Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Big Shot question

At what point do you know it is time to replace your big shot plates? I have a machine that is several years old - the plates are only a few months old. Our local Hobby Lobby (the only craft store around) has been out of the plates for awhile now. I'm struggling with die cutting because it doesn't cut all the way through for many of my dies. I'm not sure if the plates should be replaced or if I need to just replace the entire machine. Have you experience something like this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2023, 02:12 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Even though your plates are fairly new, it sounds, are they warped? If they bow too much, you will struggle getting a clean cut. Some does are finicky and getting a clean cut can be difficult, no matter now new your plates are. When I struggle with the die, I found that sometimes I turn the die and cut it blade side up. I usually cut blade side down. Sometimes moving the die to a different place on the cutting plate helps, like moving the die to one side or the other. Someone sent me paper called transfer paper, I think, and I haven't tried it, so I do not know if it helps. The person who sent it thought it would help me as I was really struggling with a few very intricate dies. I was trying waxed paper with those dies; it helped some but not much. I can't answer your question about replacing your machine. On the plates, I order mine from Amazon. Is Hobby Lobby even carrying these anymore? They seem to be changing their inventory a lot.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
123scrap (02-15-2023), janesprando (02-15-2023), wavejumper (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 04:08 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

They do seem to not be restocking when things run out. Thanks for your ideas! I will try new plates, then if that doesn't work, I guess I'll need to look at another machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2023, 06:41 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I think you just need to shim the sandwich. Add 1-2 pieces of thin cardboard or there are metal plates to help with delicate dies. I do it all the time. But don't make it too fat or try to force it though the machine .

Flip your plates pretty often-that helps mitigate any warping. Mark a corner to help you remember which side is up. My plates get beat to heck from before I replace them. If one has so many cuts in the surface I think flipping the die to be cutting edge up is a great idea.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
123scrap (02-15-2023), from the heart (02-15-2023), lovinpaper (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:01 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 975 Likes on 474 Posts

If your plates are warped, you can put them in the sink in a baking pan. Pour boiling water over top, then put some thing heavy on top and let them sit in that hot scalding water for a while. This can help flatten them and will also clean them, getting out all the little bits of paper they get stuck in there, Jennifer Maguire posted a video sometime back on how to fix warped plates. If you need to see it in a video format to better understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
Chinocookie (02-16-2023), gobarb26 (02-15-2023), gv-copperdog (04-06-2023), Kristy Tyra (02-15-2023), pnzimmer (02-15-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I have stripped out the gears in mine before, ( the innards are plastic even on the Pro big shot) so, my husband is handy and since they do not make spare parts, he made some himself and 'fixed" it but, at some point I think I will probably kill it completely so, I would probably buy the same machine as I have spare plates.

have you thought about buying the plates online?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
If your plates are warped, you can put them in the sink in a baking pan. Pour boiling water over top, then put some thing heavy on top and let them sit in that hot scalding water for a while. This can help flatten them and will also clean them, getting out all the little bits of paper they get stuck in there, Jennifer Maguire posted a video sometime back on how to fix warped plates. If you need to see it in a video format to better understand.

Thank you! I will try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2023, 11:52 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I have stripped out the gears in mine before, ( the innards are plastic even on the Pro big shot) so, my husband is handy and since they do not make spare parts, he made some himself and 'fixed" it but, at some point I think I will probably kill it completely so, I would probably buy the same machine as I have spare plates.

have you thought about buying the plates online?
I didn't realize Amazon sold those, so I ordered a pair last night. Using the new plates will be the test to see if I need a new machine. If so I will ask my handy husband to take the machine apart and check it out before I order a new one. Thanks for your comment!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
JBgreendawn (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 01:05 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Glad you have a handy husband, Sue. My Cuttlebug had a major issue several years ago and my husband and daughter were able to take it apart and fix it. It still works, quite well. I stopped using it as I wanted to use dies that would not fit and emboss folder that would not fit, so I got the Big Shot Plus machine. I have had it for several years. The metal shim is a wonderful plate to have and is quite inexpensive. It does help with those fiddly dies, like Margot mentioned. I totally forgot about it as I haven't used it in a while. Hope your plates solve your issue.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you, Lisa. It is wonderful to have someone in the house who is handy and willing to help out. I'm also looking at other machines, but I've had the Big Shot (this is my second one) for years and it's hard to think of doing something different.

Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 09:12 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I think you just need to shim the sandwich. Add 1-2 pieces of thin cardboard or there are metal plates to help with delicate dies. I do it all the time. But don't make it too fat or try to force it though the machine .

Flip your plates pretty often-that helps mitigate any warping. Mark a corner to help you remember which side is up. My plates get beat to heck from before I replace them. If one has so many cuts in the surface I think flipping the die to be cutting edge up is a great idea.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thank you Margot. I've been shimming and that hasn't helped. But I don't flip the plates. Thanks for that tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2023, 03:12 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm not sure whether or not this has been mentioned, but in addition to flipping the plates, try placing your dies more toward the edges of the plates. The pressure is stronger there. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
Chinocookie (02-16-2023), from the heart (02-15-2023), gobarb26 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 04:03 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Shimming is not helping? That is odd to me...hmmm. I mean you can keep building up the shims...at some point, you have to hit pressure again right?

Let's see what happens with the new plates though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2023, 04:37 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Heart

Here's a little secret that I discovered.... Buy those clear vinyl covers for furniture---my husband found mine at Walmart. The packaging says this, "Super Clear Vinyl Covering." It is Con-Tact Brand & is 54" x 9'. Cut them down to the size of your plates & use them when you die cut, just one sheet will do at a time. Place the sheet between your cutting plates, under the paper, on the side that cuts. It will get cut to smithereens in the end, but it lasts for several times through your machine. You do have to watch when it starts to curl up some, but I haven't had any big issues at all! (I have a manual machine, not an electric machine, so wouldn't know how it would do in one of those.) But, this saves on your cutting plates! I just replace the vinyl every so often. Ex: I cut a tag out last night & it went all the way through the vinyl & it stuck to my die with the paper. I just peeled it off & put it back on the sheet. The vinyl sheet was new & had lots more cutting to be done on it. This makes your cutting plates last longer. The dies don't cut as deep into the plates. I still flip my cutting plates too, between replacing the vinyl sheet. BUT, you will SEE how it saves on your plates! I haven't had to replace the plates themselves in quite awhile! I just keep those vinyl sheets with my plates, in the cover of my machine for easy access---so I do cut a few to have on hand. (I have to cut more today.) ;) ANYWAY, it is GOD SEND to me, so I don't have to replace those cutting plates as often, so it saves $$$$ too! ;) I'm always for that! I haven't replaced my plates in QUITE AWHILE, even though, I have bought some to have on hand, before I discovered this! HOPE this helps! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by TLady:
bzzzeee (02-15-2023), Chinocookie (02-16-2023), lovinpaper (02-15-2023), ozarkstamper (02-17-2023), StephanieJager (02-15-2023), suenan (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:02 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by suenanView Post
They do seem to not be restocking when things run out. Thanks for your ideas! I will try new plates, then if that doesn't work, I guess I'll need to look at another machine.
Why would you look at another machine? It would be so much easier to shop online and order some plates, not to mention saving time and gas so you don't have to drive around trying to find some. Oh, and wasting money on another machine! My Bigshot is at least 15 years old and still good.
The following 2 users liked this post by JaneUK:
Beverly 1939 (02-15-2023), smadson (02-17-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:33 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

FYI for those having trouble finding plates. I ordered a set of 4 from Amazon that were a $1 less per plate than any others. They are not a name brand-just clear acrylic plates same size as the name brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by basketdiva:
Beverly 1939 (02-15-2023), Chinocookie (02-16-2023), janesprando (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:58 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
Here is the link to Jennifer McGuire's video: https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2...ng-plates

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by susanbri:
Chinocookie (02-16-2023), suenan (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I didn't notice anyone recommending using a self healing mat as part of the sandwich. I have been doing that with great success. I cut a mat to fit the width of the plates. I always put my thin dies on the lower plastic plate blades up and paper on that and then the self healing mat. It lasts a long time. The die on the bottom prevents the possibility of warping the dies. Don't use the self healing mat with the Bigz steel rule dies...it will cut right through the mat. The softness of the self healing mat seems to help with the cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by Cre8ive Mind:
Chinocookie (02-16-2023), gobarb26 (02-15-2023), gv-copperdog (04-06-2023), ozarkstamper (02-17-2023), suenan (02-15-2023), UnderstandBlue (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 01:24 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Here is the link to Jennifer McGuire's video: https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2...ng-plates.html
This was a very informative video. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2023, 06:54 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Another idea that hasn't been mentioned here are the Magic Mats from from scrapbook.com. Not only are they self healing but when they start to warp, you heat them up with a heat gun or lay them out in the sun and they will flatten out to their original shape. I have been using them for quite a while and they are wonderful. I have them for my Gemini Jr. and also for my Cuttlebug machine. They take the place of the B plates!
https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sbc-mmat-1
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by gobarb26:
NinaBeth (02-16-2023), Speechy53 (02-21-2023), Springpatchlady (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Big shot question

