Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #81  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlinsenmanView Post
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion(s) regarding how they feel about swap items recd. I have not swapped from this site...have felt the pressure would be too much to produce a work of art that I am not capable of. Would feel not too terrible if someone was mildly disappointed in my work but would be crushed to know that it was pitched....and I think most would feel that way.
I know that with my first few swaps I felt so much pressure to make some amazing card. Then after getting a few swaps back I saw the variety of cards and felt a little more comfortable. I think that as long as it's a card you like, that you're proud to share with others, and that follows the rules of the swap, you shouldn't doubt yourself. As wonderful as they are, I don't think everyone wants to get all amazing wow 7 layer cards back. Simple cards can be beautiful and inspiring as well. A lot of demos are looking for cards that are cute and easy to demonstrate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #82  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm just commenting on the post 3 above mine....are there advance swaps here on splitcoast? Or maybe they are just for demos?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #83  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Here is a link for any of you who would like to try a swap. Lynette has been great and was my first swap hostess. Check it out, we need some more swappers. Forums at Splitcoaststampers I hope I did that right, but if not, it is called "All About Your Man" swap. Cards with a manly theme. Newbie friendly hostess.
Thanks Ellen for posting me as a "Newbie Friendly Hostess".

I just read this entire forum and am disappointed in you ladies!!!! Instead of berating these "inadequte" card makers, why not send them some constructive criticism in a PM......Just think how bad the lady with the crayolas is gonna feel if she finds this post!!!!!! i would be ASHAMED!!!!!

As a newbie, I take a lot of time in making my cards and scrap pages....they usually turn out pretty good. I bring my cards to work for my co-workers opinions and have had several requests for cards (which I have done).

For all of you who feel your cards are not worthy, please join my swap...I will love ALL your cards and not be embarrassed to send them out!!!!!!

As for quality cardstock, as long as it is not paper thin, USE IT!!!!!! Not everyone has the money to buy SU!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlinsenmanView Post
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion(s) regarding how they feel about swap items recd. I have not swapped from this site...have felt the pressure would be too much to produce a work of art that I am not capable of. Would feel not too terrible if someone was mildly disappointed in my work but would be crushed to know that it was pitched....and I think most would feel that way.
I agree with the above statement.
I recently joined a swap here, but after reading this thread I'm thinking I should drop it. You all make beautiful cards, and mine are more basic, I just don't make the tons of layers, heavily embellished cards, not that I don't like them, it's just not "my style"

Just my .02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #85  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingonitView Post
I recently joined a swap here, but after reading this thread I'm thinking I should drop it. You all make beautiful cards, and mine are more basic, I just don't make the tons of layers, heavily embellished cards, not that I don't like them, it's just not "my style"

Just my .02
Don't drop it.
To my mind, there are 3 styles of cards:
1. Clean and simple
2. Busy and beautiful
3. Somewhere in between

There are many oldtimers as well as newbies in each category. There is nothing wrong with any category. There are many wonderful cards in each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #86  

Quote:

Just my .02
Don't drop out of your swap. We all should be proud of our cards weather we are beginners or more experienced. I would be happy to have anyone join any of my swaps (current or future ones). That's how we learn and besides like I stated before, swapping to me is more that just about the cards I receive, it's also about meeting others who enjoy my hobby as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Just my .02
Some of the most beautiful cards are sweet and simple!!!
If you would like to join a non-judgemental swap....come visit me:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #88  
Kookie Creator

I agree with much that has been said here.

I just want to say again though, that when you swap, you need to keep in mind that some of the work will not be up to your standards, because some people are new, and I have found that sometimes even experienced crafters are not very good at it, they do it because they enjoy it, but not everyone is a "designer", kwim?

I think that if a swap posts that you must use a specific brand, then the host should return the items if they do not adhere to the rules.

I love swapping, I have made so many friends and have gotten so many nice items.

