Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile A Book about Me...

Hi there! I don't post very often but I do read the forums and look at the "eye candy" all the time. I was hoping some of you could help me out with some suggestions for a "book about me".

It's been an extremely tough year for my family-a lot of sickness and my dad just died a month ago (very suddenly). Because of what has been going on in my life, I have not really stamped anything in about a year (July to be exact).

I've decided I want to stamp a book/journal about me. I don't want to abide by any rules. I am going to start in a small way, using one of the books from the Target $1 spot that you could stamp/scrap on. I am going to journal a bit about myself such as my name (how my parents named me), my family, my faves such as colors,food, hobbies...my typical day, etc...

Do any of you have any ideas of what else I can write/stamp/journal about? How about any site suggestions? I know this sounds weird, but I've decided this will help me work through my grief and also help my kids and their future generations of kids to know more about me, my family, and our feelings.

Can any of you help? I would be truly appreciative. TIA!

Serena Repsold
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am doing a book of me scrapbook....but I don't journal all that much in it. I think it's good to have some pics of me since I am always behind the camera. I have some of the pages in my gallery.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Remembering some of the really silly things that may have happened could add a lighter note. Sometimes journals that are compiled "after the fact" look more like lists and dates.
Little kids often do such silly things that their parents remind them often - usually in the company of the entire extended family. What stories did your tell that started with, "Remember the time that Serena.........."
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

First of all let me say, Sorry for all that you and your family have been through this past year.

What a great idea you have of writing a book about yourself. I think just writing what's in your heart or just little notes about yourself in your own handwriting. I have a letter that my Grandmother wrote to me and I love it because it's in her handwriting. You can tell about yourself as a child, teenage years, etc. And of course lots and lots of photos. You'll have to keep us posted on your project.
Have a great day!
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have this saved in my files to do an album on this very subject -- hope this helps!

BOOK OF ME � outline part 1

Title Page
Decide on a title for your book (many people use simply “The Book of Me” but feel free to create your own!) Are there certain quotes that reflect your personality? A certain song? Certain colors? Example: if you consider yourself an outgoing person you may want to select colors that are vivid for your title page or if you are sweet and nurturing maybe pastels. This should be only one page and can be just a design or you may choose to include one or more pictures of yourself. Even a page of journaling about why you are doing this would be great.

Timeline
Draw up a timeline of your life. Make sure you leave plenty of room to add to the timeline (as your life is certainly not over yet). Depending on how you record your timeline and what information you include on it, you may need to use several pages.

Include major events in your life - some suggestions of what to include on your timeline:
� � Significant Personal Milestones eg. your birth, starting/finishing school, leaving home, getting your first job, meeting your significant other, getting married, the birth of your children, deaths of family members etc.
� � Major Historical Events - eg deaths of famous people, major inventions, wars, anniversaries, major political figures (eg. President), Summer/Winter Olympics etc.
� � Anything of interest to that you want to remember on your timeline.
Some websites for Historical information

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html - click on "Events" and then select your periods
http://www.historychannel.com - has "This day in history" - but this could get tedious tracking down information.
http://www.decades.com - another great sources of information for specific time periods
http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/index_uk.asp - Olympic games history
http://dmarie.com/timecap - dMarie Timecapsule

Some inspiration for your Timeline:
I have drawn up a couple of page sketches to give you some ideas on how to include a lot of information on one page (these are just a guide � you don�t have to use them)

I am...
Make a list of all the things that you are - a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandma, neighbor, friend, etc... Use photos of yourself with any of the people that you are one of these things too. If you don't have any photos - journalling how this role makes you feel would work just as well. Don't forget things like daycare mom, soccer coach, or other titles that you enjoy. I know some of you have done this on your title page, but this is your chance to tell more about those role and to think about other titles you have.

