Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I had already planned on attending next year & now this makes it even mo' bettah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

With convention being this late, we probably won't have to compete with the Days of 47 celebration in SLC - hopefully that means less expensive and more readily available hotel rooms!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sooooooo excited.... after attending this one (my first) there's no way I'm missing another one, EVER!!! But especially the 20th.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I went to the national MOPS conference at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville in '04 and there were at least 6000 women there - all mothers of preschoolers. It was AMAZING!! I'd never been a part of anything that huge. It was a blast but you do definitely have to be able to handle the crowds. We all felt sorry for any men who were there because every single men's room was converted to a ladies room. If a man had to pee, he was in for a long walk. How exciting to have that many SU! friends together at the same time. There will have to be 50 SCS dinners to accommodate everyone!!

My Blog, My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't get me wrong...I definitely wouldn't miss this one for the world but, I am having some serious images flashing through my head as to the mass of demo's who will be attending all in the same place at the same time!

I've attended the last two years (except this year...sniff!) and I heard from so many demo's that Session l was so crowded (I opted for Session ll each year) and as much as demos are the most wonderful people to be rubbing elbows with...I'm still trying to envision this...anyone else thinking the same?

I think I may make my Hotel reservations now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, mass numbers of people doesn't always bring out the best in people's personalities or manners. From some of the stories I've heard about past conventions when there was only one session, that seems to hold true. I can picture next year's Convention being really full because of the 20th Anniversary (and lots of rude demos). I'm hoping all that do attend will have a wonderful time and everyone will be extremely nice and considerate, but we all know that won't happen. Hopefully at least the bulk of those attending will realize that they have to be on their extra best polite behavior because of the increased crowds. So many times, the increased number of people just brings out the more competative nature of people which isn't always a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Unfortunately, mass numbers of people doesn't always bring out the best in people's personalities or manners. From some of the stories I've heard about past conventions when there was only one session, that seems to hold true. I can picture next year's Convention being really full because of the 20th Anniversary (and lots of rude demos). I'm hoping all that do attend will have a wonderful time and everyone will be extremely nice and considerate, but we all know that won't happen. Hopefully at least the bulk of those attending will realize that they have to be on their extra best polite behavior because of the increased crowds. So many times, the increased number of people just brings out the more competative nature of people which isn't always a good thing.
Please note...I will be the "nice" demo...probably smooshed between the masses but, I will remain nice & polite...it's the sacrifice I will make for the 20 yr mark ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
There may be a few rude demos there, but if all of us here from SCS gather together and hang out in large masses, I bet we could create just enough good energy to make it happen. I just can't picture lots of rude demos, though. I could see short tempers and bad moods because of the crowds and long lines, but demos being rude on purpose? Does that happen often? I haven't met a demo I didn't like yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartstamperView Post
I too was in Orlando, and it's true...you do have to be able to handle crowds. ...in Las Vegas...there was 6,000-7,000 demos.
:( The crowds are exactly why I can't manage it. I went with my Up-line one year and had to leave after the first day; it was after picking up my registration pack ..... I was done, I couldn't handle another second of it. :( No one was rude or anything of that nature, it was just wall to wall women and insane.

If anyone can handle crowds ... GO .... my up-line had a ball.

I sure wish I could handle it because the 20th anniversary Con is probably going to be out of this world!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

When was the one convention and dates announced? I was at the first session and just heard where it would be. Was it announced in the evening session?

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Default Crowds

I was at Convention 2003 (Las Vegas) and 2004 (Orlando). Yeah, it was crowded, but I didn't think that it was all that bad. The only time crowding is a problem: trying to get into all of the Main Stage events...*if* you want to be first-in-line. Me? I just meander in at my own pace. I also don't wait in line for check-in. I wait a few hours, then hit it once the crowds are gone. That way, I walk right up. Otherwise, there is no way I would be able to take it.

