Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question. Many have mentioned that no extra postage was required. I have had to pay the extra postage on several things, but I NEVER told the senders. (It is kinda like your friend having green stuff in her teeth, do you tell or not?)LOL So, should I tell, or just pay the few cents and enjoy the cards?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Default Exta postage on cards

Well guys, i am the one who started all of this. I did end up getting 17 cent stamps to have on hand for my cards that use ribbon or eyelets, etc. Well one of my friends said that the card I sent her was ripped because of the eyelets or brads I had on it. So even when you do put the correct postage on they can still get messed up. I was really disappointed to hear this. She showed me how to cover up the front of the cards with eyelets or brads so they don't get messed up in the future but when you are sending out 50 cards who has time to do all this to each card! Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ahh, the card police have gotten me many a time for extra postage. It really does make a difference where you mail from is what I have found. I know if I have a card with a knot on the fold where it is at the top or bottom without fail it will be returned. I have started adding extra postage. But, I try to get sneaky by putting the embellies in the middle of the card. Sometimes they slide through then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

I mailed out 50 cards last week. Each card had 3 brads and a ribbon with a knot. I did not put extra postage on them.Just put them in the mailbox and
they all got delivered, no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

I usually corrugate a piece of paper and slide it over the embellies. But I like the idea of turning the card inside out. Also, clear envies require extra postage so I usually put cards in question in a clear envie since I'm going to have to pay for bulkiness anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks to this thread, I was warned about the extra postage for thicker envelopes. I went to the PO today to mail mine out, the line was out the door. I waited 10 minutes, no one moved so I left.
I went to the USPS web site to see if there was anyway I could print postage online, you can't for 1st class mail, but I saw a Stamps.com banner advertising a free month of their service, plus $5 free postage just for signing up! So that's what I did. No lines, just print right on the envelopes and away they go. I just hope they get there alright. One card had a tag booklet with a bit of ball chain holding it together.
I love the web......:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #47  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your card is thin enough but has a bump or 2 that might get caught in a machine, use a piece of packing tape over the bump. It helps the envelope slide through.

(Make sure the postage stamp itself can be cancelled when you put the tape on the card)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

For those interested in obtaining one, the cardboard template the post office uses (my postmistress got one for me, bless her heart!) is called the "First-Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing Template". On the back, there is a number--not sure if it's an order/part number--"PSN 7530-10-000-0765"

This has the slot in it for the 'Letter', and the larger slot (3/4") for "Large Envelope". Also, the box is on there that you can lay your envelope on to see if it's going to need extra postage for being a non-standard size.

It's a very easy to follow template. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i've run out of time. I'm just adding the .17 cents and hoping they get there. Oh, that's when I make and mail them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I have started to place a piece of cardstock (4 1/4x 5 1/2) on top of the card to help it slide through the machine easier. Don't know if that has helped or not, but it does minimize the bumps. I also try to put the card in the envelope with the bumps to the back and the bumps more to the bottom of the envelope so where the postage gets cancelled is smoother. I just hate putting my cards in the envelopes all backward, but I gotta get over that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #51  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting...my last batch of cards had some plastic glittery snowflakes on them and you could easily feel all the bumps, so I put an extra 17c on each of them. Then, at the Post Office today, I was talking with one of the workers and mentioned the extra postage I'd included. He took one in his hands, felt it, and said it could have gone for 41c. Go figure!
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

In an upcoming Scor-pal magazine we will have directions for making a custom envelobox using Scor-Pal especially designed especially for bulky cards.
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
I have never had one returned. I don't add extra postage. I've never had anyone tell me they had to pay extra when they received my cards. I think it just depends on your post office!
I made criss-cross cards this year. They are rather thick and had a ribbon stapled on the corner of the lift out. They went for 41 cents. I went to the PO and stood in line to find out. I was nervous but didn't have to pay extra postage.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #54  
New Mommy

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts

I almost always add the extra $.17 postage and I also put a piece of cardstock over the front of my card. My cards usually have brads or ribbon or bumps of some kind and I like the peace of mind the extra padding provides

Last edited by jkincolorado; 12-20-2007 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

Wink Your quote

Quote:

Originally Posted by carla36301View Post
If I think a card may be too bulky, what I do is try to slide it through the opening in the plastic part of my Fiskars trimmer (where the blade slides). If it passes through easily, then I just use a 41-cent stamp. If it gets stuck, then I add extra postage. For something I feel that is really bulky, I will take to the post office and pay the extra postage to have it non-machined. I took some square cards there one time because I thought I would have to pay extra postage, and the postman told me that all they needed were 41-cent stamps. I was surprised, but I mailed them like that, and they all arrived. Sometimes I think it just depends on what post office you go to as to what answer they give you.
HI~

I had to let you know I loved your quote!! I liked it so much I wrote it down to keep! God conquers!

paulette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #56  
Cardstock Collector

Wink postage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol ShaferView Post
Well guys, i am the one who started all of this. I did end up getting 17 cent stamps to have on hand for my cards that use ribbon or eyelets, etc. Well one of my friends said that the card I sent her was ripped because of the eyelets or brads I had on it. So even when you do put the correct postage on they can still get messed up. I was really disappointed to hear this. She showed me how to cover up the front of the cards with eyelets or brads so they don't get messed up in the future but when you are sending out 50 cards who has time to do all this to each card! Carol
Hi ~

I'm from Canada where we too have stickles about postage too - I have learned to use less or lighter (thinner) paper for embellishment as well as very thin ribbon - then it doesn't protrude at all - it lies down really nice. Here in Canada we pay over .50 cents for our regular postage (52 ro 54 cents now). So if our envelopes are too thick we are paying even more than you guys. You can still make attractive cards without heavy/thick ribbon and such. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents! ha!

paulette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #57  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol ShaferView Post
I have a digital scale and I even went on the usps.com and calculated postage. I also measured my cards, etc. I went to mail them yesterday with the 41 cent stamps on them but had one that I was going to mail priority. Well the postal service lady asked if I had mailed out the cards with only a 41 cent stamp and I said yes. She took out a piece of cardboard with a slot and my letter was getting stuck so she said I had to add 17 cents more to each card, which I already had put all my cards in the outgoing box. She had to take them all out and I had to buy the stamps and put them on all my 28 cards. The embellishments is what did it. I had some ribbons, eyelets, etc. on each one. I have never had a card sent back in the past and haven't put extra postage on my cards before but the postal lady said as of May this yr. things have gotten stricter. This is very discouraging for us that make cards and mail them out. It's going to get too expensive. Carol
The new postal rates and regulations that went into effect in May 2007 include a "thickness" criterion. Anything thicker than 1/4 inch will be charged more for postage, even if it doesn't weigh more or isn't over-sized. They use that piece of cardboard with the slot to determine this. If it gets stuck in that slot, they assume it will get stuck in their automated machines. So, if you use big brads, tie a knot or bow in your ribbon, or have other large three-dimensional embellishments, it may require more postage.

The postal workers here really "feel up" any of my cards whenever I ask them to be weighed. Like jkincolorado, I sometimes put a thin piece of cardstock on top of the card to help smooth out any bumps caused by embellishments. This also helps prevent the card from getting damaged during processing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

I had 2 ribbon knots on my Christmas cards this year, so I waited in line at the P.O. to have them check to see if they needed extra postage. The postal worker took my card, felt it and said "Hmmm... this may need extra postage." He pulled out that little slot card, and my card went right through. He was visibly surprised, but told me "No, they're fine." Now I keep e-mailing people to see if they got them yet, lol (just family).

One thing I read on another thread: Even though the "originating" post office o.k.'s a card, the P.O. at the receiving end may still flag it, and require the extra postage from the recipient. IMO, that's just not right.

I learned a few things on this thread, so thanks a bunch for starting it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #59  

