Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Friday thoughts...

Pardon my ramble here for a minute....but normally by now I have a huge list of Cricut Cartridges that I'm on the hunt for during Thanksgiving/Black Friday. But this year? Well, not a single one. Personally I don't think the sales are that great and while I picked up a couple of cartridges this year, the newer ones just are not to my taste. I'm a huge Cricut fan, but this year I think my wallet is safe from those purchases. I'm going to be checking out a few stamp companies instead. But part of me is wondering what my problem is? Anyone else feel a bit let down about the Cricut stuff this year for Black Friday?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you seen the Close to My Heart Art Philosophy Cricut cart? I loooove it. I don't think I'll need to buy another cart in awhile as this one seems to have a bit of everything (shaped cards, a font, labels, 3D objects, rolled flowers, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I bought the first Cricuit. It was like 200.00 and I hardly use it at all. I actually wish I never would have bought it. I think the prices of the carts are ridiculous. I was more into scrap booking when I bought it and I thought I would use it for the alphabets but I haven't sb for so long. It was sort of an impulse buy. I'm totally addicted to card making. So in my opinion I don't think many of the carts are a temptation. I look at them all the time but am never tempted to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't think it is just Circuit cartridge Black Friday deals that are not great. I have not seen one item on a Black Friday offer that made me jump up and say WOW I have to get that .

And it is not just Black Friday deals in craft items either. The Black Friday deals on wearing apparel, household items, sporting good, etc. are no better than the sales all year around.

Maybe the stores and the customers are burnt out on the idea of the Black Friday madness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have never been Black Friday shopping. I always wanted too but not to shop. I just want to set down with a cup of hot tea and watch the melee. I am a writer and gamer so I am always on the hunt for ideas on character development. I think Black Friday would give me so many. I am very shy and I hate crowds. Plus, my DH has to work the next day.

I do go out later on Friday night into Saturday morning because that is my shopping time. I get in on the later sales. Like last year at K-mart my DH & I found our Golden Unicorn. We got a meat slicer. Stop laughing! We have wanted one since we were first married and that was seventeen years ago. It was a steal price. We are still admiring it.

Crafting deals I always think are kind of blah around the Holidays. If you have children you can find some great buys. If your a homeschool parent you can find a lot of great art and science kits. I used to stock up.

Regular crafting deals are just blah. I shop in Michaels practically every week. This Black Friday sale ad is just blah. It reminds me of the store specials that are advertised every week except more children's kits and holiday items.

Cricut items there is one cart I would like. Then again I am outgrowing that machine since my art and crafting are taking on a different direction.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

If you have Menards [home improvement stores] in your area...they are offering Cricut Cartridges for $12.99 each. Limit 8 per customer. They open at 6 a.m. Friday [NOT midnight Thursday like some of the stores this year.]

I had to laugh at the LIMIT because every time I've ever gone there for an ad, be it craft or otherwise, they have NEVER had anything left in stock by the time I got there.

I'm not a Black Friday shopper either, but I may venture out to watch the madness. I'm a people watcher too! Besides, it's a great day for running into all your friends. Especially when you're from a small community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
have you seen the Close to My Heart Art Philosophy Cricut cart? I loooove it. I don't think I'll need to buy another cart in awhile as this one seems to have a bit of everything (shaped cards, a font, labels, 3D objects, rolled flowers, etc.)
This is one of the cartridges I actually did buy this year and I love it. I love the simplicity of the cuts. They are classic, beautiful shapes and designs. It's totally my style.

As far as my Cricut in general--I love it. I use it all the time. I think I'm just sort of disappointed that the "deals" this year are just less than a motivation for me to go out Thanksgiving night or to fight the crowds on Friday. So instead, I will do some online shopping at a couple of stamp companies that I've been wanting to try. I will help the "little guys" this year with my usual budget for crafty spending and that does make me happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
I'm not a Black Friday shopper either, but I may venture out to watch the madness.
When I was a newspaper reporter, I usually worked on Black Friday. I got up before dawn so I could go interview people waiting in store lines. Best Buy was always the most fun, with people in sleeping bags, huddled under blankets in lawn chairs and a few sleeping in pop-up tents on the sidewalk.