What puts a bug in my craw is when people use their crappiest product. I always break out my Bazzill, my good ink and pencils, etc. Then I get some that look like they are on typing paper, and that bugs me. I "get" that some people use their scraps, I do too, but use the good scraps, kwim? don't use the ugly ones you hate or that are 5 years old.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #89  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I'm just commenting on the post 3 above mine....are there advance swaps here on splitcoast? Or maybe they are just for demos?
I don't think there is, but don't quote me on that. I will say that I think it may be hard to determine who is advanced and who is not. You wouldn't be able to qualify people just on length of time stamping and one persons view of an advanced card may be another view of an intermediate card.

I have been participating in secret sister type swaps and love them, for one of them I did receive items that clearly were stuff left around the house or freebies from a demo company, but that was 1 out of about 10 have I have done. All the other ones people went above and beyond with the gifts that they sent me and I try to do the same and honor what they include on their likes and dislike lists that we fill out for the swaps. I don't participate in card or scrapboking swaps as my style and taste may not be the same as everyone elses. For the most part I think that people are honestly submitting what they think is their best work, but there will always be people who put no effort into what they submit. It's a tought thing to deal with but if you go into a swap knowing that this might happen you want be as let down when it does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #90  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I don't think there is, but don't quote me on that. I will say that I think it may be hard to determine who is advanced and who is not. You wouldn't be able to qualify people just on length of time stamping and one persons view of an advanced card may be another view of an intermediate card.
I agree with you in that it may be hard to determine who is advanced and who is not. This is why I asked if there were any advanced swaps. I thought maybe there was something I was missing or if they were only for demos. Thanks for answering my question. I'm not a demo so I can't see the demo forum here and I was just wondering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #91  
Forum Fanatic

I don't participate in swaps for the opposite reason...I don't think MY cards will be as good as the ones I receive! I mean, even if I am trying to copy someone's card directly I think the original looks waaay better--and I don't know why. Occasionally I make one I am happy with, but not always. I think if I did do a swap and got a card back because it wasn't good enough, I'd cry! But I'm a baby ;) I do appreciate constructive criticism though, like when my husband says "that would look better if it was centered" or something.
The cards I'm not too happy with I let my dd send out!:rolleyes:
I agree with the others that it depends on the sender, and if they didn't put their name on it then the swap hostess should be dealing with that, right? I would definitely put my best effort into a card, and it's hard to imagine that someone else wouldn't, but I suppose that is always possible--they were in a hurry, etc.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #92  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
I don't participate in swaps for the opposite reason...I don't think MY cards will be as good as the ones I receive! I mean, even if I am trying to copy someone's card directly I think the original looks waaay better--and I don't know why.
Hey there, nottoocreative, I just looked at your gallery and I'd be happy to receive any of your cards in a swap (except maybe the Elmo birthday card - I'm not too into Elmo LOL).

I think when you swap you have to do it for the fun of making cards and seeing what other people do. I've just started swapping and I really don't expect that I will like everything I get back; I also don't expect that everyone who gets one of my cards will like it. Everyone's taste is different. I hope, however, that the recipients will appreciate that I did put alot of work into my cards.

Since I'm a newbie at swapping, I look for swaps that are NVR b/c I don't have many SU items. I also read the requirements carefully to see if I have the supplies to comply with the requirements. I would hope that if the card I submitted didn't live up to the hostess' expectations, that she would return my cards to me with some suggestions. I can always send them out to my friends and relatives - they love everything I make! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to do so many swaps..I was always disappointed with the number of really poor cards that came back to me. I agree that others could be newer as we all were at one time but the quality turned me off so now I dont do any swaps. If I dont participate I cant be disappointed.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #94  
Kookie Creator

I haven't participated in any swaps since my last Secret Sister term ended, but I had kind of a twist on an "ick" card in my last card swap - one of the cards I received just wasn't my style at all... I could recognize that it was well made, but I thought the colors were just icky. It sat on my desk for a few weeks, and an occasion came up where I needed a sympathy card. I don't do many sympathy cards, and I wanted to do something somber and appropriate - what do you know, suddenly the "ick" card was exactly perfect, and I CASEd it for the sympathy cards.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #95  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

Swapping seems to be such an emotional issue here. I recently started swapping and have always stressed about the cards I send. However, isn't the purpose of this site and swapping to make new friends, exchange new ideas and foster our wonderful hobby?

