Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, I learned my lesson.....Help!

I loaned some of my very favorite SU stamp sets to a friend who said she wanted to use them for a few projects. Well, I get them back and oh my gosh the DD Butterfly set is COVERED with paint...blue and green and pink and orange...it can't be craft paint...I can't get it off! I have tried everything I can think of. The non-DD sets I loaned her have black ink on them...the wood and rubber. I have tried my stamp scrubber...I have tried soap....I don't know what else to do :confused: Does anyone have any suggestions what else I should try?

My little gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Your "friend" has some nerve returning your stamps in that condition! If you can't get the paint off, I think she should replace them. I've heard that Simple Green gets off difficult to remove stuff. Or Goo Gone? Is the rubber at least usable? You could always sand the paint off the wood and redo the index yourself. Good luck!

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I find the Simple Green great at taking black ink off my rubber. It probably won't work on the wood though. If you really want the ink off the wood I guess you have a couple of options that I can think of, I'm sure there are more, you can try sanding the block where the ink is, or remount them on new wood blocks.

As for the painted stamp, I'd call my friend and ask her what type of paint she used on it so you can find out the best way to remove it.

Going forward, she wouldn't be borrowing anything I owned. That's a hard lesson to learn. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a product called "Goof Off" that removes latex paint from all kinds of surfaces...I'm not sure how well it would work on rubber, though...you might want to test it on a piece of scrap rubber before you used it on a stamp.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonbutterflyView Post
I loaned some of my very favorite SU stamp sets to a friend who said she wanted to use them for a few projects. Well, I get them back and oh my gosh the DD Butterfly set is COVERED with paint...blue and green and pink and orange...it can't be craft paint...I can't get it off! I have tried everything I can think of. The non-DD sets I loaned her have black ink on them...the wood and rubber. I have tried my stamp scrubber...I have tried soap....I don't know what else to do :confused: Does anyone have any suggestions what else I should try?
I'm still trying to get over the shock that "a friend" would return something she borrowed from you in such condition . . . :shock:

I have no idea how to get the paint you describe off, but for the black ink stains on the rubber, I would invest in a bottle of Ultra Clean by Stewart Superior. It's the *best*, hands-down. Just do a google for it, and retail sources will pop up, if you can't find a b & m store near you that carries it.

As for the ink stains on the wood, the only thing I can think of would be to sand it off with a fine grit sandpaper.

HTH, and good luck with the paint . . . I hope someone else has a helpful answer that will remove it, but not damage the rubber and wood . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

My SIL accidentally used permanent marker on one of her new stamps and thought she was doomed. I told her to try using a pink eraser to get the ink off. She about hit the floor when it worked!

Here's another cleaning tip from Wanda @ starlightstamper.com: http://www.starlightstamper.com/2007...mpossible
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

There is a great product called KissOff that works very well for me, at least for stubborn ink stains. It comes in a tube like a big glue stick, and can be found in hardware or grocery stores in the laundry/cleaning aisles. I rub a damp toothbrush across it to pick some up, and then go to town on the rubber. I don't think it will help with the wood, since ink usually gets absorbed, and once that happens you're out of luck in terms of getting it off.

As for the paint, call your 'friend' and ask her what she used -- that may give you a clue as to how you can get it off. If it's dried acrylic paint, it can be difficult, but I'd start with KissOff, and if that doesn't work go to something like Goof-Off, which is great for getting dried paint off of things. Just be sure to clean the rubber with a regular stamp cleaner ASAP after using the Goof-Off so there isn't time for the rubber to be damaged by the solvent.

If none of those works, I'd send her a bill for the cost of the ruined stamps -- and take her off my Lending List! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the ultra clean, that stuff works great! As far as the paint, I would call your friend and ask her what she used on your stamps and I would make it a point to let her know that you are having difficulty in cleaning the mess off that she made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #9  
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpdView Post
As for the paint, call your 'friend' and ask her what she used -- that may give you a clue as to how you can get it off.

