Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #41  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a swap snob! I have participated in a variety of swaps and know exactly how you're feeling right now!, but limit them now only to those I know will have quality work submitted. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the coordinator of the swap for a sample of past work (she should be able to point you to a swap card in a SCS member gallery) to give you an idea of what you might expect.

In some cases, I've swapped and wound up with only one card that really knocked my socks off, but to me that was worth it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I soooo know what you mean! I no longer participate in swaps either. I found that what I was sending out was not the same quality I was getting in return - and I was doing card swaps and the "other" swaps which included embellishments, etc. I felt like I was getting someone's rejected items - stuff that really no one wants!

That being said, I don't think you are being harsh. I think if you want quality swaps, you either need to host your own were you can set the boundaries, or just not swap at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_pinkeyView Post
I'm not exactly experienced yet, but I try to make my swap cards look nice. And it probably takes me longer than it should to put my cards together. I've put the cards I've sent for swaps in my gallery, but don't get many comments - hopefully I haven't disappointed anyone. If anyone gets one of my cards and would like to offer helpful hints or how to advice, I'd certainly be willing to make improvements on my future efforts!
I just checked out your gallery. Your work is great! I love your cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
:lol: you must have missed the thread about people not signing their swaps etc;)

What is the standard for identifying your cards in a swap? I'm new to swapping. Should I personalize the back of the card or just attach a post-it? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I have personally loved swapping here on SCS. It is fun to get to know new people and see what they can create. I suppose I just like to think the best of people. I am a self-conscious person and swapping has encouraged me to be proud of my work and most of all willing to share it. That is the perspective that I like to view others too. I just trust that everyone is doing their best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

All of the swaps I have hosted have had mostly great cards. Every other swap gets a card not quite up to par. There has been one person (not a SCS member) whom I don't invite to participate anymore because of the obvious lack of effort. This person also bragged about being in 30-40 swaps a month.

WHen I swap the cards out, I usually post a listing with a quick card description and the maker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Default swaps

I have been on and off this site since 2004. When I was a newbie I participated in a few swaps and then held my own swaps, both were successful. This year I have participated in a few and starting to host a few but after reading this thread I am not so sure about my swaps. It has taken a while for the creativity to flow. Now am not sure about joining any swaps, because thinking that my swaps wouldn't be good enough...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #48  
Glitter Guru

I don't think you are being disrespectful. In any swap, participants should be able to be confident that the swaps they receive in return will be just as good, or close to, the level you make for it.

Quote:

I have been on and off this site since 2004. When I was a newbie I participated in a few swaps and then held my own swaps, both were successful. This year I have participated in a few and starting to host a few but after reading this thread I am not so sure about my swaps. It has taken a while for the creativity to flow. Now am not sure about joining any swaps, because thinking that my swaps wouldn't be good enough...
gmlittle, If you felt you were providing the best quality you could do, then you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by tx stamper; 05-19-2008 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: added comment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #49  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAXYOView Post
I'm a swap snob! I have participated in a variety of swaps and know exactly how you're feeling right now!, but limit them now only to those I know will have quality work submitted. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the coordinator of the swap for a sample of past work (she should be able to point you to a swap card in a SCS member gallery) to give you an idea of what you might expect.

In some cases, I've swapped and wound up with only one card that really knocked my socks off, but to me that was worth it!
Meg can I just say that you ROCK and of course everything else pales in comparison! I personally would never join a swap you are in because I know I'm not worthy!

It must have been an amazing card if it knocked your socks off, cuz your stuff always does that to me...

Ok, enough idolatry... carry on with the thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I dont think you are being terrible for saying this either. Im new to swaps, and have just sent in my first card swaps last week. I know I am new to card making but I did but in my best effort on them. You can tell the difference in a 'new' stamper and one that doesnt put any effort into what they are making or sending to you, in my opinion.

Senior Design Team member for Gina K Designs
Behind the Scenes Crew at StampTV.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #51  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't swapped on this site yet, though I'd like to when I get a bit more free time. However, I was participating in swaps on another website (mostly ATCs) and it just seemed like they were putting a couple of stickers on a piece of CS and calling it a swap.