I'll do a SU! Convention any day...but I don't do other "crowd" things like Taste of Chicago or Bluesfest. There is something about having so much in common with the rest of the attendees that is missing in so many other crowded functions.

One of my *FAVORITE* Convention memories is from 2003 - and darn, I didn't even have my camera. There were several (as in like 200-300) of us who didn't check in until the crowds were under control. We all moved through the line *very* quickly...then moved about 20 feet and sat down right in the check-in hall, on the floor, mesmerized by the new catty and swapping like mad. I don't even remember how long we stayed there, but I remember at one point looking up and watching this sea of demos just all hunkered down. ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
Yikes... If they are only doing 1 session, I'm glad they are... is there going to be enough hotel rooms.... I'm sure they have checked into it... but I need to be reassured...:confused: 20 years, got to love SU....

Faith
Well, they did host the worlds Winter Olympics!!!! I'm sure accoomidating use celebrating Stampers will be a breeze. I know we are a large group but not as large as Olympic! Though we are an Elite group. lollollol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritineyView Post
I went to the national MOPS conference at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville in '04 and there were at least 6000 women there - all mothers of preschoolers. It was AMAZING!! I'd never been a part of anything that huge. It was a blast but you do definitely have to be able to handle the crowds. We all felt sorry for any men who were there because every single men's room was converted to a ladies room. If a man had to pee, he was in for a long walk. How exciting to have that many SU! friends together at the same time. There will have to be 50 SCS dinners to accommodate everyone!!
Did you just love that hotel??? I took so many pictures!!!! The restaurant was sooo yummy. We are planning to go back soon, in winter to see it all decked out for holiday. I am told it is a must to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

The Opryland Hotel is just beautiful with all the lights... It is a must see...
We go and just walk around looking at everything.. Very Very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband told me that I could go next year if I wanted to. I do not do well with that many people. I may decide to not go because of the fact that it is one session. I am going to have to realy think about it. For those of you that did go last year can you tell us some good choices for the hotels that are around the convention area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

I just have to say that I've only been to one of the 2 session years, the rest were all one session and to be honest with you I think people were nicer at the bigger crowd conventions. Only one year did I have to stand in a line to check in (Vegas) and that wasn't bad. We were in a room that half of it was open. I didn't feel clostrophobic (sp?) at all and believe me I have a problem with that. DH almost had to hit me in the head and knock me out one time at a fireworks show and we were outside--not pretty! He's been to 3 conventions with me and not once has he had to slap me. LOL

The only real problem I can see is the hotel situation. We stayed at the Hilton and that was like the hotel from hell, but I want to go so bad next year since I've now missed 2 conventions that I would even stay there.

When the person who commented about SLC hosting the Olympics I wanted to laugh, because I want to know how the downtown area did it. 4000 demos tramatized that area 2 years ago.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaylynConoverView Post

One of my *FAVORITE* Convention memories is from 2003 - and darn, I didn't even have my camera. There were several (as in like 200-300) of us who didn't check in until the crowds were under control. We all moved through the line *very* quickly...then moved about 20 feet and sat down right in the check-in hall, on the floor, mesmerized by the new catty and swapping like mad. I don't even remember how long we stayed there, but I remember at one point looking up and watching this sea of demos just all hunkered down. ~ K
That's the only convention I've ever gone to - and I was one of those demos sitting on the floor looking at my new catty!

I went by myself, and aside from not having anyone to share the comraderie with, it was nice to be able to go at my own pace. Because there was just one of me, when we left open session I was able to sneak off to the side and get through the hoards of people easily.

Next year I hope to go with my upline. Not looking forward to the crowds of people, but it will be totally worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Hilton Hotel from Hell!!! We stayed there too and it was horrible1 The rest of SLC was great though. Shopping and several restaurant within walking distance and very easy to use public transportation if you wanted to venture a little further.

I don't think that SLC had any problem holding all of the demos, espically if you consider that the first year they had it there in 2005, there were about 20,000 Mormons there as well to celebrate their leaders/Presidents like 80th or 90th birthday. We found out that there were several celebrities there to entertain, including Donny Osmond, and tried to get in, but it was packed full.