That being said, I do not think there will ever come a time when we love everything we receive no matter what the situation.

I say KEEP SWAPPING, use your stuff. Don't let it sit there collecting dust. Make new friends. Be proud of your attempts.

Okay, I'm done now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Reading some of the comments in this thread almost makes me not want to participate in swaps anymore. I don't want anyone to think my cards aren't "good enough" because they are not on the same artistic level as Michelle Zinforf or Jan Tnk or any of the other SCS "stars."

In all the swaps I've been in, I think I've only gotten 1 back that I thought was poor quality. But that was because the cs was flimsy; the ATC itself was not bad at all. To me, swapping isn't just about the cards; it's also about the chatting in the threads and getting to know each other. I've "met" some cool gals in the swap threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I swap on SCS all the time (just finished #39) mostly ATC's & inchies. There have been times when I have been disappointed but only because the workmanship was sloppy...glue on the outside of card, embellishments that fall off etc. We all have different artistic levels and sometimes simple is much better than elaborate but there should be no excuse for shoddy workmanship no matter what. On the other hand I have received swaps where every card was a WOW. This only my personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #98  
Stampin' Fool

I was reading through the thread again and thought I should respond to my earlier post. I think it may have come off a bit offensive. Sorry! I also should have mentioned that quite a few times I have pm'd certain swappers when I thought their work was fantastic. I wanted them to know how much I appreciated all the work that went into their creation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #99  
Glitter Guru

I have not read all of the post, but I can understand your frustration. My best suggestion would be to look for a hostess who does monthly or quarterly swaps with many of the same gals joining them each time. I would also suggest that you stick with swaps that require SU (or another well known company) only so that you know that the swappers are taking care to use top notch stamps and accessories. If you do find a good hostess, stick with her! Also, be sure that you follow the guidelines set by the hostess. I swapped by mail (I was never a hostess) for almost 3 years while demonstrating, and only once or twice did I ever come up with a card that disappointed me because of quality. I got many more cards that were simply stunning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #100  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
Reading some of the comments in this thread almost makes me not want to participate in swaps anymore. I don't want anyone to think my cards aren't "good enough" because they are not on the same artistic level as Michelle Zinforf or Jan Tnk or any of the other SCS "stars."
Robin: Even very simple cards can be stunning if the stamper takes the time to make crisp clear images and glue items together with care. I would never feel bad about joining in a swap if you are taking the time to follow the guidelines and do your best work. And... sometimes you might show up some of the best gals here on SCS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #101  
Hardware Hotshot

While I think some are trying to get the most by doing the least amount of work and just barely making something that passes for a card .... I also think that others truely are trying there best....

When you sign up for a swap its part of the deal....you take the good with the bad.

I did a mega swap of 110 card fronts last summer .... I would say only 25 were of what I would consider Demo quality.... I just doctored the rest up or tossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #102  
Crimping Master

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynetteAView Post
Thanks Ellen for posting me as a "Newbie Friendly Hostess".

I just read this entire forum and am disappointed in you ladies!!!! Instead of berating these "inadequte" card makers, why not send them some constructive criticism in a PM......Just think how bad the lady with the crayolas is gonna feel if she finds this post!!!!!! i would be ASHAMED!!!!!

As a newbie, I take a lot of time in making my cards and scrap pages....they usually turn out pretty good. I bring my cards to work for my co-workers opinions and have had several requests for cards (which I have done).

For all of you who feel your cards are not worthy, please join my swap...I will love ALL your cards and not be embarrassed to send them out!!!!!!

As for quality cardstock, as long as it is not paper thin, USE IT!!!!!! Not everyone has the money to buy SU!!!

