Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Shot pro

Would I need this? Lol, looking for enabling, kind of, but really want the whole truth. What machines would this replace? And what would I need to replace them? I have a Grand calibur and the Big shot already. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just have one machine to replace all of these small ones.

What do you think?
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Big Shot pro and I love it. It cut everything with ease. I like the fact that I don't have to cut down my paper before running a die through the machine as it will handle 12 x 12 paper. The big downside is it is very heavy so it will need a dedicated place in your craft room.

The machine comes with everything you'll need to cut the thick sizzix dies. If you want to cut the thin dies (like Spellbinders) you'll need an adapter to build up the sandwich height. You can use the multi-purpose platform that the regular big shot uses. I did this for years before breaking down and getting the full size adapter set: Sizzix.com - Sizzix Big Shot Pro Accessory - Solo Platform, Shim & Wafer Thin Die Adapter (sizzix regular offers discounts if you sign up for email). I switched to the full size adapter for the convenience, but the multi-purpose platform worked just fine. Sizzix has now come out with a magnetic platform for the regular big shot. This can be used in the pro. Personally I think this is the way to go as it will hold your dies in place as you cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I just saw that the Big Shot Pro is on sale at Joann.com for $199. This is the best deal I've seen on the machine for years. I bought my machine from Joann several years ago for this price, but since then the lowest price I've seen on it is $239 (40% off). If you google I'm sure you can fine a coupon code for free shipping too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you, Khogan. May I ask what the footprint is? I have seen two, conflicting measurements - one says 26 x 23 inches. On joann, it says 7-1/2x15x24-1/4.
Which is right?
Thanks again,
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I will say it is a great machine...but it is heavy! I did a comparison between the big shot pro and the big shot on my blog:

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Big Shot Pro & His little brother the Big Shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't use mine often, but I LOVE it. The footprint is approx 15" x 24". I got a great deal on mine with the extended plates/tray from Overstock.com. I think it was $212.00 and shipping was $2.95. I think most places charge a shipping upcharge due to the weight. $199 is a good deal in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
I will say it is a great machine...but it is heavy! I did a comparison between the big shot pro and the big shot on my blog:

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Big Shot Pro & His little brother the Big Shot!
Thank you for your link and review. You mentioned a Multipurpose Platform for the Big Shot Pro. Do you know for sure that there is one? I haven't seen any other reference to it, but this would be an impulse buy and I've only been searching today. :0)
Thank you.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
Thank you for your link and review. You mentioned a Multipurpose Platform for the Big Shot Pro. Do you know for sure that there is one? I haven't seen any other reference to it, but this would be an impulse buy and I've only been searching today. :0)
Thank you.
Karen
Yes, there is a Big Shot Pro platform available at Joanns online. I just got mine at 40% off with free shipping. BUT I recommend getting the 12x12 acrylic cuting pads from somepace else. Joannes charges $40.00 but I got I got mine from Amazon for $14.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I have removed my cuttlebug and my grand calibur from my room after getting a pro last year for Christmas. the only thing is it is BIG and it is heavy so you need to make a permanent spot for it in your space, it's not something you will be moving around in and out of your way.

I have not had any drawbacks to mine, I think I am getting ready to need a new cut pad though, and I use it A Lot.

hth.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrysiadView Post
Yes, there is a Big Shot Pro platform available at Joanns online. I just got mine at 40% off with free shipping. BUT I recommend getting the 12x12 acrylic cuting pads from somepace else. Joannes charges $40.00 but I got I got mine from Amazon for $14.99.
Sorry to pest, but is there a way you could give me a link by chance?
Thank you,
karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a tip... if you are cutting smaller stuff with the Big Shot Pro you can use the Big Shot plates (saves wear & tear on the bigger more expensive plates - save those for cutting large dies).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

That's a great tip! Thank you very much.
Still can't decide what to do. The dies are so expensive.
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post

Do you have the Punch board that makes envies? If so, how do you compare having that to buying the envelope pro dies that you show on your blog?
Thanks again,
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Keep in mind, the pro is not portable. So, if you go to crops or retreats, you will need to keep one of the smaller machines on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I just started looking into the Pro because I have had another issue with my Grand Calibur. This is the second machine. On the first one, the pins inside the machine fell out. Although we were able to take it apart and fix it ourselves (and have had to do so a few more times) I bought a second one at a local craft show at an unbelievably low price "just in case". Well "just in case" happened again this morning when the handle cracked down at the grip end. So, hubby has retrieved the handle from the first one so I can keep on working. I like everything I'm reading about the Pro except that it is not portable. I really don't have space to dedicate to it as I do my cards in my sewing room and move the Grand Calibur onto the cutting table when I'm doing cards. I might be able to reconfigure on small cabinet where I have my Silhouette Cameo sitting if the dimensions would work. Does anyone know the weight of the machine? Also, does Stampin Up sell this or just the regular Big Shot? TIA

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

The estimated weight of the Big Shot Pro is about 44lbs.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Stampin' Up does not sell the Big Shot Pro.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Big Shot Pro

So, now I need to find a reliable source in Canada. I live in Ontario but don't mind ordering from reputable companies anywhere in the country. I really can't justify ordering from a US site because of import, shipping, and currency conversions. Adds a significant amount to the cost.

Di
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I upgraded to a Big Shot Pro a couple of years ago, I had a 'bug, but was getting fed up with the dies etc getting bigger than my 'bug could handle, and wanted a once and forever upgrade. Here is a link to a page on my blog, with info about the machine, and also various cutting sandwiches I have used.
Personally, I think it was the best thing I did, as you can cut more than one die(of the same type) at the same time, same thing with embossing folders. As others have stated, this machine is big and heavy, so you need a permanent space for it. The feed system moves within the body of the machine, so you don't need extra space, as you do for instance with a Silhouette.
Reply With Quote Likes