Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #161  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I don't participate in swaps on SCS. I'm afraid that people would be disappointed in what I create. I swap with my friends who love me even if my card doesn't have 6 layers. I've even seen a blog called NMBS (no more bad swaps). Eeek, I'm so afraid that would be me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #162  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggcobbView Post
"Flatter me and I may not believe you, criticize me and I may not like you, encourage me and I'll always remember you."
O - I really like this saying. Something to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #163  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read through this thread and others on this same subject. In my opinion, the comments about good and bad cards received is unfair. Who is to say that one card is better than another? The experts are the ones that get paid for their efforts of creating cards. Who of any of us are experts/professionals in this craft?

It seems to be by the comments of this and other similar threads that the level of expertise of the creator is based on the expense put out in making the cards. That has really nothing to do with it. It's the creativity and style of the crafter that counts. Some people have a much more simple way of creating their cards. I for one don't put multiple layers on my cards nor do I put all kinds of embellishments on them. I concentrate more on techniques used to create the cards I make.

Look at the cards found in the Cards magazine. Do you consider them quality? Most of them are possibly 2 layers with mostly stickers and paper pasted on paper as the embellishments. Very little if any stamping, glitter and glitz is used on them. Yet they seem to get published in a rather expensive magazine. Many of them in my opinion look as if they are created by a grade school child in a matter of 5 minutes or less. Yes they are done with quality/expensive materials. Does that make them good or bad cards? (I'm only choosing this magazine because of the expense of it and that the creators of these cards do seem to classify themselves as professionals.)

Also it seems that many people want to participate in swaps so they can literially take apart the cards they receive back and re-use the embellishments on their own cards. Then again, there are those who take the cards they receive and send them out as their own. Both of these things I feel are improper. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Isn't a swap for fun? Isn't that why many of you participate in them? Participating in a swap is up to the individual participants and is not a competition. You take a chance on what you receive and just enjoy the experience. Don't be so quick to be judgemental of other's creations.

After reading the threads on this subject, I for one would never want to participate in a swap for fear of being judged by someone who may or may not create cards on the same level as I do. Level of expertise or creativity is a very subjective topic.

Participate in a swap if you like and just be happy that others do also. It's supposed to be fun, keep it in that spirit!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #164  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

I have also stopped participating in swaps for this same reason. I spent a LOT of time on my swaps, and used quality materials. One of the last swaps I did, I made gorgeous cards using several techniques, and they took hours. One I received back from that swap literally had two small pieces glued haphazardly on it with one brad. That ended the swaps for me. LM :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen71View Post
Unfortunately, I'm right there with you. I have actually stopped participating in a lot of swaps because of this issue. I don't think you're being rude at all, just honest!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #165  
Insane Embellisher

OH MY GOODNESS! What an interesting thread I have stumbled upon! Here's MY rant that nobody asked for:

First of all, as I'm sure has already been stated, SWAPS ARE FOR FUN.

Secondly, I, too, have received cards/ATC's that I think (In a nose-in-the-air snooty voice) 'OMG, I can't believe this was submitted for a swap...I spent hours and hours on mine and this is all I got back?' But then I come down off my HIGH HORSE and realize that I did the SAME quality work when I was just starting out, and yes, I probably disappointed someone else. Heck, I'm probably STILL disappointing. But never ONCE have I torn apart other people's artwork, or checked out the cards, or lack thereof, in their gallery, or given them away. Every single card/ATC I have ever recieved is saved in a box...the ones I really love are displayed for all to see (and for me to CASE), but throwing them out or disassembling them is NOT an option.

SHAME on anyone who doesn't respect the work done by others, no matter the time/embellishments/quality put into them. If you can't look at someone else's work and put yourself in that person's place, then we don't want you participating in swaps anyway! Chances are that person, in a few weeks/months/years is going to get published or end up on a design team or at the very least will BLOW YOU AWAY with something they've made!

