Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2004, 05:12 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't hesitate joining --sending a donation benefits you and me and everyone- don't let one opinion sway your choices! This is a great site.

Schrades
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:19 AM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Default thanks..

I really love THIS SITE. It is so beneficial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:19 AM   #43  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Re: Thinking about joining the fan club...but can't decide..

Quote:

Originally Posted by janicemarz
Hey there. I am so torn about joining. I'm fairly a new member..so far this site is by far the BEST stamping resource that I have come across. What are the pro's of joining??
Don't feel you HAVE to join the DD Fan Club! You can enjoy everything else (all those lucious samples!!) on the site without donating. You still get great samples, great advice and lots of new friends......

I can't speak for anyone else. I "PP'd" because it felt right!! I love it here and it's the only site I check with any regularity (oh, I'm sorry, did I infer there were other sites out there?!), because it's simply the best there is.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:20 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

I hope this thread doesn't get blown out of proportion and hurt feelings result.

There was just a thread about all of us being 'big girls' and being able to handle a little debate without getting all riled up about it. I think it's ok to express opionions whether positive or otherwise. I don't think anyone has been rude or inappropriate in asking this question or expressing their thoughts. The fact is...posting a question about donating money and whether or not it's worth it just stirs up strong feelings and opinions! Everyone has the right as long as your opionions aren't intentionally directed toward another person in a negative way.

As far as how I feel on this topic...I donated before the secret was out. I wasn't able to donate the entire amt that is being asked for, but because I did it before the secret was announced I get the DDD gallery priveledges. That being said...I plan on donating more when I have the extra $$ and that is with already having this access. Some people might say "why donate more when you can already get into the gallery?". Obviously I'm not donating for that reason. I love this site and as many of you have already said...it's cheaper than a magazine subscription and a million times more helpful!

Great Job SCS team!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:22 AM   #45  
Mad Swapper

I'm not flaming RUNUTS - they asked a valid question, "Where does the money go?" - but maybe didn't phrase it the right way. Anyway, my dear hubby is a computer nerd for IBM and we have a web server in our house for my other business. Believe me, it gets expensive to have a webserver on your own, instead of using an internet service! And the upkeep and constant maintenance is incredible. My little server spends close to $40 a month just in electricity - our energy bill has gone up so much! And then there is the hardware you have to buy - drives, memory, motherboards, - it all adds up. With 7,000 members and the amount of bandwidth SCS uses it has to be an incredible amount of money. Just think - this used to be out of pocket for Daven and Tracy!! I can only humbly give a small amount to these two, but well worth it! Thank you so much to everyone who provides us with such a great resource! I don't know what I would do if this site went down! I hope Daven is using the money for extra health insurance!! Stay safe Daven, we need you!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:27 AM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default That's okay

RuNuts-It's okay to express your opinion. We can appreciate different views. As you can see, many people are passionate about SplitCoast Stampers and that is why you have gotten all of the posts on your comments. I don't think it really has anything to do with anyone being up on a pedistal. People have just found a lot of friends and happiness from Splitcoast and they felt they had to defend SplitCoast after your comments. A lot of time and effort does go into keeping this website going, and that is appreciated by many.

I'm glad you can see that you are, indeed, getting an extra bonus with the Dirty Dozen gallery now. It isn't just available to anyone. SplitCoast honors what they said they would.

I hope you will enjoy SplitCoast as much as we do! Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:27 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

There are some that came right out and said that I was rude, and I should not come back, and that is fine! I asked a question, that is all. I do however think some of you ladies are a bit full of your selves to talk to anyone as though we don't have the right to ask questions.

I didn't say I saw the benefit to the DD gallery because if you are a member you can go into their galleries and see most of the posts. I believe the benefit of a donation, for donation sake, but to say you are getting a special priviledge is still wrong. because as much as you all deny it you can go in and view them( in personal galleries as a regular registered member, not as a guest) and Lana some are on a pedistal!

Runuts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:32 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

WOW~this months DD gallery is in the works........Yippy Yippy..........
Do we know the "subject" yet or do we have to wait??

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:44 AM   #49  
Forum Fanatic

Default `

Don't anyone hesitate about joining this site. I know I said I wasn't going to, but my paycheck is not that big and I just can't afford it. As I said, if things were different and my dollar per hour was higher, I would consider it, but I financially can't do it right now.