For me, Black Friday is much too stressful. I'm not competitive, pushy or grabby by nature -- and you almost have to be if you're going to get the deals.

I can't do my Black Friday shopping online, I don't do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Only once, a few years ago, did I shop the Black Friday sales, and once was one too many times. I only went to two stores though I planned on going to a couple more but by the time I'd finished shopping at the second store I was done. I thought that it would be a fun thing to do, but everybody around me was so cranky and the checkout lines were sooooooooo long, I just went home...grabbed a big cup of hot coffee and finished my shopping via the internet.

As far as crafting deals are concerned, I agree...with weekly coupon deals available for area craft stores all year long and ebay there doesn't seem to be anything worth specifically shopping for now. I've also been underwhelmed by the new/newer cricut cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't go to Black Friday sales either. However, It is a great day to get things done in peace and quiet.

Tomorrow I am going to the laundromat to wash my bedspread and mattress pad. They are too large to fit in my washer. I know I will not need to wait for a washer. The Laundromat will be mostly empty

If you need any groceries the grocery stores will be nearly empty in the morning too. There won't be a line at the car wash either:lol:
Even the Post Office is very quiet on Black Friday .
There are a lot of ways to save----time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't find any cartridges I had to have but I did a bit of crafty shopping today for me from my DH! LOL Might as well get it on sale and get more for the $$...

I do not think the sales are what they used to be either...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have never been Black Friday shopping. I always wanted too but not to shop. I just want to set down with a cup of hot tea and watch the melee. I am a writer and gamer so I am always on the hunt for ideas on character development. I think Black Friday would give me so many.
Ha! I hear you there! The Black Friday Shopper would make for a great character. What do you write? I am an aspiring writer, myself. I want to write screenplays.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I write war novels. I know that is quite unique for a girl. I also write erotica. Anais Nin type erotica not that kind of erotica. At the moment my writing is a big mess.

I went out tonight my first time. Since the stores were starting earlier I just had to see. Since Thanksgiving started out to be a horrid day it was a fun way to end the day. My DH has been rebuilding Joplin. His work schedule is thirteen to seventeen hours a day now. We told our family and friends we just wanted to stay home and rest. Apparently somebody didn't want that. Had a relative come over, plop herself down and ask my DH when he was going to start cooking and went as far as to start looking in the refrigerator for food. My DH was furious. He took her home. So, if we could do that kind of oddity Black Friday should be a breeze right?

Went to Michaels because I really wanted that Art Nouveau cartridge. I have fallen in love with my Cricut again because of that cartridge. It's so beautiful I am surprised PC released it, ROFL. No letters, lol. You know PC is famous for lines more geared to kid and cute images. Art Nouveau is a beautiful cartridge.

Michael's was packed but everyone was really sweet and lovely. Honestly, I think I was the only regular shopper there. I didn't see a lot of familiar faces. I only ran into one rude shopper. A group of women were literally standing in the main aisle not moving as they discussed art supplies. Carts laden down with new goodies. I needed to look at something. Went over to take a peek and this girl said in her snootiest rudest tone. "Do you need something?" I was nice but then I lost my temper and went off about her ego as I walked away. Besides that incident I thought Michael's was quite fun. I only bought my cartridge and my bird. It was fun to meet some new Cricut users who really love their machines.

Went to WalMart and that was very interesting. The Xbox line people were in lawn chairs and sleeping bags. I am not joking. I never seen that before. That's crazy! My WalMart had a whopping dozen Xboxes. I told the girl guarding them somebody was going to be disappointed and she shook her head yes.

One TV line was just huge and another one had no people in it. The line with no people the TV was really nice. The longest line besides the Wii & Xbox was for Shark vacuums. I thought that was just hysterically funny.