And lastly, I will reveal to you all, the reason I participate in swaps...of course it's to get ideas and hold in my hand something that has been lovingly created, but mostly, it is to USE UP SOME OF THIS STUFF that I have hoarded over the years! I can only make so many birthday and thank you cards and I have to justify the expense some how! So I try to get as much onto one card as I can! But let's remember, not everyone can enjoy such a luxury (or a curse). Maybe one or two layers and a sticker is all one can spare...most swaps are for at least 5-6 cards or 10 ATC's and that adds up fast.

So for all of you who are just too darned talented to get 'unsatisfactory swaps'...go send your work to get published, or enter it in a contest, or donate it to the troops, or frame it, or mail it to the Queen of your choice, but don't worry about us shabby swappers...we'll do alright without ya!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #166  
Polyshrink Goddess

Amen Sister!

I am not a pro-stamper... I am still learning... Sometimes I do a card that I think is awesome.... sometimes I do a card that I wish was better... but I do put love in all of my "creations". That is what I think this is about. If you are looking for masterpieces then let me know, because I would not be in your swap because I do average cards, sometimes some better than others. But I also learn every time I see somebody else's creations and I appreciate the love that they put in their cards.

I do share my swaps with my church to send out as greeting cards with a verse on the inside that states "This card was created by another fellow stamper and I want to share it with you."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #167  
Die Cut Diva

Swaps are supposed to be fun and about getting ideas. As long as the person does their best, that's all that matters.

I've noticed that there aren't as many swappers and this thread could be why. You all have discouraged people from swapping because they don't want to be hurt. Shame on you!

You people who are in agreement of the poor quality swaps should just get together (pm each other) for your own personal swap. And if you do, I'm sure that some of you will still get swaps that weren't up to your high standards. What's it called??? Oh....swap snob.

I had thought that everybody on SCS was nice and encouraging .....I'm sorry that I was wrong.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #168  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cydstampsView Post
Amen Sister!

I am not a pro-stamper... I am still learning... Sometimes I do a card that I think is awesome.... sometimes I do a card that I wish was better... but I do put love in all of my "creations". That is what I think this is about. If you are looking for masterpieces then let me know, because I would not be in your swap because I do average cards, sometimes some better than others. But I also learn every time I see somebody else's creations and I appreciate the love that they put in their cards.

I do share my swaps with my church to send out as greeting cards with a verse on the inside that states "This card was created by another fellow stamper and I want to share it with you."
Very well said

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #169  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reading Post #165 by xeyedlyza, it made me think of a few things. First of all I do agree with what she says.

Ok, as I said previously, I have never participated in a swap nor been invited to do so.

Post #165 got me to thinking that perhaps those people who are disappointed and critical of the cards they receive in swaps are going too far overboard in creating their cards for swaps. Are you perhaps trying to outdo everyone else in the swap? Do you feel that the more glitz and embellishments you put on your cards the better it makes them and you look? Does that qualify you as an experienced card creator? Perhaps if you just created your cards for swaps with the attitude of making a nice card to show your level of craftyness would be best to do. Don't try to outdo everyone by putting all your embelishments on one card.

Just my thoughts that others that do swaps may want to think about. Also these are just my opinions.

Lastly, after reading this whole thread, yes I for one would not participate in a swap for fear of being judged. What makes a nicely created card is very subjective.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #170  
Die Cut Diva

I think what bothers me is:

1. You can have experience and still turn out garbage now and then.

2. How could anybody throw away "poor quality" cards, if you don't want it, donate it! Somebody would love to have what you think is beneath you. (Childrens Hospital, Church, School.....)

3. Worst of all, most of you are in Random Acts of Kindness (RAK). Yet what you're saying is definetly not kind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #171  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
I think what bothers me is:

1. You can have experience and still turn out garbage now and then.

2. How could anybody throw away "poor quality" cards, if you don't want it, donate it! Somebody would love to have what you think is beneath you. (Childrens Hospital, Church, School.....)

3. Worst of all, most of you are in Random Acts of Kindness (RAK). Yet what you're saying is definetly not kind!
I've started donating cards that I don't want. I've gotten cards that I can't use for one reason or another and I know that someone else will appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #172  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
I've started donating cards that I don't want. I've gotten cards that I can't use for one reason or another and I know that someone else will appreciate them.
I'm so glad that you do that. And yes, there is always someone who would appreciate them.
When I read that someone threw them away, that just really bothered me. If I had read this thread prior to signing up for a swap, I probably never would have signed up. And that would have been ashame. The swaps are fun, I get nice swaps in return, but most importantly, I get to know the people that I'm swapping with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #173  
Matboard Maniac

and I'm thinking those of you who think your cards are so much better than the others maybe those cards arent loved by everyone either.
If you want professional maybe you shouldnt be swapping here. Some of us do it for the love of doing it and are perfectly happy with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #174  
Crimping Master

Default WOW!!

All I have to say is WOW.... not in an impressed or exciting way either. As a hobby stamper who admittedly doesn't like ALL of my own work.... I am really disappointed in this thread. I have seen galleries on this website that I don't really like, but I don't leave negative comments because I was under the impression that this website exists to FOSTER creativity and inspire crafters! I only do image swaps right now, but am definitely interested in card swaps. I agree that it is dissapointing when you percieve that people didn't put forth as much effort as you.... but keep these things in mind....

1) if the hostess doesn't specify the rules (i.e. you must use DP, or layering, or at least one embellishment)- then you get what you sign up for! Host your own if you don't like it!

2) No one here is in a postition to be judgemental of the effort put into something they voluntarily signed up for

3) there are different skill levels here... I learn new things every day! Do you realize you are makking others wonder if they are good enough to play?

I am sad for people that get so wrapped up in this that they lose the fun of it.

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #175  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
The swaps are fun, I get nice swaps in return, but most importantly, I get to know the people that I'm swapping with.
I agree, it's nice to get to know people. But I'd say, about half of the cards I get back are not personalized. Even a sticky note inside with the maker's SCS name would be nice. Sometimes I'd like to ask someone how they did a certain technique or where they bought an embillie I liked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #176  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by elimaxandlelaView Post
All I have to say is WOW.... not in an impressed or exciting way either. As a hobby stamper who admittedly doesn't like ALL of my own work.... I am really disappointed in this thread. I have seen galleries on this website that I don't really like, but I don't leave negative comments because I was under the impression that this website exists to FOSTER creativity and inspire crafters! I only do image swaps right now, but am definitely interested in card swaps. I agree that it is dissapointing when you percieve that people didn't put forth as much effort as you.... but keep these things in mind....

1) if the hostess doesn't specify the rules (i.e. you must use DP, or layering, or at least one embellishment)- then you get what you sign up for! Host your own if you don't like it!

2) No one here is in a postition to be judgemental of the effort put into something they voluntarily signed up for

3) there are different skill levels here... I learn new things every day! Do you realize you are makking others wonder if they are good enough to play?

I am sad for people that get so wrapped up in this that they lose the fun of it.

Alison
Also, how are people supposed to know who they are swapping with when people don't have anything in their galleries? Just a thought.

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #177  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
I agree, it's nice to get to know people. But I'd say, about half of the cards I get back are not personalized. Even a sticky note inside with the maker's SCS name would be nice. Sometimes I'd like to ask someone how they did a certain technique or where they bought an embillie I liked.
Then you ask on the swap thread. You might get a reply, you might not. The person might have unsubscibed. What I've noticed is that most swaps do not have in the rules that you must sign your card. I'm sure that some people just don't think about it. They also might have posted the card in their gallery.
I get many swaps back that aren't signed. It would be nice to know who did what, but I get to know the person through posts back and forth during the swap. And if I absolutely have to know how someone did a technique, I could (haven't yet) send a pm to everyone that was in the swap.

Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #178  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by elimaxandlelaView Post

Alison

You said this very well, thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh's mommyView Post
For me , and this is only my opinion for me

I can't believe some people take other peoples work apart to "Salvage" the stuff they think could be used for their art work. I kind of find that ( for a lack of a better word unbelievable )
Um, I've actually done that with one swap I got. There was a lot of "shadowing" around the edges of the stamping on the main layer, which covered the entire front, and I just couldn't make it work by simply adding an embellishment or two to jazz it up a bit. So, I cut out the Loads of Love truck (the adhesive used was some sort of non-SU! adhesive runner that easily peeled up even after being over two years old), added a border strip of printed paper and some ribbon, and readhered the sentiment in the same spot as the original layout. Am I an awful person for reworking a sloppily-stamped card rather than just pitching it in the trash? :confused:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #180  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Um, I've actually done that with one swap I got. There was a lot of "shadowing" around the edges of the stamping on the main layer, which covered the entire front, and I just couldn't make it work by simply adding an embellishment or two to jazz it up a bit. So, I cut out the Loads of Love truck (the adhesive used was some sort of non-SU! adhesive runner that easily peeled up even after being over two years old), added a border strip of printed paper and some ribbon, and readhered the sentiment in the same spot as the original layout. Am I an awful person for reworking a sloppily-stamped card rather than just pitching it in the trash? :confused:
You are not awful!!! You made use of your swap and were satisfied with it. That is one of the goals right? I just think it is wrong to participate and then complain and be judgemental about something that you voluntarily signed up for!

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #181  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Am I an awful person for reworking a sloppily-stamped card rather than just pitching it in the trash? :confused:
I've been following this thread since it started, and no, I don't think you are awful for reusing a card's pieces to create your own.
I believe that swapping is 1) to have fun and meet new people, 2) to get ideas, and 3) use up hoarded supplies.

But I also believe that the swapped cards are ours to do with as we choose which may be, 1) save forever, 2) send to friends, 3) disassemble and use the parts, or 4) throw away. So far I have done the first three of these myself. One card in my gallery that has received many comments (I do play in the comment threads.) is one that I used the front of a Christmas card I received to make a new card. I have been praised for recycling, but yet, if we do the same to a swap card we are bashed?? Doesn't seem right to me.

Even swap cards that I just didn't understand, I still have them, and can't throw them away. (Including the one ATC card that I received in a swap that was a flat out carbon copy CASE of something I made myself for a previous swap but with thinner materials and faulty glue!)

But one thing I will not do is sign my own name to the back of a swap card that was never signed. That is wrong! If I send out a card to a friend that says "stamped by Michelle" on the back and the friend asks me about it, I'll tell them the truth - "I received this wonderful card in a swap and thought you would like it, even if I didn't make it myself."

Who knows, maybe all my swaps have been thrown away, but that's the chance I take when I sign up for or host a swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #182  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

But I also believe that the swapped cards are ours to do with as we choose which may be, 1) save forever, 2) send to friends, 3) disassemble and use the parts, or 4) throw away. So far I have done the first three of these myself. One card in my gallery that has received many comments (I do play in the comment threads.) is one that I used the front of a Christmas card I received to make a new card. I have been praised for recycling, but yet, if we do the same to a swap card we are bashed?? Doesn't seem right to me.

I suppose if you give proper credit, or at least partial credit, to the original artist or source, it would be perfectly okay. But I would be a bit peeved if I found out someone had not only torn apart what I had made, but then used some of the elements (and I'm not talking a few brads or a charm, but a colored image or combination of elements) to pass off as their own.

I think the issue here, or at least what the original poster was trying to ask is, are you allowed to be disappointed with what you get back from other stampers, therefore causing you to STOP participation in the swaps because other stampers are not 'up to snuff'. I just think it's incredibly snobbish for someone to say that someone else's work is somehow worse than their own.

Obviously, there are different levels of ability; someone who has stamped for 10 years most likely will have more ideas, better supplies, and a more refined opinion of what constitutes a 'good' card. But that same stamper, when just starting out, probably got most of her ideas and taste from someone else who, now, has been stamping for 20 years. I'm just saying that you never know what you're going to get with a swap, but don't stop participating because other stampers may not be as 'good' as you. YOU can be the inspiration for those beginners, and remember: there's someone else better than YOU out there too, and those cards/ATCs will be included, too.

If you feel like you're getting stiffed by the cards you get back, host your own swap with very strict rules...I see nothing wrong with that. Just be aware that you may be excluding a lot of people that are 'worthy' to participate, but are scared that their work is going to be laughed at, thrown away, or salvaged for parts.

Oh, and I can't really consider reusing someone else's parts as 'recycling'...that's like picking out all the M & M's from your trail mix and using them to make cookies, but what about the nuts and raisins? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #183  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeyedlyzaView Post
I suppose if you give proper credit, or at least partial credit, to the original artist or source, it would be perfectly okay. But I would be a bit peeved if I found out someone had not only torn apart what I had made, but then used some of the elements (and I'm not talking a few brads or a charm, but a colored image or combination of elements) to pass off as their own.

Ah, well -- guess this is just one of those "agree to disagree" topics. The truck was colored very nicely, but the Itty Bitty Backgrounds stamped around it were just distracting with all the stray ink marks all over the place. I've pulled that card out and looked at it several times trying to decide what to do with it, gotten frustrated, and just put it back in the photo box. I would think it would upset the original swapper more to find out that her card was shoved in the back corner of a closet somewhere than it would to learn that someone had taken it apart and reworked it, but maybe that's just me.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #184  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Ah, well -- guess this is just one of those "agree to disagree" topics. The truck was colored very nicely, but the Itty Bitty Backgrounds stamped around it were just distracting with all the stray ink marks all over the place. I've pulled that card out and looked at it several times trying to decide what to do with it, gotten frustrated, and just put it back in the photo box. I would think it would upset the original swapper more to find out that her card was shoved in the back corner of a closet somewhere than it would to learn that someone had taken it apart and reworked it, but maybe that's just me.
Personally, I think I would rather my work, in it's entirety, be in a box in the back of a closet, as opposed to just giving away supplies to the other swappers. There are other ways to get a beautifully colored image...if you don't have the stamps, you could always try Wish RAK!

But maybe I am the one who has missed the point of the swaps entirely...I thought they were a way to showcase our work, from all ends of the creative spectrum, not to problem solve ways to make other people's cards into masterpieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #185  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin4sandraView Post
Wow.. intersting thread.... I am a demo and host swaps here on SCS... and also have joined many... always wondering what people really think of my work... it's not always great, but common, unless you are Beate or Nitestamper... whew!! The pressure.... I was talking to my sideline... ha ha.. friend under my downline.. and we were cracking up cause we were calling ourselves Stamping snobs.... I said: I really don't want to sound like a snob, but as you all have put it, sometimes the quality isn't there... I too agree that there are many levels of expertise ( and I'm WAY OK WITH THAT), but no excuse for not following rules... those are given... I also mentioned to my friend that maybe we were setting ourselves up for failure... we were only requiring a min of 2 layers, embellishments "would be" nice....
Those weren't very firm requirements... so, i said to her... do you think if I set up a swap with all these requirements anyone would join? I have a ton...trust me.. Lots of Layers swaps are mine.... but you know what???? I have been so blessed by everyone on these swaps ... I got exactly what I asked for and they keep rejoining my swaps... So, if you really want more from swaps you are hosting... don't be afraid to ask/require quality (cut neatly, glued straight,stamped well, included all the must haves in the directions... i think that most people won't be offended by this, but will be thrilled to get back what they put into the swap.

You can see some samples here from March, April and May... I have a current new catty one.. it's filling fast.

I've asked... and I've received....

I can live with ... different skill levels.... not blatant: I don't care.

By the way, I do make exceptions sometimes... if someone forgot something, I will check with that group of swappers to make sure it is ok before swapping... that way, i gave them the option. Good luck all.... I love swapping. :mrgreen:
wow, those cards are gorgeous! I am nowhere near to that level of creativity & beauty. I try to cut straight, for sure, but it just never looks like the "wow" level that I see in those cards.
SO that's why I'm not in a swap! I don't think you all would like my cards ;) That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain effort to be put into a swap card--something you'd be proud to send yourself. I wouldn't want to put a lot of time into making cards only to get something so sloppy that it was unusable back...so I can see both sides :cool:

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #186  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaAnn26View Post
This is why I don't participate in swaps on SCS. I'm afraid that people would be disappointed in what I create. I swap with my friends who love me even if my card doesn't have 6 layers. I've even seen a blog called NMBS (no more bad swaps). Eeek, I'm so afraid that would be me.
Being part of this group I think you miss understand us. We are a group of SU demonstrators, A lot of the cards we recieve we use as samples for classes and work shops we hold. When a swap is done sloppily it can not be used as an example to try and sell a stamp, there for making it a waste. We as a group pride our selves in our work and strive for straight layers, and clean stamping, stuff that would make someone say "wow" or "I need that stamp". If we are going to put the work into samples for someone else's buisness we would like to have the same quality samples to show customers in our buisness. I understand that there are begining stampers and I would never expect perfection from anyone. But as a group we have certain guidelines to follow and we have all agreed to them. We are not perfect, and we don't claim to be, but we all put forth our best work to help each other out with our buisness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #187  
Polyshrink Goddess

Is this group for SU demonstrators only? If so, why are those of us who are not demos allowed to join? This thread has me almost to the point of backing out of the 2 current ATC swaps that I have joined. No one wants to be ridiculed or thought less of because our items don't meet everyone's standards. I joined the swaps to learn new things and share my love of creating with others but since reading all the "wonderful" comments made here I don't want to have to worry about my items being judged and not enjoyed as that is why they were created. It makes me sad to say but I believe that my swapping days are over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #188  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymerzView Post
Being part of this group I think you miss understand us. We are a group of SU demonstrators, A lot of the cards we recieve we use as samples for classes and work shops we hold. When a swap is done sloppily it can not be used as an example to try and sell a stamp, there for making it a waste. We as a group pride our selves in our work and strive for straight layers, and clean stamping, stuff that would make someone say "wow" or "I need that stamp". If we are going to put the work into samples for someone else's buisness we would like to have the same quality samples to show customers in our buisness. I understand that there are begining stampers and I would never expect perfection from anyone. But as a group we have certain guidelines to follow and we have all agreed to them. We are not perfect, and we don't claim to be, but we all put forth our best work to help each other out with our buisness.
Precisely! I couldn't show that card off as a sample because of the sloppy stamping. Now, let me say that I'm ALWAYS glad to put those clean-and-simple or "beginner" cards in my display, because they help any newbie stampers at the workshop or class to see that anyone can stamp!

Like I said before, it's the "agree to disagree" factor. I'm sorry that I've offended a few folks with my stance, but it's just how I feel. I never said that everyone had to have the same opinion! ;) I guess that xeyedlyza and I will just have to avoid signing up for the same swaps. :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #189  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I'm not.

I treasure each and every card I receive from swaps, even if they're not to my taste or sloppy. I know that someone put the card together themself and I treasure the effort, not what I can salvage from them. I keep them in a binder inside of sheet protectors so that I can flip through the pages and see all of the cute cards. My daughter loves to flip through the book too. She may love a card that I wasn't too crazy about which makes me look at it in a different way. I now see little details that I had missed the first time I looked at them and see what she sees. It's really nice to look at things like a child does.........look for the good, not the bad.

[B]To all of those that posted that they're afraid to swap, I invite you all to join any of my swaps[B]. They really are alot of fun and I don't expect perfection, all I expect is for you to do your best.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #190  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

I thought Swaps were supposed to be fun?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #191  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881View Post
I thought Swaps were supposed to be fun?

They are! These people apparently expect way too much and aren't doing it for fun but for business. How sad that they're missing out on what swaps are all about.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #192  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Very well said, Jamie. And swapping IS fun, because with groups like this I know EVERYTIME what I am getting back. So yes, we swap for business ideas, but I don't see why that means it isn't for fun too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #193  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabatgirlView Post
Very well said, Jamie. And swapping IS fun, because with groups like this I know EVERYTIME what I am getting back. So yes, we swap for business ideas, but I don't see why that means it isn't for fun too.

I'm sure its not fun for those stampers who made the cards that are being labeled "not good enough".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #194  
Gabfest Goddess

In all the SCS swaps I used to participate in, I have personally NEVER told anyone their swap wasn't good enough. It may not have been my style, but that's okay because my customers don't all have my style either, so they like to see different stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #195  
Embossing Fanatic

Default dissapointed in swaps

Boy can I relate to this thread!
I actually quit awapping due to being really dissappointed I understand the new stamper and just learning but not using quality products ( Michaels card stock is awful stuff) there are many quality companies that make card stock ! I have recieved glittered cards that stuck to other cards; cards with finger prints; stray marks ...I don't think I'm a swap snob ( well, Maybe i am) but when I put forth my best effort ; use quality product and embelishments; I really do expect the same in return. Even new stampers with limited supplies can case other card designs and wash their pinkies so the cards don't get finger prints.
I used to love to swap but now I find people are in too much of a hurry; running late over committed to swaps so they really can't do their best work. But with all that said I would never...never refuse to trade a swap at convention there is usually something You can take from the design or color combo or something you can use to get a new fresh idea

Betti Geis #1613
http://stampinbetti.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #196  
Pearl-ExPert

It's not "fun" to be in a swap where you put a lot of effort into your cards, send them away, wait in anticipation, then receive your cards/atc's whatever BACK and find that people didn't put the same amount of effort into it as you did.. That's just not fun for me! FUN for ME is being in a swap with other high-caliber stampers, trying my best, making everything PERFECT, and then receiving other works of art back..

what's fun for me isn't fun for you, so don't put others down for what they choose to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #197  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
It's not "fun" to be in a swap where you put a lot of effort into your cards, send them away, wait in anticipation, then receive your cards/atc's whatever BACK and find that people didn't put the same amount of effort into it as you did.. That's just not fun for me! FUN for ME is being in a swap with other high-caliber stampers, trying my best, making everything PERFECT, and then receiving other works of art back..

what's fun for me isn't fun for you, so don't put others down for what they choose to do.
Agree completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #198  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Obviously, this is a hot topic! *chuckle*

If you're going to participate in a publicly posted swap, it is more than likely that you will receive swaps of all skill levels, and a diverse range in what you as an individual might consider high or low quality, etc. A hostess can only include rules, and then use her judgement to determine if received swaps met those rules. As a participant, you are at her discretion.

But, if you do have very specific needs, expectations, or business purposes, etc. in the swaps you receive, I think the easiest way to ensure that those are met, would simply be to host a swap by invitation only, no?

That would seem a reasonable solution to this particular dilema, no?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #199  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

I think there's some misunderstanding about this post - I don't believe that the "group" she is referring to is SCS. My understanding is that she is referring to the "No More Bad Swaps" group that was referenced in an earlier post. The NMBS group is the group of only demonstrators with the stricter guidelines, which shouldn't be a problem if everyone in that group is aware of those guidelines ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #200  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by PegmnView Post
Is this group for SU demonstrators only? If so, why are those of us who are not demos allowed to join? This thread has me almost to the point of backing out of the 2 current ATC swaps that I have joined. No one wants to be ridiculed or thought less of because our items don't meet everyone's standards. I joined the swaps to learn new things and share my love of creating with others but since reading all the "wonderful" comments made here I don't want to have to worry about my items being judged and not enjoyed as that is why they were created. It makes me sad to say but I believe that my swapping days are over.
We are not the only group on SCS that is an invitation only demo swap group. The only reason that someone brought us up was strictly because of our name and our blog. We do our blog for fun as a group to keep us stamping. And it is still fun to swap, we just know who we are swapping with and what kind of swaps we will recieve back. If you ever read other demonstrators blogs some of them participate in the invitation only swap groups.

Honestly until about a year ago I didn't like the cards I was making and wanted to be better. I knew I wasn't as good as others around me (nor do I claim to be now). But I participated in the Dirty Dozen challenges and got some tips on how they make cards. It really turned things around and I feel like I improve each day. If you really want to be better than find those you like and figure out what they do instead of quiting.
Reply With Quote Likes