It's not just Internet swaps. I belonged to a monthly group through a stamp store with about 7 ladies in it. There were a couple who just did outstanding work and a few who were pretty good. But we had one lady whose cards consistently looked like she stamped an image and slapped on some ripped up CS. She always admired all or our cards, but it didn't seem to inspire her to do a better job. And no - she wasn't a beginning stamper. I'm not sure what her story was.

Oh and I agree - I do think you can generally tell the difference between a beginning stamper and one who just doesn't care enough to give her best effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #52  
Crimping Master

Interesting thread, I participated in some swaps because I wanted to be inspired by others work. I try to make the best cards I can and follow the guidelines. I have rec some stunning cards and some not so stunning. And that's okay. It's an opportunity to share ideas with each other. I would hate to scare away people from participating because. Everyone has to start somewhere. The swaps have helped me raise my personal bar on quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixleyView Post
I love participating in swaps and as long as I get at least 2 back that inspire me or are really great cards I consider it a successful swap. Even with cards I don't care for I can usually take away some idea from it, whether it's colors or layout... Sometimes there are cards that are just duds, but I try to remember that everyone is at different levels and the person who made it was probably really happy with the card.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I've hosted and participated in several swaps. Most were great cards, but there are always a few that are 'off'. I hope that the cards I submitted were not considered duds, but no one has ever said anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

as a hostess of swaps, I think it's important to start somewhere, I know my first swap card certainly wasn't the greatest, but I really do swap b/c I love the ideas I get from the cards, and I love chatting with fellow SCS on here, and quite honestly, that's how I've made most of my friends on here, and that has been the most valuable thing to me.

There are cards that I get from swaps, that I use, keep, or donate. I am a therapist, and all the cards that don't get used, I take to work for the clients and co workers to use, and I donate them to charities a lot too. And the cards I may think aren't my specific type of cards, someone else might be thrilled with them. I always post all the cards I receive from swaps in my gallery, and that might help someone determine if they want to join it or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 267 Likes on 135 Posts

Well, I'm new to SCS and card-making, so when I joined my first swap, I asked the hostess for examples of the kind of quality she was looking for. She gave me several gallery examples and that helped a lot. My swap isn't completed yet, but I know I did my best work--at the level I'm at--and I just hope the people who receive it can see that.

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is preparation for a future that only He can see--Corrie ten Boom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't think you're being rude, at least not based on your description of the card.
I participated in a swap when I first started stamping. I was really excited, and worked really hard on my cards. But I was still just a beginner. It wasn't until way later that I figured out that the reason she took so long to get me my share of the swaps back to me was that she probably didn't include mine in there. :embarrassed: She just kept putting me off and putting me off, and when I finally did get something back, I think it was only twelve or so, and I made 20 for the swap. I think she just went to her own stash to give me something that would shut me up! : Recently I was cleaning my stamp room and found that old card I had made and thought, "It's not BAD or anything...just beginner-ish." (sigh) That was the last swap I did. First it seemed like a pain...and later just an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy, this topic has certainly touched a nerve or two! I can definitely relate to everything that has been said...I just joined SCS in January and I have done about 10 swaps. I would have to say that the majority of cards I've received have been good and, even if they're not something that I myself would make, I usually try to get some inspiration from all the cards I receive. That being said, I received a card in a recent swap that blew me away...and not in a good way. The images were smudged and sloppy and there was ink smudged on the back of the card. Don't get me wrong...I'm no Beate, but I try to do my absolute best work for swaps...because I want to send the quality that I'd like to receive. I guess swaps are a crap shoot...or, in the paraphrased words of Forrest Gump, "Swaps are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get!" :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
What is the standard for identifying your cards in a swap? I'm new to swapping. Should I personalize the back of the card or just attach a post-it? :confused:
I normally put my SCS name, real name, and my e-mail address on the back of my swap cards. I have received swaps where just the SCS name is written on the back so at least we know who it came from. Occasionally someone may forget to sign the back of their card, but I may be able to figure that out if most others sign their work. It's just nice knowing who made the card/page.