I too am new to card making but I feel that I have an "upper hand" because I have been scrapping for years. I was looking through my first borns scrapbook the other day, the very first page that I completed is the first page of here albulm. It looks like crap looking back now. But, I will never forget the night that I completed it. I had been up allnight working very hard. It was her birth announcment page and it meant a lot to me. Whe I finnaly finished it, I took pictures and sent them to ALL of my family and freinds. It looked like something my now 5 year old put together. LOL! I was sooooo very proud though. Even though I put hours of labor and hardwork into it, it wasn't a master piece. Now my pages are "FABULOUS", just kidding. I would hate for anyone to be discouraged because of a post such as this one. However, I do feel that the orginal poster intitled to feeling the way she does if the someone intentionally sent her crappy cards. But somehow I seriously doubt that was the case. If we remember why we all got into this whole crafting thing (scrapping/cardmaking) it was because we loved it. The site of patterned paper, cardstock, brads, and ribbons jump starts my heart. LOL! If someone took the time to gather the materials and create the cards, I just don't see them sending out something that they aren't proud of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
I too am new to card making but I feel that I have an "upper hand" because I have been scrapping for years. I was looking through my first borns scrapbook the other day, the very first page that I completed is the first page of here albulm. It looks like crap looking back now. But, I will never forget the night that I completed it. I had been up allnight working very hard. It was her birth announcment page and it meant a lot to me. Whe I finnaly finished it, I took pictures and sent them to ALL of my family and freinds. It looked like something my now 5 year old put together. LOL! I was sooooo very proud though. Even though I put hours of labor and hardwork into it, it wasn't a master piece. Now my pages are "FABULOUS", just kidding. I would hate for anyone to be discouraged because of a post such as this one. However, I do feel that the orginal poster intitled to feeling the way she does if the someone intentionally sent her crappy cards. But somehow I seriously doubt that was the case. If we remember why we all got into this whole crafting thing (scrapping/cardmaking) it was because we loved it. The site of patterned paper, cardstock, brads, and ribbons jump starts my heart. LOL! If someone took the time to gather the materials and create the cards, I just don't see them sending out something that they aren't proud of.
Know what you mean!! My first pages aren't so hot either!!! LOL Now I use alot pf pagemaps for inspiration!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #104  
Kookie Creator

I just participated in my first swap a few months ago. I was so stressed about it because I didn't want people to look down on my card. I put A LOT of time in to my cards and they turned out well. I went to the swap and one card in particular I got back looked like my kindergardener did it. I was a little bummed at first but then I reminded myself that the person who made it might have something else going on in her life, might be new, might be a million of reasons. So, I thanked her and put it with my cards. I figure I will give people the benefit of the doubt and I never want to make somebody feel like their work isn't good. On the other hand, I participated in a swap on this website that I was very very disappointed with. This was a swap with very specific instructions and it was for a tool for SU demos so it was required to use only SU materials. I got back items that were most definitely not SU so I can't use the tool. I was so frustrated because I put so much time in to it. So, I just hope future swaps I participate in the people read the actual directions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

I am pretty new to this site but not new to stamping. I haven't joined any swaps yet. I was thinking about it but after reading this thread I might get a gallery of my work put up first to see what everyone thinks of it. I won't send a card out unless I'm proud of the work that I did but I'm almost afraid to join a swap because other people might not like the work that I do. I have been looking at the gallerys here and I can't even compare my cards to what I see here. I don't seem to be as creative as a lot of other people and my cards seem simple. Of course, maybe I'm my own worst critic! LOL