I just want to make sure my personal opinion is financially based, not opinion of the site based! Just making that clear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:49 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUnuts
There are some that came right out and said that I was rude, and I should not come back, and that is fine! I asked a question, that is all. I do however think some of you ladies are a bit full of your selves to talk to anyone as though we don't have the right to ask questions.

I didn't say I saw the benefit to the DD gallery because if you are a member you can go into their galleries and see most of the posts. I believe the benefit of a donation, for donation sake, but to say you are getting a special priviledge is still wrong. because as much as you all deny it you can go in and view them( in personal galleries as a regular registered member, not as a guest) and Lana some are on a pedistal!

Runuts
JUST TO CLARIFY - if you are a registered member, and have not been added to the Fan Club, you CANNOT see the DD gallery submissions, whether through the DD gallery, or in the personal galleries. If you have been added to the Fan Club, you CAN see the DD gallery submissions both in the DD gallery and in the personal galleries. We have tried all ways of sneaking in, with different user names, etc., and could NOT. This was all before the gallery went live on the 12th.

I don't believe it was ever said that the gallery was a "special privilege" - we did it was a small gesture of thanks to those who have donated. Daven works very hard to keep this site FREE to its registered users and guests. The donations and google ad revenue provide funds to keep the site operational. Without the site, the world would hear our screams of agony! (Maybe it's a bit out of proportion ;))

Thanks to you all for your input - on both sides of the thread. Isn't that what makes this place so great? Isn't that what keeps you coming back? Differing opinions, stamping styles, perceptions. . . all of them make for a great mix here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:50 AM   #51  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a friend's house who is a member, but has not donated. I wanted to show her something in the DD Gallery Jenn had made (the vintage family things) Although she is a member, she has not donated, and even in Jenn's gallery I was unable to see it until I logged in under my name there. (of course, I changed it back when we were done! LOL)

As has been stated before, it is hard to read emotion on a posting. Most likely RUnuts just had a ? and was posting it. Likewise, when the people respond, their tone may have been difficult to read. I am sure everyone's intentions on this thread has been to clarify their viewpoints and express their support for this wonderful site.

On a happy note- check out some of the new uploads-and get stampin'!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

All I want to say is that, "special" gallery or not, I wouldn't mind if Daven got paid a bunch of extra money for running this website. At times it must be a full-time job for him. Since we are getting an incredible benefit from this site, I say "wonderful!" if Daven gets a little money on the side, and maybe even gets a decent paycheck for all the work he does for us. Can you imagine if half of all the members donated $20.00 annually? We could have him all to ourselves!!! (Maybe Daven's not ready for that yet....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 06:02 AM   #53  
Crimping Master

Hey Denise, I'm with you--let's change the subject. This one has been beaten to death. I'm glad people had a chance to voice their opinions but for me, I'd like to move on to a more upbeat day.

What is the challenge this month for the DDD??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 06:02 AM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just wanted to post b/c it seems like we haven't heard from any members who are NOT in the fan club...

I am NOT currently in the fan club & I CANNOT see any tags! I have just gone through 6 of the DD galleries.

Maybe this is just an oopsy for 1 member? That could've happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 06:03 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

I've spent money on books and magazines each year to derive ideas and stamping techniques to help my business thrive. Spending less than $2.00 a month, I feel, is a cheap investment into my business. I have donated the money and will donate in upcoming years. I love the information, ideas, and updated techniques that I get from this site. There are a very few people doing a tremendous about of work to provide this service. My hats off to ALL of you. SCS is the BEST!!!

Michelle Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:22 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan.stamp
Hey Denise, I'm with you--let's change the subject. This one has been beaten to death. I'm glad people had a chance to voice their opinions but for me, I'd like to move on to a more upbeat day.

What is the challenge this month for the DDD??
i think this is another one of the big SECRETS!!!

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUnuts

Runuts
It's really too bad that you feel some of the ladies are "full of your selves" and that you see some of them as on a pedestal. All that I've found here is some great people, some amazing new friends, and my long lost (or is that newly found?) twin. I couldn't be happier.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion! Sorry if you see responses to yours as being "full of themselves".

As for the rest of us.....we're just so happy to be here and thankful to the "team" for everything they do for us.