Received 277 Likes on 164 Posts

I recycle envelopes/ packages which have bubble wrap; I cut a piece of bubble wrap the size of the card front (or at least large enough to cover the embellishments) to lay over the card, slide it in the envelope, then test for thickness by sliding that through the slot on my Fiskars cutting board. So far, I have not had to pay extra for shipping, and have not been told that the card or envelope was damaged. I posted this information a while back, so some of you also probably do the same. If you are struggling with extra postage or damaged items, give this a try. If you don't have recycled bubble wrap, it is available for purchase in a large roll for $2.00 at Dollar General. It will be a long time before I need to purchase more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 05:47 AM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Postage for me has been a nightmare this year. I read about everyone's problems so I decided to play it safe and place two 41 cent stamps to keep from standing in line at the post office. Well, a lot of mine have had postage due! Yes, I do heavily embellished cards but I couldn't imagine that they would require $1.10, and up, to mail! Evidently, the P.O. bumps them up to parcels when they are extra bumpy, I just don't know. I do include photos in my cards so I would I guess they are heavy as well as bumpy. So one solution I think I'll do for next year is purchase those photo cards and place a 4 x 6 photo in the front, then place my own handmade card inside. That will protect the homemade card as well as hide most of the brads, knots, etc. They still will require a bit of extra postage but maybe not to this extreme. I just feel terribly for the demos; I think this will cut down on people sending their creations which in turn will cut down on sales. Maybe SU will have some suggestions to save us some postage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Default Bubble Wrap

That is so funny because I was just going to suggest the bubble wrap trick. My friend does that and just told me about it. It protects especially brads and eyelets that are used on the cards from I guess getting stuck in the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been dealing with the post office for over 30 yrs with my business, and let me tell you, it all has to do with whom is at the window IF you take them up first. I just mail them - maybe with an extra 3 cent stamp if I am not sure they will pass. This is only if they are a little bulky. But let me tell you, that the post office is so busy at this time of year, there is a 90 % chance that they will be delivered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #63  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Ribbon and brads- the post office enemies!

I, too, had problems at the post office this year. I have made my own 1/4" cardboard slot after my last trip and long line wait. If they fall freely through it, they will go through the post office machines with no problems or extra postage for bulkiness per our postmaster. If they hang just slightly, like mine did-- try "smashing down" the bow (a rubber brayer would work well) and see if that helps. It did with mine and I avoided the extra 17 cents on my 50 cards (my postmaster suggested smashing them down-- this was after he saw the horrified look on my face when he suggested I remove the bows and then mail them)! I love the idea of a protector piece of cardstock and will try that next time. Valentines Day is coming and I know I'll be sending cards with bows! Thanks for all the great ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

I have had problems many times with my cards getting sent back because they needed more postage. This year for Christmas I got all my Christmas cards done and took them to mail them and she did the "slot test" and they wouldn't go through so I had to go buy more ribbon(thinner) and change all of the ribbon on the cards. The p.o. also filled me in on another little secret too, she said that if they are too puffy from dec. brads or metal of any sort they have to put more postage on them something like a processing fee because they can't put them in the machines because they get stuck so they have to manually process them so of course.....more money to send a card!! Here before too long it will be cheaper to hand deliver them on our own!! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

I just thought I'd share my experience with mailing my cards this year. I mailed out about 60 cards, and they were all pretty much different -- some flat and some quite bumpy. For the cards with a pronounced bump or bumps, I put a piece of cheap cardstock over the card front so that the brad or ribbon knot or whatever couldn't just pop through the envelope. Then I tested to make sure the card would bend freely. All of them did so I didn't add extra postage for bumps. Then I checked each card to make sure it would pass easily through a 1/4" slot. I added extra postage to the ones that wouldn't, which only turned out to be 10 of the cards. I just dumped my cards in a mailbox at the Post Office and hoped for the best.

The ONLY card that was returned was the one I forgot to put ANY stamps on!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
i've run out of time. I'm just adding the .17 cents and hoping they get there. Oh, that's when I make and mail them!!
Joan, I am so there with you! I finally made my cards on the 23rd, but knowing they would never arrive before the 25th, I made them Winter cards. Now I have until March 21st to mail them!
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

I read all these comments earlier in the month and since I used Long Notes (spring mini) for my cards, I decided to check with the post office before I sent them. Some had eyelets, some had knotted ribbon. I took one that seemed the bulkiest. The worker measured and weighed it and said no extra postage was necessary, so off went the majority. A few days later, mailing packages is a neighboring town's USPO, was told the card (flat ribbon, no other embellishments)needed more postage. I told her no, they were already approved at the other USPO. She let them go, none were returned, and no one paid postage.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with others that the envelope tester with slot is a must. It lets you feel a little more confident when you want to just mail from home without going to the post office.

I also have to say that I actually like going to my small town post office. They greet most people by name and with a smile, too! I guess there are good things about living in a little town....
Reply With Quote Likes