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #106  
Glitter Guru

I joined my first swap last month which inspired me to host my first swap. I met so many wonderful ladies in those threads. I'm so glad that I had the courage to do it. Granted I have been stamping for years, it still takes me hours to do a layout even if it turns out simple in design. Just because a card doesn't have upteen layers and dozen of pop-outs doesn't mean that it isn't a good card. I've been drawn to a basic white card with a nicely colored image on it. I like clean lines. Everybody has to start somewhere and we get nowhere if we don't try. A newbie's card could knock the socks of you just as an "experienced" stamper could just be a nice card. What is experienced anyway? Somebody who has been published or somebody who designs for companies? If that is the case most of us do not fit this bill. When thinking about signing up for a swap look in the galleries of others and see how the conversations flow in the thread. If you like what you see and read, then sign up. I like the idea that if you do not receive a card that is your taste then jazz it to make to your liking. The saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure." I know on my swap just like the one I joined a list is kept of who sent what and who received what. So even if a swapper doesn't sign their card the receiver could inquire about who made a particular one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #107  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
I don't participate in swaps for the opposite reason...I don't think MY cards will be as good as the ones I receive! I mean, even if I am trying to copy someone's card directly I think the original looks waaay better--and I don't know why. Occasionally I make one I am happy with, but not always. I think if I did do a swap and got a card back because it wasn't good enough, I'd cry! But I'm a baby ;) I do appreciate constructive criticism though, like when my husband says "that would look better if it was centered" or something.
The cards I'm not too happy with I let my dd send out!:rolleyes:
I agree with the others that it depends on the sender, and if they didn't put their name on it then the swap hostess should be dealing with that, right? I would definitely put my best effort into a card, and it's hard to imagine that someone else wouldn't, but I suppose that is always possible--they were in a hurry, etc.
Are you kidding? You have a very nice gallery and there were several cards that made me go "Wow!".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #108  
Kookie Creator

for anyone that has posted to this thread that is looking for a swap that is newbie friendly please check out the new swap I have started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #109  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmlittleView Post
for anyone that has posted to this thread that is looking for a swap that is newbie friendly please check out the new swap I have started.
That was very cool of you to start a newbie swap. I think this thread is scaring people off from swaping and it is a good way to get some practice and have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #110  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't participate in swaps either, but it's because I'm so afraid I won't meet the expectations others have, based partially on forums lke this one. Why not specify "Advanced Stampers Only" and then maybe you have the right to criticize the work of a fellow stamper. But if you open it up to anyone at any level, then you are pretty brazen to criticize. Someone, maybe a beginning stamper, was probably very proud of that card that you so abruptly tossed aside. Did you start out as an advanced stamper? Or did someone give you a chance?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #111  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwelchView Post
I don't participate in swaps either, but it's because I'm so afraid I won't meet the expectations others have, based partially on forums lke this one. Why not specify "Advanced Stampers Only" and then maybe you have the right to criticize the work of a fellow stamper. But if you open it up to anyone at any level, then you are pretty brazen to criticize. Someone, maybe a beginning stamper, was probably very proud of that card that you so abruptly tossed aside. Did you start out as an advanced stamper? Or did someone give you a chance?
The problem with making swaps for adavanced stampers is how do you qualify someone as a advanced stamper? Someone may think they are an advanced stamper, but someone may think they are not this could also be said for someone who thinks they are a beginner stamper, but someone else thinks their work is a higher level.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #112  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I belong to a group where we do monthly swaps. at the last swap we had
a bunch of new members. I was really disappointed because I had worked so hard on my cards only to share them with "strangers". The whole time I was
making my cards I was thinking about everyone and how they would oooh and ahhh over my cards.
(In my not so humble opinion) my cards were "over the top" as far as the way
I had used a lot of (rather expensive) embellishments. Several of the people that I wanted to get my cards did not. Some of the cards were not as good as they usually are so yup I was really disappointed this time. A couple of people asked me to make them a card because they missed out. (I took that as a compliment, but now I'm kind of feeling like I don't want to put that much time and effort into my swap cards ever again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I have had all kinds. I quit participating in card swaps for some time, but did participate in specialty swaps -- tags, post-it note holder swaps, recipe swaps -- because I found that I was able to get something out of those swaps more. I did find a wonderful person on SCS to swap with and I agree with Elizabeth that you should try to do that. Also, I agree with Jen - I have tried to make other people's cards better (in my opinion). Finally, I don't know if anyone suggested this, but there's a huge market for card fronts, etc., on eBay. Put a bunch on together and get some $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #114  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwelchView Post

I am one of the ones that posted earlier in the thread that I stopped swapping due to the quality of of some of the cards I received back. What I'd like to add is that I am a new stamper. I didn't start stamping until October 2007 and I have never done any sort of craft previous to this. In my eyes I am a newbie but that doesn't mean I don't owe the other people I swap with my very best quality. Not something thrown together at the last minute because I ran out of time. There is a huge difference.

