Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #121  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this was to deter people from swapping just an honest opinion on what people think. I am sad that people will not share their creativity because of what they think some people will say.

I say if you are proud of your work and you want to share it with others Please do so. Because I think a lot of people will end up missing a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #122  
Watercolor Wizard

I am fairly new to stamping and cards. I considered joining a swap or two to practice and get other people's ideas in return. After reading through this post I'm not sure I'd ever participate.

From a newbie point of view -
We're already nervous about if the work is good enough. Maybe you don't think so, but I highly doubt anyone NEW thinks their work too cr@ppy to send out. They may be nervous that it isn't going to be well recevied, and you have proven there is good reason to be concerned about that. I'm sure the skills will get better in time, but I'm equally certain that a new person is looking to gain acceptance from seasoned stampers. I bet most spend mroe time on their "simple" cards than many of you do on your elaborate & beautiful ones. So goes experience.

In my experience, newer people swap for ideas. I swap with friends at home...I don't use the cards. I sav them for ideas. Do I CASE everything I do? You bet. Can I make a beautiful card from my own throughts. Right now, I highly doubt it. I've tried. But ugly and sub-par are in the eye of the beholder.

I think the idea mentioned of stating the level of card maker/stamper in the swap is an excellent idea. Then the mre experienced among you who remain disappointed in everyone e;ses work can be selective, and so can we newbies.

So much for being supportive and helping people become better.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it's in your attitude about swapping, I see it as a fun way to share your work with people. I mean we have galleries and all, but with swapping you get to see it in person and hold it and all. So swaps I'm in I only worry about the quality of MY work.

When I get stuff that looks like it's someone who is not as skilled or whatever I like to think of how fun it is for them to get all this other stuff. I think having really great stuff in front of you in person when you are new must be inspiring. It's all just paper and stuff, so if you have it right there it might be more accessable.

And my other point is that way back in the day I got a card in a swap that I thought was stinko. I thought, "Why didn't she even cut straight?" I thought it was just careless. I met the woman who made that card about a year later. She is severly handicaped. It never came up chatting on message boards, I had NO IDEA. She was artistic and talanted, but her handicap made her work look a bit sloppy. She deserved to be in that swap, she deserved to swap with the best swappers out there. She loves art and does her best, how could anyone ask more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #124  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
And my other point is that way back in the day I got a card in a swap that I thought was stinko. I thought, "Why didn't she even cut straight?" I thought it was just careless. I met the woman who made that card about a year later. She is severly handicaped. It never came up chatting on message boards, I had NO IDEA. She was artistic and talanted, but her handicap made her work look a bit sloppy. She deserved to be in that swap, she deserved to swap with the best swappers out there. She loves art and does her best, how could anyone ask more.
Amen to that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #125  
Hardware Hotshot

I find it interesting that some of the commenters on here with the most negative attitude toward other carders, do not have anything of their own posted in their galleries. How will we ever know if we measure up to your standards if we don't hava any examples of what you expect? I post my cards, not to show off how great I am (good thing ) but so that others can see what I am producing, and hopefully encourage me with comments and even kind suggestions. "What a wonderful design idea, what if you added a brad to the flower center as an embellishment? That may make it really jump out off the card." etc. I think everyone should be welcome in swaps or you should promote them PM where exclusion is not so obvious. Everyone was a beginner at some point, and as stated several times above, you have no idea what the disabilities or obstacles are that affect each person's ability to make cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #126  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't have a gallery becasue I copy cards, I don't design them. I never feel right about copying and posting, even accompanied by a full written credit to the original designer. I may have a few posts but I have no idea how the gallery works or what the rules are...and I certainly do not wish to break any rules or offend a fellow member by doing something "illegal." Same is true for my SB layouts. And I rarely know what company I am using, I buy what I like and store it in a way that suits me, which is never in the original packaging.

If anyone knows where I can find such rules, standards, or guidelines feel free to send me a PM or post the link here.

I'm glad to see that there are so many more people who would offer their opinion on improving a card than the number of those who would simply be negative about it. I'm certain it has happened to their own cards once in a while, no matter how fab the maker thinks they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #127  
Matboard Maniac

The last swap I was in I received two of my own cards back. I have not joined one since then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #128  
Glitter Guru

I have been swapping for a number of years - I started out swapping for scrapbook elements and moved up to cards...

I agree everyone starts somewhere and not everyone is going to have wonderfual cards when they first start out - in fact I keep some of my first cards in my SCS gallery and on my desk to remind me I had to start somewhere.

Over the years I have simply become more selective in the swaps I choose to participate in...I rarely participate in swaps that have more than 10 people involved (usually only the ones that are 10 people or more are ones centered around mini catalogs so I can have a variety to show my customers) - in fact I try and seek out swaps that have 6 or fewer...I recently participated in 2 where there were 6 swappers and received the most beautiful cards.

I also try to stay away from swaps where the hostess is not participating.

In past where I have gotten cards that just weren't right...crooked cardstock, poorly colored image, etc... I have salvaged the cardstock (only particpate in SU only swaps) and try to salvage any accessories. Ones that just aren't "my style" I donate to a local hospice.

One thing I try to do when I am a hostess is if a card is to be swapped where the swapper might be a little more "inexperienced" than the others - I will usually provide another one of my cards (different than the one I have for my swap)...I would never return it...hopefully newer card makers can learn from the swaps they get - I know I definately have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #129  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When looking back in my gallery at earlier cards, they don't even compare to what I do now. At the time I was proud enough of them to put in my gallery. I haven't taken them out because they remind me of how I have grown. One other observation is that a lot of what *we like* is subjective. Cards that I think are great sometimes get no comments and other cards that I post, I wasn't completely happy with have gotten lots of comments. I would just hope that if you participate in a swap that you do your best. You can only control what you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #130  
Mad Swapper

For me , and this is only my opinion for me

I can't believe some people take other peoples work apart to "Salvage" the stuff they think could be used for their art work. I kind of find that ( for a lack of a better word unbelievable )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #131  
Mad Swapper

I don't think you are being disrespectful at all. I've been in a handfull of swaps recently and to be perfectly honest, I've been more disappointed than not. I'm not talking about not liking a particular style, theme or the like. And I am not putting anyone down for a disability they may have either. This hasn't been the case for me. I have received some items that are just not quality at all. I mean, if you are expecting a nice item, do the same in return. I know we all start out at the beginning being a novice, but I received something today that seriously looked like my 7 year old did it, in fact, she could be more creative. I am wondering if having a skill level tagged onto the different types of posts would raise the quality of swapped items or seem snooty. I for one wouldn't join an advanced group for anything unless I was darn confident of my ability to live up to the hostesses standards. Today I just really got rubbed the wrong way with what I received. I put time and supplies into my items and I expect the same in return. I am seriously considering not swapping anymore unless the hostess implicitly requires that everyone maintain a certain level of quality or the items will be returned. I don't mean that you need to spend a fortune on your swaps either. Just having enough pride in your work to share with others would be nice.

Ok, rant over!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 267 Likes on 135 Posts

Well, I'm still waiting for my first swap to arrive, and it closed May 30. How long does it usually take to receive after the swap is over?

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is preparation for a future that only He can see--Corrie ten Boom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

I've never been involved in a card swap and I'm not entirely sure what it is. But after reading many of the posts on this thread, I kinda doubt I would ever participate in one if I were asked.

What some of you feel is sub-par for a card is not the feeling of everyone. Just because I don't choose to put ribbon and glitter and use Copics or real stitching on my cards or several different patterns of paper on one card does not make them any less than anyone else's. That's my style. My style is not plain or simple, I choose to express my creativity a bit more subtle. I don't have a gallery because I don't choose to show off my work. I make cards for individual people and occasions, so they are not meant to show off. I don't need comments on my work.

Each of us does what we feel is pleasing to us. There is no right or wrong. I am no artist and don't paint, other people have the artistic ability to paint. We're all different and also not everyone can have all the bells and whistles of crafting tools. We do our best with what we have.

Patti

As far as
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #134  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by eured99View Post
Well, I'm still waiting for my first swap to arrive, and it closed May 30. How long does it usually take to receive after the swap is over?
I would suggest that you contact the host of the card swap that you were singed up for and see if the cards were swapped and mailed out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #135  
Insane Embellisher

I am a fairly new stamper and have been rather intimdated doing swaps but I always try to do my best work. And yes, my best work may be at a totally different level than some others, but we all have to start somewhere. I enjoy getting and seeing other peoples work and use their cards for inspiration. It's fun to do swaps and I have not been disappointed with what I have recieved back yet. I hope my cards aren't disappointing to others, but I guess it's all up to the individual person.

That's my 2 cents.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #136  
Crimping Master

Karen,
I recently posted to a swap thread that my "technique" was the best I could do, but that everyone who got my card would know for sure it was mine. Why? It would totally suck compared to the wonderful stuff most of you guys do. New stampers want to be a part of the group too. I once had someone to ask if I grouped expertise when mailing out swaps. I said, "No".
Now, on the other hand, if someone is really just throwing anything together, shame on them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #137  
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

Well, here is my two cents...

I don't have a very big gallery, mainly because I don't think that what I have made is as good as some other people's that have galleries here. The very few things that I have in my gallery have received very few comments. If I find a card I like...I comment on it. So, the few comments on my things makes me think people don't like it.

I have only participated in one swap through SCS and I was very pleased with what I received. I loved it because it gave me a better sense of what people can do and/or what they expect. I personally think the tag I made was not as great as some of the ones I received...but it makes me want to do more. And because I have become such good friends with these ladies, I know they didn't just discard my project...they kept it. (Who are we to judge someone's creative efforts--most of us don't do this for money!)

Personally, I think looking at someone's creation and thinking that it is garbage and throwing it in the trash is horrible. It is like someone earlier said, you never know what kind of difficulties the creater had/has. Also, you never know what kind of financial situation other people are in. It would severely hurt my feelings to know that someone threw something in the trash that was part of a swap because it wasn't up to their standards. I guess this is why I haven't ventured out there much. Honestly, I don't buy SU paper. It costs too much for me. I have lots of cardstock in nice colors that I have bought at various places, usually when it is on sale. If I need a special color, I will go somewhere where I can buy the color that I need in a better quality. Mostly only my friends and family receive my cards because of the very reasons you ladies have given for throwing them away. THose that receive my cards love them and wouldn't throw them away because they appreciate the time and effort, (they don't care about the quality of the paper) I have put into it.

With that said, if there are rules that the person didn't follow, I know I would appreciate someone letting me know and helping to find a way to do better next time. Not just throw my creative efforts in the trash.

I want my stuff to be a gift of inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #138  
Pearl-ExPert

I am new to swaps and yes, I have seen some that were not the greatest, but I enjoyed getting them. I also joined the DSS group and was terrified when my new lil sis was someone who was so much more advanced than me I almost died. But, with my surprise, she has enjoyed every card I have sent (or is just a good liar). I worry every time I send my swap off, that some people will not like what I did, but so far I haven't had any negative feedback. I just hope that all of this does not scare a new person from joining a swap. Since I have been stuck at home, it helps me stay sane!!

Jamie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can usually tell the difference between a newbies card and laziness. I've gotten both and always smile with the newbie because I know they worked hard. The laziness cards get chunked and I've had several of those. Those that just look like they didn't care and that's frustrating.

I don't do many swaps anymore because why should I waste my time and materials to not get the same in return.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #140  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh gosh, I'm sorry you were disappointed. But on the flipside, I have to say as a newbie, this made my hair stand up! I just started participating in swaps and this has always been in the back of my mind ~ esp. when I see members start posting to their galleries for "sneak peeks." I don't create cards as you described, but far from a van Gogh ;) I have already seen on one thread as the cards rolled in the hostess saying "great job! Love it!" and with mine just said "received" - ummmm ....... I'm not taking it personally. I try my best. The object, I thought, was to enjoy the process and make friends along the way. I would like to HOPE that is what the other stamper did, too. I would let your hostess know - maybe she isn't aware and can keep it in mind if she hosts another swap again.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #141  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by maconscrapperView Post
Now, on the other hand, if someone is really just throwing anything together, shame on them.
Karen

This is what I am refering to in my post or shall I say, rant. I won't say exactly what it was I received because with swaps, you can get a whole variety of things, but it was so basic and just no effort put into it that I feel cheated really. I guess I'm just not one to half ***** it even if my artistic abilities are no where near those of some of you, at least I put some effort into it.

On the other hand, I am currently hosting a swap and have received some awesome, well thought out items. I so appreciate the effort these ladies have put into their work. Some have gone all out and some have kept it simple, but all are quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #142  
Pearl-ExPert

for this reason i only participate in invite-only swaps where i can see the other ladies' galleries (most of the time their reputation precedes them)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #143  
Polyshrink Goddess

This thread is quite interesting. Since I have only been stamping 6 months, I started swaps to get ideas. I have always been concerned that I was not good enough to do these swaps. I use quality card stock....just had to order $100 of SU cardstock. However, my style is simple like me. While I am amazed at the talent on the board, I always create a clean, simple card. As for signing the back of the card, I did not realize it was a requirement. That is good to know. I just enjoy seeing different concepts and combinations. I truly believe that each person gives his or her best. Call me Pollyanna!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #144  
Polyshrink Goddess

The last swap I was in on SCS I threw most of the them away. One ATC was cut out with a scissors and no care was given while it was being done.

I don't understand why a crafter would do something like that. If she didn't have tools, she should have used a ruler or something with a straight edge as a guide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #145  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our stamp club swaps every other month and the amazing thing is that we've never received two cards that were even remotely similar. And I keep all my swap cards because the people who make them are very special to me. I've never participated in a SCS swap because I CASE everything I make. I'm not creative, but I can copy! But we all need to remember when we first started stamping and keep this in mind:

"Flatter me and I may not believe you, criticize me and I may not like you, encourage me and I'll always remember you."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #146  
Rubber Obsessor

I am very disappointed with some of the image swaps i have been getting. The images were great but they leave no room around the image so on some of the skinny bellas they end up being 1 inch wide which i think is hard to use. I like at least a little border around my images. I know people have different levels of talent when it comes to cards but at least allow a little room around your images. Let the bellas breathe. Dont squish them in a little box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #147  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen71View Post
Unfortunately, I'm right there with you. I have actually stopped participating in a lot of swaps because of this issue. I don't think you're being rude at all, just honest!
I have to agree. I also quit swapping as I was finding that seasoned crafters were not, in my opinion, putting in as much effort to ensuring the quality of their swap offering as I and others were. It was hard to find inspiration when I was left with the feeling that people just didn't care or take enough pride in their work before sending things out. I get all the inspiration I need from the wonderful galleries here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #148  
Inking Addict

Default Swap Newbie with Question

Hi,

I've been scrapping and stamping just a little over 3 years. I led to SCS by my former SU demo. I have just completed work for my very first 3 swaps and have not gotten the cards back.

-Yes, I took great care with my cards, but I also wrote to the hostess of each swap after they received my cards to ask if they were of good enough quality. If they had responded "no," I would have gone back to the table and tried again.

- Also, with my first swap, I e-mailed photos to my former demo (recently moved) and asked her opinion before I mailed them.

- Having said all that, I am grateful that my demo and my stamping friends encouraged my first efforts. They could always point to one thing that they liked about the card (Does anyone else shudder to remember the first things they produced?). This encouraged me to do more.

My question is Can a hostess return cards/remove people from a swap if they do not follow the directions? I, too, think there is a big difference between not following the directions and one's skill level. The first should be informed, and the second should be encouraged.

I am looking forward to receiving my first swap cards, and I'm hoping to be able to hostess a swap at some time in the future.

Also, I don't have any cards posted on the gallery. I am a little anxious about that for some reason, but I may just take the time to do it. It's hard to find the time to make cards much less put them on the internet!!

PS. I have sold over 150 cards for the church camp fund. They have gone like hotcakes!

Blessings,
Shirley

Last edited by hollicefaith; 06-17-2008 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #149  
Mad Swapper

Hey Shirley,

You need to contact your swap hostess right away. Its not fair to make you wait without explanation. I am hosting a scrapbook page swap and am getting frustrated with two swappers who haven't responded to my requests as to where their pages are. They are holding up everyone. I just wish people could keep their word when it comes to what they have agreed to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

I completely sympathize with the OP. I was very reluctant to join a swap here on SCS for fear of my creations not being up to par with the other stampers. I finally jumped in and joined several recipe page swaps which were SO terrific! After doing 4 or 5 of those, I decided it was time to do a card swap, so I found one I was interested in and joined...what a disappointment! I know that I'm no expert stamper like the Dirty Girls, but I think I do alright. Some of the cards I received in this swap were slap-togethers...crooked and roughly cut (and I don't think they were meant to be that way!) Most of the cards that I receved back I threw out...there was no way to decorate them up. A couple were nice enough that I was able to use them...since then I just haven't bothered to join in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #151  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixleyView Post
I love participating in swaps and as long as I get at least 2 back that inspire me or are really great cards I consider it a successful swap. Even with cards I don't care for I can usually take away some idea from it, whether it's colors or layout... Sometimes there are cards that are just duds, but I try to remember that everyone is at different levels and the person who made it was probably really happy with the card.
I think this way too

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #152  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow.. intersting thread.... I am a demo and host swaps here on SCS... and also have joined many... always wondering what people really think of my work... it's not always great, but common, unless you are Beate or Nitestamper... whew!! The pressure.... I was talking to my sideline... ha ha.. friend under my downline.. and we were cracking up cause we were calling ourselves Stamping snobs.... I said: I really don't want to sound like a snob, but as you all have put it, sometimes the quality isn't there... I too agree that there are many levels of expertise ( and I'm WAY OK WITH THAT), but no excuse for not following rules... those are given... I also mentioned to my friend that maybe we were setting ourselves up for failure... we were only requiring a min of 2 layers, embellishments "would be" nice....
Those weren't very firm requirements... so, i said to her... do you think if I set up a swap with all these requirements anyone would join? I have a ton...trust me.. Lots of Layers swaps are mine.... but you know what???? I have been so blessed by everyone on these swaps ... I got exactly what I asked for and they keep rejoining my swaps... So, if you really want more from swaps you are hosting... don't be afraid to ask/require quality (cut neatly, glued straight,stamped well, included all the must haves in the directions... i think that most people won't be offended by this, but will be thrilled to get back what they put into the swap.

You can see some samples here from March, April and May... I have a current new catty one.. it's filling fast.

I've asked... and I've received....

I can live with ... different skill levels.... not blatant: I don't care.

By the way, I do make exceptions sometimes... if someone forgot something, I will check with that group of swappers to make sure it is ok before swapping... that way, i gave them the option. Good luck all.... I love swapping. :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #153  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I must say I agree with most of what has been said on this subject. I have been stamping for about 8 years and my style and ability has improved I'm sure over the years. I belong to two yahoo stamping groups and one I've become very disappointed with the swaps. All this gals have been stamping at least as long as I have and their works has become very sloppy. Most of them have blogs or web sites and their work on those is very nice, but the swaps are not. The last one I got was horrible and there was nothing salvagable on them. I enjoy swaps generally and newbies are fun to watch as they improve and grow over time. I like to encourage rubber stampers regardless of their style, newness, or whatever, we all started somewhere. However, if you are in a swap and just throwing things together, maybe it is time for you to take a break for awhile. Regardless of the swap, I do the best I can and actually I think I go beyond that just because it is a swap.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #154  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

Oh, stampin4sandra, just checked your lots of layers swap, that's my kind of swap, very, very nice.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #155  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I know what you're saying. I stopped taking part in swaps after being disappointed one too many times by the quality of what I received in return for my work. I would consider doing invitation-only swaps, though.

I agree with what's been said: everyone deserves the benefit of the doubts, but some people are consistent in the level of quality that they produce.

I hope the rest of the swap was worth it and I wish you better luck next time!
Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #156  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

"Flatter me and I may not believe you, criticize me and I may not like you, encourage me and I'll always remember you."
WOW, I really like that! I can't believe I never read it before.

I did not read through the whole thread, but did notice it was revived 2 days ago after 3 weeks of no replies. Some things are better off in the back pages ;) Of Couse, I drank far to much coffee today, so I am going to post this which will bump it to the top, aaaaaagain, :rolleyes:

Anyway, cards from newbies certainly have a place. I like using them to show other newbies that it is a learning process. If I had only "experienced" examples to go by, I would have stopped making cards and stamping within no time, if I were to even start! Also, maybe someone let their kids do the swap to encourage them, though they probably should have been up front with it, it does seem like a possibility. There is also the possibility that the person has some type of handicap, and that is the best they can do, and they like to share their best. Quality is really a subjective thing, for me, if my card has a crooked layer.....OH My Gosh......I simply die! And I have measured some of my crooked layers only to find I am less than 1/16th of an inch off :twisted: but I can "see" it and it ruins the whole card for me. Others may not have even noticed that it was on a bit crooked and would be glad to receive it. I am truely thankful that I finally found out how to use a centering ruler, teehehehe, or I would never send out a card :p
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 AM   #157  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
Ok Girls,

Am I being terribly rude if I say I have been disappointed in some of
the cards I receive in my swaps?

I have recently received a card that had an image stamped, colored with crayola and stuck on the card base. there was a brad attached to a corner of the card.

Am I judging to harshly?

I am not one of the stampin queens seen on here, but I put forth much more effort on my cards.

Ok, blast away.....
Here comes my rant:

:::::Start Rant::::::

I just received back a Swap (don't ask me which one because the sender didn't put their return address or name of swap on the envelope) but here's my PET PEEVE on swapping: I am a Bazzill Girl and have always loved their paper. I use their Paper with EVERY card I make. This said swap, I received back 3 cards (out of 6) that were NOT EVEN CARDSTOCK! :mad: Not even your basic cardstock! It was very thin paper of poor quality. I don't expect everyone to use Bazzill but when a Hostess says, "GOOD QUALITY CARDSTOCK", I wish everyone would abide by that.
There's my rant for the day!
::::Rant over::::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:14 AM   #158  
Crimping Master

Default My 2 cents for what it's worth

I remember the very first cards I made. I thought they were fabulous. I was invited to a family (not my own) cookie swap at Christmas. Everyone had to make cookies for each person attending, and give a small gift and card. I was so proud of those cards. Not one person commented on them. So I proudly told them I had made those cards myself (now I think it was quite obvious). Still no comments. (They were very kind) Everytime I think about it now, I am sooooooooooooooooooo embarassed. Those cards were awful. While I am still not in the same category as most of the folks here, I have come a LONG way from that first card. So, maybe this is a rank beginner who thought her card was really really good. I could overlook it once, even twice. I fully understand how you feel though when you send in your quality cards and get beginner cards back. Maybe the hostess of the swap should be explicit about what is acceptable for any given swap, and if it doesn't meet standards for that swap, return it to the originator with a kind note. I quit doing swaps because I got back cards that were dog eared, crammed in an envelope, ink smudged, etc. and because I no longer had the time to do the quality work I would like to receive back. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #159  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettyjoanesView Post
maybe it was a newer stamper who thought it was a good card? I would only be able to do basic cards in any swaps as I am still new to this craft. These kind of comments are why I don't do swaps, it is discouraging for me. no offense meant to anyone just my opinion. Maybe swaps need to be set up in more detail so those participating can be closer to what others would want/expect?
I agree with you.

Maybe they should state if it's a beginner, intermediate or advanced swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #160  
Die Cut Diva

I can totally relate, I just finished up a swap and there where cards that where good and some not so much. I did make sure as the hostess to put into my swap thread a reminder that the swap was open to all levels of stampers, when I returned the cards I treated the not so good ones just like the really good ones. This way the players can see the work of others and help them to emulate it!

Stamp Happy!
Reply With Quote Likes