This is what I was going to suggest as well. One stone...two birds. You can find out what the hell she used on your stamps and the conversation would get the point across of how inconsiderate it was to return your stamps in that condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

As for the paint, call your 'friend' and ask her what she used -- that may give you a clue as to how you can get it off. If it's dried acrylic paint, it can be difficult, but I'd start with KissOff, and if that doesn't work go to something like Goof-Off, which is great for getting dried paint off of things. Just be sure to clean the rubber with a regular stamp cleaner ASAP after using the Goof-Off so there isn't time for the rubber to be damaged by the solvent.:
I'd be hesitant to use Goof Off on my stamps. I've used it before and it's a very caustic product. I'd hate to think what it could to do rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I've successfully used vegetable shortening (Crisco) to get latex paint off of a rubber stamp before. I rubbed the surface of the stamp with a light coat, let it sit for a while, and then came back and scrubbed it with soap & water and a bristle brush.

Do you have a sanding block? Maybe you can sand away some of the paint on the stamp, too.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you've received some excellent suggestions. I'd try a phone call to my friend and ask her what she put on the stamps since you can't get it off. That will accomplish 2 things -- one, she'll get the message that she ruined your stamps and two, it might help find something to remove it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

If it's acrylic paint, then maybe soaking the rubber with a liquid brush cleaner (for paint brushes) might help. That stuff has gotten dry paint off of small paint brushes without much damage for me. I use a pink liquid in a squeeze top bottle that I got at Hobby Lobby. I can't remember the name of it now. As someone else suggested, you might want to try this on an inexpensive stamp or one you don't care if you ruin first.

Sorry this happened to you. Obviously, your friend doesn't have much experience at stamping and/or has a very different attitude toward cleaning her stamps then you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Some 'friend'! If you can't get the paint off, I definitely let her know how dissappointed you are and ask for a replacement set. If she is a regular stamper, she should have known better, so my guess is that she doesn't normally stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

That reminds of a woman I once knew. She borrowed a large roasting pan from a friend. Two days later, my friend ran into her at the store and asked for it back since whe would be needing it. When my friend got home, there was the roasting pan on her front porch! UNWASHED!!

I don't have a solution but let us know if anything works
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you all very much for your cleaning suggestions. I don't think many of them will work...I called her she used Perm black Sharpie marker on the non-DD stamps and regular interior house paint on the DD set (OMG) She said she 'didn't know there was a difference between what you (I) use and what I (she) had in the house.' Duh?! I told her if I can't get them clean I would like her to pay me what I paid for the sets. I made sure she knows I will not loan her any of them again.

If she didn't know why didn't she ASK me for help/suggestions on her 'projects'? I don't get it, I would never dream of borrowing anything from anyone without knowing how to properly use it first. Honestly, I didn't know she had no experience...I've seen some things in her house she said she made. I thought she was old hat at the whole stamping thing.

I have written all your suggestions down and when I get into town next I'll pick some of them up, just to give it a try and see what happens. I do have a pink eraser...lol I'm desperate enough to try it and pray it works.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

There is a great product called KissOff that works very well for me, at least for stubborn ink stains. It comes in a tube like a big glue stick, and can be found in hardware or grocery stores in the laundry/cleaning aisles. I rub a damp toothbrush across it to pick some up, and then go to town on the rubber. I don't think it will help with the wood, since ink usually gets absorbed, and once that happens you're out of luck in terms of getting it off.

As for the paint, call your 'friend' and ask her what she used -- that may give you a clue as to how you can get it off. If it's dried acrylic paint, it can be difficult, but I'd start with KissOff, and if that doesn't work go to something like Goof-Off, which is great for getting dried paint off of things. Just be sure to clean the rubber with a regular stamp cleaner ASAP after using the Goof-Off so there isn't time for the rubber to be damaged by the solvent.

If none of those works, I'd send her a bill for the cost of the ruined stamps -- and take her off my Lending List! :mrgreen:
I've been using Kiss Off since the early 90s. I was writing Stamping Made Easy and sent a box of stamps to my illustrator to use for illustrations in the book. I also sent her a black pigment pad to use with the stamps.

to make a long story short...she used printer's ink (as permanent as it gets), that she did not remove from the stamps, stuck the box of stamps in the trunk of her car (this was Aug, and she lived in S Florida) and left them there for about a week before mailing them back to me. The ink was literally fused to the rubber...and most of the stamps were highly detailed. They were, by any standards, ruined.

I tried every cleaner possible...nothing budged that ink. I had a tube of KissOff on my counter and grabbed it (sheer desperation!). Rubbed it on a couple of the stamps and let it sit overnight. The next day, I dampened a toothbrush and started scrubbing...99% of the ink was gone. I rubbed KO on those stamps again, let it sit for a couple of hours and scrubbed again. Clean stamps!