On-line Life
For this weeks challenge, I thought it would be fun to do a page or two about your On-line Life. How has the computer and the Internet changed your life? How much time do you spend on-line? What types of activities do you do? What web sites do you visit the most? What do you love about it? What do you hate about it? You could write about when you got your very first computer and when you got online for the first time. Record your memories of that moment and what you thought about it. Were you hesitant or did you dive in with both feet? What about other members of the household – do they use the computer as much as you? Have Fun! I am sure we will all have at least one common web site that we visit frequently!

Why I Scrapbook...
Why do you scrapbook? Why are you making this book? Do you enjoy the craft part or are you just on a mission to get your photos in an album? Why did you start to scrapbook? How has scrapbooking enriched your life or the lives of those around you? What kind of scrapbooker are you? Do you do a simple page in a couple minutes or a highly enhanced page in an hour? What is your favorite album/layout that you have created? What are your scrapbooking goals (this is a good place to include your page completion goal)? Remember to have someone take a picture of your scrapping to include it in this layout if you can and/or post a copy of your favorite layout (so far).

Firsts
Make a list of "firsts" - your first day at school, your first date, your first serious boy friend, your first kiss, your first job, your first home, your first time away from home, your first team sport, your first driving lesson, whatever�.it can be anything really. Journal about each of these firsts. Add photos if you have some - it's not essential, so don't get hung up on not having photos if you don't! What did they mean to you? How did you feel? How old were you? Did the experience shape the person you are today? You may like to do lists of firsts for different stages of your life.
Have fun with this challenge and fill your page (or pages) with reminiscences of your significant "firsts"

A day in your life
This next challenge is something a little different. I thought it would be fun to scrap a typical day in your life - as it is today. I saw this in one of the scrapbook magazines some time ago (it might have been Creating Keepsakes or Memory Makers - don't remember which issue though, sorry) and have wanted to try it since.

Choose a day, any day, and record everything you do for that 24 hours. Get someone to take some pics if you can - or attempt to take some self-portraits. Collect memorabilia to include - the receipt for your morning coffee, ticket stubs, maybe take a photo of the gas prices for the day - whatever you think is relevant. You could make this a kind of time capsule. Imagine looking back at this in 10 years time!

Who are your VIPs - Very Influential People?
Which people have influenced you the most? Are they family, friends, or maybe a famous person? Are they alive or dead? How did the influence you? Do you strive to be like them? Or are you already like them? What is your favorite memory of them? You can include as many people in this as you want or just write about one person.

Animals
In this challenge we will explore your relationship with animals. Are there special pets in your life now or in the past? Did you always want one and never get one? Not an animal lover? Tell us what you dislike about them. Do you have a favorite type of animal? Are there any that have become sort of a symbol to you? If you were an animal what animal would you be? Do you like to visit the zoo? Enjoy bird song? Do you have any stories about unexpected encounters with animals?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Book of me outline part 2

Love/Hate
Part #1 A random list of things you love.
This does not need to include people, although it can – the idea is more of a listing of the things that bring you joy. Do you like the smell of burning leaves or baby powder? The taste of chocolate or fried green tomatoes? How about pinguins or fireflies? I suggest you carry a piece of paper with you for a week and write down things when they come to you – it will be easier than trying to sit down and write a list off the top of your head. Take some time to indulge your mind while you think about all the wonderful things you love (big and small)!
Part #2 A random list of things you hate (or to put it more mildly � things that bug you!)Same idea only this time you get to be picky! We don’t want our books to be filled to the brim with only one side of the story – If you are like me there are just as many things that you hate, as there are things you love. Is it waiting in line or bad service that gets your goat? Do you hate the taste of peppermint or eggs? Does the smell of smoke or flowery perfume set you off? Come on ladies – let us have it!