Everyone was very sweet and happy at WalMart. No fighting or craziness. Lots of camaraderie. I guess it's that Ozark Spirit in my area. WalMart I bought some sketching pencils because I needed them since little Miss Snotty pants wouldn't move so I could get them at Michael's.

I thought Black Friday was fun. I would never camp for an Xbox. I am really happy I got my cartridge.

Happy Black Friday to all those who brave it. I hope you find lots and lots of good deals. Don't pull that "Do you need something?" tone because that makes people mad who are usually laid back.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't get excited about the ads. Having 50% off craft coupons spoiled me. I can get what I want half off anytime! hehhehe

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

As a Canadian living in a border city (Windsor, across the river from Detroit), Black Friday shopping has almost as much meaning to us as it does to the Americans (even though we had our Thanksgiving over a month ago). Many people here will take the day off of work, go over the border on Thursday afternoon, stay overnight in a hotel just to avoid the INSANITY of trying to cross the border in the middle of the night. And, for us Canadians, where prices are generally higher with a much bigger tax hit (13% tax here vs 6% in Michigan) and less variety (some things we just can't get here), the savings can be quite significant. Adding to that is the fact that our money is hovering close to par with the US dollar, the savings can be even better than a few years ago.

That being said, many Canadian retailers are starting to have their own Black Friday sales right here, in order to keep our money in our own country.

I shop in the States fairly regularly (my daughter has her favourite stores that we just don't have here), but avoid Black Friday itself like the plague. I do not have the patience to cross the border (which can be at least an hour of just sitting and waiting to get through customs, let alone the hour to literally cross the bridge or tunnel), drive to the stores, then wait in line for hours, navigate the crowds, pushing & shoving, rude & cranky people, the mess, and then worrying about how much I have spent and paying in cash only so that I can get it back across the border without having to either

a) wear 6 shirts, 3 bras, 2 pairs of pants, enough jewelry to make Mr. T. jealous, and convince the border guard that yes, we really did actually have all those toys thrown in my trunk randomly when we crossed over earlier - no we didn't just buy them here and toss the bills and packaging, how could you even suggest that!

or

b) pay at least another 13% of our total bill in secondary inspection to cover our taxes, which pretty much negates a lot of the deals

And for many electronics, although the deals are phenomenal, there are warranty issues when it crosses the border (sometimes bringing it to Canada invalidates the warranty). And things like car seats are not a good idea - for a Canadian living in Canada, it is actually illegal to use a car seat purchased outside of Canada, and using one can lead to fines, demerit points applied to your driving record, border guards and police can confiscate them.

So, no Black Friday shopping over there for me - too crazy for me. But I will probably go there at least once between now and Christmas.

For all those who have or are shopping today - good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not a black Friday shopper either. My daughter and I were going to a small town with cool boutiques and shops but the group going fizzled out. We are now venturing out into BLACK FRIDAY but we won't get to the mall until noon or later. It might be fun just to get in on the tail end of the frenzy. I've never gone shopping on BF. I may never go again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am recovering from surgery, so I couldn't go even if I wanted to. Typically not a big Black Friday person, but I have gone on occasion. I will say though, I really haven't been impressed this year either. I have been very disappointed in Cricut cartridges this year. Nothing said buy me. It really makes me wonder how they come up with their ideas for the cartridges. There really aren't very many that appeal to me. That said, I was also really disappointed in the sale prices for them this year too. The only place I wouldv'e like to have tried was Menards, like Beverly said, but who knows if you could have even gotten one (for $12.99).

Oh well, I just stay home, resting and enjoying SCS! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Loved reading all your posts. I will go shopping with my husband later today/tonight. He is the shopper in our house and I have to try to talk him out of buying things that aren't probably needed ... I am a financial counselor, teach personal finance, and develop curriculum for the military. I teach people how to get good deals and shop smart. Fun job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Guess I'll report in about Menards...I have no idea...LOL. I wasn't able to leave the house today, but my hubby went to a guy store on a completely NON-Black Friday errand. He ran into some guys who were at Menards this a.m. when they opened at 6. They said the entire parking lot was full and they had to park on the grass near the store.