I've been to one session conventions in Vegas, 2003 and Orlando,2004 and much prefered them to the seperate convention in SLC, 2005. I did not go to the next convention in SLC in 2006 so they may have changed several of the negative things from the previous year.

I'm really excited about it going back to its full glory and would really consider going agian.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by mresendez0911View Post
I will be there, July 30th is my birthday so I guess I will be turning 30 in SLC!!!!!
Well, Happy Birthday for 2007, since it's tomorrow (it's still the 29th where I am :-) )!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #60  
Crimping Master

Talking

I just returned from session one...which was fabulous. I have been to 8 conventions now and each has been better than the last....there's no way I'd miss next year's big celebration.

I'm excited about going back to SLC...it's beautiful, easy to get around, has many hotels close to the convention center. It's so nice to return to the same city and already know how to get round, where to eat and shop, etc...and not to mention, the opportunity to visit SU!'s "home". It is also easier to make travel plans since we already know what's available there. I'm sure it is easier for the SU! staff to put their very best efforts when they do not have to travel ....not to mention, the reduced cost of transporting everything.....most likely means more freebies for us!

Going back to one session will be so much more fun...and so much easier for downlines to meet on one of the free nights. The awards ceremony will again be "complete" and more exciting too!

I have been to SLC for three conventions and each time stayed right across the street from the convention center at the Hilton and was very pleased each time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

Wow.....I would love to go to the 20th anniversary convention, but I can't stand very long, or walk too far or too fast. I also have a severe problem with air conditioning. If my apt gets below about 78 degrees I'm in a ton of pain. So unless I can find some sort of thermal arctic undies and rent a scooter, I don't think that I could do it. lol I've heard how awesome all the conventions are, and I can only imagine this one will be the best ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

WOWZER....now that's a lot of stampers in one place! Better start preparing your swaps now!!
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 AM   #63  
Gabfest Goddess

Just to let everyone know I am taking on the dinner for SCS members. Yes Melissa I am crazy. lol

I have gathered a team of 8 gals several local SLC residents, some scattered across the country. So we are going to try and find a site for 200 people. With this beign one LARGE convention we are going to try and include as many as we can for the dinner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Whoa. Count me in!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1itcher46View Post
Just to let everyone know I am taking on the dinner for SCS members. Yes Melissa I am crazy. lol

I have gathered a team of 8 gals several local SLC residents, some scattered across the country. So we are going to try and find a site for 200 people. With this beign one LARGE convention we are going to try and include as many as we can for the dinner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #65  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinsueView Post
When was the one convention and dates announced? I was at the first session and just heard where it would be. Was it announced in the evening session?
Shelly annouced this after the band finished playing......she also asked that we keep it a secret from those going to second session so they can be as surprised as we were. It was announced here less than 20 minutes after she said that. I can now see why they want to put everything in one session. There needs to be the surprise factor for everyone....session 2 demos know everything before they even get there!!!!

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Default I hear ya, but

I come here because I know all the information I could ever want is posted here. I personally have to know everything ASAP I am a little lacking on the patience side of things LOL so I am glad that someone posted right away LOLOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 AM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattiLynnView Post
Shelly annouced this after the band finished playing......she also asked that we keep it a secret from those going to second session so they can be as surprised as we were. It was announced here less than 20 minutes after she said that. I can now see why they want to put everything in one session. There needs to be the surprise factor for everyone....session 2 demos know everything before they even get there!!!!
I have attended both single and double session conventions. I concur that double session is not as exciting. I attended first session and I felt that something was being kept from us. At the Awards Night, it was like missing out on half of the event, since so many of the award winners were attending the second session.

I will be looking forward to the single session convention again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

How exciting!! I am going to save for next year because I really want to go!

It's all just a number as long as I feel good and I'm eating healthy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1itcher46View Post

You ARE crazy Kim!!! (This coming from one of the other Melissa's from last year's SCS dinner!)