Regarding the subject matter, I have been in just a few swaps, and so far I have enjoyed all the cards that I received. But I have to add that I do screen the swaps that I join because I got burned on my very first swap (the hostess never sent out the cards that we all sent to her - she just disappeared!). So before I joined another swap, I made sure that the hostess and participants had experience in other swaps. Now I am having a fab time in swaps that I join! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Maybe you could ask a SCS pal to critique a card or two that you would think of sending out and ask for constructive help or ask their opinion. I have found these ladies to be incredibly helpful to new folks and I am sure someone would be happy to look at some of your cards and offer suggestions to a beginner.
I too think that this is a wonderful idea! I use to participate in ATC swaps rather frequently but don't any more because sometimes I also feel like others don't always do their best work. That's just my opinion though.
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

I've participated in swaps at a LSS, through a scrapbooking club and here on SCS. I had just about given up on swaps because I spend a lot of time agonizing over them and it did seem as though some swappers don't put forth as much effort. I do realize that many are newer to stamping and have less supplies but I agree with others here who've said it's pretty easy to identify who is a new stamper and who just didn't put in as much effort.

Recently though I've participated in two ATC swaps and I've been happy overall with the quality of the swaps. Some people made really "WOW" items. If I participate in a swap I do it for the inspiration and not so I have items to give away. My friends and family make such a fuss over my handmade cards that I couldn't give them one I didn't make, even if it was awesome.

I keep them as my little "treasures" and take out the ones I really like from time to time and admire them.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, this is sure interesting to see what others have to say about swaps. I was entertaining a swap, but then because time was an issue, I had to withdraw. I guess, after reading all of the above comments, I'm glad I didnt participate. Reading your comments really helped me see the downfall to getting involved, so I guess i'll just continue to pass. Thanks for your thoughts. Sure helps someone new to the concept of swaps!
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #62  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I sure hope this thread doesn't deter anyone from participating in any swaps. Sure sometimes you will get a card that may not be to your expectations, but you will also receive cards that are. I don't swap just for the sake of swapping, but to also chat with others who enjoy my hobby as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #63  
Mad Swapper

I hosted a large group of ATC swaps a couple of months ago and I was very happy with what everyone did. Well.....there was one that left me scratching my head. It just looked very amateur, like a child had done it. The coloring, the uneven edges, the lack of design. I figured that we all have to start somewhere and hoped that people were kind when they looked at my first attempts.

A few weeks after the swaps I came across a post on another forum from that particular swapper about every day things that we are grateful for. She was talking about how much she enjoyed stamping and how happy it made her to look at other people's work. She then went on to say that really wished she physically could stamp more often and better but her severe rheumatoid arthritis left her practically unable to use her hands most of the time.

Immediatly I felt ashamed of myself that I even thought anything bad about this lady's work. The tone of her post spoke volumes about the enjoyment that she got from this hobby and how she wished she could do more and do it better. So what if it wasn't perfect? Within her limitations, she tried and she participated in something that made her happy. I'm glad she joined my swap because she reminded me that we all pretty much want the same things out of life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

My experience in swapping is rather limited, but I must admit that overall it has been disappointing! I was swapping with a group of local stampers and some wouldn't bring cards, but would still take the cards others had made. With that group, the overall quality was very disappointing! I just quit participating. I don't believe a card has to be elaborate; a clean and simple card that is well put together is just fine to me. I have seen quite a few cards that appear to be just thrown together..... That said, I have been thinking of hosting a card kit swap. I like the idea that you can take the "kit" and make it your own! Any takers?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

I am sorry you have had a disappointing swap experience. I am reminded of several different swapping moments.

The first swap I ever saw ( my friend was the hostess) I was way too new to participate. One swapper made an elaborate seven layer card with many techniques and handmade paper. Her recipe was a full page. Another swapper used a pre made card hand_embellished with kindergarten glitter and if there was any stamping it was the inside sentiment. The cards were swapped out,evenly and everybody who got chunky glitter also got "rewarded" with the seven layer card. Glitter girl went on to swap many more years and be a recognized, and published artist. And every time this topic comes up I wonder what would have happened if she had her cards disqualified and returned.