So, no idea if the $12.99 Cricut cartridges lasted more than 2 minutes or two hours. With a limit of 8, I would have hoped they had TONS in stock, BUT they typically have about 12 total!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
my hubby went to a guy store on a completely NON-Black Friday errand. He ran into some guys who were at Menards this a.m. when they opened at 6. They said the entire parking lot was full and they had to park on the grass near the store.
I can just see it ... all these hubbies heading to Menards for a quiet morning of tool browsing or to pick up something for a honey-do project while the wife is fighting the Black Friday crowds at Target and Wal-Mart. Only they are greeted by a huge group of women, pushing and shoving and crowding their way through the doors to get their hands on a $12.99 Cricut cartridge. LOL

In nearby Los Angeles, there was a lady who used her pepper spray to gain an advantage during Black Friday shopping at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

We don't have Mernards in my area. My DH would be living there since they sell tools, lol. I am always hearing about Mernards I am so curious.

Tiggerificandy I agree with your post about shopping smart and finding good deals. I think a lot of Black Friday are gimmicks. I used to teach frugality.

I did find some good deals today. I got a beautiful computer over $1,000 for 60% off. My computer was not a listed Black Friday deal. I just lucked out. I have put her in layaway. I will have her out in a couple of weeks. I hardly can wait.

My DH surprised me with a Cricut Imagine. I didn't want one because I didn't think it was my style. I love my Imagine. It's an amazing cutter and opened up so much for me as a crafter.

I did think people were ruder Friday evening than Thursday evening. Guess the turkey wore off.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Next year, I hope we see something other than 10% off most things, 20% off stamps only, 40% off old merchandise that nobody has bought the past five years, or spend $75 and a free something that's a secret to the buyer -- and probably includes something from that stack of old merchandise that nobody wanted to buy the past five years.

Maybe there were a few good deals out there, but the majority of Black Friday deals that I saw seemed to range from ho-hum to downright insulting. It was good for me because I don't have money to spend this year. But I'd be really disappointed if I'd scrimped and saved money just for Black Friday craft shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree and yet they just announced that the Black Friday sales were 6.6% higher than any year since they have kept records . Amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I agree and yet they just announced that the Black Friday sales were 6.6% higher than any year since they have kept records . Amazing.
That is SHOCKING, especially in light of the unemployment rate and the number of foreclosed homes in the U.S. these past three years. I'd like to think of it as good news. Maybe the economy is going to turn around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

There is a possibility that people did most of their shopping on Black Friday.
They showed long lines of people with overflowing carts of toys and such.
It is hard to imagine that they have much more shopping to do.

If that is the case it will be a bleak holiday sales year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

I saw a lot of toy and kids clothes buying. Craft wise I saw a lot of women buying fake flowers for displays and wreaths. I saw a lot of kit buying. DH & I are gamers so we did hit the game stores this year and they were going crazy. I didn't see a lot of console buying but the games were flying off the shelves. Movies seemed to be a big seller too. My observation it was a lot of little things people were buying. I know the hot TV that WalMart had advertised for Black Friday was still available at my store. I don't think it's going to be a high ticket item season.

I did find some good deals and kept way under budget. I am a bargain hunter. If there is a bargain to be found then I will see it. I like the hunt even though I don't buy. I used to post at a forum where I help post great deals. I still have that mind frame when shopping to hunt for the trend bargains and deals.

I am a late night shopper. Usually on Black Friday through Sunday the stores are jam packed till after midnight. I went in WalMart around 11p.m. Saturday and it was quiet. I am thinking people took advantage of sales this weekend and are all shopped out. Most of the stores I went too tonight were very quiet, even Michael's. I am done X-mas shopping now and my gifts are wrapped. I get a quiet holiday. I don't know if I will do this Black Friday thing again. It was exhausting, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

I am done X-mas shopping now and my gifts are wrapped. I get a quiet holiday.
This is very interesting!! They reported the Black Friday spending was 6.6% over last year and the best Black Friday on record. However, seeing the pictures of people with overflowing shopping carts I wonder how many people did ALL of their shopping on Black Friday and now they are done.