Morning, Lana!!
;)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:50 AM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

I had intended on donating but the dirty dozen inspired my to get off my lazy tush and do it. Who cares that everyone has access to the tags.. I am glad I donated! This is a great site, and I can only imagine all the hours Daven puts in, on his own free time!!! I wouldn't care if all the donated money went into his pocket! He spends so much time on this he deserves it!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU DAVEN and apperciate all the time you have given! Me donation was minor to the donation Daven makes for US!
Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #59  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

well, good morning everyone! interesting topic ya'll got here :^)

first of all, to RUNuts. I don't mind at all that you're asking these questions, no one else should mind either. your accusations do sting a little bit though. Jenn is correct on all points, despite any rumors. No one but Fan Club members have access, anywhere, to the DD galleries (yep, that's plural. the Dirty Dozen have already gotten started on the August gallery; we'll unveil it on the 15th).

thanks to all for your kind comments. I never get tired of them

as to the rest of it. yes! donations *have* exceeded our out-of-pocket costs of paying for a server. they enabled us to pay someone so that our latest server migration took two days instead of two weeks. among other things they're also enabling us to get some hours from a professional web developer so that improvements can come quicker (without Josh's help for instance, we wouldn't have had the home page modifications for convention week).

our largest cost of all is time cost, certainly. running this site has slowly been changing from a part-time endeavor into a full-time job. problem is, I've already got one of those! that leaves me and my family in a difficult spot. two full-time jobs is not something I can continue doing forever. when it comes to the choice between the full-time job that pays me money, and the full-time job that's a labor of love, I'd have to choose the one that allows me to have a house and eat lots of candy.

since we began accepting donations though, a new possibility has entered my head - that the site could actually *be* the job someday (I tend to have crazy thoughts like this all the time but generally try not to share them lest *others* think I'm crazy).

anyway, time will tell. in the meantime, we continue to be amazed and happy that so many of you enjoy it here. no one should hesitate to speak their mind, and I know you all try extremely hard to keep things civil, much appreciated. now I gotta get to work...

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #60  
Kookie Creator

I came to this site for over a year before I donated. I donated when I did because I wanted the site to continue as a "free" site. I was at a point that I could afford to donate. I hated my own thoughts that in the future the site would be forced to become a paid member only site. I wanted to contribute because I felt that my donation would help provide the site free for others who cannot afford to donate. This site is a source of companionship and fun for me. I want it to continue for those who donate as well as those who cannot give. I only hope that I will be able to contribute next year as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

I think those of us who do see the value of this wonderful site are sometimes "quick to the draw" to defend it and those who maintain and do all of the work. I really don't know what it entails as far as management of the site, costs, and etc. but can imagine it is a lot to do and would be overwhelming for myself and many others. I'm thankful we have this wonderful team in place to do that for us in order to keep the site up and running and FREE for everyone. So I'm happy to donate, special DD gallery or not. I'm sure everyone would agree that if you DO NOT see the value and choose not to contribute, then so be it. Thankfully, it has not come to a point where we are required to pay, and I think that has been the goal.

Thanks (again!) to the Splitcoaststampers Team for all your hard work. If you get nothing else, you should all get our gratitude!

JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:00 AM   #62  
Kookie Creator

Well said Daven!!!

My DH is a "labor of love" kind of computer guy, so speaking from the wife's point of view.....keep the "candy" coming!!!! :lol:

Thanks for all your EXTREMELY hard work and DEDICATION!!! I will be donating this week (and NOT because of this latest topic, I was planning on it anyway!!!)

I am SOOOO glad my friend Michele introduced me to this site!!!

You all are awesome!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

Just a thought we should all keep in the back of our minds! When we write things in this or any forumn it is difficult to put what people say in to persepective.. We may be reading things and taking offense when it was not written with that in mind! I know for the longest time I was writing everything in Caps, until someone told me that meant I was yelling!!!!!!
We should all be tolerent of everyones views! Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Donating to SCS worth it!