I realize not everyone can afford SU products so the paper they use is from Michaels - that's what I started with! There are so many different techniques, layouts and examples of colors that work well together here on SCS, that you should never have to receive a card in a swap made with florescent orange copier paper! (just my personal experience, lol)

Last edited by rsalamon; 05-21-2008 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #115  
Mad Swapper

I have read this post from it's beginning.

I hosted a card swap and The degree of card making in it was varied from beginier to advanced, they were all good by the way.

There was this card I thought it clean, simple and cute one thought of as amazing and wanted to know what stamp was used and where to get it. I thought that was awesome.

It's always good to know that someone gets ideas or inspiration from something you did even though it may not be what another would have liked.

Note* In the beginning when I started card making I used paper ( not great quality paper but it was not just regular construction paper either ) and I drew most of my images ( I have to say I was "DA BOMB" lol I was 12........ Now ( not so young anymore LOL I am using stampin up paper and designer paper and basic grey..........etc.... ) I'm still " da bomb" in my head LOL Moral of the story : it's not how big or expensive or name brand type of toys you have but HOw you use your toys that matter, How much effort, How much love, How much inspiration you had making the card that counts.

what's one persons junk might be anothers treasure. you can always donate the ones you do not like to a seniors place or the hospital or church ? if you don't like it who knows you may be making someone else day by donating the ones that are not to your liking to someone else.

I do however understand what some of you are feeling ... for me it is by way of postage . It is getting expensive and you want something in return that will be up to par with what you think is everyones standard of crafting. For me I do swap quite a bit. most if not all the cards I have received are all very pretty , stunning or knock me out I LOVE it type of cards , but there are the select few maybe 2 -3 that I have received that make me upset because I spend so much money in postage and I receive swaps that look like no care was put into it . I'm not complaining about cut clean straight lines ( I think I am one of the guilty ones who for the life of me can not cut clean lines although I have all the cutters and slicers and dicers to do so. ) anyways I digress. I am talking about ones that have coffee stains on them or the stamped images is sloppy or blurred or missing some parts ( meaning stamped so fast that they do not get all the image on to the paper but was still given to be swapped out..... I am referring to swapped images now by the way )
Monkeymama should know what I am talking about. we had an issue like that and we kinda bonded over that and now talk quite a bit on here

So in part if people are happy & proud of their work swap it out. But please do not swap out something that you would not be proud of .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #116  
Gallery Gazer

I hope this thread isn't deterring people from swapping. I don't think that is what Karen intended. I have learned so much from swapping, and that's why I do it. Not to mention how fun it is. I think I have actually improved because of swapping. I have also made some very wonderful friends through swapping. As a hostess, I do my very best to be sure that someone who sends a WOW card doesn't receive all cards in need of improvement in return. I would hope that if someone was unhappy with cards received back would contact the hostess. I know I would try to remedy the situation immediately by sending a +1 card before I donate them. I expect to receive at least one card that doesn't wow me, but I have to say for the most part I am wowed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #117  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

After reading such a wide variety of thoughts posted here, I can see both sides. Yes, its disappointing when you get something that is not up to the quality you were expecting and I can see where newbies, the phyiscally impaired, and financially challenged should not feel bad about not meeting assumed quality standards.

I also think everyone should have the right to say what's on their mind without being scolded for sharing their feelings. As for me, yes I can be disappointed by swaps I've received, but I could never not send someones work or make any modifications to them.

I think that if that swap rules should clearly state the expectations. By stating the quality, showing samples, perhaps adding some qualifications may help the swapees to determine 1) if they are technically ready and can afford to participate and 2) help those who are looking for a certain level of quality will know if they should participate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #118  
Gabfest Goddess

Talking

I'd like to share a conversation that a swapper of mine told me after reading this thread ... I haven't put her name and it doesn't matter really cause I'm sure there's many more that feel this way ...