Unless your plates are warped, you probably don't need to replace. If you are struggling with getting clean cuts and the plates are flat then you likely need more pressure to cut through. You can add a cardstock shim or two. I sometimes keep the packaging from embossing folders and use that for a shim. I agree with one of the other responses that you can put the die facing up and paper on top which also can help cut through. I would also look at your dies. Early on I purchased a bunch of dies from Ali Express, which are not as good quality as many of the companies we all buy from (SSS,My favorite things etc) . They often don't cut as well. Take care : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,994 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
Another idea that hasn't been mentioned here are the Magic Mats from from scrapbook.com. Not only are they self healing but when they start to warp, you heat them up with a heat gun or lay them out in the sun and they will flatten out to their original shape. I have been using them for quite a while and they are wonderful. I have them for my Gemini Jr. and also for my Cuttlebug machine. They take the place of the B plates!
https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sbc-mmat-1.html
Out of stock!! I have been wanting to try them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2023, 09:06 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post

You know what? I think that Quilting Supplies have the same kind of mats....... I can't remember the name of them, but you could try those! ;) Just do a little research.... I want to call them "Go something or other," but I could be wrong. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2023, 09:24 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

I've tried them, and I don't like them. With my Big Shot, I have to add shims to the mats, and they still don't cut as well as my regular plastic plates. The sb.com mats are also definitely not self-healing.

I would say that if you can't find regular cutting plates for your machine (e.g. Cuttlebug), then they are an adequate replacement; but I wouldn't use them for a substitution. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2023, 03:48 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sbc-mmat-1.html
I'm with you! I bought the Magic Mats from scrapbook dot com when they offered a wonderful sale shortly after their debut. I completely love using Magic Mat for the lower plate of the sandwich, and an uncut (but bruised) acrylic plate on the top. I have one layer of thin pasteboard packaging beneath the lower plate for the perfect shim for my Big Shot. Once you find the just-right combo of tablet backings or heavy cardstock layers for 'your' die cut machine, just leave the shim beneath the M.Mat. For me, I will never go back to cutting with the crackling camel-hump acrylic plates again.

All that being said, we all love different stuff, different methods, different stuff. Wouldn't life be like bad coffee if we all had to have the same ways & same things?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasGrammy:
Speechy53 (02-21-2023), TLady (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 05:28 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I was having similar issues with my Big Shot and bought this chrome plate. I was leery of spending the money, but I have to say that I'm pretty impressed so far. I had a few dies that I was considering throwing away, they were so bad, but they cut just fine with the chrome plate. I also saw this video on adjusting the rollers that might be useful. I've considered doing this, but haven't tried it yet:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for this help. I had never heard of a chrome plate - very interesting. I received my new plates, but haven't had a chance to play in my craft room since. Tomorrow! Thanks for the video, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2023, 09:41 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

My Big Shot is over a decade old, and I still have a couple of the original cutting plates that are very well-loved. I will say that they are so much more warp-resistant than those that came out later with a beveled edge. The newer plates just don’t seem to stay flat as long (clear or color), which has been incredibly frustrating as I realized how the old ones used to work.
I am certain that Sizzix realized they needed to reduce the shelf life of consumable plates since the machines were so sturdy and pretty darn reliable. As a result, we need to try different techniques or alternate products, or just buy new replacement plates more often.
Sorry for the cynicism, but we really have become more of a ‘disposable’ society.
Reply With Quote Likes
TLady (02-20-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Hi smadson,

I just got an email from Scrapbook.com stating that the Magic Mat is back in stock, if you're interested!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2023, 12:29 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Precision base plate

I don't see any mention of the Sizzix Precision Base Plate here. It's metal and is needed for many dies to cut properly. Not even very detailed dies. I don't use it on 'elements' like circles or squares, etc, because it will warp those thin dies. I use the Big Shot a LOT...actually on every card. I use the top cutting plate until they crack. I watch Joann dot com for their sales and free/low shipping. They are not at all predictable on their sales, so check the website often.
Reply With Quote Likes
suenan (03-31-2023)