Wow....I sent money before it was solicited because I love the site and wanted to make sure it was able to continue....Keep in mind that running these sites when they get a humongous number of "hits" is terribly expensive. Bandwidth is not free and the time and effort it takes to keep things going is not without cost, either. I'm with many others - if you don't want to dontate, don't....but don't complain if there are slowdowns, etc. because they can't afford to upgrade to better servers. There are many ways to "get around" paying for something - you can read day-old discarded newspapers if that rings your chimes, but most of us are willing to pay for something that we deem worth the cost.
I am not against someone making a profit - I am more than willing to help them make that profit if they are providing a service that that I need and want at what I see as a fair price. Long live the American system of free enterprise!!!
Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We love you Daven! You do a great job, what is your favorite type of candy,I will have some in the mail toyou within the week...just in case you get fired from your real job for spending too much time keeping us all happy here!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

ROFLOL!

http://www.acbouquet.com/big_daddy.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:31 AM   #67  
Forum Fanatic

OMG ~ just looking at that makes my stomach hurt. That's a crazy amount of candy!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

Jenn ~ great idea. Daven, would that keep you happy?!
;)

We love you all! Thank you for giving us a site for "eye candy"!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:45 AM   #69  
Mad Swapper

Jenn - the fact that you knew about that site leaves no doubt in my mind what is your second passion!!! Thanks for sharing that site in a round -a-bout kind of way! Instead of candy though I think Daven is on to something - we could send him more money instead and then he would be working for us!!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:45 AM   #70  
Inking Addict

Huge thanks to the team members for all your time!!! I could tell that this site must take a huge amount of time and money and am thrilled that Daven would even consider giving up his other job in order to maintain this site rather than close this site if he had to make a choice.

Thanks Daven, Tracy, Jenn and Beate! It can't be said enough!

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:46 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

LOL Keri...I was just going to post that about Daven's fave type of candy until I read your post.

We can't help Daven out too much with his mortgage payments, but we can supply him with his favorite candy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #72  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

oh, you guys don't know the half of it. my candy habit is appalling...

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

I too donated before the announcement to give something extra to those that donated.

I donated because this is just an awesome site and I appreciate everything you guys have done to keep it going. I couldn't even imagine the number of hours (not to mention the amount of $) that keeps a site like this running! I have not been real active on this site and this is only my second time posting in the forum, but I just had to respond to this one because this was the perfect opportunity to pass onto the splitcoaststampers team how much I have appreciated you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

I donated for the reason that I love this site and truly appreciate what it has to offer. As many have said it is cheaper than a mag subscription and a lot more. You cannot post a card you have made to a magazine and have friendly people give you feedback immediately. You cannot get friendships from a magazine. You cannot get immediate answers from knowledgeable people about questions you want or need answers to right away from a magazine.

In my opinion if they make money from this site good for them! It was their idea and they started it. When my husband started his computer business a few years ago I didn't say honey we can do it as long as it constantly costs us money and we never make any profit from it. As long as we have fun that's all that matters.

I have been on other sites that do not allow the mention of other sites. They actually will delete the thread if another site is mentioned. If someone has a question here they will send them where to find the answer. It is not a competition site. It is a friendly community.

I too love this site. It has inspired me.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

So Daven...would we be better off paying your mortgage than keeping you supplied with candy????

So, what kind do you like? Chocolate, gummy candy, what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #76  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Holy cow....what a thread!

I just have one regret about my donation......I wish i could have given more! I donated B4 the secret was out.....I think this site is honestly a miracle!

I noticed that i could see the tags when i viewed the member galleries right away......However, I tried to take a more proactive approach and communicated with Davin, not because I was mad.....actually the opposite. I wanted to make sure no one got mad at this site and the incredibly hard workers on it. He was quick to answer me with the info. I got a glimpse Of what hard work they actually put into it this past week......they are amazing!

So I guess my point would be that if we have a concern about this site.......take it up with the correct people. That seems to me like it would accomplish more than starting a string. Not that you can’t start a string.....You just might get a correct answer, faster the other way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 AM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Daven, Tracy is one lucky girl! Not only did she marry a man who actually looks good with a shaved head, but you love candy too! My DH is appalled at my M&M habit and has me living without them to see if I feel better when I eat better. Well, I feel pretty much the same, but that could be because, as we speak, I'm stuffing my face with marshmallows.

RUNuts, I'm sorry that some people have been less than friendly in their comments to you. I hope the rest of your day is very happy and you find some time to stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #78  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

Oh, everyone, PLEASE, please please be careful with the candy! I have read reports that eating too much candy can cause you to lose your hair!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer

Oooohhh Jenn, how funny!!! And that basket is certainly named correctly!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2004, 09:10 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was wondering if anyone caught that one! I thought there was actually a big daddy candy bar out there, but this seemed appropriate!

Laura - don't you have emergency rations somewhere? As we speak I have a hand in the back (WAY back behind deposit slip books) of my second drawer here at work. A girl MUST have her chocolate, right?
Reply With Quote Likes