Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blog Candy? Just curious...

How many of us just go BLOG CANDY searching? Do you enter if you have the CANDY? Have you won? Have you offered BLOG CANDY?

My answer is if I come across BLOG CANDY and I don't have those items I will definitely give it a try. I have won once and it was something I already owned so that taught me the lesson, if I have, don't enter.

I have a closed BLOG (for a reason) and would love to offer BLOG CANDY soon.

J/W
Sheila
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I don't go searching, and most times am more likely not to enter to win when it's offered on blogs that I follow. It would have to be not just something I didn't have, but something I actually wanted. But that's just me .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't go blog candy searching either. I am with the above poster, I only enter if I really want the stuff offered because I already have so much stuff that I don't use anyway.
I could not resist doing the whole mo manning blog hop last week because each one of the designers offered blog candy in form of one of her digis. That really would be something I'd love to win. (Don't think I was lucky enough though!)
I did offer blog candy on my blog once. I am thinking of doing it again sometime in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I enter if it is something I want, or could use, but have never won. Maybe someday!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I've entered some. I have never won anything. I only enter if it looks like something I would use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Wink

I'm probably abnormal. I don't ever search for blog candy. Every once in a while I'll stumble across one I'll enter (i.e. when Pioneer Woman was giving away a weekend at her ranch, to learn to make sushi with a bonafide sushi chef--so cool!). Beyond that, tho, I rarely ever enter.

And, I've also never won. Of course, you can't win if you don't enter. LOL!

I have never offered blog candy myself and probably never will, by personal choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have offered blog candy on my blog a few times and its a fun way to share stuff that you have extra of!

I do enter when its stuff I want. I especially like the Paper Crafts Connection/Moxie Fab blogs. The candy offered there is always awesome. I was lucky enough to win on Tim Holtz blog once. That was cool!

I don't go actively searching for blog candy, though. Not enough time in my day!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't go searching for candy but if i come across one and want the stuff then i enter.I did this twice and WON both times.First time i got 6 rubber stamps and the second i got 150 pounds/275 dollars worth of cosmic shimmer goodies,how fantastic was that!!! xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't search for blog candy. I only visit a few blogs though ever since I got a nasty virus from one. But I did leave a post for some blog and I actually won! I won almost the entire set of the CTMH markers in an awesome tin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I try to offer blog candy every time I'm in a blog hop, usually something I've made that has a distinctive twist. (For the hop I'm in now, it's a set of bottle flags in a decorated tin.)

To me, it's a little way to say thanks to the people taking the time to visit--plus, it adds some fun and excitement. Don't we all like the thought of getting some happy mail?

I don't look for blog candy but sometimes enter if I come across it. Not if it's a 'big' prize, or something I already have or wouldn't use. . . .

Interesting thread, OP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I entered a lot when I first discovered it. I won some candy on Becca's blog from Our Daily Bread Designs. I couldn't believe it!! I decided not to enter for awhile so that I didn't win again. Wanted to give someone else a chance. Maybe I should start up again. I am flat broke, and there are many things I'd love to have. But, I will not enter if it is something I don't need or want.
My favorite cards on pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/rosersmk/cards/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I've never spent time searching for blog candy- but I do stumble accross some here and there. I must have been on a lucky streak as I won 2 in one week (first time ever winning anything)- both were items I did not have and one was one that I really loved and did not have the extra $ to go buy on my own (a full set of Copic glitter markers- wohooooo!). I guess one of these days I should do my own blog candy.....but I need some more followers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #13  
Vintage Vixen

I didn't even know what "blog candy" was until a while ago! :p I've entered a few times, just on blogs I routinely read, and have won something 3 times (and I'm not generally that lucky so I'm surprised). I don't enter just for the sake of entering; if the prize isn't of interest to me, I don't put my name into the hat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I don't go searching and I will leave comments if it's something that I want... I have actually won quite a few times and some really nice stuff like 3 complete stamps sets from one event... I like the candy but it doesn't make me surf - I go to blogs that I already like because they are my style.

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say that I don't go looking for it either. The few times I have entered, I haven't won anything anyway. But I have a certain criteria, first it has to be something I want and second, it has to be someone I visit regularly. I guess I feel guilty entering to win candy from someone's blog that I've never visited before/never commented on. Sorta like the only reason I came to check it out is because they might give me something.
But I'm like that IRL too, never liked showers (I felt too greedy!) and never did well with the home parties thing (too desperate!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm really not interested, with one exception: Papertrey. Even so, I only comment on their items I really want, not everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I never go hunting for blog candy and when I come across one, I almost never enter. I don't like all the stipulations of having to follow peoples blogs, post their blog candy on mine etc.

With that said, I do offer blog candy occasionally because I like to share what I love and only ask a comment in return to enter their names officially ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't look for it, per se, but I read a LOT of blogs. I have my Google Reader set up for ease of use and I've subscribed to between 80-100 blogs. When blog candy comes up, I will enter if it's something I like and would use. Otherwise, it's just extra junk to store in my house! I recently won for the first time - I won the Early Bird paper crafting kit from the Cosmo Cricket blog. Total score! One of my favourite lines from my favourite company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

last year I came across a really fun find of vintage stampendous Troll stamps ( remember those wild hair's on those critters) these were new in the bag ( a whole bag of them for 2.00 at a yard sale) so i bought them and i did do a "candy" give away for the duplicates... it was just something silly...