THEN I called General Pencil (they make Kiss Off) and asked if there was anything in the cleaner that would harm rubber stamps...nada, nothing, zero!

I've been using KO ever since (exclusively) I' now use a cheapo battery operated toothbrush to do the work (no splatters).

KO has taken off paint, permanent ink, glue, and any of the other creepies I slap on my stamps...nothing does it as well, honest! Another plus, it's toxic-free.

Rub it on your stamps, let it sit over night...then scrub. May take one or more sessions, but your stamps WILL get back to their original sparkle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybooView Post
That reminds of a woman I once knew. She borrowed a large roasting pan from a friend. Two days later, my friend ran into her at the store and asked for it back since whe would be needing it. When my friend got home, there was the roasting pan on her front porch! UNWASHED!!

That is just horrible!!! I'd have ran it back to her house and told her 'excuse me hon, I think you forgot to wash this' than waited till she did :mrgreen:

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
I've been using Kiss Off since the early 90s. I was writing Stamping Made Easy and sent a box of stamps to my illustrator to use for illustrations in the book. I also sent her a black pigment pad to use with the stamps.

to make a long story short...she used printer's ink (as permanent as it gets), that she did not remove from the stamps, stuck the box of stamps in the trunk of her car (this was Aug, and she lived in S Florida) and left them there for about a week before mailing them back to me. The ink was literally fused to the rubber...and most of the stamps were highly detailed. They were, by any standards, ruined.

I tried every cleaner possible...nothing budged that ink. I had a tube of KissOff on my counter and grabbed it (sheer desperation!). Rubbed it on a couple of the stamps and let it sit overnight. The next day, I dampened a toothbrush and started scrubbing...99% of the ink was gone. I rubbed KO on those stamps again, let it sit for a couple of hours and scrubbed again. Clean stamps!

THEN I called General Pencil (they make Kiss Off) and asked if there was anything in the cleaner that would harm rubber stamps...nada, nothing, zero!

I've been using KO ever since (exclusively) I' now use a cheapo battery operated toothbrush to do the work (no splatters).

KO has taken off paint, permanent ink, glue, and any of the other creepies I slap on my stamps...nothing does it as well, honest! Another plus, it's toxic-free.

Rub it on your stamps, let it sit over night...then scrub. May take one or more sessions, but your stamps WILL get back to their original sparkle!
Oh, thank you for the shining product review... :mrgreen: this stuff just went to the top of my "have to get" list!!!

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

In case you can't get the paint off the DD Butterfly set, I have one for sale! ;)

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Boy what a sad story to read and I am appalled she would return them in that c ondition..I'd have been looking for a set to replace them before handing them back to anyone....Good luck with all the wonderful suggestions ( which I've made note of) and I guess the moral to this story is- well you know what it is-'never loan our stamps to anyone'. sad but true...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I don't normally worry about ink on wood blocks, but you might try bleach for that. Come to think of it, I might also try bleach on the stamps. There is also Mr/ Clean's magic eraser - that has been known to take permanent markers off other surfaces so it might work on the stamps and blocks.

And I know someone already mentioned crisco but others have also had luck using olive oil to take off stubborn stains. I would save this method for a "last resort" because I seem to recall that oil isn't all that great for rubber, but if the stamps are a lost cause anyway I would give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, and how could I forget -- I've had great luck with stayz-on cleaner takign off stubborn black stains that I thought would never come off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a note here. You do not need to worry much about "harming" the rubber when cleaning stamps....

I'm an old farm wife. The liners for the milk machines, the part that actually comes in contact with the cow's sensitive skin, use to be made of good grade rubber (now they incorporate nylons and plastics). The rubber liners would sort of harden over time so we would boil them for a half hour in water with lye added. Lye is the stuff that Drano� is made from.

No, I am not recommending you clean your stamps with Drano�. Just letting you know that rubber is sturdy stuff. It probably won't be harmed by most household cleaners.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so pathetic I would have to replace them or else it would drive me nuts...Not the best advice at all I s'pose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I am dumbfounded! Did she even offer an apology!?? The nerve of her to return something in that condition..... I would be sooooo peeved!

My Gallery...