Popular culture
Tell us about your "popular culture" - this could include music, art, TV, Film, books, fads, fashions, hobbies, etc.
You might like to do a "blast from the past" page listing your favourite memories of musicians/music, TV shows, Films etc. from when you were a teenager. You might also like to do a page on your current favourites and then revisit in 10 or 20 years to see how things have changed

I have already done a page on favourite TV shows from my childhood, also one on my favourite restaurants from a few years ago. I plan to do one on my favourite TV shows now. I love to read books so I might do a page on that as well. You might have some great photos to showcase fashion trends - how about "hairstyles through the ages"? LOL

Education
Remeber education is not just schooling but what you have learned in life. What is your education? Has it been more formal or informal? What was your favorite part of school growing up (including classes, teachers, clubs, sports, etc...)? When do you think you learned the most? Did you subscribe to the school of life? What about friends you made at school? Were they lasting friendships and if so, do you still have contact with them today? How much has your education formed the person that you are today? Do you dreams of furthering your education in the future? If so, how? And what is it you'd like to learn?

FEAR
What are you afraid of? You can choose to focus on rational or irrational fears. Is it public speaking, mice, flying, heights, spiders, roller coasters or some other fear that has you shaking in your boots? Can�t think of anything now � what about when you where a kid? The dark, boogie-man or monsters under the bed? We all fear something and now is the time to delve into that fear and how it makes you feel. This can be a serious page or a light-hearted making fun of your whimpiness kind of page.

Favorite season/time of the year �
This could be a great place to use pictures. Basically do you have a favorite season or time of the year and why? Was your best memories of 4th of July at the beach or possibly Chrismas at the ski lodge? Or do you love the changing leaves of fall the best? Have fun with this one.

Childhood Dreams (Career)

I am sure we were all asked the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” when we were little. Now is the time to explore your answer. Did you want to be a ballerina, a schoolteacher, a fire fighter? Did you become that or if not when did you change your mind about your career goals? Or you could choose to focus a little later in life and take this angle: Did you know early on you would or would not go to college? What influenced you in your decisions and how has it affected the person you are today?
Or perhaps you are still trying to decide what you want to be when you grow up.

Travel
Do you have any travel aspirations or dreams? Are there places you have always wanted to visit? Have you visited them yet, or is that something you'd like to do in the future? If you haven't yet, why not? Do you like to travel? Why? Why not? What was the favourite place you have visited? What are your favourite memories of travel? If money was no object, where would you like go and what would you like to see? Make those dreams big

Dreams for the Future
What are your dreams for the future? Basically what is your dreams now? Do you dream of a big family, huge house, to do mission work in Africa, to give 10% to the church etc. Do you dream smaller, maybe for a pet, or to buy a new car or to sky dive? Write about what you want "when you grow up". Also, if you can get a picture of a specific thing (i.e. the puppy that I want) you can include that!

What�s Your Sign?
You know, your zodiac sign! Tell us what your sign is and some of the traits the sign is suppose to carry. Does it describe you well or not at all? Do you read horoscopes and follow the stars or do you think it is all a bunch of poppycock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and difficulties. There is (or was?) a book out there just for this subject.

I'd also recommend that you do a small memorial album for your Dad...or at the very least a few pages in your own album. I've lost two babies and that is how I started scrapbooking. It was very theraputic. Most recently I've lost my father (in August) and I've also done an album for him.

There is also a forum for scrapbooking here at SCS and you might even get more responses there. If this is something you are wanting to pass down to your children make sure all the products you use are acid free (not sure which $1 books you're talking about from Target).

Good luck.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

you got some great ideas already althought I just skimmed! I would add silly stories, some dreams you have had, regrets, goals, what's popular now, the fads you went through! What a great idea have fun with it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't scrap, but loved all the suggestions above, but wanted to wish you comfort, {{{{{{{{{{Serena}}}}}}}}}}, and send you best wishes for happy times ahead as you begin this project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 05:09 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Thanks for all your suggestions...

Hi everyone,

I just knew that I could count on you for all your wonderful suggestions. The SCSers really are a wonderful close knit family! Thank you also to those who expressed sympathy over my father. Last night I asked my mother in law if she would make a book with me for her grandkids (my kids) now I am off to work on my mom to get her to join our projects. Thanks again for all your support and your great suggestions.

Hugs,
Serena Repsold
Reply With Quote Likes