I don't search for give aways.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Hmm.. it's not really something I care a lot about. I look at the blogs more for inspiration and ideas and not so much for free stuff.

Now, if they were giving away real candy... well, that would be an entirely different matter. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I've never searched for blog candy and only enter when it's something ridiculously fabulous like all the Pioneer Woman giveaways...or if someone is giving away some stamping tool I can't afford (and I already follow their blog) ;)

I do give it away once in a while just because I have been given a lot of free papers and sometimes stamp sets, and little things and I feel lucky and want to pass that on. Also, I would never use all of these supplies I have accumulated, in 10 years of trying ;) Might as well give them to someone that needs them or will use them.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Ok, I see the term "blog candy" in so many places, but it is never defined. What is blog candy, anyway?

After reading the posts on this thread, I get the idea that you all enter some kind of contest to win something. But the important criteria seems to be that you must have a blog. Am I correct? If one does not have a blog, how much chance would they have of winning? I get the idea, not very much chance.

Is one of the points of entering these contests to get exposure for yourself and or the person whose contest you are entering?

Please don't take my comments as argumentative, I don't mean them in that way. There are just so many terms used on the internet and very few times are they really defined. Also, some terms mean different things to different people.

The only reason I would go onto someone's website (or blog as some people call them) is to read about a technique they used on a card or perhaps a tutorial.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Ok, I see the term "blog candy" in so many places, but it is never defined. What is blog candy, anyway?

After reading the posts on this thread, I get the idea that you all enter some kind of contest to win something. But the important criteria seems to be that you must have a blog. Am I correct? If one does not have a blog, how much chance would they have of winning? I get the idea, not very much chance.

Is one of the points of entering these contests to get exposure for yourself and or the person whose contest you are entering?

Please don't take my comments as argumentative, I don't mean them in that way. There are just so many terms used on the internet and very few times are they really defined. Also, some terms mean different things to different people.

The only reason I would go onto someone's website (or blog as some people call them) is to read about a technique they used on a card or perhaps a tutorial.

Patti
Blog candy is a giveaway or random drawing for some type of item--could be paper craft supplies or a tool, a book or magazine related to paper crafting, etc. (not Godiva chocolates, altho that would be pretty awesome! ;) )

In order to enter the giveaway, you must leave a comment at the blog hosting the candy, on said blog candy post by a deadline specified by the blogger. They then pull a name randomly from all the entries or use a random number generator.

Some folks offer blog candy as a means to thank their loyal readers.

Some folks offer blog candy to get exposure/traffic for their blog (you do not need to be a blogger or have a blog yourself to enter these candies) during a given time period. Studies do show that blog candies do not typically garner loyal readers; they usually just increase the traffic for the duration of the giveaway.

Some folks offer blog candy because they have excess supplies/materials they have never or will probably never use, and they'd like to get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

JulieHRR.....Thank-You for your explanation. Now I understand. I can also see it as a way for advertisement to draw people to your site. Not my cup of tea, but now I understand.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I have given "Blog Candy" away a couple of times on my blog, but it's always extras/duplicates of what I own and it's not a subscriber-grab either (subscribe to my blog, then comment and you could win... etc). I just give it away randomly and it's no big deal..

The give-aways I enter are the big ones too. (PW, PapertreyInk, Moxie Fab etc...) and I rarely enter for giveaways on the smaller blogs i currently read. Is it laziness? Probably... Is it the fact that I have enough stuff? Probably that too..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I have entered a few blogs that I follow for blog candy. I don't search them out. If I happen upon one that has something I like I will enter, and then I try to be sure to visit and comment on that blog as much as I can. I won a few times, one of them, I never recieved, and another, , I think the lady was alittle peeved that I won because that was the first time I visited her blog. I thank her on her blog in the comments and also thanked and promoted her on my own little blog. I could tell she was less than happy that I won. Sort of surprised me, but I dont visit her anymore. Blog candy is fun to try for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

It's really weird, when I search for it, I can't find it, but when I'm just reading a blog to see what people are making there is a big giveaway. I've entered them, but never won.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don`t go searching for blog candy - just too much out there in blogland. I`ve only entered a couple times on smaller giveaways when I first started stamping, but never won. Now, I will only enter if its something I really want, like when icopics had theirs contest for a set of markers, stuff like that. I just have too much stuff. I did recently give away some blog candy. Some of it I bought new and some I had. It was an impromptu giveaway and it was fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

I'm glad someone asked what blog candy was, because I wasn't sure either. I just commented on a post to enter one of these and wasn't sure I should since I don't have a blog myself. I loved the stuff that was being offered and wasn't really searching. I followed a link to see a card and found the candy invitation. I also found Technique Tuesdays drawings and I don't have any of their stamps so I've been entering. I would love to win one, but I am not a lucky person.:oops:

I do have a question. I see some people post more than one comment and I wondered if that gives them more chances in the drawing? Just curious. I only every post once, except once when someone asked something in the post.
Reply With Quote Likes