Which gets dried gunk out of brushes in a snap. DON'T use The Master's Hand Cleaner on stamps. It's terrific for your hands, but it contains lanolin, so shouldn't be used on stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

I do understand your concerns about the Goof Off -- that's why I recommended cleaning it off the stamps ASAP. I have used GO in the direst of circumstances (*before* I'd found KissOff -- at the Ben Franklin in Waukesha! Is it still there in the Fox Run Center?) -- and it did NOT wreck the stamps. I still have them, and they still work just fine. It is definitely a last resort, though -- in case the KO doesn't remove the interior latex paint. If you're careful & quick, you should be OK. :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1996View Post
I'd be hesitant to use Goof Off on my stamps. I've used it before and it's a very caustic product. I'd hate to think what it could to do rubber.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

No she didn't use them for any kind of group thing. It was just for something in her house. When I talked with her about what happened to my stamps she had a moment of 'Oh'... her project wasn't working aparently and she just kept putting perm marker on the stamps...layer after layer and couldn't figure out why she couldn't stamp them...once again I will say If it was me I would have asked for help but she is not me. The int. house paint was for her DD's bedroom, she had seen my DD's bedroom and thought it was cute and wanted to replicate it. I am going to Mikes tonight to get the KO. Someone had suggested a pink eraser, well, that didn't work...so time to try KO.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonbutterflyView Post
No she didn't use them for any kind of group thing. It was just for something in her house. When I talked with her about what happened to my stamps she had a moment of 'Oh'... her project wasn't working aparently and she just kept putting perm marker on the stamps...layer after layer and couldn't figure out why she couldn't stamp them...once again I will say If it was me I would have asked for help but she is not me. The int. house paint was for her DD's bedroom, she had seen my DD's bedroom and thought it was cute and wanted to replicate it. I am going to Mikes tonight to get the KO. Someone had suggested a pink eraser, well, that didn't work...so time to try KO.
If she repeatedly applied permanent marker to the stamps, the dies are probably permanently stained. The permanent markers fluid would have penatrated the rubber...permanently staining it.

The good news is that the marker is permanent, so even though the stamps are a wierd color, that color won't leach off when stamping.

And next time that gal wan't to borrow anything...send her to someone who deserves her 'business.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should also ask her to pay you for the KissOff!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #52  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamuddView Post
I have a little tip to clean stamps. Put a small amount of glycerin on a plate and place the rubber side down in it overnight. I have done this on several sets I bought second hand and it worked wonderfully.
My homemade cleaner recipe includes glycerin, and it even cleans off Stazon if I clean them right away!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
If she repeatedly applied permanent marker to the stamps, the dies are probably permanently stained. The permanent markers fluid would have penatrated the rubber...permanently staining it.

The good news is that the marker is permanent, so even though the stamps are a wierd color, that color won't leach off when stamping.

And next time that gal wan't to borrow anything...send her to someone who deserves her 'business.'
I wonder if the permanent color would affect solvent-based ink colors, though. It'd be interesting to test that. I'm not a stickler for stains, but I only use black and brown StazOn and have never noticed them being affected by stains on my stamps, but I have wondered if lighter colors would be. Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #54  
Mad Swapper

For this very reason I only lend my stamps to people I have seen handle rubber stamps. If they treat the stamps the same way I do I will be happy to lend them mine. If they don't...no way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonbutterflyView Post
So did she NOT notice the fact that there was no paint on them even though you had already used them in your DD room??????? Duh, she should have not gotten it all over them either!! Of course, if she didn't know to use a piece of felt to make a "stamp pad" then she was more than likely dipping the rubber directly into the paint.....I wonder how her DD's room looks? Probably a big mess too if she was doing it the way I think she was!!

Were evolution true, Mothers would have more than 2 hands!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, you can't get a more expert opinion than Nancy, but I can give another heartfelt testimonial for Kiss Off!

Nowadays I am good about cleaning stamps right away, but 8-10 years ago it was a different story entirely! I had a big basket I would throw stamps in after I'd used them...UNwashed of course! All kinds of ink...gold pigment, Memories, RED ink, you name it, they were all over those stamps.

One time I figured out it'd been a good four MONTHS since I'd cleaned those stamps, so I sat down with a wet rag, a toothbrush, and a couple of tubes of Kiss Off. Oh, my GOSH! They all came clean! Even the ones with encrusted gold pigment ink! I mean, that stuff can be hard to get out even brand new!

I was so impressed with the stuff I started selling it in my online store. I was so impressed at this inexpensive solution! I mean, less than $5 for a tube that lasts a LONG time, and one that out-cleans other products that cost 3-4 times as much!

Wet stamp, rub the Kiss Off straight onto the stamp, scrub it in with the toothbrush, let it sit. It might just need to sit for 1/2 hour, or overnight for really bad stuff. Use the toothbrush (wet) to scrub again before rinsing off really well.

This stuff rocks....
Reply With Quote Likes