Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottle Cap Magnet ???

I want to make some of these magnets, but wondered what YOU use to fill in the bottlecap, over the image..I have seen a couple off different sites that list different things, like Judikins Diamond Glaze, and actual resin..
Have you ever used Crystal Effects?
I have made two, one using Crystal Effects, the other using Plaid Dimensional Magic. I did them yesterday after lunch, and they are still cloudy.
Wondering if they are gonna dry some more and become completely clear, or should I find something else to use?
What are your experiences?
Thanks!
Keri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #2  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KerilouView Post
I want to make some of these magnets, but wondered what YOU use to fill in the bottlecap, over the image..I have seen a couple off different sites that list different things, like Judikins Diamond Glaze, and actual resin..
Have you ever used Crystal Effects?
I have made two, one using Crystal Effects, the other using Plaid Dimensional Magic. I did them yesterday after lunch, and they are still cloudy.
Wondering if they are gonna dry some more and become completely clear, or should I find something else to use?
What are your experiences?
Thanks!
Keri
i've not made these Keri, so this is just an idea ;)

try using a couple of layers of crystal effects, letting them dry in between. most likely, it's cloudy because the top has dried and the air can't get to the underneath part to dry the crystal effects.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Just subbin' in on this one! Would like to know the same answer...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Great idea, Cat...thanks.
I just started two more, and will try to do 2 or 3 thinner layers and see how it works out...
Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Oh, I can't even begint to tell you how much I have struggled with this very issue! I wanted to make some bottle cap jewelry, and I searched online forever to find out what works best to fill the bottle caps.

I tried Diamond Glaze and DG3 Art Gel first...I didn't really like the results of either. Plus, it just took too many layers to get the depth I wanted. I have also heard these products don't wear well, so I worried about using them to make a bracelet, which would get banged around.

I tried Envirotex Lite resin next. The results were better, but there always seemed to be a slight haze to it. I wanted them crystal clear - like glass.

I finally ended up trying Easy Cast Clear Casting Epoxy...now THAT did the trick. The end result is crystal clear...it looks just like glass!

I can't tell you how many bottle caps and images I have ruined trying to find the perfect product. Good thing bottle caps are cheap! ;-)

Now I just have to find a way to keep myself from filling them too full...my latest problem is the resin spilling over the edge of the bottlecap. Sigh...

Still a work in progress, but at least I've finally found what in my experience is the perfect product!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

And where do you find this easy cast clear casting epoxy??

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I got mine at Michaels with my 40% off coupon! Follow the directions carefully...the part about it being warm is especially important. Otherwise, it may result in a cloudy cast.

But when done correctly, it has worked like a charm for me and I've done several pours now. Beautiful results every time.

It isn't the easiest or quickest solution, but for me, it produced the best results. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Another thing to add is that, even though it takes time to mix the solution correctly, and takes even more time for it to cure completely, for bottle caps I only have to pour it once, rather than doing multiple layers like you would for Diamond Glaze and products like that.

You can get this stuff thick enough in one pour and it dries very clear. So you don't have to spend the time waiting for one layer to dry, pouring on more, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks for all the info, carmenv..I am gonna look for this stuff next time I am in Michael's. What area did you find it in?
Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default bottle caps

I make them by the hundreds and have always used Crystal Effects without any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

It isn't that I had any problems with Crystal Effects...I just couldn't get it as thick as I wanted it. Crystal Effects protects the image, but...for me, it doesn't give the glass like effect I'm looking for at the depths I want. I guess it is just personal preference!

Kerilou - it is in with all the glues and sealers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmenvView Post
It isn't that I had any problems with Crystal Effects...I just couldn't get it as thick as I wanted it. Crystal Effects protects the image, but...for me, it doesn't give the glass like effect I'm looking for at the depths I want. I guess it is just personal preference!

Kerilou - it is in with all the glues and sealers.
Oh, you have convinced me, and now I can't wait to get some to try.....thanks so much for being willing to share your experiences. Don't have a M's here in my town, but hoping that Hobby Lobby will have it, and they have a 40% coupon this week. Yee-Haw!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a coupon this week, and I am hoping to get there. Is this stuff really hard to work with? Bubbles a problem? Are there any tips or tricks you can share with us?
I will for sure let you know when I get some and try it!
Thank you so much for sharing all of your information with us!
keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Would love to know any tips about using this stuff as well. Also, where do you get your bottle caps? I am wanting to make jewelry, and thought that some sort of pop logo on them would be fun! Can someone lead me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Some tips that I learned the hard way:

- I mentioned before that you need to make sure the resin and hardener are warm. I place them in a small tub of warm (not hot) water for 5-10 minutes prior to use (as recommended in the directions that come with the product).

- Follow the directions for mixing EXACTLY. Proper mixing is probably the single most important element next to the temperature.