On another list, a newbie offered to swap one on one with an accomplished stamper and sent off a stamped index card in black ink in an office envelope. The experienced stamper felt so bad for the pitiful image she colored and mounted it and returned it in all its glory in a clear envy with a nice note thanking her for swapping. The newbie was so excited and said that was her only stamp and office ink pad and she had been waiting for her orders to come, but she just couldn't wait to mail off her very first card! (all of us had told the girl she was crazy and to throw the index card away!)So another stamper went on to learn and share from the generous spirit of her first exchange.

The last story.. HA! I was in a swap and one girl made an elaborate scene straight from rubber stamper with many stamps all masked and positioned. Another lady had one image floating in space, unanchored with a catalog cut out on top of the table or chair, whatever it was. I have yet to accomplish a scene worth viewing, but the trick of using a magazine page to snag an image has saved me a few times . There you got a tip, too from the "disappointing swap card"

Finally, I just got back the Prima swap from Kelly and what NICE cards I received!! and (just when you thought I was finished) I worked on those cards with my friend, so we had enough fun actually making stuff that we were already ahead!

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Oh, I would really hope that no hostess would send back someone's swap based on a judgement call like that. If there were rules that were not followed, maybe, but only then. Say the cards missed the deadline, or used an image or paper that wasn't what was requested, that kind of thing.

But returning them because they don't seem "up to par" just seems hurtful. The reasons above are the only reasons I would be disappointed in a swapper's efforts, and I've done swaps for many years. The only thing that bugs me is those that ignore the rules of the swap.

I used to participate in swaps from other SU demos so I could get samples of sets I did not have, and so I could populate my display boards. I was just as happy to put up simple, "less polished" cards, let's say, as I was to put up fabulous works of art. My stampers have always been from different levels of experience, and actually many beginners are quite intimidated by those works of art. They'll look at the simpler ones, though, and know that they could do that, too.

Don't give up on swaps, please! Whether you are disappointed in what you get back or are nervous about what you send in, there's nothing like swaps to gather examples of different looks, different techniques, and yes, see what other swappers expect. If everyone has made sure that they completely complied with the parameters of the swap, done their best work, and gotten the swaps sent on time, there should be nothing to worry about.
This is a great post! I think if a person is a new stamper they can only do so much. Just think about how much they will learn from the cards "they" receive in the swap. If they aren't new and just sending cards that aren't the quality that they usually make, that would be just wrong. Not sure if you get my point, but I would write it off to helping a new stamper. If it gets really frustrating, maybe reduce the swaps you participate in or only do swaps with stampers with experience.

I do understand where you are coming from and I don't think you are being mean about it, just expressing your frustration and venting a little. We're here for you sistah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LavafroggView Post
All of the swaps I have hosted have had mostly great cards. Every other swap gets a card not quite up to par. There has been one person (not a SCS member) whom I don't invite to participate anymore because of the obvious lack of effort. This person also bragged about being in 30-40 swaps a month.
That is obviously the person's problem. This person seems to be over exteneded and rushes to fulfill obligations just to check off another one, rather than taking the time to enjoy a few and really creatingsomething beautiful.

I have never done a swap, but I dont feel discouraged by this thread, not really encouraged either though. I think I am just being reasonable that I do not have time to fulfill dealines and responsibilities to one. I think that the people who are "just not trying" as it had been put, probably are like that in alot of areas of their life. Its a fact of life when you deal with people, there are people who "let us down." I think it would be disappointing to get something not up to par, or at least usable. However, I think after a little pouting, I would get over it, life goes on.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #68  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
I just recently signed up for my first three swaps. I love the idea of swapping, and I am fully aware that I will get back some things that will not be to my liking. I guess I will see how these go before I commit for more. I sure hope my cards pass muster with the other swappers.
I did this also. I am still waiting to get mine back before signing up for anymore.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW!

did I open a soap box or what!

now, I must say - that was not the first card I have received like that and since my life is a mess right now - it just set me off.