IF that is true this will not be a great shopping season for retailers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I went to Michaels for a bit on Thursday night. There was a moderate crowd. It was about perfect. Then we went to Toys R Us. The line to get in was hideously long. As soon as we got into the store, I found the end of the check out line and just stayed there as my daughter shopped. People were frustrated. It was difficult to shop because the aisles were full of people waiting in line. It was a 3 hour ordeal. I will not go back to that store again. Then we went to WalMart. I think mostly everyone was good humored, but I was getting tired. We went home for a little sleep then hit JoAnn's early on Friday a.m. JoAnn's was OK unless you had fabric to cut. Since fabric was the big draw, of course we had fabric. We waited for 3 hours to have our fabric cut. Usually it is fun because I am with my family. I guess I was tired from the night before so it didn't feel as fun. If things are similar next year, I would do Michael's again on Thursday night. I would go home and get a good night's sleep and hit the other stores the next day, regardless of what the sales are. Internet shopping has become so easy--whatever I think I need I can get online. Traditionally, Black Friday has been mother/daughter/sister day. I don't want that to change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

The only good cricut sales I seen was the imagine at wal mart and the sale on carts at menards which I don't have one any where near me. I didn't think the cart sales at the craft stores were any good. You can get better prices on the carts at Ebay. I didn't get one craft item this Black Friday and I usually get something. I am hoping cyber Monday will be better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
This is very interesting!! They reported the Black Friday spending was 6.6% over last year and the best Black Friday on record. However, seeing the pictures of people with overflowing shopping carts I wonder how many people did ALL of their shopping on Black Friday and now they are done.

IF that is true this will not be a great shopping season for retailers
I was thinking the same thing. What I noticed was all the small present buying and overflowing carts with small items. I can definitely see where this would bring up a higher percentage of sales. Smaller items do tend to add up more than bigger ticket items. I think a lot of people were buying smaller items and waiting for Cyber Monday to buy the rest. I think the rest of the holidays for retailers will be a bit quiet. I did read tonight that CyberMonday was going to be a record breaker according to analysts. People prefer to shop online now than brave the crowds.

I know that some retailers are planning to pull out the stops for shoppers who wait till the last minute. I think there will be some great deals then. I think they might be even better than Black Friday. I know I usually wait until the last minute to shop so I can snag those good deals. This year due to lifestyle changes (empty nester) I was able to shop earlier. I really enjoyed that.

thompsj- I admire you for standing in life three hours for fabric. I really do. I would have passed out on the floor from exhaustion.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I don't do the Black Friday shopping. But, I did get to JoAnns shortly after 6:00 a.m. and so glad I did. They had their holiday Sizzix for 75% off and then there was a coupon for an additional 25% off entire purchase. I spent $36 and saved $146. Well worth it. I got a bigz die that came with a small sizzlet. Then I got 3 of the super large dies that make albums and such. Each one came with 2 embossing folders. That just made my day. The store was quite full but they really planned the checking out and there was no wait in line. Wish that could happen all the time. Later that day I went to Michaels and got a pink ATG for $15 and that came with 2 refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

The best place I have found to buy cricut cartridges is cricutmachine.com. They had a black friday sale with some of the oldies being 12.45. Watch for sales with them and you can't beat the price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

I went to Menards around 10:30 am to check on the cricut cartridges thinking they would be all out or not a big choice. Well...There were a lot of them. The man was still opening boxes and putting them on the shelf. They sold out of the machines though. I got 3 at $12.99. I will never buy a cartridge for over $20. I'm not that desperate for any cartridge at those high prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

I miss Menards ...
Reply With Quote Likes