- I wait about 5-10 minutes after I pour the product, then check for bubbles on the surface. Most of the bubbles will pop out themselves, but if there are any left, I use my heat embossing gun to go very lightly over the resin. Don't get too close or you will blow the resin out of the bottle cap! It generally takes a couple of passes, but I continue with the heat until all the bubbles are gone.

- Make sure you let the items cure as directed. Also make sure that the room you leave them in is warm, or they won't cure properly. I leave a little heater running in my craft room to make sure the temp stays at around 70 degrees. This is especially important during the first 24 hours.

- Once I have finished my pour, I cover the items with a small plastic storage container to keep dust out. This stuff attracts dust and particles like crazy! I leave one end of the container up a bit (I prop it up with a small acrylic block) so that air can still get in.

Most importantly, don't be intimated. I was personally scared to death the first time I used this stuff, but after a couple tries you will get more comfortable with it, and the results are wonderful. It's worth it!

Oh, and I purchased a big package of clear plastic cups from a local party supply store to mix the stuff in. I got the 1 oz size for smaller pours, and the 2 oz size if I'm pouring several bottle caps at a time. They are cheap, so can be tossed after use. You will want to use something disposable to mix the resin in, as you can't really clean it out after you are finished. It is easy to see through these little cups to make sure you have the proper 1 to 1 ratio of resin to hardener.

That is about all I can think of right now! If you have any other questions, let me know. Believe me. I've learned the hard way through lots of trial and error, and was ready to give up MANY times. But I kept pursuing it and FINALLY got the results I was looking for, so I'm glad I kept trying.

Good luck!

Oh, and I purchased my bottle caps pre-flattened at the Heirloom Rubber Stamp show in Puyallup last spring. I can't remember the maker. I think you can also find them in big lots on eBay. Or the beer supply stores? Not sure where to get them with logos already on them...most of the ones I've seen are plain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

One more thing...cover your work surface. I got resin on my craft desk and it hardened before I realized it. You can clean it up with alcohol while it is still wet, but...now I use butcher paper to cover my desk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks for all the tips, Carmenv!
I found TONS of options for bottlecaps on etsy.com
Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5925608

This place has great prices!
Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Keri--

All the tips are wonderful, and I will be printing them out. ;) I share the same feeling about being nervous in my first attempts, but your suggestions help give me a little more courage!

I picked up my epoxy resin stuff tonight at HL, it was $12.99 and then I was able to use a 40% coupon. So it was pretty reasonably priced, and gotta love those coupons. I found it in the aisle with all of the tile mosaic stuff.....not sure they are all laid out the same---but wanted to help if anyone was going to be searching at HL.

Any etsy links or other places of some examples?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I'll say hello finally, I've been stalking this thread the last few days.
The bottlecaps sound really cool, but I haven't seen any pics yet so I don't really know what they look like.
Does anyone have any in their gallery? I did a search and didn't have any luck.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gayle3131View Post
I'll say hello finally, I've been stalking this thread the last few days.
The bottlecaps sound really cool, but I haven't seen any pics yet so I don't really know what they look like.
Does anyone have any in their gallery? I did a search and didn't have any luck.
Thanks in advance.

I found these sites...hope it helps xx jo xx
http://thenewnew.blogspot.com/2008/0...-that-cap.html

http://www.love-eco.co.uk/products/b...ridge-magnets#

Last edited by kinglake; 10-02-2009 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: to add a link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Just wanted to say hi, Keri!

Remember the bottle cap charms I made for our swap a
few years ago? I used Diamond Glaze. hth

Have a great day!

lr
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

HEY dear LR!
Thanks for the 411~ I love those charms! Still trying to figure out what to do with mine..maybe put them all in a shadow box?
Keri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Gayle!
CarmenV- I found the stuff at Michaels last night, and got it with a coupon...so it was a bit under 8.00. I will post on here when I get a chance to work with it...I have bottlecaps, magnets, and images, but no great cups that I can think of, so I will wait until I think of or find something good to mix in, like you suggested...
Thanks again for all your advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Anybody try this yet? I have the stuff.....trying to decide which images to use. Then I hope that I have the courage to open the resin box and mix---
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Default Glass bubbles

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading all your tips. I gave up on the resin because I found some 1" glass bubble circles that fit perfectly into the bottle caps. But, the lady who sold them on Etsy doesn't have them anymore!! So now I'm stuck! Having a hard time finding another supplier. Do you guys know where to find these? They are so awesome and easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Default bottle caps!

Carmen, thank you for all your great info! I have 2 coffee cups full of bottle caps i have been saving for this exact project. I was wondering about what resin to set with because some can get SUPER warm and I was worried about the photos. I am looking forward to seeing how some of these caps turn out for people here!
Reply With Quote Likes