Dear Lord, Please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
(One of my favorite sentiments from River City Rubber Works!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Speaking of loaning stories. I loaned out my SU Farm set to my SIL, she was making baby shower announcments (for my baby shower) after month of her having them...she finally returned them...with black ink all over the wood and they barly looked clean. That was the first and last time I will loan out my stamps. I guess I take care of them way to well...I cant stand seeing any ink on them when not in use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammys1977View Post
I am dumbfounded! Did she even offer an apology!?? The nerve of her to return something in that condition..... I would be sooooo peeved!
Nope, Tammy, she didn't say she was sorry. All she said is she didn't know there was a difference between the markers I use and the Sharpie marker she used. She didn't even offer to pay me the purchase price. I had to ask her. :( I'm not even being a bag about the ones I can't replace...well, I'm sure I can but at a cost...a large cost and I'm not even going to ask replacement cost which I really could/should. But before I get more ticked off about it I am going to try the Kiss Off stuff and my DH's toothbrush (rofl J/K :mrgreen: )

But y'all are right, I will never ever loan her anything ever again. Stamps or not, if she can't take care of my things then I'm just not going to do it again. I feel so mean saying that, I am one of those doormat people who have a hard time saying 'NO!' but I am going to practice that word and use it the next time she calls needing something.

LOL sounds like my help post turned into a vent, doesn't it... :rolleyes:

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone who borrows something should return it in the same or even better shape than when they borrowed it. Unfortunately not all people beieve ini this theory. Do not let her borrow anything else and I really would ask her to replace them at her expense. She ruined them so she should pay for them. Some people actually get mad that they get asked for the borrowed item back and do something to ruin it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybooView Post

Sorry, but this reminds me of when my DH lent a dutch oven to a neighbor for a scout campout. THE NEXT SPRING, when DH needed it and it still wasn't returned, he found it in their garage, opened it up and saw that it still had food in it from the SUMMER BEFORE!!! That took some serious cleaning, and we will not be lending to them again!! Good luck with your stamps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a little tip to clean stamps. Put a small amount of glycerin on a plate and place the rubber side down in it overnight. I have done this on several sets I bought second hand and it worked wonderfully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

That is just unbelievable! When I borrow something, I take better care of it than I would my own things! It's amazing how some people just skipped learning manners. So sorry this happened to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #33  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

someone posted that mr. clean magic eraser works good at stains on stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
Sorry, but this reminds me of when my DH lent a dutch oven to a neighbor for a scout campout. THE NEXT SPRING, when DH needed it and it still wasn't returned, he found it in their garage, opened it up and saw that it still had food in it from the SUMMER BEFORE!!! That took some serious cleaning, and we will not be lending to them again!! Good luck with your stamps!!
Eeeeuuuwwww! I think I would have just tossed it! I have done that with tupperware that got pushed to the back of the fridge and I just didn't want to deal with what was inside, LOL!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
That is just unbelievable! When I borrow something, I take better care of it than I would my own things! It's amazing how some people just skipped learning manners. So sorry this happened to you.
Me too! Some people are seriously clueless!

Tammy, I'm sorry this happened to you and hope you're able to get them clean. Let us know if anything works! I'm curious...

(PS, thanks again for the Bella!!!)

My Gallery...

Dear Lord, Please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
(One of my favorite sentiments from River City Rubber Works!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

I am so sorry your friend did not take good care of your stamps. I borrowed a stamp once, I got it tooooo dirty and bought her a new one. I think I would say something and that way she knows it was wrong.

as far as the cleaning goes. Maybee a childrens electric toothbrush and some gritty toothpaste will scrub it out. I hope they still stamp okay!!:?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

I think I'd let her know just how hard you are working on getting this stuff off and maybe mention, "You know, I'm trying so hard to get this stuff off so you won't have to buy me a replacement set." *wink*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I wonder, did she use them for a project with a girl scout troup or Sunday School, or in general, with children? I guess given the situation, I would want to know what the circumstances were.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a fair few stamps, I used to run a stamping club and they stamps there got totally filthy, these were seasoned stamper who I am sure would have threw a hissy fit if we did the same to their stamps, I never could understand how they so readily would ruin mine. On our last meeting 8 months pregant I rather loudly said I was upset some of my brand new never seen ink stamps were now ruined. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so interested in Kiss Off now... I will have to get some and try it. I tend to trash my stamps to be honest... but paint is something I always want totally off when I'm done.

So sorry that this happend with your friend... Hopefully it all works out.
Reply With Quote Likes