I am so sorry if I have hurt any one's feelings about their cards. I have received some awesome cards! I had never seen anyone talk about the cards they received and thought I would do so. I love making cards - and usually join swaps by the same hostesses when I can. I have gotten great ideas from
the cards I have received.

I am not trying to discourge anyone from joining a swap! Everyone should try it at least once!

thank you ladies for all the input! (I did get some private bashing) but
everyone has their own experience and comments.

Have a great and BLESSED day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #70  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I don't think you're being rude, at least not based on your description of the card.
I participated in a swap when I first started stamping. I was really excited, and worked really hard on my cards. But I was still just a beginner. It wasn't until way later that I figured out that the reason she took so long to get me my share of the swaps back to me was that she probably didn't include mine in there. :embarrassed: She just kept putting me off and putting me off, and when I finally did get something back, I think it was only twelve or so, and I made 20 for the swap. I think she just went to her own stash to give me something that would shut me up! : Recently I was cleaning my stamp room and found that old card I had made and thought, "It's not BAD or anything...just beginner-ish." (sigh) That was the last swap I did. First it seemed like a pain...and later just an embarrassment.
I wonder if you just had a bad hostess because I think what everyone else has said about telling the difference between beginner quality and just plain sloppy is right. I, too, get embarrassed when I see one of my first cards, but the images weren't blurry, angles were cut straight, and nothing looked slapped down (mainly 'cause I'm mildly AR/OC, LOL). I've got a friend now who makes "beginner cards" and even if something's not quite straight or a little off, you can just tell she tried and did her best. She's proud of what she's doing and rightfully so.

So don't assume your cards were the problem in that swap.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
ok you probably don't want my opinion on this but I admit I read this thread earlier and was ok with it....

Now I got to thinking... it's coming across as really snobbish...

Maybe its my own personal experience - but a couple of years ago my finances were quite a bit tighter than they are at the moment and I was only able to participate in an ongoing monthly swap with some (now) dear friends by buying my supplies at dollar tree and using "normal" writing or business envelopes (having packed away 99% of my own supplies for an international move) and never once did any of my swap partners complain...

Now I have my supplies back and am using bits and pieces I pick up here and there, and of course I think my swaps are better than they were then... but my (now) friends never mind either way.

I guess what I am saying is maybe try to get to know the person behind the swap and the swap you didn't like so much might have more meaning and become a treasured possession (just think in the future you may have thrown out an early Monet ;) ok maybe not but you get the idea)

PS - I don't do swaps on this board at all because to me it seems like the term "quality cardstock" means "SU only" to too many people and I like my Bazzill, GP and DCWV too much (oh and have just discovered Archiver's own!):lol:
I've received swap cards that have been adhered with photo squares in each corner of the card front only, or cards cut crooked! These cards have even come from demos!!!! They sure don't present their product well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

In the last swap package, I got a (hold your hats) HALLMARK card and envie. Yes, the commercial HALLMARK.

It wasn't a new hostess in this swap.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

Wink Don't give up

Here I am on my soap box again.

When I was brand new I was on another site. In one swap, a lady started a thread where she stated how sorry she was that her swaps were NO LONGER acceptable and she intended to stop swapping and was saying goodbye to all her friends on that site. Why, because a hostest returned ALL HER SWAPS because the swaps were no longer up to her past ability. THE HOSTES who had swap with this person in the past, many times, returned all the swaps because the hostess was ashamed of them

It turns out that this experience swapper had been sick & this was her FIRST swap in months. It was the best she could NOW do, but she was being judged on her past cards.

Also back in about 2002 after I did my first swap here, I found a thread that I think referred to my bad swaps. I wanted to back out of all swaps I had joined but Marlene would not let me. Because of her, I am still here.

I did back out of a swap just before Christmas due to being a Pre-diabetic with monster headaches. I have not swapped until April when I did Milwaukee regionals and I was invited to join a SCS swap there. I had one lady look at my floor swaps and ask to swap because she said "I would like to swap with you, I can tell you did a good job� I got a Dahlia fold card from her. She made my day. And 6 years ago one lady stated a thread that describes a card I did badly.