But if you find yourself in need of some more help, just let me know. I'm just north of SLC, so holler if you need anything. Can't wait to see everybody back here again for the big 20th bash! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

I went to Las Vegas (2003) & Orlando (2004). Vegas was crazy, but maybe more so because I had my infant son with me. He was 8 weeks old (he's 4 now) and sometimes it was hard to get around with the stroller. The first day after the morning main stage they gave away packages of Inspiration Sheets as you exited. That was crazy -- people were pushing & shoving and tripping over my stroller -- it was worse than a heard of cattle. I was seated in the middle of the room (with the stroller in the aisle), so there was no way I could get to the side or stop and wait for the crowds to move out. After that, I got up and left main stage a little early or stayed in the mother's lounge so I didn't get caught in that again.

I didn't have a problem in Orlando, but I didn't have an infant with me either. And, I don't care if I'm in the front row -- as long as I am on an aisle and near one of those big screens, I am happy with that.

I don't like being in crowds -- I am very impatient and don't like to wait in lines. I do try very hard to mind my manners, however. I am planning on SLC 2008 for the 20th (it will be my 5th anniversary with SU, so I *finally* get to walk on stage -- wouldn't miss that for the world!!!)

Sarah...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

I can't wait! I think one-session Conventions are so much more exciting! And yeah, there were rude demos, but I've been to five Conventions and this was the extreme out-of-the-ordinary and not the norm AT ALL!

The biggest thing I'm excited about is that I got the best hair cut I've ever had in SLC and I can't wait to go back to that girl and get my hair cut again! I'm a dork!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #72  
Kookie Creator

Default Hey

Never underestimate the power of a good haircut! Tell me who she was I want mine done too! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Convention 2008

I've never been to convention before. I hope next year will be my 1st time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #74  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasStampinView Post
I will be there with bells on and my downline in tow. It's SU's 20th and I will make my 5 year march! I can't wait!
Sharon
Me, too! I already told DH that I'll be flying from Germany to SLC next summer to go to Convention. I can't pass up the opportunity for my 5 year march.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #75  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am already so excited! I will definitely be attending! Yippee!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's my 5 years, too! I can't wait to walk across stage!

I also have my sights set on the incentive trip... Got a long ways to go... but "I think I can, I think I can!" If I make it, I'll be walking for sales and downline leadership, in addition to the trip! *giddies*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #77  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindakingView Post
It's my 5 years, too! I can't wait to walk across stage!

I also have my sights set on the incentive trip... Got a long ways to go... but "I think I can, I think I can!" If I make it, I'll be walking for sales and downline leadership, in addition to the trip! *giddies*
Belinda,
I'll be doing the 5 year walk as well! Glad to see I'm in good company!
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #78  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Convention 2008

I am SO excited that convention is going to be one session! I have only been to one that was a two-session, and it was just less exciting. Having 6-7000 crazy demos all together is a BLAST!!! I love it! And the gatherings with all the different groups and lists are just awesome. I can't wait! I hope with the renovations, they will always be one session.

Shari Dudek
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #79  
Glitter Guru

I'd love hotel info too - any good ones that people stayed in last year? Which ones did SU book? What ones are bad (besides Hilton from Hell?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #80  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostampsView Post
I'd love hotel info too - any good ones that people stayed in last year? Which ones did SU book? What ones are bad (besides Hilton from Hell?)
I stayed in the Marriott and loved it. I didn't have any issues with water pressure, lack of hot water, and the hotel staff was phenomenal. I was nursing at the time, because my youngest was with my husband, I pumped and froze my milk (my parents would come and pick it up to store at their place). My parents lived about 45 minutes away- the front desk agents made sure that my milk got to them, and then would deliver the cooler with more ice to my room. Also dh called a couple of times to have "goodies" delivered to my room- that was done as well.

HTH,
Crystal
Reply With Quote Likes