Originally Posted by ******
Hey, I've just finished reading a lot of people complaining about the swaps they got in return. Could you please give me an opinion about the ones I sent in and let me know if they are good enough? If you think they aren't, you can just send them back to me, unswapped. I used Bazzill CS--I had to buy some just for this, and tried to make them look really nice. Anyway, I'm really feeling uncertain about mine after reading all those posts, so I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks ****

My response:

Yikes!

Where did you read this?! On my swaps?!

I'll just share about my swaps .. first I don't police quality .. I look at the guidelines, look at the swap item .. see if they were followed .. if something is amiss then I private message a swapper (with love) and don't diss on her about her pieces, but ask if she understood the swap .. talk about her piece and give her a choice to redo them .. if not then I replace .. IF she said she did her best and would use it in her own books, I leave it in .. as that's how we all learn to grow and progress ..

But yes I have had two ladies pull out of all swaps, but mine .. but that doesn't mean theirs is good either, that's just what they told me lol

But that's my process and please know you can ask opinions ANYTIME! I won't judge, I will share what my first thoughts are .. but honestly if you do your best and are proud of it .. that's good enuff for me!!

Let me take care of the other complainers = )

Talk soon!

Shelley-

I have read most of this thread and I really believe that hostesses are there for more than just swapping the pkgs .. they set up a swap, the stuff needs to meet the guidelines .. not in a negative mean way .. but in a fair loving way so ALL are happy with their returns ... make sense?!

When I was new here, no one helped me or talked .. I VOWED to myself that I would with ANY newbie that has had questions and I still do this .. I'd rather know, than look (or feel like I was) being wrong, silly or dumb ..

I feel sad for those that don't swap! Yes I know spoken like a true hostess lol .. but there's sooooo much more you learn than just getting stuff back ... ideas, examples, opinions, friends and fun!

That's my 2 pesos from a Hostess point of view ...

Shelley-

If you don't stand behind our military please feel FREE to stand in front of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #119  
Die Cut Diva

Oh I can so relate to this thread. I have alot of swaps open right now. And felt 'compelled' to write a standard letter that I will be including with the return swaps.

I am having two problems, one flakers (lots of them) and low quality of work. I have a swap right now that looks like the images where cut out by a two year old with those blunt tip scissors. I do mean Bad Bad Bad. I plan to return her swap back with a few cards of similar nature.

I also told folks DO NOT SEND swaps in until they are full. What did they do? Sent them in anyway. I have only one or two players for each. I will swap them with things I have on hand but they will not be related to the swaps they sent in. I will never do more than one swap at a time in the immediate future. I've learned my lesson!

If you'd like me to share the letter I have/will be sending out, just let me know.

It is always hard when you get swaps. I always put in my swaps 'please do your best work something you will be proud of'.

Best of luck with your swaps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #120  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know exactly what you mean. In the final swap in which I participated (it's been awhile), one of the swappers sent in a card that was an image printed off of the computer on lightweight printer paper. There were a couple of primas glued on as well. That was enough to turn me off for good. It really makes me sad when I try so hard and receive something that obviously took little to no effort.

On the other hand, in my very first swap I made a card that used no stamping. The hostess didn't specify and it wasn't a stamping website, so I just used punched letters for my sentiment. In later swap descriptions I saw that same hostess type "STAMPED IMAGE" and I was mortified. I thought what I had submitted was alright, but apparently it was not what she had in mind. Sometimes I wonder if the other swappers were also disappointed by my lack of stamping.

I understand your frustration. Good luck in the future if you decide to continue swapping.

Added: And I don't have a gallery in case anyone is wondering. I'm just too lazy I suppose. Perhaps I'll try to do that soon. ;o)

Last edited by CreativeCritter; 05-22-2008 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: side note about gallery
Reply With Quote Likes