Don't give up. I will swap with any one who asks me.

Betty_s_k
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogwomanView Post
I am in a swap with my local SU club. I know that every month I am going to get 2 cards that I hate. The ladies that are making them are the sweetest people in the world. They are sincerely doing the best they can. They just don't have any talent. Not that mine is great. But they really enjoy making the cards. I would never squash their enjoyment by telling them that I don't appreciate their cards. I find that I learn something from every card I get. Even if it is what not to do.
I agree, I am in a swap and some I've got have not been the best, but I try to look at it like this....maybe they like doing it, but just don't have the money to buy quality materials to work with. And I get enough really really pretty ones to make up for the one or two that are not as good. jmo
One of Kota's Kids

Mary T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 AM   #75  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is a link for any of you who would like to try a swap. Lynette has been great and was my first swap hostess. Check it out, we need some more swappers. Forums at Splitcoaststampers I hope I did that right, but if not, it is called "All About Your Man" swap. Cards with a manly theme. Newbie friendly hostess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion(s) regarding how they feel about swap items recd. I have not swapped from this site...have felt the pressure would be too much to produce a work of art that I am not capable of. Would feel not too terrible if someone was mildly disappointed in my work but would be crushed to know that it was pitched....and I think most would feel that way.
However have swapped ATCs and cards and the like from outside of this arena and have been happy with what I sent and what I recd be it in the styles and level that I am at and other styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

I'd like to encourage stampers of all abilities to swap. What an excellent way to hone your skills. I attribute my successful card making business partly to my swapping in my early stamping days. Not only did the practice increase my skill but the variety of layouts and color schemes broadened my artistic senses.

I'd also like to encourage those that receive swaps to keep an open mind about the quality of swaps received. Swapping is a crapshoot...some cards will be fabulous, some less so, but overall I think all swappers win. If you get a swap that you can't use, you can always turn it into a full card and donate it to nursing homes, cancer support groups, military people, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have stopped participating in swaps for the same reason. The hostess specified quality paper and products but I'm pretty sure some of the cards were made on construction paper. I acknowledge everyone has different skills and tastes. So I just decided was better off not being disappointed with what I received back. I do really love getting into image swaps. All sorts of new images and are always on good quality paper. So my resolution to the swap problem was stick with image swaps and surf the galleries for inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbettyView Post
In the last swap package, I got a (hold your hats) HALLMARK card and envie. Yes, the commercial HALLMARK.

It wasn't a new hostess in this swap.
okay. i think that takes the cake.

now, onto what i wanted to say originally.
i think that swaps are a great way to get ideas. that's how i look at it. stampers are at all different levels. that's just how it is. i do think there should be swaps that are for beginners/intermediate/advanced, and separated like that. there should be guidelines.
i went to a stamp event (when i was a brand new demo), and i made calendar bookmarks. nothing crazy, they had multicolored polka dots on them. they weren't fancy. the bookmarks were matted on colored cardstock, and they had my information stamped on the back.
i got lovely comments from everyone. about how great the idea was, and how they loved the colors i used. and the cards i got back in the swap were amazing. but i felt that i'd done something useful, you know?
anyway, onto my point. i think the swaps here should have different levels. if you're looking for some amazing, intricate cards, join an advanced swap. if you're a newbie stamper, and you don't have all of the products at your disposal, join a beginner swap.
and i'm done. make sense? i don't participate in swaps, really. mostly cause i never have time. lol. but i don't want anyone to be discouraged.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

I totally understand everyone's POV regarding swaps - it's frustrating when your expectations aren't met - but it's equally joyous when they are exceeded.

My personal feelings are that I am not going to stop swapping. My attitude when participating in either a SCS swap or a shoebox swap is that I am going to encounter a myriad of samples - some I will like, some not so much. No big deal to me - I go with the flow.

From the words of Forest Gump: "Swaps are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".

Swap on ladies & have fun!!! :-)

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes